Search found 9 matches

by Boomase
Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:40 am UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: The Free Will Straw Man
Replies: 41
Views: 8263

Re: The Free Will Straw Man

I have to say that I'm having a really tough time following your words and thoughts clearly, that might just be me though. Anyway I don't think that determinism existing necessarily implies that heaven/hell can't exist, just that it wouldn't make much sense logically (which doesn't mean it's not pos...
by Boomase
Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:32 am UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: The Free Will Straw Man
Replies: 41
Views: 8263

Re: The Free Will Straw Man

Whether or not determinism is relevant to the question of free will's existence depends on what your definitions of free will and determinism are. It's a lot more complicated than it first seems, I gather from reading the wikipedia article on the subject. I think most people when they're referring t...
by Boomase
Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:22 am UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Rape Culture (Obvious Trigger Warning)
Replies: 608
Views: 97145

Re: Rape Culture (Obvious Trigger Warning)

Can we please not get into yet another episode of "but is X with Y and Z and circumstances A, B, and C actually rape?" Yep. Cause what i meant with my post was really "But if all these conditions apply then what i did last night* doesnt count as rape right? Right??" You claim my...
by Boomase
Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:52 am UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Rape Culture (Obvious Trigger Warning)
Replies: 608
Views: 97145

Re: Rape Culture (Obvious Trigger Warning)

If neither party has any malice aforethought and the unfortunate circumstances leading to "non-consensual sexual conduct" were, at the very least, evenly split between both parties, how can there be rape? Ooooh, shotgun posting the definition of rape in the thread! It doesn't matter if sh...
by Boomase
Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:59 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Rape Culture (Obvious Trigger Warning)
Replies: 608
Views: 97145

Re: Rape Culture (Obvious Trigger Warning)

No evidence for this, but I would guess that on a college campus a much higher proportion of rapes do occur from people that you met at a bar/ party/whatever compared to your friend, husband, boyfriend, relative than in general, because you will tend to encounter those people at a much higher propo...
by Boomase
Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:12 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Rape Culture (Obvious Trigger Warning)
Replies: 608
Views: 97145

Re: Rape Culture (Obvious Trigger Warning)

Telling someone to be safe is victim blaming? No. Fucking no. You can tell someone to be safe and still believe that being safe will only help in 1% of situations and the other 99% is out of their hands completely and not blame them if something happens. "You wouldn't have gotten raped if you ...
by Boomase
Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:40 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Rape Culture (Obvious Trigger Warning)
Replies: 608
Views: 97145

Re: Rape Culture (Obvious Trigger Warning)

But what do you think was more likely to make a change, the things that were targeted at potential perpetrators or those targeted at potential victims. http://droppingthefbomb.tumblr.com/post/6103290872/the-real-face-of-rapists-trigger-warning Well when I made that statement I was talking specifica...
by Boomase
Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:28 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Rape Culture (Obvious Trigger Warning)
Replies: 608
Views: 97145

Re: Rape Culture (Obvious Trigger Warning)

I think that there are some people here that might want to talk to you about the whole 'rape is perpetrated by physically dominant men who hold women down' thing. Anyway; I don't think I ever implied that this is always, or even the majority of the times the case? Like I said I've had second hand e...
by Boomase
Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:20 am UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Rape Culture (Obvious Trigger Warning)
Replies: 608
Views: 97145

Re: Rape Culture (Obvious Trigger Warning)

Some of this is skippable, so if you don't want to read a whole lot you can scroll down to the nice line of ------- I'll use to divide my rant which is used to lead to a topic of discussion to the actual discussion, or less preferably, skip the post entirely. The position they feel is most likely to...

Go to advanced search