Search found 120 matches

by Asthanius
Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:19 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1608: "Hoverboard"
Replies: 140
Views: 57704

Re: 1608: "Hoverboard"

The "starship" takes forever to navigate, but it's worth it when you find Vader. Also, has anyone else gotten inside of the Washington Monument? There seems to be an opening on the right side near the top, that goes all the way down to the visible line of bricks. Not sure why it's there.
by Asthanius
Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:02 pm UTC
Forum: Language/Linguistics
Topic: Why do some words sound cool?
Replies: 9
Views: 5460

Why do some words sound cool?

What makes one word "cooler" than another? As an example, why do I think "genesis" sounds cooler than "origin"?
by Asthanius
Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:45 pm UTC
Forum: Fictional Science
Topic: Given a black hole isn't, what is?
Replies: 16
Views: 6143

Re: Given a black hole isn't, what is?

A deep enough hole happens to look both black and hole-like.
by Asthanius
Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:39 pm UTC
Forum: Language/Linguistics
Topic: Is there a word for this?
Replies: 10
Views: 5846

Re: Is there a word for this?

Red Hal wrote:Mudita? That's the best I can come up with. It is significant that the word schadenfreude was directly imported.

That definitely works.
by Asthanius
Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:19 pm UTC
Forum: Language/Linguistics
Topic: Is there a word for this?
Replies: 10
Views: 5846

Is there a word for this?

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this thread, but it seems appropriate. Anyway, I wanted to make a thread for people who have a certain phrase or idea in their head but don't know how to phrase it or if there's a word for it, hence the thread title. For example, if somebody needed a word ...
by Asthanius
Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:51 pm UTC
Forum: Fictional Science
Topic: "Quark Drive" Plausibility/Feasibility
Replies: 24
Views: 9004

Re: "Quark Drive" Plausibility/Feasibility

Nnelg wrote:(Or whatever analogous phase of strange matter there is.)

That's actually what I was referring to. I don't know if strange matter could be said to have a "gas" stage because it would react differently than gases we're familiar with.
by Asthanius
Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:24 pm UTC
Forum: Fictional Science
Topic: "Quark Drive" Plausibility/Feasibility
Replies: 24
Views: 9004

Re: "Quark Drive" Plausibility/Feasibility

Let me get this straight: You're proposing to shoot strangelets out into space with the very real possibility that they will come into contact with normal matter, at which point the strangelets will pretty much vaporize the matter, except there won't be any vapor.
by Asthanius
Wed May 29, 2013 3:16 pm UTC
Forum: Fictional Science
Topic: Me, Myself, and I
Replies: 55
Views: 15314

Re: Me, Myself, and I

A mind-state encoded on a giant slab of *rock* would be alive for this ethical purpose - if you can run it, it'll still be a conscious mind. I personally believe that if you encode a mind-state onto/into something, that "something" needs to be able to run that mind-state using only itself...
by Asthanius
Tue May 28, 2013 2:42 pm UTC
Forum: Fictional Science
Topic: Me, Myself, and I
Replies: 55
Views: 15314

Re: Me, Myself, and I

I think killing is ethically wrong because you're destroying a concious mind that: A) happens to inhabit a body similar to yours (human) and therefore sets off alarms in our minds because "humans need to survive, you just made a human not-survive, what the hell is wrong with you" B) happen...
by Asthanius
Tue May 28, 2013 2:22 pm UTC
Forum: Fictional Science
Topic: Me, Myself, and I
Replies: 55
Views: 15314

Re: Me, Myself, and I

This conversation has definitely gone somewhere I didn't expect, but I'd like to add something: What do you all personally understand "alive" to mean? "Alive" or "conscious"? "Alive" is a physical definition - roughly, an entity that is capable of autonomous ...
by Asthanius
Mon May 27, 2013 3:43 pm UTC
Forum: Fictional Science
Topic: Me, Myself, and I
Replies: 55
Views: 15314

Re: Me, Myself, and I

This conversation has definitely gone somewhere I didn't expect, but I'd like to add something: What do you all personally understand "alive" to mean?
by Asthanius
Thu May 23, 2013 2:47 pm UTC
Forum: Fictional Science
Topic: Me, Myself, and I
Replies: 55
Views: 15314

Re: Me, Myself, and I

Alright, so would any of you, like in The Prestige,
Spoiler:
use the machine to make a copy of yourself, but have one killed off?

