Search found 6809 matches

by ucim
Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:00 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Libertarianism
Replies: 702
Views: 13598

Re: Libertarianism

If you do acknowledge the range of things between the two, why do you persist in the false dichotomy, declaring any conversation that isn't about US-style chattel slavery to be a different conversation, on the basis that it must be about working for low minimum-or-above wages? Because it's an appea...
by ucim
Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:00 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Libertarianism
Replies: 702
Views: 13598

Re: Libertarianism

Arbitrarily changing the contract later doesn't generally have a lot of validity. Actually important at present, because Moviepass is trying this exact thing, and it isn't flying. [...] So, doing this isn't usually enforceable in present day society. Nor should it be! I agree it shouldn't be, and I...
by ucim
Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:47 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Libertarianism
Replies: 702
Views: 13598

Re: Libertarianism

I just thought, if you were not making reference to it yourself, you might enjoy reading about Rawls' Original Position concept, which is a great formalization and elaboration of the idea. FYI Rawls is the main contemporary opponent of Nozick who is the main contemporary advocate of libertarianism ...
by ucim
Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:38 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1190: "Time"
Replies: 106224
Views: 38005965

Re: 1190: "Time"

Opi peeks in to the OTT [...] do they miss the OTC as much as he?* Oh my Randall! It's Opiboble ! Well, we miss it so much that we created sequels, prequels, imaginary extensions, and all sorts of other story-shaped things - there's more Time after Time than there was Time! Come join us! But mostly...
by ucim
Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:13 am UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Libertarianism
Replies: 702
Views: 13598

Re: Libertarianism

I am not familiar with Rawls; I don't study philosophy. However, the idea it embodies ( what if you were to become somebody else at random; what would you want? ) is closely related to empathy. Neither the idea of empathy nor this particular statement of it is original to me. There are many variants...
by ucim
Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:31 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 2028: "Complex Numbers"
Replies: 48
Views: 2456

Re: 2028: "Complex Numbers"

PM 2Ring wrote:Well, sure. But that's a fairly modern notion, and it took a lot of mathematical development before we could get to that position.
I was counting on somebody to get to the root of that complex concept, but only in my imagination.

Jose
by ucim
Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:29 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1190: "Time"
Replies: 106224
Views: 38005965

Re: 1190: "Time"

My meowlpy seems a little perkier today. I'm glad to hear it. Meowlpys are people too. 18 yips is a lot for a meowlpy - I'm sure they were awesomeful years that you gave her. Oh, and [ REDACTED ]. Welcome back from the (dark and dangerous) basement! I'm sure [ REDACTED ]. Jose ps: [ DACTED ] (only ...
by ucim
Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:23 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 2028: "Complex Numbers"
Replies: 48
Views: 2456

Re: 2028: "Complex Numbers"

PM 2Ring wrote:Mathematicians used negative numbers for a long while, but they weren't considered to be proper numbers. They were just a bookkeeping trick that simplified calculation and algebra.
But that's what numbers are. The lot of them!
rmsgrey wrote:it's easy to find/create half apples or quarter circles
But you can't create half a piece of paper.

Jose
by ucim
Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:19 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1344: "Digits"
Replies: 89
Views: 35735

Re: 1344: "Digits"

In case you haven't seen it, here's an OTTification of the 2048 game: http://mrob.com/time/Q04B/ It's essentially the same game, but with numbers replaced by images from the Time comic, and a number of fun upgrades. For the curious, other hotdogs (games) can be found listed in the Time wiki . Jose
by ucim
Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:08 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: The Darker Side of the News
Replies: 3995
Views: 513028

Re: The Darker Side of the News

I'm placing rather more hope in the value of deterrence. So far, that's proven to be fairly reliable. Pre Trump, yes. But our Supreme Leader is poking crocodiles with sticks, both in our own country and around the world. And the premise is that the US wipes North Korea out with our nuclear weapons,...
by ucim
Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:02 am UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Libertarianism
Replies: 702
Views: 13598

Re: Libertarianism

People do sell themselves into slavery today... Let's just be clear on the meaning of the word "slavery". Do you mean it in the sense of actual slaves, such as the ones that were stolen from Africa to work the plantations in the (US) South prior to the Civil War? The ones that were legall...
by ucim
Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:57 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: The Darker Side of the News
Replies: 3995
Views: 513028

Re: The Darker Side of the News

If the US gets nuked and legitimately goes on the warpath vs North korea, I don't think anyone else is going to put their survival on the line to get in the way of that. You're assuming all countries are sane and in agreement with us. You think no nation that has invested in nukes would be tempted ...
by ucim
Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:50 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Libertarianism
Replies: 702
Views: 13598

Re: Libertarianism

What do libertarians think of public libraries? IMO probably the greatest government institution there is.

