Search found 408 matches

by Hurduser
Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:30 am UTC
Forum: Language/Linguistics
Topic: What is the best constructed language?
Replies: 75
Views: 19760

Re: What is the best constructed language?

I personally do not like Quenya and Sindarin. At all. Their phonoaesthetics are just ... bad, IMHO. I prefer Esperanto. Not because of any advantages of the design, but because it sounds far better. But I am also quite partial to the idea of IALs and do like Esperanto for that reason. I like the art...
by Hurduser
Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:02 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: stupidest comment ever
Replies: 339
Views: 34788

Re: stupidest comment ever

The most stupid one was a comment about my Jabber status which had paraphrasing of "Istanbul (not Constantinople)" to which a (Turkish) friend asked what Constantinople was. :shock:
by Hurduser
Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:15 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Cold Callers and you.
Replies: 91
Views: 87811

Re: Cold Callers and you.

There is a great posting on the German-speaking part of the 'net about someone answering the phone as "Pyramid constructor Ramses" and trying to get the caller to accept his great offer for the construction of a pyramid as a tomb. It was hillarious, even though most of it probably won't tr...
by Hurduser
Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:04 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Explain your avatar!
Replies: 1628
Views: 154950

Re: Explain your avatar!

My avatar is just a part of a Zimbabwe Dollar (before they cut off a lot of zeros in 2008).
by Hurduser
Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:03 am UTC
Forum: Language/Linguistics
Topic: Awesome child-naming suggestions?
Replies: 33
Views: 4208

Re: Awesome child-naming suggestions?

I like various African names... I once found the name Adetokunbo when searching the web about ideas how to name a female character in a story and really like it.
by Hurduser
Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:29 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0624: "Branding"
Replies: 86
Views: 20762

Re: "Branding" Discussion

I do not care about lesbians nor have I ever seen ads like that but the comic made me chuckle. Github ftw!
by Hurduser
Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:46 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0619: "Supported Features"
Replies: 157
Views: 34121

Re: "Supported Features" discussion

I do not see why anyone would want to use Flash -- and even less why they would want to use it in fullscreen. It is a horrible, unfree format which is crappily supported on Linux. For the few times, I cannot avoid using Flash, I use swfdec.
by Hurduser
Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:18 am UTC
Forum: Language/Linguistics
Topic: Sprechen Sie Deutsch bitte! [German practice]
Replies: 878
Views: 264111

Re: Sprechen Sie Deutsch bitte! [German practice]

Ich denke dass Faust nicht in den Unterricht gehört. Ich habe mir den Faust ohne Unterricht im Theater angesehen, aber Goethe lesen ohne Schule - nö. Wenn ich merke dass bestimmte Redewendungen von Goethe stammen versuche ich sie nicht mehr zu verwenden. Das ist ziemlich schwierig, so viele sind vo...
by Hurduser
Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:43 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: need a business name.
Replies: 20
Views: 2385

Re: need a business name.

I like the suggestion GNU Herders.
by Hurduser
Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:23 am UTC
Forum: Language/Linguistics
Topic: Sprechen Sie Deutsch bitte! [German practice]
Replies: 878
Views: 264111

Re: Sprechen Sie Deutsch bitte! [German practice]

Ich habe Faust in der 13. Klasse im Deutschunterricht gelesen. Es ist gut, es in der Schule zu lesen, damit die Lehrer die Teile erklären können, die man nicht versteht (auch wenn Deutsch die eigene Muttersprache ist). Faust enthält viele Zitate und Redewendungen, die man oft verwendet, von "d...
by Hurduser
Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:17 am UTC
Forum: Language/Linguistics
Topic: Sprechen Sie Deutsch bitte! [German practice]
Replies: 878
Views: 264111

Re: Sprechen Sie Deutsch bitte! [German practice]

Ich mag ihn nicht. Goethe fand ich nie besonders 'benutzerfreundlich'. :D
by Hurduser
Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:22 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Updating comic 256 (Map of Online Communities)
Replies: 21
Views: 3021

Re: Updating comic 256 (Map of Online Communities)

NationStates needs to be added. Most addicting MMORPG game ever!
by Hurduser
Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:04 pm UTC
Forum: School
Topic: 126 Things Adam is No Longer Allowed to do at School (9-29)
Replies: 138
Views: 17770

Re: 126 Things Adam is No Longer Allowed to do at School (9-29)

He works at a Hauptschule in NRW, Regierungsbezirk Düsseldorf.
by Hurduser
Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:16 pm UTC
Forum: Language/Linguistics
Topic: The Line Between Improvement and Degradation
Replies: 47
Views: 5493

Re: The Line Between Improvement and Degradation

@The Galapagos Islands: Okay, if you think there is a degradation of language, but there can also be an improvement, answer me this: Colloquial German has evolved a (somewhat ridiculously sounding, I admit) progressive tense. Would you say that things like "die Kacke ist am Dampfen" (inter...
by Hurduser
Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:44 pm UTC
Forum: Language/Linguistics
Topic: Recordings of Your Accent/Oral survey
Replies: 91
Views: 15955

Re: Recordings of Your Accent/Oral survey

Judging my accent, where would you think I was from? Federal republic of Germany, my English teachers tried to teach me British English, the media taught me a more American variant and my fiance with whom I speak the most English comes originally from Russia. I hope, that I don't sound too German
by Hurduser
Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:11 pm UTC
Forum: Language/Linguistics
Topic: When you think, how do you refer to yourself?
Replies: 55
Views: 9758

Re: When you think, how do you refer to yourself?

