Search found 609 matches

by jpk
Mon May 18, 2015 4:31 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1526: "Placebo Blocker"
Replies: 47
Views: 8863

Re: 1526: "Placebo Blocker

Someone call Smullyan, he'll be able to sort this out.
by jpk
Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:01 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1379: "4.5 Degrees"
Replies: 879
Views: 117861

Re: 1379: "4.5 Degrees"

If you aren't part of the solution, you are part of the precipitate Solution? Sorry, you have to pay a bit more attention. There is nothing that is going to happen to prevent this. The "urgent, immediate action" called for is not slowing the increase in emissions by some fraction, which i...
by jpk
Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:50 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1357: "Free Speech"
Replies: 1346
Views: 133790

Re: 1357: "Free Speech"

jpk: I saw that you took the time to write a rather long post, but then I saw that the second sentence therein was yet another bullshit misinterpretation of any real position anyone in the thread holds, and I realized that the rest probably wasn't going to contain anything new or accurate, either. ...
by jpk
Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:35 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1357: "Free Speech"
Replies: 1346
Views: 133790

Re: 1357: "Free Speech"

Basically what you're saying is that you're totally okay with living in a world that can decide that your opinions are objectionable, and that you will lose your livelihood on a political whim. I'm actually saying pretty much the opposite of that, but totally missing the point appears to be par for...
by jpk
Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:03 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1357: "Free Speech"
Replies: 1346
Views: 133790

Re: 1357: "Free Speech"

Weeks wrote:Feel free to start a thread in Serious Business where Azrael will make sure no one makes funny jokes at your expense, and you are more readily kicked for not reading the thread.



Were there funny jokes? I must have missed those.
by jpk
Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:02 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1357: "Free Speech"
Replies: 1346
Views: 133790

Re: 1357: "Free Speech"

addams wrote:The Lion's Share of this thread is one explanation after another of Bad Positions.
You don't Really want to read another one; Do you?


I suppose you've got a point. Clearly no progress is being made here.
Are you suggesting that people are a waste of time?
by jpk
Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:56 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1357: "Free Speech"
Replies: 1346
Views: 133790

Re: 1357: "Free Speech"

gmalivuk wrote:Strawman harder.



So, I'm guessing you can't come up with a story that works for you? Hm. I suppose that must be embarrassing.
by jpk
Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:30 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1357: "Free Speech"
Replies: 1346
Views: 133790

Re: 1357: "Free Speech"

I think I missed something. Evidently. And you're going to explain it all, I suppose. How Mozilla, with Eich as a founder and leader, grew from into a company that despised him so much that they asked him to be their leader, because he was so thoroughly out of step with their principles that he was...
by jpk
Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:49 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1357: "Free Speech"
Replies: 1346
Views: 133790

Re: 1357: "Free Speech"

Or is it, in fact, the case that the job of CEO of a company that officially supports gay marriage, equal rights and inclusiveness is somehow different from the job of postman, or street sweeper, or even CTO? The more you people cling to this, the more it seems like rationalization to me. Particula...
by jpk
Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:40 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1357: "Free Speech"
Replies: 1346
Views: 133790

Re: 1357: "Free Speech"

Weeks wrote:jpk you have the right to remain silent


And if I choose not to exercise that right?
by jpk
Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:40 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1357: "Free Speech"
Replies: 1346
Views: 133790

Re: 1357: "Free Speech"

Telling someone they should shut up is against that very principle of free speech. How so? Hammering, again and again, your interpretations and your assumptions until people just get fed up, bored, or offer you a tantalizingly quick and easy one-liner which you can then respond to and maintain your...
by jpk
Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:41 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1357: "Free Speech"
Replies: 1346
Views: 133790

Re: 1357: "Free Speech"

Or else just shut up, because all you seem to do is repeat the same questions over and over like some sort of demented parrot. Oh so you don't support free speech hahaha you're a hypocrite and should feel ashamed. Shame. Shame! And you wonder why i don't respond to your posts. Because the truth. It...
by jpk
Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:19 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1357: "Free Speech"
Replies: 1346
Views: 133790

Re: 1357: "Free Speech"

Jave D wrote:
jpk wrote:Or else just shut up, because all you seem to do is repeat the same questions over and over like some sort of demented parrot.


Oh so you don't support free speech hahaha you're a hypocrite and should feel ashamed. Shame. Shame!


