Search found 23 matches

by mania
Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:55 pm UTC
Forum: What If?
Topic: What-If 0022: "Cost of Pennies"
Replies: 101
Views: 28749

Re: What-If 0022: Cost of Pennies

In order to make your argument you still have to assume that you are or can make $10/hr 24/7. All you did was correct that the time picking up the penny wouldn't be included in the 24 hours. Nope, I'm also pointing out that even if you can't find more hours to work at $10/hr, it doesn't matter. Tha...
by mania
Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:14 pm UTC
Forum: What If?
Topic: What-If 0022: "Cost of Pennies"
Replies: 101
Views: 28749

Re: What-If 0022: Cost of Pennies

While the answer is obviously somewhat tongue-in cheek, I was also a bit irked by what appears to be the assumption that one earns 10 dollars an hour 24/7. That's not the assumption at all. If it were , one ought always pick up the penny as you're earning $10/hour either way - a penny gained then, ...
by mania
Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:19 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1002: "Game AIs"
Replies: 251
Views: 109050

Re: 1002: "Game AIs"

Personally I would not accept a computer winning a game of counterstrike/starcraft versus a human as fair unless it was interpreting the images and sending the appropriate mouse/keyboard commands, at a somewhat realistic speed. Particularly starcraft, it's just not "fair" that the computer...
by mania
Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:42 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0986: "Drinking Fountains"
Replies: 115
Views: 25305

Re: 0986: "Drinking Fountains"

The alt text is backwards. "drink FAST enough, and eliminate SLOWLY enough" would make more sense. No it isn't, and nash1429 explains why (despite agreeing with you): Yeah, I don't think the kidney would be able to process liquid fast enough to refill the bladder as you urinated, regardle...
by mania
Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:36 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0955: "Neutrinos"
Replies: 159
Views: 44296

Re: 0955: "Neutrinos"

J L wrote:
toastedcrumpets wrote:
mania wrote:Kind of wondering if Randall's making one on the possible discovery of tachyonic neutrinos announced overnight...

Nah, the comic would have arrived slightly earlier than usual if that was the case......


Nice guess :)

Thank you.. have to say, Toastedcrumpets reply was golden :)
by mania
Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:57 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0947: “Investing”
Replies: 148
Views: 34123

Re: 0947: “Investing”

I've gotten into this argument many times with family members that insist on playing the lottery (The state tax on people who are bad at math). For many, lottery is the only chance they'll ever be truly rich. [...] To ignore both the "fun factor" of gambling and the dream of one day to be...
by mania
Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:53 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0947: “Investing”
Replies: 148
Views: 34123

Re: 0947: “Investing”

Until playing the lottery gives better odds on achieving that outcome than more traditional investments (including savings accounts and stuffing money under your mattress), there's always something more important you should be doing with it. That's fine, provided you apply this logic to all non-ess...
by mania
Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:06 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0947: “Investing”
Replies: 148
Views: 34123

Re: 0947: “Investing”

I've gotten into this argument many times with family members that insist on playing the lottery (The state tax on people who are bad at math). I disagree with this. It's looking at lottery too linearly. ie you're of the opinion that for every $1 you put in, you get 50c back out. That's not how it ...
by mania
Wed May 25, 2011 4:56 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0903: "Extended Mind"
Replies: 666
Views: 184477

Re: 0903: "Extended Mind"

As usual, Randall is just taking concepts he found on Wikipedia or Reddit (or sometimes both!) and acting like he came up with them. I really cannot understand how you can draw that conclusion from the alt text. I read it, went hmpf, no way (and then went on to try it)... but at no point did I ever...
by mania
Wed May 25, 2011 1:21 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0903: "Extended Mind"
Replies: 666
Views: 184477

Re: 0903: "Extended Mind"

dp2 wrote:By the way, "Weird Al Yankovic" dead-ends at "Organism".


