Search found 17 matches

by Steve K
Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:46 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1063: "Kill Hitler"
Replies: 278
Views: 69262

Re: 1063: "Kill Hitler"

Ooh! I like rambling about time travel and causality! I posit that even with a time machine it is impossible to alter history, because whatever "changes" you make in the timeline become just another part of everyone's history, including your own. Anything you do in the past will have alre...
by Steve K
Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:40 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1063: "Kill Hitler"
Replies: 278
Views: 69262

Re: 1063: "Kill Hitler"

Ooh! I like rambling about time travel and causality! I posit that even with a time machine it is impossible to alter history, because whatever "changes" you make in the timeline become just another part of everyone's history, including your own. Anything you do in the past will have alre...
by Steve K
Wed May 02, 2012 4:10 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1050: "Forgot Algebra"
Replies: 360
Views: 86776

Re: 1050: "Forgot Algebra"

Okay, I see a lot of assumptions being made about this comic. Let's break it down to what's actually given: 1. "Proud girl" once told Miss Lenhart that she'd never use algebra. 2. In twenty years, she hasn't (or doesn't recognize where she has.) 3. She's proud enough of (2) to yell it at M...
by Steve K
Wed May 02, 2012 12:05 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1050: "Forgot Algebra"
Replies: 360
Views: 86776

Re: 1050: "Forgot Algebra"

One thing I felt hasn't been made clear so far is the difference between "arithmetic" and "algebra". Elementary algebra, what it seems the character is referring to, should not be confused with arithmetic. Just because the two share the same operations on numbers does not make t...
by Steve K
Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:28 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1027: "Pickup Artist"
Replies: 2030
Views: 275145

Re: 1027: Pickup Artist

This is bullshit. So we are suppose to equate ANY AND ALL attempts to pick up, go out with, or otherwise "score" with a girl as misogyny against or objectification of women? And the straw man shows up on page 1! No, we're supposed to equate any treatment of other human beings as trophies ...
by Steve K
Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:56 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0992: "Mnemonics"
Replies: 278
Views: 66244

Re: 0992: "Mnemonics"

PEMDAS sucks because: it implies multiply and division have different precedence, when they're actually the same, likewise addition subtraction Grouping is the highest precedence and either the American P version or the Brit B version omit a vertical division bar, which is a significant group opera...
by Steve K
Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:16 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0987: "Potential"
Replies: 42
Views: 15971

Re: 0987: "Potential"

glasnt wrote:Oh dear, ohm hoping that there's not going to be a pun thread.
:twisted:


Don't resist. Just follow the current.
by Steve K
Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:08 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0783: "I Don't Want Directions"
Replies: 193
Views: 38741

Re: "I Don't Want Directions" discussion (#783)

My immediate reaction to this comic was to put myself on the other end of the line:

"..oh, you want to send me a letter? OK, my address is PO Box 435..."

Set your GPS to that.
by Steve K
Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:09 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0545: "Neutrality Schmeutrality"
Replies: 137
Views: 51934

Re: "Neutrality Schmeutrality" discussion

dennisw wrote:
dragon and tiger wrote:
FluffX wrote:Quick question: What happens if there is no Wikipedia article on it, or the one they have is deleted?


0 is even.

Null is not the same as zero. As to whether null is even...

Null is not an integer. Therefore it cannot be even or odd.
by Steve K
Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:05 pm UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: A Cryptic Dialogue
Replies: 14
Views: 1971

Re: A Cryptic Dialogue

BoomFrog, To answer your specific question: Where are you getting the numbers for how long the words are? Each sentence only represents one word? Cryptics generally include enumerations because of their harder nature. Ended included those enumerations within his spoiler. To answer your general quest...
by Steve K
Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:23 pm UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: Coins Switching Places
Replies: 12
Views: 3017

Re: Coins Switching Places

3. Continue until you get tired of repeating essentially the same process. The important thing to note here is that the addition of an extra coin does not get in the way of solving the other coins. Instead, it just adds additional steps onto the end of the process. You can continue adding on either...
by Steve K
Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:47 am UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: Coins Switching Places
Replies: 12
Views: 3017

Re: Coins Switching Places

I'm pretty sure, although I haven't proven it, that the puzzle is always solvable as long as S is greater than or equal to 1, regardless of what d and l are. New challenge! Yes, it is. IANAM, but here is my attempt at an informal proof by induction: 1. Consider D=1, S=1, L=1 The solution is: ⋅...
by Steve K
Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:08 am UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: Right and Left - Truth and Lies.
Replies: 23
Views: 3421

Re: Right and Left - Truth and Lies.

PatchMonster wrote:My uncreative solution:
Spoiler:
The paper had foreign language written on it!


Which unfortunately relies on the assumption that...
Spoiler:
no-one in that country would or could ever write in a foreign language.
by Steve K
Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:17 am UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: A Cryptic Dialogue
Replies: 14
Views: 1971

Re: A Cryptic Dialogue

Great. Now I'm going to be up all night. ; ) I can usually demolish a US cryptic puzzle within an hour, but UK cryptics tend to be much harder for me. And this one is definitely of that tradition. Here's what I think I've gotten so far. Answers with a ? I'm not at all sure of. Answers without ? are ...
by Steve K
Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:30 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0482: "Height"
Replies: 271
Views: 73624

Re: "Height" Discussion

Is that the Existentialist in the oak tree?

I liked the Asteriods.

When I saw the point of the comic, I was kind of hoping to see "God's Eye" and "Mote" (or maybe just a Crazy Eddie probe), or possibly Trantor. Ah well.
by Steve K
Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:48 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0466: "Moving"
Replies: 165
Views: 32060

Re: Moving

Seriously? Most of you are still broadcasting your SSID? :shock: I guess I'm just paranoid -- My SSID is not broacast, I've got MAC address filtering on, and I'm using WPA with a pseudorandom 60[*]-character key that I generated using OpenOffice.org Calc. Still, the first electronic thing on when we...
by Steve K
Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:59 am UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: My write-up of the "Blue Eyes" solution (SPOILER A
Replies: 1368
Views: 420988

Re: Blue Eyes

The REAL problem here is that the Guru is a BITCH. She could have just said "I see 100 people with blue eyes, and 100 people with brown eyes," and they could all leave the fucking island that night, without any thought at all, really. Not really. The puzzle doesn't say whether it's prefer...

Go to advanced search