And you wonder why i don't respond to your posts.
by jpk
Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:15 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1357: "Free Speech"
Replies: 1346
Views: 133790

Re: 1357: "Free Speech"

But if you're a free speech absolutist, and I have the right to organize a boycott, aren't you trying to deny my right of that by trying to convince me not to? No - no more than I would be infringing on your rights to try to convince you to make me a grilled cheese sandwich. I am arguing for an eth...
by jpk
Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:26 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1357: "Free Speech"
Replies: 1346
Views: 133790

Re: 1357: "Free Speech"

Wait, wait, wait. You oppose Prop 8 but you strenuously defend it because to support it is a right of political activity. Why are you not strenuously defending the boycott as a right of freedom of speech, despite your opposition to it? Go back and read where I answered this the last time, or the ti...
by jpk
Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:11 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1357: "Free Speech"
Replies: 1346
Views: 133790

Re: 1357: "Free Speech"

On what do you base your claim that there is always a clear and sharp distinction between politics and terrorism? I did not say there is always a clear and sharp distinction. I said in the cases you mentioned, there is a sharp distinction. Are you saying you're having trouble seeing a distinction h...
by jpk
Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:44 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1357: "Free Speech"
Replies: 1346
Views: 133790

Re: 1357: "Free Speech"

Right. So despite all this talk of what's morally right and wrong apart from strict legal rights, you fall back on whether the act in question is legally permitted? No, I fall back on whether terrorism and political participation have equivalent moral status. I find that they don't: one is not a ri...
by jpk
Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:23 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1357: "Free Speech"
Replies: 1346
Views: 133790

Re: 1357: "Free Speech"

Trying to prevent someone from retaining their high-paying job at a company I do business with after they donate heavily to the KKK is not bad. Trying to prevent someone from retaining their high-paying job at a company I do business with after they buy ingredients for a grilled cheese sandwich is ...
by jpk
Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:44 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1357: "Free Speech"
Replies: 1346
Views: 133790

Re: 1357: "Free Speech"

No, what I'm saying here is that I hold him accountable for actions he committed in the past, and am unwilling to forgive and forget if he's unwilling to recant. In that case, either you're objecting to his beliefs and not his actions, or you're objecting to his actions prior to his appointment as ...
by jpk
Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:22 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1357: "Free Speech"
Replies: 1346
Views: 133790

Re: 1357: "Free Speech"

Or that you need to read any of the two dozen or so other cases that have already been made for it in this thread alone, plus a good many more over in the N&A thread about Eich in particular. For the claim that "the CEO is not like other employees", I've only seen the one argument, th...
by jpk
Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:04 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1357: "Free Speech"
Replies: 1346
Views: 133790

Re: 1357: "Free Speech"

But of course, he wasn't the CEO when he made that donation, so it doesn't seem relevant in any case. He was the CEO when he continued not to say anything whatsoever that might suggest he had changed his mind since donating to take marriage rights away from millions of Californians. Okay, I just wa...
by jpk
Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:00 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1357: "Free Speech"
Replies: 1346
Views: 133790

Re: 1357: "Free Speech"

gmalivuk wrote: (How the fuck are you and others still not getting this?)


I think this is one of the signs that you need to start making a convincing case...
by jpk
Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:57 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1357: "Free Speech"
Replies: 1346
Views: 133790

Re: 1357: "Free Speech"

no, donating to a political campaign is not an example of an action that Eich took as an employee. It's an action that Eich took as a citizen, and one that you cannot seek to restrict and still claim to be a proponent of democracy Why? Basing political influence on funds is a modified version of ar...
by jpk
Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:50 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1357: "Free Speech"
Replies: 1346
Views: 133790

Re: 1357: "Free Speech"

The anti-boycott position is not "you must buy/use Mozilla's products or you're a bad person". The anti-boycott position is "your argument for boycotting Mozilla's products is ethically untenable, since it amounts to a stand against free participation in society, and it's idiotic in ...
by jpk
Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:45 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1357: "Free Speech"
Replies: 1346
Views: 133790

Re: 1357: "Free Speech"

"Opposing marriage* equality does not make someone a [bigot]." I don't even get how you can come to that conclusion. Like I say, spending a little time in the real world will help get you out of your bubble. People might oppose the policy that I describe as marriage equality because they ...
by jpk
Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:18 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1357: "Free Speech"
Replies: 1346
Views: 133790

Re: 1357: "Free Speech"

Here's my take on the Sterling issue: As I've said several times above, if the boycott had concerned anything relating to Eich's actions as a Mozilla employee, I'd have had no problem with the boycott. Having read this morning's reporting on Sterling, it seems pretty clear that his racist views were...
by jpk
Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:50 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1357: "Free Speech"
Replies: 1346
Views: 133790

Re: 1357: "Free Speech"

Ah, the "Oh me yarm u dont tolerate intolerance so ur intolerant" gotcha-argument rears its tumorous head again. If you don't allow other voices to be heard, you are intolerant. That's what intolerant means. Deal with it. If you want to be a bigot, that's your business, but you may as wel...
by jpk
Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:42 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1357: "Free Speech"
Replies: 1346
Views: 133790