When I agree with myself, I use "I". When I'm arguing with myself or yelling at myself, I'll use "You." e.g. "I need to do my homework" vs "You need to do your homework before you fall asleep." pretty much the same here, only that I refer to myself by my real...
by Hurduser
Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:41 pm UTC
Forum: School
Topic: 126 Things Adam is No Longer Allowed to do at School (9-29)
Replies: 138
Views: 17770

Re: 126 Things Adam is No Longer Allowed to do at School (9-29)

In West Germany, it is very easy to become a Beamter. Essentially every teacher does after about two years (i.e. really 3.5 years, if you count the 1.5 "training" years). Err... since when? my father still is only an Angestellter despite working as teacher in the same school for as long a...
by Hurduser
Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:44 pm UTC
Forum: Forum Games
Topic: Count to a Million
Replies: 96171
Views: 7741843

Re: Count to a Million [Space Page Toppers PT.2!]

20287
by Hurduser
Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:32 pm UTC
Forum: School
Topic: Panic about your exam!
Replies: 77
Views: 5540

Re: Panic about your exam!

*panics* 3 exams in the last 3 days before the holidays!
by Hurduser
Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:58 am UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Design your own ideal education system
Replies: 53
Views: 12301

Re: Design your own ideal education system

My ideal education system... 1st: It would omit all soft subjects, ie: no art, no PE, no literature, no music, no religious education. Instead sciences, maths, programming, a bit of history, languages and correct use of the native language would be taught. While people would learn how to interpret a...
by Hurduser
Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:31 am UTC
Forum: School
Topic: 126 Things Adam is No Longer Allowed to do at School (9-29)
Replies: 138
Views: 17770

Re: 126 Things Adam is No Longer Allowed to do at School (9-29)

Monika wrote:West-German teachers of all grade levels get tenured / become servants of the state after about two years and are then unfirable.

It is not so eay to become a Beamter and Angestellte can be fired.
by Hurduser
Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:48 pm UTC
Forum: Language/Linguistics
Topic: When you think, how do you refer to yourself?
Replies: 55
Views: 9758

Re: When you think, how do you refer to yourself?

When I agree with myself, I use "I". When I'm arguing with myself or yelling at myself, I'll use "You." e.g. "I need to do my homework" vs "You need to do your homework before you fall asleep." pretty much the same here, only that I refer to myself by my real...
by Hurduser
Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:48 pm UTC
Forum: School
Topic: What do other countries teach about The united states?
Replies: 78
Views: 9695

Re: What do other countries teach about The united states?

My English teacher was rather anti-American. So what we learned about the USA were various things: * quite a lot about Wisconsin because some of the textbook texts were there. * they are horrible people because they have capital punishment (it was an issue which was very important for that teacher) ...
by Hurduser
Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:23 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Short temper, is there a cure?
Replies: 19
Views: 2453

Re: Short temper, is there a cure?

When you get annoyed at folks doing something without reason (at least, without a reason perceived by you), are you referring to them doing something that directly affects you ? Or is it them doing something else in general? Often I am one of the affected parties: for example: a teacher hands out a...
by Hurduser
Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:23 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Short temper, is there a cure?
Replies: 19
Views: 2453

Re: Short temper, is there a cure?

Not sure about that... often it annoys me that people do something and don't actually think about why they do it. they are seriously confused when others have problems with that. They lack any insights into the consequences of their actions. And I should be empathetic towards them? My attempts for t...
by Hurduser
Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:37 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Biggest lies
Replies: 230
Views: 18850

Re: Biggest lies

I once got away with claiming that I was abducted by aliens as reason why I was too late for class.
by Hurduser
Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:31 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: what would you choose as your super power?
Replies: 636
Views: 74796

Re: what would you choose as your super power?

I'd much rather be an NP oracle. That is, by the time I've completely understood the statement of a problem of the form, "does there exist a short string x that satisfies these easy to check conditions," I instantly know whether such an x exists. At first it doesn't sound so impressive......
by Hurduser
Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:56 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Short temper, is there a cure?
Replies: 19
Views: 2453

Re: Short temper, is there a cure?

i've found that one sure fire cure for a short temper (as with a lot of undesirable traits) is to get burned by your actions.....it's not the happiest way...but that one time that you fly off the handle and it causes some serious repercussions...you'll curb your temper pretty quick I got into troub...
by Hurduser
Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:19 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Short temper, is there a cure?
Replies: 19
Views: 2453

Short temper, is there a cure?