Actually, I'm going to edit the first post to reflect the fact that there will be spoilers for The Prestige, so we don't have to keep using the spoiler tags.
by Asthanius
Thu May 23, 2013 2:36 pm UTC
Forum: Fictional Science
Topic: Me, Myself, and I
Replies: 55
Views: 15314

Re: Me, Myself, and I

They will remember it, but they won't be the same person. I'm not being frivolous; didn't you watch The Prestige? The twist at the end is that Wolverine's magic trick, created by Tesla/David Bowie, is a teleporter that makes a duplicate that appears out in the audience, on the balcony or somesu...
by Asthanius
Thu May 23, 2013 1:20 pm UTC
Forum: Fictional Science
Topic: Me, Myself, and I
Replies: 55
Views: 15314

Re: Me, Myself, and I

Going back to the Star Trek transporter thing, one of my concerns is whether or not the person who comes out of the transporter remembers entering it. If so, I would have to assume that they are the exact same person, even if it takes an entire day to get from one place to another.
by Asthanius
Wed May 22, 2013 7:13 pm UTC
Forum: Fictional Science
Topic: Me, Myself, and I
Replies: 55
Views: 15314

Re: Me, Myself, and I

I'm glad you specified that the mind-clone is you, because this brings up the very last question I have, but didn't put in the first post so I could get an "unpolluted" answer. First, a little scenario: This happens to you, and the scientists, before waking up either you (V1) or V2, kills ...
by Asthanius
Wed May 22, 2013 5:06 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Jewish parking exceptions blasted by Quebec Govt
Replies: 76
Views: 11466

Re: Jewish parking exceptions blasted by Quebec Govt

Hold on. Who exactly is inconvenienced here? Because it sure as hell isn't the workers who had "been taken off pothole-filling and other duties in order to cover up parking signs", and thus are doing their jobs and getting paid for doing their jobs because their jobs include covering up pa...
by Asthanius
Wed May 22, 2013 4:35 pm UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: Team challenge
Replies: 22
Views: 7792

Re: Team challenge

While difficult given the random aspect of the challenge, I find that the simplest solution is a square. In the mock-up below, each dot is a person. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . In this situation, everybody is an equal distance away from at least 2 people, and at most four people. (The reason the ...
by Asthanius
Wed May 22, 2013 4:30 pm UTC
Forum: Fictional Science
Topic: Me, Myself, and I
Replies: 55
Views: 15314

Me, Myself, and I

WARNING: THIS THREAD CONTAINS SPOILERS FOR THE MOVIE THE PRESTIGE I was reading Davidson's Swampman when I came up with a sort of tangent to the thought experiment. My own thought experiment is as follows: The year is [insert year sufficiently far into the future]. You are a perfectly healthy human...
by Asthanius
Wed May 22, 2013 2:02 pm UTC
Forum: Fictional Science
Topic: Zombie apocalypse versus Musca Domestica
Replies: 26
Views: 9991

Re: Zombie apocalypse versus Musca Domestica

While many animals could potentially attack a human for food, if they get hungry enough, I don't think there's any carnivorous mammal that eats rotting flesh. So I really doubt they'd be attacking zombies. Wolves and coyotes eat carrion when hungry, dogs are more or less wolves, ergo, hungry dogs w...
by Asthanius
Tue May 21, 2013 3:19 pm UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: Team challenge
Replies: 22
Views: 7792

Re: Team challenge

While difficult given the random aspect of the challenge, I find that the simplest solution is a square. In the mock-up below, each dot is a person. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . In this situation, everybody is an equal distance away from at least 2 people, and at most four people. (The reason the s...
by Asthanius
Tue May 21, 2013 3:02 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: What should I do now?
Replies: 9
Views: 6520

Re: What should I do now?