In what way is Organism a dead-end?
by mania
Wed May 25, 2011 12:00 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0903: "Extended Mind"
Replies: 666
Views: 184477

Re: 0903: "Extended Mind"

phlip wrote:I made a graph from 50 different random pages (picked by Special:Random):


Impressive. Not sure it makes sense to follow dead links though... don't really consider them links myself. -shrugs-
by mania
Wed May 25, 2011 9:39 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0903: "Extended Mind"
Replies: 666
Views: 184477

Re: 0903: "Extended Mind"

Well the next game is Obviously trying to find which article is furthest away from philosophy (but still ends there so no loop). Got that beat by a mile, 239 links to get to philosophy. And, at the time of writing, due to some subtle editing (not performed by I) it went through xkcd. 239 steps to p...
by mania
Mon May 23, 2011 4:26 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0902: "Darmok and Jalad"
Replies: 125
Views: 35549

Re: 0902: Darmok and Jalad

I needed the wiki article :oops:..
by mania
Mon May 02, 2011 4:55 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0893: "65 Years"
Replies: 222
Views: 89484

Re: 0893: "65 Years"

Um.... I personally don't consider the moon a world. This one troubles me too. I generally think.. world = planet. Looking it up on wiktionary didn't help. .. although I suppose reference.com is probably right in it's definition of "heavenly body". Still doesn't sit the best with me =/.
by mania
Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:18 pm UTC
Forum: Coding
Topic: How do you code a "Secure Delete" [C++]
Replies: 11
Views: 3956

Re: How do you code a "Secure Delete" [C++]

Eraser 's open source, perhaps take a peek? ;) And even if it does reach the disk, there is no guarantee that it is written to the same physical spot, as some harddisk controllers may prefer to use the whole of the disk medium evenly so that no part of it gets worn out faster, or even do their own ...
by mania
Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:19 am UTC
Forum: Coding
Topic: Is Common Lisp inherently slow or is it just my environment?
Replies: 12
Views: 3745

Re: Is Common Lisp inherently slow or is it just my environm

Sorry, good point. I do think sagekiller's problem is most likely due to ~20 byte objects holding onto 2 megabyte unmanaged resources without informing the gc it's doing so though.. but yes, if an item has a dispose method you should aim to call it deterministically (I say aim because using won't ca...
by mania
Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:37 am UTC
Forum: Coding
Topic: Is Common Lisp inherently slow or is it just my environment?
Replies: 12
Views: 3745

Re: Is Common Lisp inherently slow or is it just my environm

Take C# for example, there's a handful of constructs in the language where you need to explicitly call Dispose when you're doing using them, or else they'll sit there and hold up resources until your program closes (or crashes). I actually wrote an application a few days ago that crashed because it...
by mania
Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:17 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0826: "Guest Week: Zach Weiner (SMBC)"
Replies: 91
Views: 28042

Re: 0826: "Guest Week: Zach Weiner (SMBC)"

I loved this one. Also one of Zach's additional SMBC visitors today =) - it's been a while.
by mania
Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:28 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0710: "Collatz Conjecture"
Replies: 278
Views: 70546

Re: "Collatz Conjecture" Discussion

So who has made a program that adds numbers to a similar looking graph already?
by mania
Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:09 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0701: "Science Valentine"
Replies: 133
Views: 37112

Re: "Science Valentine" Discussion

I cannot understand how so many xkcders confuse title text and alt text. :?
by mania
Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:02 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0665: "Prudence"
Replies: 123
Views: 37151

Re: "Prudence" Discussion

Taking a couple of seconds to get this one only made me enjoy it more :)
by mania
Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:23 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0545: "Neutrality Schmeutrality"
Replies: 137
Views: 51742

Re: "Neutrality Schmeutrality" discussion

For more chaos, make the deadline the end of the week or 1 hour after the last edit, whichever is later.
by mania
Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:18 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0419: "Forks and Spoons"
Replies: 146
Views: 30246

Re: "Forks and Spoons" Discussion

Made me think of this post :)

Go to advanced search