Search found 58 matches

by JonMW
Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:06 am UTC
Forum: Forum Games
Topic: Misquote the person above you.
Replies: 4764
Views: 358234

Re: Misquote the person above you.

rath358 wrote:
Trumpkin wrote:
Platypodes wrote:
EvilHankVenture wrote:You must be a scary pony.

Why are you scared of ponies!?

Your buns ride on them, durr!

I am only one creep!
I'm relatively certain that you're two creeps.
by JonMW
Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:03 am UTC
Forum: Forum Games
Topic: Break up with the person above you
Replies: 1223
Views: 97531

Re: Break up with the person above you

You receive a text message:

got nu b/f 2bad4u l8r
by JonMW
Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:51 am UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: Game Paradox
Replies: 11
Views: 2306

Re: Game Paradox

Am I to assume that Player 1 must pick a game that exists? As in.... he cannot choose from an infinite list of games which are themselves finite? Spoiler tags to be safe- I don't think that this is the answer... I guess you could try to escape through a loophole - if you just say that Player One pic...
by JonMW
Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:34 pm UTC
Forum: The Help Desk
Topic: Choosing a laptop to purchase
Replies: 2
Views: 393

Choosing a laptop to purchase

I've had a laptop since the start of last year, and I've been using it for about 11 months. It was a discontinued line, and distinctly old when I first got it. That's not the problem, though. The problem is that I've managed to drop this selfsame laptop on two different occasions (because I mentally...
by JonMW
Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:46 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Lucky Ten Thousand (TIL)
Replies: 13432
Views: 1775972

Re: Today I Learned

I found out what a memristor was. Personally, they sound pretty neat. The biggest application that I have heard of (and also that I can think of) is memory with massive data density (due to the simplicity of the memristor structure you can print them even smaller), which is also extremely tolerant t...
by JonMW
Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:57 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0505: "A Bunch of Rocks"
Replies: 406
Views: 119100

Re: "A Bunch of Rocks" Discussion

One wonders if he had to tackle with some equivalent of the Y2K bug.

*edit*

Also: What would YOU do if you were in his position?

I think I'd carve rocks and draw in the sand. And write.
Maybe try to make a musical instrument.
by JonMW
Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:22 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0501: "Faust 2.0"
Replies: 96
Views: 20976

Re: "Faust 2.0" Discussion

This was back when I hung around the forums for Supreme Commander before it was released. There was a lot of discussion, updates on general game direction, drooling over screenshots, unit suggestions and the like. I eventually went back and read the EULA - it was relatively short. I then noticed tha...
by JonMW
Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:25 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0495: "Secretary: Part 2"
Replies: 170
Views: 27544

Re: "Secretary: Part 2"

I thought blimps were actually quite speedy!
Though that may be zeppelins... if there is an actual difference between them.
by JonMW
Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:36 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0438: "Internet Argument"
Replies: 118
Views: 42283

Re: Internet Argument Discussion

I don't think that this situation would have the same resolution for every argument. For example, night before last on a Garry's Mod online roleplaying server, there was one guy who was just being an overall pain in the ass. Ignoring rules, making things harder for everyone, denying everything he di...
by JonMW
Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:18 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0417: "The Man Who Fell Sideways"
Replies: 174
Views: 44375

Re: "The Man Who Fell Sideways" Discussion

I have sometimes thought about altered gravity and falling sideways (but mostly 90 degrees, not 30). I always come to the conclusion that it would not be a fun time unless you were anchored.

(haha, ninja'd by ig0r, in a way)
by JonMW
Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:49 am UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: Locks
Replies: 5
Views: 2517

Re: Locks

I'm feeling just a little bit smug . (Most likely reason - there was probably about 5 people competing with me) Thanks for providing me with something I can use to procrastinate! *edit* Same feat again with Game B... I'm not sure whether I should feel better or worse. and Game C... (Ah, I just notic...
by JonMW
Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:12 am UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: The Red Donkey
Replies: 3
Views: 3195

Re: The Red Donkey

Here's an online version of the puzzle.

I solved that bad boy in 340 wild, unplanned moves.