Re: 1357: "Free Speech"

Are we seriously suggesting that fundamentalist Christians should be barred from all high-profile jobs on account of their beliefs? That's horrifying. Way to not read the thread. Eich was CEO of a company with a stated mission of diversity and acceptance. Donating to Prop 8 directly contradicts tha...
by jpk
Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:12 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1357: "Free Speech"
Replies: 1346
Views: 133790

Re: 1357: "Free Speech"

ANSWER ME!!!!!! ME ME ME ME ME ANSWER ME!!!!!!! (paraphrased) Oh my fucking god. Okay. Last time for these answers, so take notes this time. I've made this as simple as possible. If you still can't understand it, there's no helping you. Here's your questions: I'm not sure what's more no holds barre...
by jpk
Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:39 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1357: "Free Speech"
Replies: 1346
Views: 133790

Re: 1357: "Free Speech"

None of us in this thread would advocate, support, or probably even engage in a boycott targeted at a company with some bigoted average employees. Are you sure you can speak for everyone in the thread? the people I'm arguing with don't seem to have a consistent story on any of the details here. May...
by jpk
Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:19 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1357: "Free Speech"
Replies: 1346
Views: 133790

Re: 1357: "Free Speech"

Again, nobody here is trying to stop Brendan Eich from expressing his opinions or supporting causes he believes in. I (and others) have previously agreed that boycotting is a form of bullying. OTOH, that doesn't mean that I think that the boycott was unethical or unjustified under the circumstances...
by jpk
Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:59 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1357: "Free Speech"
Replies: 1346
Views: 133790

Re: 1357: "Free Speech"

gmalivuk wrote:Wow, it's almost as if you still don't get the fucking difference between a CEO and an average employee.


Oh, I know the difference. The CEO gets a golden parachute, and the average employee gets kicked to the curb. So what?
by jpk
Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:52 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1357: "Free Speech"
Replies: 1346
Views: 133790

Re: 1357: "Free Speech"

That's the position on advocacy: in a just society, one may advocate any position, without fear of sanction, and seeking to impose sanctions on someone for advocating a particular view is not in line with justice. I think this is the heart of the disagreement. What do you suppose should be done if ...
by jpk
Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:24 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1357: "Free Speech"
Replies: 1346
Views: 133790

Re: 1357: "Free Speech"

What would the "right reasons" be in this case? I'm sure I said something earlier... Something about not supporting people who support causes you disagree with... Patronizing the employer of someone that you despise is not the same as supporting that person. I've covered this before, if y...
by jpk
Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:55 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1357: "Free Speech"
Replies: 1346
Views: 133790

Re: 1357: "Free Speech"

avocadoowl wrote:You're not going to answer my question?



Hm? I think I have answered all of your questions. Perhaps something more like a considered response would help me figure out what it is that you're not yet clear on.
by jpk
Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:46 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1357: "Free Speech"
Replies: 1346
Views: 133790

Re: 1357: "Free Speech"

Yeah, there's no doubt that some of the boycotters were doing it for the wrong reasons. Of course, that doesn't mean that the boycott was wrong, any more than any other cause with followers who aren't saints (ie every cause in human history)... What would the "right reasons" be in this ca...
by jpk
Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:23 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1357: "Free Speech"
Replies: 1346
Views: 133790

Re: 1357: "Free Speech"

But freedom of speech and freedom to marry are both fundamental rights protected by the Constitution (and the current court battles, since Windsor, are unanimously finding that that right to marry applies to same-sex couples). Why does one action, fighting against the freedom to marry, count as adv...
by jpk
Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:58 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1357: "Free Speech"
Replies: 1346
Views: 133790

Re: 1357: "Free Speech"

Of course you don't understand it. It's completely nonsensical. After all, under his "logic," this whole debate should be about the fact that Eich shouldn't have had the "ethical right" to donate to Prop 8 in the first place. Prop 8's sole goal was to take away the right of gay ...
by jpk
Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:26 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1357: "Free Speech"
Replies: 1346
Views: 133790

Re: 1357: "Free Speech"

Of course you don't understand it. It's completely nonsensical. After all, under his "logic," this whole debate should be about the fact that Eich shouldn't have had the "ethical right" to donate to Prop 8 in the first place. Prop 8's sole goal was to take away the right of gay ...
by jpk
Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:16 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1357: "Free Speech"
Replies: 1346
Views: 133790

Re: 1357: "Free Speech"

Given that Brendan Eich donated to Prop 8 and then became CEO of Mozilla, people who opposed Prop 8 had two options: continue to support Mozilla, or cease to support Mozilla. Continuing to support Mozilla meant putting money into Eich's pocket, indirectly supporting the next Prop 8 campaign he dona...

Go to advanced search