Search found 58 matches

by Vnend
Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:04 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1952: "Backpack Decisions"
Replies: 38
Views: 10168

Re: 1952: "Backpack Decisions"

keithl wrote:Why are most backpacks black?


To melt your chocolate.

Which is why I have one with a cooler attachment.

That I almost never use, because the top part doesn't have the right pockets.
by Vnend
Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:01 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1952: "Backpack Decisions"
Replies: 38
Views: 10168

Re: 1952: "Backpack Decisions"

For my brother-in-law, every bar on the chart needs to go off to the right quite a bit more, to the point where you can't see their ends and can't tell which one took longer. Yeah, he probably spends more time deliberating about camera bags than the camera itself, but that doesn't mean he doesn't s...
by Vnend
Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:38 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1791: "Telescopes: Refractor vs Reflector"
Replies: 99
Views: 17493

Re: 1791: "Telescopes: Refractor vs Reflector"

Re: Re: title text Yeah, but point a 6 inch F/15 refractor at a good star cluster and the view is magical, diagonal or straight through. If vampires could shimmer like that they'd have a much higher public opinion. [It was pretty confusing, coming in late in the day and seeing all the comments about...
by Vnend
Sat May 10, 2014 9:37 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1365: "Inflation"
Replies: 56
Views: 28198

Re: 1365: "Inflation"

Geminia wrote:I suppose I will ask the obvious question, does anyone know what the wording on the image is? I can't seem to make it out...


Here you go, flipped and colors manipulated for easier visibility. Well, for me.

Image
by Vnend
Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:18 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1000: "1000 Comics"
Replies: 147
Views: 49513

Re: 1000: "1000 Comics"

Woohoo! Congratulations on reaching this 10^3 x 21.1cm-stone! (Or 4 digits base10, if you prefer.)
by Vnend
Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:17 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0977: "Map Projections"
Replies: 353
Views: 136191

Re: 0977: "Map Projections"

And suddenly I have this urge to play with maps, globes and anamorphic projections...
by Vnend
Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:05 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0977: "Map Projections"
Replies: 353
Views: 136191

Re: Map Projections

Here is a commercial version of a digital globe, they make a 16" globe: http://www.globalimagination.com/products.html and here is a DIY version: http://www.howtogeek.com/95595/diy-3d-projector-creates-snow-globe-like-data-projections/ On a related note, here is a wallpaper that updates with c...
by Vnend
Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:01 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0977: "Map Projections"
Replies: 353
Views: 136191

Re: Map Projections

I have a globe. Yeah, me too. And globes for the Moon, Mars and a night sky one that shows the constellations when you turn on the light inside it. Of course, what I'd really like is a globe linked to google maps so it can update itself for night and day and other changes. Maybe link it into the we...
by Vnend
Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:50 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0977: "Map Projections"
Replies: 353
Views: 136191

Re: Map Projections

fajro wrote:What if your favorite is a reversed Gall-Peters?


You are upside down, and he still hates you.
by Vnend
Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:55 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0976: "Sail"
Replies: 61
Views: 16009

Re: 0976: "Sail"

For those of you who think in terms of classic animation history, this begs to be made into a zoetrope.

For everyone else, this is going to show up as an animated GIF.
by Vnend
Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:20 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0972: "November"
Replies: 131
Views: 55720

Re: 0972: "November"

Kidding? The whole strip only works as a follow up to the Peanuts comic. It wouldn't make SENSE without prior knowledge of the Peanut comic. Your argument proceeds from a false premise: I had no prior (conscious) knowledge of the Peanut strip, but the strip got a smile from me. Learning about the P...
by Vnend
Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:16 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0972: "November"
Replies: 131
Views: 55720

Re: 0972: "November"

It *is* possible to be aware of your tongue and not think about it all the time. "Sensitivity to Mental Disquiet by "Tongue Awareness" as a Measure of Proprioception." Sounds more like a study in The Journal of Irreproducible Results quoted by the Onion than something someone wou...
by Vnend
Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:02 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0972: "November"
Replies: 131
Views: 55720

Re: 0972: "November"

Would I call this an (a? English sucks.) homage to Schulz? Not really. Randall threw it in there, yeah, but he made no effort otherwise to make it a tribute to Schulz. Ignore the alt-text. Any notable connection with Peanuts? I don't see any. Written words are transcribed speech. The modern rule in...
by Vnend
Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:20 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0958: "Hotels"
Replies: 107
Views: 31382

Re: 0958: "Hotels"

