Search found 54 matches

by Phoenixxl
Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:07 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Hifaleetin' thoughts
Replies: 90225
Views: 9377733

Re: Momentary/Meandering/Meditations (Random like the plague

Moo wrote:Go start a frigging topic, people.


You're right this has gone way beyond it's intended scope , at least by me , I was hoping for a handful of on topic replies.

If I had known it would have been like this I would have started a topic , and maybe not even that.

Sorry.
by Phoenixxl
Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:58 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Hifaleetin' thoughts
Replies: 90225
Views: 9377733

Re: Momentary/Meandering/Meditations (Random like the plague

Not wanting to debate about the exactitude of a wikipedia article . Given that you started off here complaining about the use (or mis-use or conflation) of the terms socialism / communism, this is dreadfully amusing. I wouldn't want to deny you your chuckles. My questions are still these: Why are s...
by Phoenixxl
Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:12 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Hifaleetin' thoughts
Replies: 90225
Views: 9377733

Re: Momentary/Meandering/Meditations (Random like the plague

Saying that the current socialist parties in Australia (ALP) , Belgium (SP), Holland (SP), Sweden (S) , The united kingdom (Labour Party), Japan (SDP) ..and the rest of the modern democratic world have anything to do , with Stalin , or communism or are in fact there to serve as stepping stones towa...
by Phoenixxl
Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:38 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Hifaleetin' thoughts
Replies: 90225
Views: 9377733

Re: Momentary/Meandering/Meditations (Random like the plague

My questions still being :

Why are socialists in Europe and other parts seen as some kind of communists?

How much is this notion propagated in US media?
by Phoenixxl
Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:10 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Hifaleetin' thoughts
Replies: 90225
Views: 9377733

Re: Momentary/Meandering/Meditations (Random like the plague

Sweden's political landscape is completely homogeneous. It's a featureless gray mess of social-liberalism brought on by both blocs trying to gain votes by adopting an agenda as similar as possible to the other bloc. Absolutely agree. Same for most European countries. Hence I don't get why Americans...
by Phoenixxl
Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:03 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Hifaleetin' thoughts
Replies: 90225
Views: 9377733

Re: Momentary/Meandering/Meditations (Random like the plague

Ever thought that you might have it wrong instead of everyone else? No. "Everyone else" ... Just insulting really.. You're putting me in a "me vs everyone else" position.. on what grounds .. Don't pull the superiority card on me . Socialism has always meant the middleground betw...
by Phoenixxl
Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:56 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Hifaleetin' thoughts
Replies: 90225
Views: 9377733

Re: Momentary/Meandering/Meditations (Random like the plague

Uh, the socialist democrats in Sweden (S) aren't that socialist anymore. They're snug comfortable in the middle, whining about losing votes for some unfathomable reason. >.> That's just it !!! They *are* just socialists. _Central Left_ . Like everywhere else ! It has nothing to do with communism . ...
by Phoenixxl
Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:31 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Hifaleetin' thoughts
Replies: 90225
Views: 9377733

Re: Momentary/Meandering/Meditations (Random like the plague

I agree that people throw it around too much, and when they do use it correctly make it sound necessarily bad (technically you could say the national parks system is socialist, it's gov't owned land for the use of everyone, but that's hardly bad), but it's silly to deny that socialism has any conne...
by Phoenixxl
Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:59 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Hifaleetin' thoughts
Replies: 90225
Views: 9377733

Re: Momentary/Meandering/Meditations (Random like the plague

.... exploiting it for political gain, and the tragically..... After my rant about this on the 28th , I saw someone mention socialism again today in another thread .. So thinking to myself that this wasn't normal and apparently Americans use the word socialism in the weirdest places .. I had a look...
by Phoenixxl
Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:49 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Lucky Ten Thousand (TIL)
Replies: 13427
Views: 1772692

Re: Today I Learned

TIL about the time traveler in a Chaplin film. Who apparently got a cellphone off of the Doctor. TIL that cellphones work without cellphone towers, we're going to forget how to make earpiece-sized cellphones before we invent time travel, and the shadow of a hand is a "small black object."...
by Phoenixxl
Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:12 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Delineating homage and ripoff.
Replies: 36
Views: 3838

Re: Delineating homage and ripoff.

