Search found 42 matches

by teucer
Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:09 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0992: "Mnemonics"
Replies: 278
Views: 66372

Re: 0992: "Mnemonics"

dado wrote:What mnemonics do you have in English for pi?


Poe, E. "Near a Raven."
by teucer
Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:06 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0956: "Sharing"
Replies: 82
Views: 26280

Re: 0956: "Sharing"

"The Giving Tree" was rather depressing to me. The boy just kept taking and leaving and I thought all the tree wanted was to play with/be with the boy (although I don't think the tree ever said that). When the old man (who was the boy) came back to sit on the stump I was never sure if tha...
by teucer
Sun May 29, 2011 2:37 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0904: "Sports"
Replies: 128
Views: 29699

Re: 904: "Sports"

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v254/vwMikewv/xkcd/sports.png The big difference is that science has on a number of occasions been able to make sturdy predictive models, and has structures in place to go back and check themselves for accuracy, whereas sports commentators or people chatting idlely...
by teucer
Fri May 27, 2011 4:28 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0904: "Sports"
Replies: 128
Views: 29699

Re: 904: "Sports"

Sports are a weighted RNG, but the weights are interesting to try to understand. Is this player merely on a hot streak because chance sometimes produces such, or is he actually so good it's more likely for him than somebody else? Unfortunately, few sports commentators even realize that streaks happe...
by teucer
Mon May 02, 2011 4:25 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0893: "65 Years"
Replies: 226
Views: 90213

Re: 0893: "65 Years"

Reminds me of this (mp3).
by teucer
Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:14 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0883: "Pain Rating"
Replies: 136
Views: 48373

Re: 0883: "Pain Rating"

Perhaps "the worse pain you have experienced". Else it's usually subjective anyway. The doctor just needs to look at what kind of pain relief. If you say a "1" your rating the importance low. :?: "The worst pain you've ever felt in your life" is how I usually hear it, ...
by teucer
Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:15 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0842: "Mark"
Replies: 108
Views: 45110

Re: 0842: "Mark"

Seriously? People had to Google pen15? Instead of thinking for about 6 seconds people automatically check google. What's the world coming to... To be fair, not everybody gets inducted into the pen fifteen club and thus realizes that it's a specific traditional way of getting somebody to let you wri...
by teucer
Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:15 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0842: "Mark"
Replies: 108
Views: 45110

Re: 0842: "Mark"

When I was a summer camp counselor, one of the kids in my afternoon session walked in one day with "pen fifteen" written on his arm.

Yes, with the "fifteen" spelled out.
by teucer
Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:04 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0832: "Tic-Tac-Toe"
Replies: 180
Views: 57763

Re: 0832: "Tic-Tac-Toe"

How is this NOT a thinly-veiled insult of the intelligence of the readers? He's basically saying "Since you could never figure this out yourself, I compiled this genius chart for you." And yet you still fellate Randall, saying how interesting/useful/whatever it is. I've known that tic-tac...
by teucer
Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:13 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0821: "Five-Minute Comics: Part 3"
Replies: 143
Views: 35707

Re: 0821: "Five-Minute Comics: Part 3"

black_hat_guy wrote:Little Rock Highschool(x) = 9?
Edit: Never mind. I get it.


I don't.
by teucer
Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:36 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0797: "Debian-Main"
Replies: 57
Views: 18917

Re: "Debian-Main" Discussion

ManaUser wrote:#6 Locusts can be used for any purpose.


You have to make sure you get the right version; the programmer put restrictions on most releases.
by teucer
Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:17 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0515: "No One Must Know"
Replies: 169
Views: 30805

Re: "No One Must Know " Discussion

I cannot read references to a certain foodstuff without thinking of this lovely retelling of my favorite epic - so as soon as he said "danish" I thought about how silly he was being. After all, everyone knows you are supposed to eat danish for dessert. Silly, silly, silly. (Yes, this meant...
by teucer
Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:35 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0492: "Scrabble"
Replies: 171
Views: 48490

Re: "Scrabble" Discussion

Flambda wrote:Placing LICTORS along the top of HI to create CH and TI would give 71 points, equal to putting LICTOR with HI to make HIC.
However, had HI been placed with the I in the middle space the play previously mentioned would have given 75 points.