It is still an example of the tragedy of the commons. But the 'commons' in this case is the hotel rating service on the travel site. He is valid, to a point. He is using it in a way that benefits him, and, as long as he is one of a small minority who do so it might benefit him. However, if his metho...
by Vnend
Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:50 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0957: "Development"
Replies: 87
Views: 23618

Re: 0957: "Development"

However, Psychology is an evidence-based field (these days, Freud has a lot to answer for however), which is looked down on by people who wrongly assume it's synonomous with counselling and the more dodgy psychotherapy variants, or "lesser than" psychiatry and other medical fields. Case i...
by Vnend
Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:30 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0957: "Development"
Replies: 87
Views: 23618

Re: 0957: "Development"

blowfishhootie, let me guess: you don't live on the Atlantic seaboard, do you? I've lived in Florida my whole life... Well, I blew that one then. Andrew accelerated quickly after the Bahamas, and wikipedia reports the evac. warning was issued at 11pm, with the storm hitting just after 4am. I liked ...
by Vnend
Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:20 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0957: "Development"
Replies: 87
Views: 23618

Re: 0957: "Development"

blowfishhootie, let me guess: you don't live on the Atlantic seaboard, do you?
by Vnend
Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:18 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0957: "Development"
Replies: 87
Views: 23618

Re: 0957: "Development"

"APA" is ambiguous between "American Philosophical Association" and "American Psychological Association". Because Piaget is considered both a psychologist and a philosopher, it makes deciding which is tougher. Considering the fact that "objects and their propertie...
by Vnend
Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:40 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0954: "Chin-Up Bar"
Replies: 285
Views: 61900

Re: 0954: "Chin-Up Bar"

To the complainers about how this isn't funny and that no-one should laugh about it, here are a few examples of similar actions done by the classhole, that were deemed to be funny in the past: Classhole fed rocks to kids in a park: http://xkcd.com/72/ He has lead people to roads where their tires r...
by Vnend
Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:21 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0954: "Chin-Up Bar"
Replies: 285
Views: 61900

Re: 0954: "Chin-Up Bar"

Would putting the bar across the bottom of the down escalator be 'better' or 'worse'?
by Vnend
Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:54 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0954: "Chin-Up Bar"
Replies: 285
Views: 61900

Re: 0954: "Chin-Up Bar"

Well, it is funny because it was not expected. It is funny *because* it is horrible (the classic "I'm laughing to keep from crying" sense). Tricksters are not nice people. They can be inspirational ("I don't have to put up with that?"), terrifying ("But that could kill someo...
by Vnend
Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:13 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0954: "Chin-Up Bar"
Replies: 285
Views: 61900

Re: 0954: "Chin-Up Bar"

Yep, Black Hat Guy doing what he does. I'm pretty sure that 'best' doesn't enter into it.

Is BHG evil, or simply a trickster?

I lean toward thinking he is a trickster.
by Vnend
Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:40 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0941: "Depth Perception"
Replies: 214
Views: 163353

Re: 0941: "Depth Perception"

Actually, truth be told you could do the same thing with just one user and a ground based telescope, with the 6 month-apart shots you would still get the 2AU interocular distance. That being said, as alluded to earlier, stars are REALLY freaking far away, so even 2AU might not do much. The planets ...
by Vnend
Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:28 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0941: "Depth Perception"
Replies: 214
Views: 163353

Re: 0941: "Depth Perception"

While neat, I don't think that what he has illustrated there would work the way the final image indicates. First, lets say that those are really low lying cumulus, and the figure is "only" two miles tall. Say my pupils are 3 inches apart and my height is 69 inches. That's 23 times my stere...
by Vnend
Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:54 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0928: "Mimic Octopus"
Replies: 166
Views: 47213

Re: 0928: Mimic Octopus

SirMustapha wrote:So Randall took a funny chart and made an unfunny version of it, and that's the joke?


I will not feed the energy creature.
I will not feed the energy creature.
I will not feed the energy creature.
I will not feed the energy creature.
I will not feed the energy creature.
...
by Vnend
Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:51 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0928: "Mimic Octopus"
Replies: 166
Views: 47213

Re: 0928: Mimic Octopus

Mr. Burke wrote:
Shiyiya wrote:Could someone pause in arguing about correct pluralization and tell me what's supposed to be funny about this strip?

I believe it's based on this handy UFO identifaction chart.


