Search found 49 matches

by Impeach
Mon May 26, 2014 1:32 am UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Ethics of keeping violent offenders catatonic
Replies: 63
Views: 16437

Re: Ethics of keeping violent offenders catatonic

eth·ics ˈeTHiks/ noun plural noun: ethics; noun: ethics 1. moral principles that govern a person's or group's behavior. So far all I've seen talked about is how effective putting prisoners in a coma would be for the purpose of targetedly altering their behavior. If this is an ethics discussion then ...
by Impeach
Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:59 am UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Should having a child be a right.?
Replies: 447
Views: 64015

Re: Should having a child be a right.?

The point isn't to treat people like animals(though I will point out that many think we should treat animals a little more like people). The point is, it's difficult to punish someone without removing SOME rights. If someone is a habitual reoffender and needs to be kept away from others...well, the...
by Impeach
Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:38 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Should having a child be a right.?
Replies: 447
Views: 64015

Re: Should having a child be a right.?

How can anyone claim the right to forcibly imprison others? Yet we do. Yes, our prison system is horrifying. Our own safety is one thing but we shouldn't think that we have the right to destroy people's lives and treat them like animals. Sadly far too few people seem to be willing to make any chang...
by Impeach
Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:46 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Should having a child be a right.?
Replies: 447
Views: 64015

Re: Should having a child be a right.?

You people are shameful. How can anyone claim the right to forcibly sterilize another person? REALLY are you people serious about this shit?
by Impeach
Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:32 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: 873,000 Jobs in September
Replies: 127
Views: 17661

Re: 873,000 Jobs in September

Gosh the sheer arrogance of some people. You would make an excellent scientist. Crackpots usually mistake clarity for arrogance. It's part of what makes them crackpots. And arrogant mofos usually mistake their own unwavering certainty in their beliefs and their inability to question themselves as &...
by Impeach
Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:21 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Gun Control
Replies: 2237
Views: 374506

Re: Gun Control

"One thing that I think is clear with young people and with adults as well is that we just have to be repetitive about this. It's not enough to simply have a catchy ad on a monday and then only do it every monday. We need to do this every day of the week and just really brainwash people into t...
by Impeach
Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:17 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: 873,000 Jobs in September
Replies: 127
Views: 17661

Re: 873,000 Jobs in September

I didn't say 'treason' because I don't like Obama, as you suggested. There are two possibilities here: Either you're using 'treason' because you don't like Obama, or you're using 'treason' because you genuinely don't understand what the word 'treason' means. Gosh the sheer arrogance of some people....
by Impeach
Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:01 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Gun Control
Replies: 2237
Views: 374506

Re: Gun Control

"One thing that I think is clear with young people and with adults as well is that we just have to be repetitive about this. It's not enough to simply have a catchy ad on a monday and then only do it every monday. We need to do this every day of the week and just really brainwash people into th...
by Impeach
Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:11 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: 873,000 Jobs in September
Replies: 127
Views: 17661

Re: 873,000 Jobs in September

Ugh, yeah, I hate that accusation. No, Obama is not guilty of treason by any reasonable interpretation of the term. The constitution pretty harshly limits the term. I'd say it was specifically done because of such tendencies, too. Treason happens in the following ways. 1. You make war on the US. 2....
by Impeach
Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:56 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: 873,000 Jobs in September
Replies: 127
Views: 17661

Re: 873,000 Jobs in September

He might have a shot with Gary Johnson, or is he the Green Party candidate? Anyway, http://hotair.com/archives/2012/03/18/national-defense-resources-preparedness-executive-order-power-grab-or-update/ You mean Clinton or George HW Bush right? Way to criticize a decades old executive order. Look, I t...
by Impeach
Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:08 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: 873,000 Jobs in September
Replies: 127
Views: 17661

Re: 873,000 Jobs in September

Impeach, all this talk of libertarianism is great and all, but where were you during the republican primaries? What about the primaries for 2010, 2008, 2006, 2004, and 2002? You don't get to hide for 10 years and then come out and diss the democratic candidate because he wants to be strong in forei...
by Impeach
Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:41 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: 873,000 Jobs in September
Replies: 127
Views: 17661

Re: 873,000 Jobs in September

P.S. I can't say R on Paul... This was explained to you when last you asked. Well, you told me what "the Ronpaul" is a reference to but that doesn't explain to me why we have been forbidden from mentioning the libertarian candidate by name without telling jokes. Can I respectfully ask you...
by Impeach
Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:16 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: 873,000 Jobs in September
Replies: 127
Views: 17661

Re: 873,000 Jobs in September

the Ronpaul thing is just a silly forum joke. The O-bamacare thing I don't understand at all. I got chided for including that in a thread title, since The Affordable Care and Patient Protection Act seemed a little long, despite the fact that Obama himself has invited the use of that term. Maybe the...
by Impeach
Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:58 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: 873,000 Jobs in September
Replies: 127
Views: 17661

