Search found 59 matches

by Stargazer71
Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:49 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1761: "Blame"
Replies: 138
Views: 19143

Re: 1761: "Blame"

Are you under the impression that only celebrities and politicians are able to interact with people on Facebook who are not their direct friends? Nope. I'm pretty comfortable in the knowledge that nobody gives a sh** about what anybody says on facebook, with the only notable exceptions being celebr...
by Stargazer71
Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:14 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1761: "Blame"
Replies: 138
Views: 19143

Re: 1761: "Blame"

How do you know that's a fact? Because the only exceptions are celebrities and politicians. I'm making the very safe assumption that if netsplit were any of these, he or she wouldn't be hanging around here. Yes, we already know that you are personally unaffected enough by this election that you're ...
by Stargazer71
Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:04 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1761: "Blame"
Replies: 138
Views: 19143

Re: 1761: "Blame"

This comic was a GOMHR moment for me. I let the Trump voters have it on Facebook. It wasn't pretty, and I'm a little embarrassed about it. Still he is going to hurt a lot of people, and his voters need to understand the evil they voted for, out of selfishness or stupidity. The question becomes, wha...
by Stargazer71
Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:22 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1761: "Blame"
Replies: 138
Views: 19143

Re: 1761: "Blame"

More like on people you thought were your friends but who just voted for a person whose administration ... I am friends with a bunch of liberals. I can say with absolutely no hesitation that a meaningful friendship is worth *way* more than any political view. Unloading on them because you're disapp...
by Stargazer71
Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:33 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1761: "Blame"
Replies: 138
Views: 19143

Re: 1761: "Blame"

This comic was a GOMHR moment for me. I let the Trump voters have it on Facebook. It wasn't pretty, and I'm a little embarrassed about it. Still he is going to hurt a lot of people, and his voters need to understand the evil they voted for, out of selfishness or stupidity. The question becomes, wha...
by Stargazer71
Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:54 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1756: "I'm With Her"
Replies: 446
Views: 62341

Re: 1756: "I'm With Her"

I'm just saying. If this is your method of coming to terms with yesterday's outcome, then all the more power to you. But just know--it ain't gonna happen. Period. I didn't bring the topic up, I was just commenting on the ongoing conversation about it. I did conclude by saying that California leavin...
by Stargazer71
Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:03 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1756: "I'm With Her"
Replies: 446
Views: 62341

Re: 1756: "I'm With Her"

I support secession anywhere at any scale on general principles, but furthermore, for consequentialist considerations (...) Yeah, so, this has been tried before. It didn't end peacefully. If California were to actually try it, peace would probably fail for the same reason it did before--who owns th...
by Stargazer71
Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:50 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: 2016 US Presidential Election
Replies: 8482
Views: 709281

Re: 2016 US Presidential Election

Liri wrote:I think voters are just stupid and sexist and racist.


Eventually, you're going to need to find a new adjective for people you disagree with.
by Stargazer71
Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:41 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1756: "I'm With Her"
Replies: 446
Views: 62341

Re: 1756: "I'm With Her"

Both slogans reflect everything that is stupid, shallow, petty, and ignorant in American politics. The attitudes that they reflect neatly sum up how we got into this mess in the first place. Anyone repeating them with a straight face should consider whether they are part of the problem. Maybe you j...
by Stargazer71
Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:47 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1756: "I'm With Her"
Replies: 446
Views: 62341

Re: 1756: "I'm With Her"

Also, am I the only one who notices how subtly insulting this comic is? "If you're having trouble voting, here's a phone number?" I mean seriously--what kind of half-way informed voter can claim that they are having trouble voting? The kind who is being intimidated by outsiders trying to ...
by Stargazer71
Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:29 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1756: "I'm With Her"
Replies: 446
Views: 62341

Re: 1756: "I'm With Her"

Also, am I the only one who notices how subtly insulting this comic is? "If you're having trouble voting, here's a phone number?" I mean seriously--what kind of half-way informed voter can claim that they are having trouble voting? I mean, is this supposed to help get the votes people who ...
by Stargazer71
Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:20 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1756: "I'm With Her"
Replies: 446
Views: 62341

Re: 1756: "I'm With Her"

I see Randall also has a troubling lack of integrity. https://blog.xkcd.com/2008/01/28/obama/ I do find it mildly amusing how much Trump scares liberals into abandoning principles they formerly espoused: I’m a political junkie, but I’ve largely kept that out of xkcd Clinton has done nothing of the ...
by Stargazer71
Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:35 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1732: "Earth Temperature Timeline"
Replies: 523
Views: 59087

Re: 1732: "Earth Temperature Timeline"

What level of detail is necessary for public communication to qualify as "scientifically honest?" Is it dishonest to show drawings of the solar system that aren't to scale? Nice straw man. There aren't many people out there who need convincing about the existence and position of the plane...
by Stargazer71
Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:43 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1732: "Earth Temperature Timeline"
Replies: 523
Views: 59087

Re: 1732: "Earth Temperature Timeline"