Did anyone else get nostalgic for an old Klotski game used to be on computers back in the day? I managed to track down and get SkiFree not too long ago, I'll see if I can find this one.
(Edit: Found it!)
by JonMW
Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:02 am UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: A problem I made up
Replies: 4
Views: 2364

Re: A problem I made up

So it's similar to a sliding-tile puzzle (such as fifteen) that we manipulate via gravity, except we can only see one corner.

Spoiler:
Is it possible to mark the tiles?
by JonMW
Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:59 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0386: "Duty Calls"
Replies: 202
Views: 69652

Re: "Duty Calls" Discussion

Watch out, Randall! It might be a troll!
by JonMW
Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:44 am UTC
Forum: Forum Games
Topic: iPothesis
Replies: 40
Views: 5676

Re: iPothesis

It will, inexplicably, be popular even though the competition beat them to the punch decades ago.
by JonMW
Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:34 am UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: mechanic's test
Replies: 31
Views: 7370

Re: mechanic's test

I just took the test, and got 94%. Cool beans. I admit that I guessed some questions, though (a couple with complicated pulley systems). Though Question 26 bothers me - even though an alternate path is provided for the middle light, it should STILL light up. I forgot the unspoken assumption that the...
by JonMW
Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:57 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0384: "The Drake Equation"
Replies: 117
Views: 28559

Re: "The Drake Equation" Discussion

So, I was reading through the Freefall archives, and this comic seemed to be somewhat relevant.
Necessary background to the comic: Sam (the blue guy) is complaining about how the creatures from his planet are irresistably tasty to creatures from Earth.
by JonMW
Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:32 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: What **should** you be doing right now?
Replies: 1272
Views: 111238

Re: What **should** you be doing right now?

1. Continue learning how to make games using Blender. (A 3d modelling program with an inbuilt game engine, NOT an actual blender.) 2. Cleaning the walls. (Most of the marks are mine, and have steadily built up over the years.) 3. Discussing what chores should be my reposibility with my mother. (They...
by JonMW
Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:49 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: It's hard to tell which is coolest.
Replies: 63
Views: 6245

Re: It's hard to tell which is coolest.

Portal gun. It would be a lot cooler if I could add three things to go along with it. The first - a high precision sight. The second - the ability to create more than one tunnel (so I could use one to go from one place to the other and I could use another to get into my closet from anywhere in the ...
by JonMW
Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:39 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: It's hard to tell which is coolest.
Replies: 63
Views: 6245

Re: It's hard to tell which is coolest.

I'll say that programming the nanolathe is easy if you have a PC with a few programs suited to the task. You could simplify a motherboard to a bunch of diagrams for the circuit and for each of the components, and define materials. You could make a sword with a monomolecular edge, or your own diamond...
by JonMW
Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:43 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: It's hard to tell which is coolest.
Replies: 63
Views: 6245

It's hard to tell which is coolest.

OK, this poll requires knowledge of three (admittedly popular) games. Hopefully, I haven't alienated everyone except me. I'll put in a short description of each one, to introduce people to these toys (they're too fun to be tools) and to impose restrictions (or boost their abilities) to even the odds...
by JonMW
Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:01 am UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: Inside-out torus
Replies: 10
Views: 2575

Re: Inside-out torus

I think I have it.
Spoiler:
Is it even possible to turn a torus inside-out by poking a hole in it?
by JonMW
Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:28 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Childhood misconceptions
Replies: 868
Views: 109518

Re: Childhood misconceptions

Man, I can hardly remember my childhood at all, and this makes me sad. House numbers are totally unique. Nobody else is the WORLD has the same house number as you. It took me a while to find this one out. All liquids are a solid (or solids) dissolved in water. Therefore, you could distill anything t...
by JonMW
Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:19 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Amusing science misconceptions
Replies: 161
Views: 28409

Re: Amusing science misconceptions

What if the drinkable water souce for the city that you live in is contained in a dam, and rainfall is sporadic? By your reasoning, there's absolutely nothing wrong with blasting the dam to smithereens, because the water still exists. It might be filthy and unusable, but it still exists. The problem...
by JonMW
Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:52 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Amusing science misconceptions
Replies: 161
Views: 28409

Re: Amusing science misconceptions

The polar bear fur thing is a grey area, I think. If you looked at a single hair really, REALLY closely, the idea is that you'd be able to see through it - but the image would be distorted, as though your were looking at a tiny rod of glass. When you say that something is "white", many peo...
by JonMW
Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:38 pm UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: Isotopes
Replies: 22
Views: 3707