Which is in turn based on aircraft ID cards used by plane spotters during WWII.
by Vnend
Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:32 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0928: "Mimic Octopus"
Replies: 166
Views: 47213

Re: 0928: Mimic Octopus

From the Oxford English Dictionary ... USAGE The standard plural in English of octopus is octopuses . However, the word octopus comes from Greek and the Greek plural form octopodes is still occasionally used. The plural form octopi , formed according to rules for Latin plurals, is incorrect. So, oc...
by Vnend
Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:24 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0928: "Mimic Octopus"
Replies: 166
Views: 47213

Re: 0928: Mimic Octopus

phlip wrote:Less a reference to that, more the same joke as that... both that and the xkcd strip are making references to this sort of identification chart.


I love that that one has the basking shark and the guppy the same size.
by Vnend
Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:16 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0928: "Mimic Octopus"
Replies: 166
Views: 47213

Re: 0928: Mimic Octopus

jpk wrote:If there are two of them, would it be a hexapus?


No, that would be a 'six-foot'. You want "hexadecipus" if you want 'sixteen-foot'.
by Vnend
Mon May 30, 2011 2:44 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0695: "Spirit"
Replies: 337
Views: 218884

Re: 0695: "Spirit"

NASA Astronomy Photo of the Day for 2011 May 30

The last image Spirit successfully transmitted to Earth.
by Vnend
Wed May 25, 2011 2:38 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0695: "Spirit"
Replies: 337
Views: 218884

Re: 0695: "Spirit"

AncientMariner wrote:I had to write this. I was nearly crying when I finished.


That's fair, my eyes were getting a little watery when I finished it.
by Vnend
Wed May 25, 2011 2:33 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0695: "Spirit"
Replies: 337
Views: 218884

Re: 0695: "Spirit"

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2011/05/24/science/AP-US-SCI-Mars-Rovers.html?_r=1&smid=tw-nytimesscience&seid=auto Tomorrow (Wednesday, 25 May, 2011), JPL will send the last set of commands to Spirit, which has not responded in over a year. Equipment will continue to monitor for a response ...
by Vnend
Mon May 23, 2011 10:53 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0902: "Darmok and Jalad"
Replies: 125
Views: 35031

Re: 0902: "Darmok and Jalad"

To me, this was one of most irritating of all Star Trek episodes. I mean, isn't every language intrinsically built on referents and idioms? The whole premise that a universal translator exists but doesn't work because of this makes no sense at all. Bothers me to this day. This episode came up on io...
by Vnend
Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:19 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0886: "Craigslist Apartments"
Replies: 137
Views: 47729

Re: 0886: "Craigslist Apartments"

I thought that might've been a reference to a hypercube. But a hypercube would have 8 cubes for 'sides'. Even allocating one for a bathroom and one for kitchen/dining you still have at least 4 more. The "Free heat in short, intense bursts." reminds me of one of the current theories on tim...
by Vnend
Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:36 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0886: "Craigslist Apartments"
Replies: 137
Views: 47729

Re: 0886: "Craigslist Apartments"

"Viking landlord" one is a spot as one of the rowing slaves below deck. Except that vikings rowed their own ships; galley slaves were more a Greek/Roman think. Viking's did their own rowing; you crewed the ship and you got to share in the looting. Maybe if you captured someone and decided...
by Vnend
Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:14 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0884: "Rogers St."
Replies: 241
Views: 69426

Re: 0884: "Rogers St."

Depending on your definition of 'grew up on', the best choice seems to be 'Smokey Henderson'. Which is pretty unremarkable. My son's, however, would be hilarious, but I'm not sharing it. Sorry.
by Vnend
Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:17 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0877: "Beauty"
Replies: 91
Views: 20988

Re: 0877: "Beauty"

So true.

Though I am not sure that being covered with slime counts as 'cozy'.
by Vnend
Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:27 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0835: "Tree"
Replies: 126
Views: 29001

Re: 0835: "Tree"

The alt-text makes this one, for me.
by Vnend
Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:37 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0834: "Wikileaks"
Replies: 102
Views: 49601

Re: 0834: "Wikileaks"

Did anyone read the speech from Anonymous in the voice of the borg? Just me? OK. I'll be leaving now No, but it isn't a bad idea. I don't think I have a single identifiable voice for it here, just a generic one with no (to me) accent. Ditto for other voices in XKCD, with the only real differenc...
by Vnend
Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:27 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0834: "Wikileaks"
Replies: 102
Views: 49601

Re: 0834: "Wikileaks"

StClair wrote:Man kill other man, hit over head with stone tablet! Am "writing" harmful?
Elders: "You go too far!"


Dresden Codak reference for the win!

Go to advanced search