Flash and Fantavision .. http://vimeo.com/15075737 I wonder if the guys at macromedia even knew about this old thing. I was quite impressed by it at the time though. -- EVERYTHING IS A RIPOFF OF EVERYTHING ELSE! There are some blatant shameless scavengers and copiers around though. I would really en...
by Phoenixxl
Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:30 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Hifaleetin' thoughts
Replies: 90225
Views: 9377733

Re: Momentary/Meandering/Meditations (Random like the plague

I have fits of '90s homepage web design nostalgia. Midi all-over the place was indeed horrible. Tbh I was too busy hating the world for not using BBSes any more for it to have an emotional impact at the time. Drafted for military service (abolished 1 year later .. hurray for irony) I asked a friend...
by Phoenixxl
Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:45 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Hifaleetin' thoughts
Replies: 90225
Views: 9377733

Re: Momentary/Meandering/Meditations (Random like the plague

nopacman wrote: holy mushroom, it's been done already: http://www.angio.net/pi/piquery


86441733 80085 681692321347


woohoo
by Phoenixxl
Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:12 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Hifaleetin' thoughts
Replies: 90225
Views: 9377733

Re: Momentary/Meandering/Meditations (Random like the plague

Google docs if you only have a browser !
by Phoenixxl
Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:34 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Delineating homage and ripoff.
Replies: 36
Views: 3838

Re: Delineating homage and ripoff.

So was Ms-dos an homage to CP/M ? This thread should clarify that.
by Phoenixxl
Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:34 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Hifaleetin' thoughts
Replies: 90225
Views: 9377733

Re: Momentary/Meandering/Meditations (Random like the plague

And it happened again today ... No , dear American people , we're not all communists in Europe . Like a lot of people , I dabble in on-line games to pass the time every so often . After some playing and chatting , the inevitable conversations start .. one of which is a repeat offender on the US serv...
by Phoenixxl
Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:47 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Hifaleetin' thoughts
Replies: 90225
Views: 9377733

Re: Momentary/Meandering/Meditations (Random like the plague

lot of time walking around


I HATE YOU FEET! I don't care how many wonderful places you got me to from London to Paris or whatever! You can never make it up for this!
by Phoenixxl
Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:59 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Hifaleetin' thoughts
Replies: 90225
Views: 9377733

Re: Momentary/Meandering/Meditations (Random like the plague

In the " Is it just me? " line of random thoughts.

Image

I guess I got my answer.
by Phoenixxl
Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:46 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: You are the last person left on earth. What do you do?
Replies: 256
Views: 47227

Re: You are the last person left on earth. What do you do?

nopacman wrote: Check an online irc client, same results. Notice the ausence of humans worldwide


I just tried that ! I found an IRC channel with heaps of people , I asked some random question and nobody answered !! IT'S HAPPENING !! They're all dead behind their computers !!!!!
by Phoenixxl
Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:22 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: You are the last person left on earth. What do you do?
Replies: 256
Views: 47227

Re: You are the last person left on earth. What do you do?

Fertility clinics. They have quite a few frozen embryos, which should be viable as long as you sustain power. Would those stick in a gorilla , or other great ape .. Maybe a somewhat modified one , on some drug . Weren't they doing trials breeding pigs with specific bits of human DNA so their heart ...
by Phoenixxl
Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:21 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Hype your ripe snipes 'n' gripes
Replies: 28619
Views: 3582392

Re: Rant Thread (to balance Awesome Thread)

.....at 5000 keys per minute.....


That's more than 2X as fast as my 1st modem !

666 baud ... that's an evil speed to type at !
by Phoenixxl
Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:26 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: You are the last person left on earth. What do you do?
Replies: 256
Views: 47227

Re: You are the last person left on earth. What do you do?

Thinking about all this again while doing my shopping this morning , a few things came to mind. You all seem to be quite brave , and most of you don't foresee crippling emotional distress form something like this happening. - The everyone except me drops dead scenario , seen from a "knowing&quo...
by Phoenixxl
Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:25 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Hype your ripe snipes 'n' gripes
Replies: 28619
Views: 3582392

Re: Rant Thread (to balance Awesome Thread)

I don't have an answering machine at all , not even my cellphone goes over to answering machine after a certain amount of beeps. When someone calls me from a phone that doesn't show it's number , mine doesn't even ring. I want the option to not be there , and not need to hear what some people want t...
by Phoenixxl
Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:54 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: You are the last person left on earth. What do you do?
Replies: 256
Views: 47227

Re: You are the last person left on earth. What do you do?

I'd probably be frantically thinking of ways to get something going that resembles my current life .. Leaving the thinking about what just happened for later. I'd try and find some place that has a wind generator tho. Or a few places that have them. And of course get a computer going(cant... help......
by Phoenixxl
Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:30 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Overpopulation and ramifications.
Replies: 125
Views: 11545

Re: Overpopulation and ramifications.

What makes you think that the less fit members of the population in the current environment would necessarily be the less fit members of the population after <insert something here that kills groups of peoplel> happens? You are right when by that you mean , we have no idea of knowing what trait wou...
by Phoenixxl
Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:14 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Overpopulation and ramifications.
Replies: 125
Views: 11545

Re: Overpopulation and ramifications.

For humanity right now, evolution is moot. It doesn't matter anymore. As fast as our bodies change for better or for worse, our tech changes faster. And that is what I have been saying. I was under the impression that you're saying it DOES matter. Because if we continue to...not evolve then we won'...
by Phoenixxl
Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:53 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Overpopulation and ramifications.
Replies: 125
Views: 11545

Re: Overpopulation and ramifications.