Re: Isotopes

Technically, every kind of atom is an isotope... I think. What the exam question should have read is: Which of the following pairs of atomic descriptions represent different isotopes of the same element ? (The word "different" is the important change. Also adding the text in blue just make...
by JonMW
Sat Sep 08, 2007 5:51 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Orbiter
Replies: 21
Views: 2530

So far, I've found this game to be a riot. Much better than flight simulators. Anyhow - I've found this addon, and it says that I need John Marcure's 2006 Firefly "Jumbo" addon to use it. They say it's on Orbit Hanger Mods (the site linked to). Here's the problem - I can't find the darn th...
by JonMW
Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:11 pm UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: Non-existing physical constructs
Replies: 198
Views: 32197

Heh. That reminds me of a supervillain called Aornis. One of her powers was control over entropy and probabilities and stuff like that. If it was physically possible, she could make it happen at will. But anyhoo... I'm going to have to go with the Portals from the "Cool Ideas for Absolutely Any...
by JonMW
Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:57 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Raptor/Human shapeshifting
Replies: 87
Views: 6864

Oh, they can all speak. They just choose not to, in order to not pollute the air.
by JonMW
Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:46 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Raptor/Human shapeshifting
Replies: 87
Views: 6864

But a human does not shave the top of his head. Surely something as large as a feather would leave a very noticable follicle-thing behind when plucked?
Yow.
by JonMW
Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:23 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Raptor/Human shapeshifting
Replies: 87
Views: 6864

Good question! Would anybody here shapeshift their body... if they could never go back? -------- Phoenix, eh? Are you expecting a massive fiery feathered monstrosity of the skies, or something that you keep in a cage? (Thanks, J K Rowling.) The choice of a griffin becomes somewhat more attractive if...
by JonMW
Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:04 am UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: Bizarre facts
Replies: 234
Views: 45817

OneLess wrote:Well, in Mario Bros. :)
Isn't that only the ones with wings?
by JonMW
Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:17 am UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: Bizarre facts
Replies: 234
Views: 45817

How do we KNOW that only humans and dolphins get any pleasure from sex? I'm pretty sure that we won't know unless we strap electrodes to their heads and watch the pleasure centres while they get it on.
by JonMW
Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:08 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Raptor/Human shapeshifting
Replies: 87
Views: 6864

Intrinsic abilities again, my friend.
by JonMW
Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:59 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Raptor/Human shapeshifting
Replies: 87
Views: 6864

Spandex and a Stephen Hawking-style speech thingy?
by JonMW
Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:04 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Raptor/Human shapeshifting
Replies: 87
Views: 6864

When you get right down to comparing mythical creatures, the inherent coolness of each one depends very heavily upon their intrinsic abilities. Heaps of people like dragons because they assume that they are: Massive, almost immortal, fire-breathing, hoarding, superintelligent creatures. If you add s...
by JonMW
Sat Aug 25, 2007 4:41 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Cool ideas for absolutely anything
Replies: 129
Views: 10590

Well, you would still need to be able to actually move the walls. Otherwise, you'd just walk into glass, wouldn't you? Also, realisation about the portals. 1. I'm going to declare that you cannot "lift" the ring on the table by pushing at the surface seen in your ring. 2. If your time mach...
by JonMW
Sat Aug 25, 2007 4:28 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Raptor/Human shapeshifting
Replies: 87
Views: 6864

Hmmmmm. I'd have to say yes to this power, unless saying no allows me to choose the ability to morph into a different creature. Just due to personal preferences, griffins trump almost anything in my book.
by JonMW
Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:14 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Cool ideas for absolutely anything
Replies: 129
Views: 10590

I think it's a given that the two portals are exactly the same size. Otherwise, it just doesn't work... But I've got a problem when I try to think about this. You're holding one ring. The other ring is lying on the table. Look into your ring. From one side, you see the ceiling above the table. From ...
by JonMW
Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:38 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Cool ideas for absolutely anything
Replies: 129
Views: 10590

I'd say that the portal is in the middle of the ring. The portal itself has only area, not volume. You can grip the insides of the ring quite well. It stays on your finger at least aswell as any normal ring that happens to be half as thick (fingerlength ways). Which way would it fall? Are you assumi...

Go to advanced search