Jose
by ucim
Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:47 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: The Darker Side of the News
Replies: 3995
Views: 513028

Re: The Darker Side of the News

[The number of nukes NK could launch at us] is probably fairly low, and the shots are fairly unreliable. Trans-pacific launches are unlikely to have much tactical or strategic effect. The 'best case' scenario for North Korea is what, they blow up a west coast city, and the US utterly pounds them in...
by ucim
Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:21 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1190: "Time"
Replies: 106224
Views: 38005965

Re: 1190: "Time"

SBN wrote:Should we send him a link?
Link should send him a link.

Jose
by ucim
Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:06 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 2028: "Complex Numbers"
Replies: 48
Views: 2456

Re: 2028: "Complex Numbers"

MartianInvader wrote:The real difference between the two is that the complex numbers have a multiplication defined on them which makes them into an algebraically-closed field.
Yes, but what's the imaginary difference?

Jose
by ucim
Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:25 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Libertarianism
Replies: 702
Views: 13598

Re: Libertarianism

...which is why a refinement of that rule may be called for. No rule or general principle is universally valid includng this one except perhaps in fundamentalist religions. So, rather than condemn a broad stroke that happens to have an undesirable edge case, you might ask if this edge case is one th...
by ucim
Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:56 am UTC
Forum: Fictional Science
Topic: Trying to construct an ideal future virtual society of dragons
Replies: 18
Views: 757

Re: Trying to construct an ideal future virtual society of dragons

Perhaps this would gain more traction in fictional science? Although you envision this as a virtual reality for regular folk, the SF community has probably thought more about the issues involved.

Jose
by ucim
Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:53 am UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Libertarianism
Replies: 702
Views: 13598

Re: Libertarianism

but apparently the only thing a Libertarian could think of is an argument that also justifies blackmail and kidnapping. Why can't blackmail and kidnapping be curtailed outside of that argument? Freedom of speech is justified using arguments that also justify impersonating a police officer; prohibit...
by ucim
Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:57 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 2027: "Lightning Distance"
Replies: 44
Views: 1902

Re: 2027: "Lightning Distance"

Sableagle wrote:ucim, would Joule like to take another shot at this?
I'm shocked you would ask.

Jose
by ucim
Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:39 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 2027: "Lightning Distance"
Replies: 44
Views: 1902

Re: 2027: "Lightning Distance"

Soupspoon wrote:
hamjudo wrote:Always assume that you are at the end of the lightning strike. It will make many many issues moot.
Adopt a more positive attitude?
Just don't resist.

Jose
by ucim
Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:48 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1190: "Time"
Replies: 106224
Views: 38005965

Re: 1190: "Time"

addams wrote:Color me impressed.
I don't know my own IP address.
Google knows. Just ask it nicely. :)

Google knows everything. Just not everything it knows is true.

Jose
by ucim
Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:54 pm UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: Where are all the balls?
Replies: 13
Views: 1380

Re: Where are all the balls?

Also, strictly speaking I think ω+ω is more correctly written ω∙2 rather than 2ω, because adding ω 2's together simply produces ω whereas adding 2 ω's is the result we want. Yep, you're right. Infinitely sloppy of me. I think the issue is akin to nondifferentiability. At t=1, everything happens at ...
by ucim
Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:25 am UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: Where are all the balls?
Replies: 13
Views: 1380

Re: Where are all the balls?

It's not that they get odd, it's that getting there is odd. Once you're there, you have another well-ordered sequence. It happens to extend backwards, but not whence you came. That is, you can go from p ω to p ω-1 to p ω-2 ... and never get to p 0 whence you came. You can get there (sort of) but you...
by ucim
Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:58 pm UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: Where are all the balls?
Replies: 13
Views: 1380

Re: Where are all the balls?

Ok. So since the pot after pω is pω+1, etc, then in the original question, the balls would be in pots pω thru pω·2.

What order are they in?

Jose
(edit: subscript ω·2 instead of 2ω)
by ucim
Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:11 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Libertarianism
Replies: 702
Views: 13598

Re: Libertarianism

Yes, if most people end up dependent on the (UBI) dole, social issues will result as this tightens government control over all of us. This is one of the reasons a UBI is not one of my favorite ideas. wut This makes no sense at all The context (down near the bottom) is that if the government hands o...
by ucim
Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:07 pm UTC
Forum: Forum Games
Topic: First Contact
Replies: 7
Views: 1419

Re: First Contact

--------........--------........--------........--------.......-......-.......--.....-.......-.-.....--......---....-...(etc)....------------........--------........--------........-------- establishing eight bit blocks with "sync pulses" and counting in binary within them, terminating th...
by ucim
Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:55 pm UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: Where are all the balls?
Replies: 13
Views: 1380

Re: Where are all the balls?