Re: 873,000 Jobs in September

This answer comes from a complete lack of understanding of any side of the argument but your own. Whether or not the 'single payer' system will help unemployment really doesn't matter to me. I do not think that the federal government should have the power to mandate that I purchase anything and on ...
by Impeach
Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:22 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: 873,000 Jobs in September
Replies: 127
Views: 17661

Re: 873,000 Jobs in September

You need to chill out, because your ranting is worse than whatever you perceive in the previous guy's post. Btw, you really think CNN is a partisan hack? To who? You mean MSNBC right? Because you really put your objectiveness at risk if you think CNN has a democratic bias. Your best argument agains...
by Impeach
Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:06 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: 873,000 Jobs in September
Replies: 127
Views: 17661

Re: 873,000 Jobs in September

Even if the report were true, it's the Fox News media narrative that the people that need convincing will be paying attention to, and you can rest assured no mentions of such positive reports will be made by the partisan hacks over there. People don't care about reports; they care what their friend...
by Impeach
Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:15 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: What’s the best piece of advice you could give to everyone?
Replies: 121
Views: 30157

Re: What’s the best piece of advice you could give to everyo

The Great Hippo wrote:The best advice I can give everyone:

Don't respond to the post directly above this one.


Respond how you will but that is still the advice. Either consider it or ignore it.
by Impeach
Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:09 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: What’s the best piece of advice you could give to everyone?
Replies: 121
Views: 30157

Re: What’s the best piece of advice you could give to everyo

Well, a good piece of specific advice that I could give is this: Don't vote for Obama.
by Impeach
Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:01 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Gun Control
Replies: 2237
Views: 374506

Re: Gun Control

Besides, making guns illegal would only catch the attention of people who obey the law. Felons and gang members do not just pick one law to break and obey the rest, they just don't care if something is illegal. I don't understand why you would think that. Of course some felons pick one law to break...
by Impeach
Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:50 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Gun Control
Replies: 2237
Views: 374506

Re: Gun Control

Thesh's argument about the escalation in firepower is interesting, but I think it's far too exclusive to ignore the effect that supply has outright -- especially without any actual data. Guns have not always been cheap and easy to acquire historically , but yet the same sort of violence was preexis...
by Impeach
Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:15 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Do natural rights exist?
Replies: 106
Views: 26390

Re: Do natural rights exist?

The problem I have with rights as logical constructs is that they usually seem to rest on assumptions that are very easy to reject while still having a coherent model of reality. For example, the "do unto others" principle rests on the assumption that all humans should be treated equally,...
by Impeach
Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:58 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: A small, specific question about libertarianism
Replies: 667
Views: 78647

Re: A small, specific question about libertarianism

What I said was the state "shouldn't be allowed" to do things to people that we are not allowed to do to each other, not that they can't. But either way, most of that I stuff we ARE allowed to do. We can arrest people and members if a jury can try them. In fact, the citizens who are membe...
by Impeach
Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:59 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: A small, specific question about libertarianism
Replies: 667
Views: 78647

Re: A small, specific question about libertarianism

Now, the state IS there to do things on our behalf so I'm with you on that. That does not give them the authority to forcibly dictate how we must do things just because that is their vision for us and they are doing it "on our behalf." "On our behalf" is supposed to mean "i...
by Impeach
Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:39 am UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: A small, specific question about libertarianism
Replies: 667
Views: 78647

Re: A small, specific question about libertarianism

He's wrong, but that's not because it's an Ofxord comma, which doesn't involve linking sentences. Anyway, Grammar aside, your broader point is also wrong! In English, the proper way to merge two sentences together is to separate them with either a comma or a conjunction but using both is incorrect....
by Impeach
Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:02 am UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: A small, specific question about libertarianism
Replies: 667
Views: 78647

Re: A small, specific question about libertarianism

I could't decipher your point, but the statement was wrong and thus corrected anyway. The idea that you know this because of the sweat of your own learning willfully ignores that fact that I just helped you. Give me money for it. Edit: That is, unless you don't feel obligated to compensate me for s...
by Impeach
Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:47 am UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: A small, specific question about libertarianism
Replies: 667
Views: 78647

Re: A small, specific question about libertarianism

yurell wrote:
Impeach wrote:In English, the proper way to merge two sentences together is to separate them with either a comma or a conjunction but using both is incorrect.


Oxford Comma


Uh, Yeeaahh..... That wasn't really my point.
by Impeach
Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:39 am UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: A small, specific question about libertarianism
Replies: 667
Views: 78647

Re: A small, specific question about libertarianism

"False"? A somewhat arrogant one don't you think? Sure, I suppose you could return to a barter system if you wanted, but I think it is safe to say the rest of us want to live in a modern technological civilisation. If you want to see how a currency without anything backing it up works, lo...
by Impeach
Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:10 am UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: 'stranger than fiction' Orwellian laws in Australia
Replies: 57
Views: 11433

Re: 'stranger than fiction' Orwellian laws in Australia

yurell wrote:
Impeach wrote:As for a corporation's false claim that a drug can make you fly, yes the can say that at it's perfectly legal for them to.