(Unless you're a meaniehead and you just want to argue online. Then it is immensely useful). When did "meaniehead" come to apply to something other than people who argue about topics related to social science/social justice? I've seen it used twice today to refer to people on the side of ...
by Stargazer71
Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:24 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1732: "Earth Temperature Timeline"
Replies: 523
Views: 59087

Re: 1732: "Earth Temperature Timeline"

(Nevermind the stuff I mentioned earlier about it being two datasets with different characteristics tacked onto each other. Onward soldiers!) The purpose of this plot isn't to present scientific evidence, but to communicate scientific conclusions to the public. Instead of nitpicking about the way t...
by Stargazer71
Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:05 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1732: "Earth Temperature Timeline"
Replies: 523
Views: 59087

Re: 1732: "Earth Temperature Timeline"

(Nevermind the stuff I mentioned earlier about it being two datasets with different characteristics tacked onto each other. Onward soldiers!) Scientists frequently adjust their data to eliminate noise, which is only a problem if the noise is relevant (ie: if it's not actually noise). Do you think t...
by Stargazer71
Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:33 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1732: "Earth Temperature Timeline"
Replies: 523
Views: 59087

Re: 1732: "Earth Temperature Timeline"

This comic has been featured on the Washington Post website. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2016/09/12/you-think-global-warming-is-a-sham-because-climate-has-changed-before-read-this-comic/?tid=pm_local_pop_b Social justice warriors, your mission is clear. You have your...
by Stargazer71
Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:27 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1732: "Earth Temperature Timeline"
Replies: 523
Views: 59087

Re: 1732: "Earth Temperature Timeline"

Naah... the DJIA is a fractal curve. Aside from some very low-frequency shapes, it looks the same no matter how you zoom (semi-joke). I thought about that, thus my decision to say a 5 year sliding average. I think you'd get a much smoother graph if you did it that way. Admittedly however, I haven't...
by Stargazer71
Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:18 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1732: "Earth Temperature Timeline"
Replies: 523
Views: 59087

Re: 1732: "Earth Temperature Timeline"

Hmmmm ... I suddenly want to create a graph of the Dow Jones for the last 50 years (adjusted for inflation, plotted on a sliding average of 5 years). Then 1 month from the end of the graph, I'll switch over to a daily graph. Just for fun. ... The economy is on the fritz by the way. The graph I'm ab...
by Stargazer71
Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:44 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1732: "Earth Temperature Timeline"
Replies: 523
Views: 59087

Re: 1732: "Earth Temperature Timeline"

Hmmmm ... I suddenly want to create a graph of the Dow Jones for the last 50 years (adjusted for inflation, plotted on a sliding average of 5 years). Then 1 month from the end of the graph, I'll switch over to a daily graph. Just for fun. ... The economy is on the fritz by the way. The graph I'm abo...
by Stargazer71
Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:22 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1626: "Judgment Day"
Replies: 63
Views: 8461

Re: 1626: "Judgment Day"

gmalivuk wrote:
Apeiron wrote:We have different words because they have different meanings.
Then why do we also have so many synonyms and homonyms?


Because linguists hate us and want us to be miserable.
by Stargazer71
Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:46 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1626: "Judgment Day"
Replies: 63
Views: 8461

Re: 1626: "Judgment Day"

Minutes after the comic, North Korea, having outdated computers still running Windows 10 and functioning nuclear weapons*, then goes to town like a bull in a china shop.

( *though just barely :D )
by Stargazer71
Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:57 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Us supreme court requires same sex marriage [split]
Replies: 96
Views: 17659

Re: Us supreme court requires same sex marriage [split]

Remember this is the same USA that had the clause "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness." in their declaratoin of ind...
by Stargazer71
Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:25 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Us supreme court requires same sex marriage [split]
Replies: 96
Views: 17659

Re: Us supreme court requires same sex marriage [split]

Chen wrote:That list of legal minds aren't legislators though. If no one brings a case up before them, why would they need to consider the interpretation of the amendment to cover that circumstance?


So in your opinion, the intentions of the authors is irrelevant when interpreting an amendment?
by Stargazer71
Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:04 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Us supreme court requires same sex marriage [split]
Replies: 96
Views: 17659

Re: Same-sex marriage now legal in 24 states

Twitter Bingo! Five of my American friends have now repeatedly stated "LOOK, I'M TOTES FOR GAY MARRIAGE, I'M NOT A BIGOT OR ANYTHING, BUT I JUST CAN'T BELIEVE EVERYONE IS TRAMPLING ALL OVER THE CONSTITUTION!!!! YOU CAN'T CHANGE THE CONSTITUTION!!!" When asked to defend their point, a few ...
by Stargazer71
Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:50 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1438: "Houston"
Replies: 58
Views: 15350

Re: 1438: "Houston"

Maybe I'm nitpicking, but they never said, "Houston, we have a problem." That was from the movie Apollo 13. The direct quote was: "Ok Houston, I believe we've had a problem here. (This is Houston, say again please). Houston we've had a problem." This one (along with the whole &q...
by Stargazer71
Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:20 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1438: "Houston"
Replies: 58
Views: 15350

Re: 1438: "Houston"