@JudeMorrigan : I know , quoting isn't all that handy on this forum. Did you read the article? I did again now , and yes you're right . What I was refering to as devolution , is not the right word to use in what i meant. Genetic drift causes changes that may be beneficial, neutral, or detrimental wh...
by Phoenixxl
Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:01 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Overpopulation and ramifications.
Replies: 125
Views: 11545

Re: Overpopulation and ramifications.

djkjr wrote:@ Phoenixxl: Please stop double posting. There's an edit button if you want to say something else you thought of afterwords. Thanks :)


These are replies to different people . I am not making a single giant reply to everything everyone is askng in one go , ending up with even more confusion.
by Phoenixxl
Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:59 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Overpopulation and ramifications.
Replies: 125
Views: 11545

Re: Overpopulation and ramifications.

I believe it isn't in humanity's best interest to let itself stagnate biologically. Devolution happens. Evolving in a direction you don't like is NOT devolution. It's devolution when we start turning into apes with small brains again. Neither do I pretend to that . I do not "like" any par...
by Phoenixxl
Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:50 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Overpopulation and ramifications.
Replies: 125
Views: 11545

Re: Overpopulation and ramifications.

That wouldn't even be devolution. Devolution can't happen. Things either evolve, or they don't. Unless you accept the notion that lungs are better than gills or less fur is better than more or whatever, but at that point you aren't really following standard evolution anymore, and are in some kinda ...
by Phoenixxl
Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:42 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Overpopulation and ramifications.
Replies: 125
Views: 11545

Re: Overpopulation and ramifications.

phoenixxl, you keep referring to "stagnating" in terms of evolution, could you elaborate a bit on what you mean by that? Not whether it's a good or bad thing, but what you actually mean by stagnation. Haven't I before ? Removing the challenges in our environment.(I mentioned this more tha...
by Phoenixxl
Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:15 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Overpopulation and ramifications.
Replies: 125
Views: 11545

Re: Overpopulation and ramifications.

I did read the bit where that's from. :| I do not, however, agree with your conclusion. Fair enough. Can I safely say here (I do not want to assume , and have asked a few times now) , you do not agree that -assuming humans are stagnating- , the fact they were , would not influence their survivabili...
by Phoenixxl
Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:04 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Overpopulation and ramifications.
Replies: 125
Views: 11545

Re: Overpopulation and ramifications.

Never said anything will happen , saying if something happens we'll be less prepared. That's not really true. I hope you read the bit where that's from. ie me saying that I believe the fact we humans are in an evolutionary stagnant phase , and due to the fact we live a more sheltered existance , we...
by Phoenixxl
Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:03 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Overpopulation and ramifications.
Replies: 125
Views: 11545

Re: Overpopulation and ramifications.

So, your argument is that humans will be more susceptible to some future malady because of slowed evolution. But your statement that "we have effectively eliminated all ways for us to 'evolve' naturally" has little to do with your main argument? Dude, it's pretty much is your argument. No...
by Phoenixxl
Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:46 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Overpopulation and ramifications.
Replies: 125
Views: 11545

Re: Overpopulation and ramifications.

Izawwlgood wrote:feel free to have a go.


You win.

Congratulations.
by Phoenixxl
Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:29 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Overpopulation and ramifications.
Replies: 125
Views: 11545

Re: Overpopulation and ramifications.

The implication in what you're saying is that we're not evolving and That's Bad TM . But apparently I'm misinterpreting what you're saying. Already very different from ...ve you and as a result, Bad Things will happen because we're evolu... Whatever TM .. Never said anything will happen , saying if...
by Phoenixxl
Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:18 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Overpopulation and ramifications.
Replies: 125
Views: 11545

Re: Overpopulation and ramifications.

Alright, so your entire argument (after reading the rest of what you posted as well) is that we're not under any sort of Natural Selection or what have you and as a result, Bad Things will happen because we're evolutionarily stagnating. Hell no , a small part , taken out of context a few times alre...
by Phoenixxl
Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:46 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Overpopulation and ramifications.
Replies: 125
Views: 11545

Re: Overpopulation and ramifications.

I have said about all this what I wanted to say . ref : http://dinosaurs.about.com/od/typesofdinosaurs/a/crocodilians.htm what I meant : Of all the reptiles alive today, crocodiles and alligators may be the least changed from their prehistoric ancestors of the late Cretaceous period, over 65 million...
by Phoenixxl
Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:06 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Overpopulation and ramifications.
Replies: 125
Views: 11545

Re: Overpopulation and ramifications.

nbonaparte wrote:Well, the pressure is very large, yes, but there's water everywhere. There's oxygen everywhere, and food. The pressure is the only inhospitable part of living down there.


Yes. And at least we'd have something to look at as well !

Go to advanced search