What country (or nightmare-world) are you in where that's legal?


America. Where did you think?
by Impeach
Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:01 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Twelve killed by gunman in Denver movie theatre
Replies: 216
Views: 37664

Re: Twelve killed by gunman in Denver movie theatre

Criminals make their decisions based on factors other then whether or not something is against the law. Prohibition has never worked on ANYTHING. Back when our government cared about doing things in a legal way, the constitution was amended to ban alcohol. Because of this the mafia exists. People qu...
by Impeach
Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:30 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: 'stranger than fiction' Orwellian laws in Australia
Replies: 57
Views: 11433

Re: 'stranger than fiction' Orwellian laws in Australia

... it is still based on the precedent that the court has jurisdiction over the truth. My grievance with this Orwellian principle is totally valid. You aren't going to tell me that you think it's crazy to be weary of this, are you EDIT: besides to you really trust that courts are incorruptible? Thi...
by Impeach
Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:58 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: "The __ word"
Replies: 160
Views: 25218

Re: "The __ word"

... continuous personal insults would obviously be very detrimental to the quality of this discussion but that's not what we are talking about. Obviously people SHOULDN'T insult each other like that but we can't control them. ... why is that obvious if you simultaneously claim what other people say...
by Impeach
Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:29 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Twelve killed by gunman in Denver movie theatre
Replies: 216
Views: 37664

Re: Twelve killed by gunman in Denver movie theatre

I don't feel that I should have to justify my rights. I've decided that I have a right to all your money. Do you feel as if that right requires justification? If not, would you prefer to pay me with a check, or in cash? Of course we need to justify our rights. Rights exist because they leave us bet...
by Impeach
Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:36 am UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: "The __ word"
Replies: 160
Views: 25218

Re: "The __ word"

This experience in itself causes no pain or any other emotion How am I supposed to take "X causes no emotion beyond what you choose to allow" and also accept "Well, obviously X causes SOME emotional response that you can't ignore"? All I've been arguing is that for certain conte...
by Impeach
Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:04 am UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: "The __ word"
Replies: 160
Views: 25218

Re: "The __ word"

This experience in itself causes no pain or any other emotion, what matters is what effect this listener allows this to have on him. Everyone knows this is true and we've known it since we were little. Your parents or your teachers tell you "just ignore him." Wow. You're a fucking moron. ...
by Impeach
Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:07 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: 'stranger than fiction' Orwellian laws in Australia
Replies: 57
Views: 11433

Re: 'stranger than fiction' Orwellian laws in Australia

... it gives government the ability to unilaterally decide what THE truth is and fine businesses over am million dollars for saying anything other than that. Earlier in the thread , or the previously supplied links, it was pointed out that fines are issued only after a court finding . So your main ...
by Impeach
Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:03 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Twelve killed by gunman in Denver movie theatre
Replies: 216
Views: 37664

Re: Twelve killed by gunman in Denver movie theatre

I worry that my basic rights, which I do not use improperly, will be taken away from me in I way I have no control over. Can't you see that that is real for me? Why are you judging me so harshly for that? You are trying to take away my right one of a free societies most important tools and all you ...
by Impeach
Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:48 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Twelve killed by gunman in Denver movie theatre
Replies: 216
Views: 37664

Re: Twelve killed by gunman in Denver movie theatre

I think your tendency to at once laud and praise the success of the government (in the form of the second amendment) as well as harp on about the "clearly rogue government" has an overall confusing and distorted message which is hard to take seriously even without the other tiresome lines...
by Impeach
Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:33 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Twelve killed by gunman in Denver movie theatre
Replies: 216
Views: 37664

Re: Twelve killed by gunman in Denver movie theatre

Do you really think so? I thought this was a tragic example of how humans sometimes do terrible things. All the guns were bought legally within a two month span, he had no criminal record and no history of mental illness. Guns are significantly more deadly than other easily obtained weapons, and ha...
by Impeach
Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:42 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: "The __ word"
Replies: 160
Views: 25218

Re: "The __ word"

This experience in itself causes no pain or any other emotion, what matters is what effect this listener allows this to have on him. Everyone knows this is true and we've known it since we were little. Your parents or your teachers tell you "just ignore him." Wow. You're a fucking moron. ...
by Impeach
Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:45 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: "The __ word"
Replies: 160
Views: 25218

Re: "The __ word"

[quote="DSenette"saying the word nigger TOTALLY carry's the same weight as saying that black people are inferior to white people IF you're a person who has been called a nigger because you're black. or you know, because you're part of a culture, that for 200+ years has had the word nigger ...

Go to advanced search