Ooh, nice. I missed that one.
by teucer
Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:33 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0492: "Scrabble"
Replies: 171
Views: 48490

Re: "Scrabble" Discussion

The real veteran scrabble players may see OSTRICH, but we sure as hell aren't passing up a bingo.

(And the very good ones note that, as pointed out before, TROCHILS is worth more than CLITORIS.)
by teucer
Fri May 23, 2008 2:40 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0426: "Geohashing"
Replies: 224
Views: 39587

Re: "Geohashing" discussion

Okay, but does anyone else actually live in Minnesota? *crickets* ~Siswi Yes. And in the most populous grid section of it, too. Irritatingly, though, it's a 90-minute drive to the meetup for me, and I've got plans for a good chunk of the afternoon. I think I have to give it a miss. (Though, oddly, ...
by teucer
Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:10 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0270: "Merlin"
Replies: 51
Views: 21290

Re:

SNAFU wrote:I think the more pure Merlin from where the Arthurian legend emerged was a dice-casting fortune teller.


Or, of course, an antichrist.
by teucer
Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:01 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0347: "Brick Archway"
Replies: 100
Views: 21941

Re: "Brick Archway" Discussion

existential_elevator wrote:Damn, I honestly think this raises the very serious question of what computer games could successfully be played in the real world...

Also, yes, I laughed a lot.


I'm busy trying to organize some Galaga, myself.
by teucer
Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:39 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0347: "Brick Archway"
Replies: 100
Views: 21941

Re: "Brick Archway" Discussion

by teucer
Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:03 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0084: "National Language"
Replies: 56
Views: 46931

Re: "National Language" Discussion

And English doesn't have a retroflex r. But the point that Sarah is an English name and not lexical item of Cherokee seems accurate. /l/ is their only phonemic liquid and is the closest I know of to the alveolar approximant used in English (IPA upside-down r). Apparently one dialect had the trilled...
by teucer
Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:08 pm UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: I got one.
Replies: 48
Views: 22089

Re: I got one.

Actually, C can answer instantly if we assume the executioners aren't idiots and want to kill them. Since if C were wearing a white hat it would be really, really easy for them to escape, he isn't.
by teucer
Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:48 pm UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: Two Concentric Circles
Replies: 19
Views: 2956

Re: Two Concentric Circles

But guys , a secant line is uniquely determined by the midpoint of its chord! The line only pass through the circle if said midpoint is in the inner circle. Of course, the inner circle has 1/4 the area of the outer one, so the probability is 25%. Also, this was in the math forum somewhere. Not quit...
by teucer
Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:36 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0191: "Lojban"
Replies: 85
Views: 37982

Re: Lojban Discussion

To me that bespeaks an insufficient understanding of the grammatical rules of the language. LOL. I study grammar crazily. I meant on the part of the teachers, actually. For them to say it's grammatical, but also know it's wrong, proves that they know better - they just don't consciously know what t...
by teucer
Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:32 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0191: "Lojban"
Replies: 85
Views: 37982

Re: Lojban Discussion

I'm always annoyed, when learning another language, when someone (usually a professor) tells me, "yes, that's grammatically correct... but they just don't say it that way!" and they mean that if I say it that way, I'll be "wrong". They want me to learn and mimic the 'spanish' th...
by teucer
Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:32 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0191: "Lojban"
Replies: 85
Views: 37982

Re: Re:

Anyway, I don't see the point of Lojban. And I don't see how it could be very expressive. All languages are capable of expressiveness. Some moderately-good Lojban poetry exists. (And some bad Lojban poetry, including some of my own - because my more-intensely-into-Lojban years and my teen-writing-b...
by teucer
Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:16 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0320: "28-Hour Day"
Replies: 142
Views: 86070

I kinda like the thought behind it, but I suspect Tuesday night would be problematic for me.
by teucer
Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:14 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0087: "Velociraptors"
Replies: 94
Views: 34791

Why is "both" not an option?
by teucer
Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:12 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0318: "Nostalgia"
Replies: 144
Views: 33603