Maybe I'm nitpicking, but they never said, "Houston, we have a problem." That was from the movie Apollo 13. The direct quote was: "Ok Houston, I believe we've had a problem here. (This is Houston, say again please). Houston we've had a problem." This one (along with the whole &qu...
by Stargazer71
Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:51 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1432: "The Sake of Argument"
Replies: 203
Views: 27985

Re: 1432: "The Sake of Argument

Is it just me, or is Randall starting to exhibit the symptoms of the SJW-plague? I don't want XKCD to go in the direction of Sinfest... Yeah, because if there's one thing plaguing the Internet these days, it's definitely a desire for too much justice . Like, do you not get how much it sounds like y...
by Stargazer71
Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:55 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1357: "Free Speech"
Replies: 1346
Views: 134012

Re: 1357: "Free Speech"

It would be nothing more, if marriage-as-religious-ceremony groups simply then said, "so you can't get married in our religion." But they don't stop there. They try to nullify any other definition for everyone else, even if those others aren't affiliated with their religion (and often esp...
by Stargazer71
Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:29 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1357: "Free Speech"
Replies: 1346
Views: 134012

Re: 1357: "Free Speech"

Thinking a group should not enjoy the same rights as you, when others think differently is diversity. Acting to prevent a group from enjoying those rights is not diversity. It is suppression of diversity. You are absolutely correct. However the crux of the matter comes down to whether marriage is a...
by Stargazer71
Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:26 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1357: "Free Speech"
Replies: 1346
Views: 134012

Re: 1357: "Free Speech"

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:
Stargazer71 wrote:I have yet to see any evidence that I could make a reasonable statement without someone typing an outlandishly long TL;DR style response that begins with nothing but personal attacks. It's not worth my time.

My posts are too long?


I said, "someone." Not, "everyone." :)
by Stargazer71
Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:15 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1357: "Free Speech"
Replies: 1346
Views: 134012

Re: 1357: "Free Speech"

In my defense, Godwin's Law already came true about an hour ago. :) Yet more evidence that you are too lazy or too intellectually dishonest to bother reading the thread. The first mention of "Nazi" was on page 1 and of "Hitler" was on page 8, both of which were posted on Friday....
by Stargazer71
Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:08 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1357: "Free Speech"
Replies: 1346
Views: 134012

Re: 1357: "Free Speech"

My views on gay marriage are far more complicated than a straight up yes/no opinion. I won't divulge them, because it will undoubtedly result in more people bashing me as being an intolerant bigot. Oh come now, no one will leap to bash your opinions unless they're bigoted! Are they bigoted? Nobody ...
by Stargazer71
Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:01 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1357: "Free Speech"
Replies: 1346
Views: 134012

Re: 1357: "Free Speech"

gmalivuk wrote:
Stargazer71 wrote:I have yet to see any evidence that I could make a reasonable statement
That's the most reasonable statement you've made so far!

Q.E.D.
by Stargazer71
Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:57 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1357: "Free Speech"
Replies: 1346
Views: 134012

Re: 1357: "Free Speech"

My views on gay marriage are far more complicated than a straight up yes/no opinion. I won't divulge them, because it will undoubtedly result in more people bashing me as being an intolerant bigot. Oh come now, no one will leap to bash your opinions unless they're bigoted! Are they bigoted? Nobody ...
by Stargazer71
Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:52 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1357: "Free Speech"
Replies: 1346
Views: 134012

Re: 1357: "Free Speech"

I agree with the points made by the author and have reiterated them. I've been called an intolerant bigot because of it. If A==B and B==C, then...? That article is absolutely correct. While I disagree with some of the opinions of the people who wrote it, I proudly say that it was written and signed...
by Stargazer71
Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:45 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1357: "Free Speech"
Replies: 1346
Views: 134012

Re: 1357: "Free Speech"

To be fair, I think it's a bit sad that one of the co-founders of that company had to step out of it, but it probably means something: that when given the choice, he'd rather be a bigot than the CEO. He'd rather have hateful beliefs than be the leader of his baby of 15 years. Imagine that for a sec...
by Stargazer71
Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:41 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1357: "Free Speech"
Replies: 1346
Views: 134012

Re: 1357: "Free Speech"

Because those who imply that the authors are driven by bigotry and intolerance might hit a snag in their line of reasoning. Ok, it's driven by ignorance. Probem: soved Fair enough. Rather than pointing out bigotry and intolerance like others have absurdly done, can you point out the ignorance? That...
by Stargazer71
Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:31 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1357: "Free Speech"
Replies: 1346
Views: 134012

Re: 1357: "Free Speech"

Because those who imply that the authors are driven by bigotry and intolerance might hit a snag in their line of reasoning. Ok, it's driven by ignorance. Probem: soved Fair enough. Rather than pointing out bigotry and intolerance like others have absurdly done, can you point out the ignorance? That...
by Stargazer71
Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:26 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1357: "Free Speech"
Replies: 1346
Views: 134012

Re: 1357: "Free Speech"

Because those who imply that the authors are driven by bigotry and intolerance might hit a snag in their line of reasoning. Ok, it's driven by ignorance. Probem: soved Fair enough. Rather than pointing out bigotry and intolerance like others have absurdly done, can you point out the ignorance? That...

Go to advanced search