I noticed lately, that I lose my temper far too much, especially in situations where others can't understand why I am so annoyed. My father has a very short temper as well, so while it might run in the family, I learned how much of an ass you can become for the people, you care most about. That scar...
by Hurduser
Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:20 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: REALLY Annoying Misconceptions
Replies: 4059
Views: 378760

Re: REALLY Annoying Misconceptions

Accessible PDFs aren't! Listen, just because my vision is subpar, and I need a bigger font size, that does not mean that either: a) I should get a screenreader or a braille line (I don't even KNOW braille) b) I should stay away from computers. Now can you please stop handing out documents which I ca...
by Hurduser
Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:31 am UTC
Forum: Language/Linguistics
Topic: The most useful phrase to know: "Language Settings"
Replies: 24
Views: 3734

Re: The most useful phrase to know: "Language Settings"

Bobber wrote:
Hurduser wrote:Sprachunterstützung.
That translates better into "Language Support" than language settings. (Right Germans?)

It does indeed. I did not say that it is an exact translation, just that it is one, which is used.
by Hurduser
Sat May 30, 2009 12:34 pm UTC
Forum: Language/Linguistics
Topic: The most useful phrase to know: "Language Settings"
Replies: 24
Views: 3734

Re: The most useful phrase to know: "Language Settings"

Fryie wrote:German: Spracheinstellungen (or just "Sprache")

Czech, I believe, is just "jazyk" (i.e. language), at least on my ipod.


I saw Sprache used quite some times, as well as "Sprache wählen". Edit: in XFCE/Xubuntu is is Sprachunterstützung.
by Hurduser
Sat May 30, 2009 12:23 pm UTC
Forum: Language/Linguistics
Topic: 90% of communication is non-verbal
Replies: 29
Views: 4452

Re: 90% of communication is non-verbal

Bobber wrote:If someone comes in here with the "x% of statistics are made up on the spot" I will rip your proverbial head off for lack of originality and general unfunnyness.

102% of all statistics are false and 75.632461% imply an accuracy unfound in the real world!

Is that better unoriginality?
by Hurduser
Sat May 30, 2009 12:16 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0590: "Papyrus"
Replies: 242
Views: 58309

Re: "Papyrus" Discussion

tpcooper wrote:
sje46 wrote:No love for Trebuchet MS?

Nope. When an "A" looks like a triangle, I don't bother with the rest of it. :)

I hope that you will never comment on my contructed alphabet ;)


BTW: The one font that is needed is Bitstream Vera Sans Mono!
by Hurduser
Wed May 20, 2009 9:45 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Discuss your Signature
Replies: 800
Views: 71823

Re: Discuss your Signature

Mine is just a Windows bashing poem in German... at least I hope it is...

Edit: yes, it still is.
by Hurduser
Sat May 16, 2009 6:41 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: REALLY Annoying Misconceptions
Replies: 4059
Views: 378760

Re: REALLY Annoying Misconceptions

Listen up general public: Just because you can see something, it does not mean that I can see it. Just because you do not understand something it does not mean that it is bad. Just because I do not understand something, it does not means that I am retarded. Listen up IRC: Just because I am German, i...
by Hurduser
Sat May 16, 2009 5:42 pm UTC
Forum: Forum Games
Topic: Corrupt-a-wish
Replies: 26092
Views: 2550480

Re: Corrupt-a-wish

Enjoy the death of the universe, bring a towel!

I wish that Forth, not C became the most popular and most widely used programming language.
by Hurduser
Fri May 15, 2009 7:25 am UTC
Forum: Language/Linguistics
Topic: expressions/turns of phrase tha you love . . . share the joy
Replies: 52
Views: 7272

Re: expressions/turns of phrase tha you love . . . share the joy

"Die Kirschen aus Nachbars Garten schmecken am besten." it's German for "The cherries from neighbor's garden taste the bestest!" very fitting for the current xkcd.
by Hurduser
Fri May 15, 2009 5:53 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: what would you choose as your super power?
Replies: 636
Views: 74796

Re: what would you choose as your super power?

I have several ideas... to cause pain in others from a distance is atm my favorite. Alas poor bullies, they must have had a shared hallucination! :wink:
by Hurduser
Thu May 14, 2009 6:02 am UTC
Forum: The Help Desk
Topic: Screen magnifier software for Windows XP
Replies: 2
Views: 503

Re: Screen magnifier software for Windows XP

That was one of the programs which I tried. I use Linux as well at home, but my college insists on Mickeysoft Windoze.

Go to advanced search