I still remember the first time they took goatse down. The time it was just a rumor maliciously circulated until it found someone gullible enough to check. I also remember, back before XP, when sending a windows box to file://c:\con\con would make it bluescreen. Before there was a goatse, or at leas...
by teucer
Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:37 am UTC
Forum: Gaming
Topic: Hunt the Wumpus
Replies: 7
Views: 2292

I've played it. It's pretty awesome alright.
by teucer
Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:28 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0308: "Interesting Life"
Replies: 256
Views: 51434

RadioImp wrote:This is the first comic that I really really want as a poster, just so I can put it up at work :)


I feel much the same way.
by teucer
Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:05 am UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: How common are daughters?
Replies: 12
Views: 3816

Re: How common are daughters?

Assume exactly half of all children born are girls, that gender determination is a random event and all instances of it are independent, and that every family in puzzleton has exactly two children. Consider the set of all families in puzzleton that include a boy. What fraction of these include a gi...
by teucer
Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:46 pm UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: How common are daughters?
Replies: 12
Views: 3816

Ah, wasn't around back then. But yeah, restricted-choice probability is good wholesome fun in all its forms! I wasn't around then either. Its just that this forum is about as close to a compendium of interesting logic puzzles that I've seen, and it seems worthwhile to me to note when a question has...
by teucer
Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:01 pm UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: Favorite home experiments
Replies: 590
Views: 482933

More of a garage project than a home project, but you can make your own hovercraft! And there's an easier way to make hydrogen than by electrolysis. Fill a wine bottle a reasonably large fraction full of water, and add lye (NaOH). Get the lye dissolved. This is exothermic, so let it cool down befor...
by teucer
Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:48 pm UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: How common are daughters?
Replies: 12
Views: 3816

If there are N families, N/2 of them will have a boy, a girl and N/4 of them will have two boys, and N/4 will have two girls. Therefore, P(other child is a girl | one of the children is a boy)= (N/2)/(N/2 + N/4) = 2/3. And its a repeat, but from quite a while back http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.p...
by teucer
Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:18 pm UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: Traveler's Dilemma
Replies: 833
Views: 86635

If both people are perfect logicians, then they must both use the same reasoning to come to the same conclusion. And if they are both perfect logicians and both aware of this fact, they know they must come to the same solution. That solution is either random in nature, or 100, since both people comi...
by teucer
Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:14 pm UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: How common are daughters?
Replies: 12
Views: 3816

How common are daughters?

Assume exactly half of all children born are girls, that gender determination is a random event and all instances of it are independent, and that every family in puzzleton has exactly two children. Consider the set of all families in puzzleton that include a boy. What fraction of these include a gir...
by teucer
Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:01 am UTC
Forum: Gaming
Topic: Most Excellent Gaming Moments
Replies: 331
Views: 42277

I was playing a tabletop game, at a convention. The rules were homebrewed by the GM and very simple; they were also irrelevant to the story. The setting was a mid-term future SF universe in which the Cthulhu Mythos exists. (As the GM puts it, "'Elder Gods in Space' is a redundancy, because that...
by teucer
Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:36 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: All Hail Discordia!!!
Replies: 40
Views: 6524

Once upon a time I wrote Jack Chick a letter informing him about the existence of Discordianism and the evil it was working in the lord. I got a response signed by the man himself, but my ultimate goal of getting him to write a tract about the horrors of this licentious chaos-worhsipping cult failed...
by teucer
Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:53 am UTC
Forum: Gaming
Topic: making a text adventure game! (need ideas)
Replies: 32
Views: 9849

Kawa wrote:Don't forget the giant popcorn to get stuck under while everyone else eats lunch.


And look out for Mean Green!
by teucer
Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:33 am UTC
Forum: Gaming
Topic: making a text adventure game! (need ideas)
Replies: 32
Views: 9849

It should take place in the surrealist fantasy universe inhabited by Alton Brown, where yeast look like giant sock puppets, bakers are at risk of being attacked by the infamous diminuitive boxers Tender and Flaky, and the phrase "nutritional anthropologist" is a spell capable of summoning ...

Go to advanced search