Other than the obfuscatory shuffling that happens, how is this fundamentally different from a situation where there are infinite jugs and one ball? Your hand ("jug zero") starts out with the ball in it. At step 0, the ball is placed into jug 1. At step k, the ball is removed from jug k and...
by ucim
Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:38 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Libertarianism
Replies: 702
Views: 13598

Re: Libertarianism

Like, you are arguing for a government-enforced monopoly... I'm not arguing for anything. I'm asking how Theshville would deal with a capitalist pig-dog (collective of one) who's so "non-rational" as to profit from his own property. I contend that absent some sort of interference, he will...
by ucim
Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:08 am UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Libertarianism
Replies: 702
Views: 13598

Re: Libertarianism

Frankly, you don't seem to be capable of actually making a reasoned argument [...] You are an extremely narrow-minded person. Thank you for informing me about my cognitive limitations. I already admitted that I probably should not be allowed to tie my own shoes. I am far stupider than you are, and ...
by ucim
Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:32 am UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Libertarianism
Replies: 702
Views: 13598

Re: Libertarianism

All you are demonstrating here is a lack of imagination; it's as if you think there is only one possible way that things can work. Capitalist pig-dog has no imagination. He does what he does. You have no control over what he does. That is the basic flaw in your argument - it presumes you do. You ar...
by ucim
Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:09 am UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Libertarianism
Replies: 702
Views: 13598

Re: Libertarianism

They would sell the design, not the tool. They would do no such thing - once the design is sold, it can be copied and he's out. And in any case, again, you cannot state what the capitalist pig-dog does. That's a given of the scenario. He does what I say he does. Once he does that, what does the Kin...
by ucim
Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:03 am UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Libertarianism
Replies: 702
Views: 13598

Re: Libertarianism

I'll leave your other comments alone; this is just contradiction. But Well, if they were actually rational, they would go to worker cooperatives and consumer cooperatives, show that their tool is better and allows them to be more efficient, and sell it to them for a profit without having to do any m...
by ucim
Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:41 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: The Darker Side of the News
Replies: 3995
Views: 513028

Re: The Darker Side of the News

For one thing, we don't have a great extradition treaty with Russia... I'm not talking about specifics, I'm talking in general, as a backdrop for the specifics. This, to keep me (and us) from falling into the same knee-jerk reaction that fuels partisanship. The reason this case is different can't b...
by ucim
Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:27 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: The Darker Side of the News
Replies: 3995
Views: 513028

Re: The Darker Side of the News

Again I don't know the details of the cases in question (none of us do - we can only evaluate what we read and hear), but it comes down to whether Country A ought to support Country B's imposition of Country B's laws, when the alleged violator scoots off to Country A. In this case, the US is Country...
by ucim
Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:17 am UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Libertarianism
Replies: 702
Views: 13598

Re: Libertarianism

My definition of efficient market is that someone can't expect to get ahead of someone else without working harder for it. That's not the canonical definition of "efficient market", but whatever. If I can get ahead of everyone else just because I have property , that's where we differ. Th...
by ucim
Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:07 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: The Darker Side of the News
Replies: 3995
Views: 513028

Re: The Darker Side of the News

...Either Trump's administration is in the pocket of Putin.... Before pinning this on Trump, one would need to know the time frame. The first case in the article was six years ago. Now, it could point to infiltration of our government by the Russians being an ongoing thing which started long ago (a...
by ucim
Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:41 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Libertarianism
Replies: 702
Views: 13598

Re: Libertarianism

...Profits pay people for the inefficiencies in the economy; that's what they represent. Profits imply artificial scarcity...[...] Please, point out something other than "profit motive" in which profiting is better for the economy than not profiting. First off, your definition of the &quo...
by ucim
Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:50 am UTC
Forum: Forum Games
Topic: Generic Game
Replies: 687
Views: 39699

Re: Generic Game

Post making a move while nobody's looking, and thanking chridd for the heads-up. And then wondering if it's a trap.

Yum. Buffalo hot wings! (I didn't know buffalo had wings)

Jose
by ucim
Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:48 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1190: "Time"
Replies: 106224
Views: 38005965

Re: 1190: "Time"

moody7277 wrote:A noble task.
Or a Nobel task.

Jose

Go to advanced search