Wait, you're in Israel? Then something you could do is go around sites like Yad Vashem or even a mall, because most likely, there will be soldiers on tour before they actually go out into the fields. You can talk to them about what to expect based on what you'll be doing, ask what they did with all ...
by Asthanius
Fri May 17, 2013 1:43 pm UTC
Forum: Fictional Science
Topic: Abusing an Alcubierre drive
Replies: 6
Views: 4380

Re: Abusing an Alcubierre drive

I would think that in order to keep a drive in a single place in undistorted space, you would need two drives, each one counteracting the effects of the other.
by Asthanius
Wed May 15, 2013 9:02 pm UTC
Forum: Fictional Science
Topic: Zombie apocalypse versus Musca Domestica
Replies: 26
Views: 9991

Re: Zombie apocalypse versus Musca Domestica

When I listed goats, I was referring to the fact that zoos are things that exist. They're either in urban centers or just outside of them and are home to animals that would gladly prey on humans if they've been going without food from zookeepers. I'm sure they could escape given enough time.
by Asthanius
Tue May 14, 2013 4:03 pm UTC
Forum: Fictional Science
Topic: Invincible by science?
Replies: 34
Views: 9389

Re: Invincible by science?

Can you have cybernetic blood? I know you can have cybernetics in your blood, but can we make blood cybernetic? Or do we just go from "cybernetics in my blood" to "I have no blood at all".
by Asthanius
Tue May 14, 2013 4:00 pm UTC
Forum: Fictional Science
Topic: Zombie apocalypse versus Musca Domestica
Replies: 26
Views: 9991

Re: Zombie apocalypse versus Musca Domestica

When talking about zombie animals, we need to consider the possibility that something that zombifies humans won't necessarily zombify other animals. And it's not only about species that prey on humans. Think about a zombie running into a bear, wolf, moose, goat, dog that hasn't been fed since the ou...
by Asthanius
Tue May 14, 2013 2:04 pm UTC
Forum: Fictional Science
Topic: Zombie apocalypse versus Musca Domestica
Replies: 26
Views: 9991

Re: Zombie apocalypse versus Musca Domestica

I think it's reasonable to assume that large animals would be killing large quantities of zombies long before maggots do.
by Asthanius
Tue May 14, 2013 2:01 pm UTC
Forum: Fictional Science
Topic: "Zombie" Apocalypse
Replies: 61
Views: 24519

Re: "Zombie" Apocalypse

Xenomortis wrote:The important thing is that you cannot possibly feel bad when it comes to zombie genocide.

Woah, man. That's just not the kind of thing you say in public. You're sounding like a Life Supremacist right now.
by Asthanius
Mon May 13, 2013 2:27 pm UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: The truthteller and the politician
Replies: 65
Views: 24230

Re: The truthteller and the politician

zukenft wrote:
Asthanius wrote:If you killed the truthteller and the politician lied to you, he won't want to go down the road you're bringing him along


that doesn't work if the assassin on the wrong road is the politician's ally...

Who said anything about an assassin? Now you're just being silly.
by Asthanius
Fri May 10, 2013 4:48 pm UTC
Forum: Fictional Science
Topic: "Zombie" Apocalypse
Replies: 61
Views: 24519

Re: "Zombie" Apocalypse

All joking aside, though, WWZ isn't a very good reference for this kind of thing. Its logic goes off of the other book by Max Brooks, The Zombie Survival Guide. In this book, Brooks mentions that, like most zombies in media, zombies are infected corpses. However, if they're truly corpses, then they...
by Asthanius
Fri May 10, 2013 1:48 pm UTC
Forum: Fictional Science
Topic: "Zombie" Apocalypse
Replies: 61
Views: 24519

Re: "Zombie" Apocalypse

Can we all agree on one thing, though? The disease has to first appear in Madagascar, otherwise it'll never be a worldwide pandemic. All joking aside, though, WWZ isn't a very good reference for this kind of thing. Its logic goes off of the other book by Max Brooks, The Zombie Survival Guide. In thi...
by Asthanius
Tue May 07, 2013 4:43 pm UTC
Forum: Fictional Science
Topic: "Zombie" Apocalypse
Replies: 61
Views: 24519

Re: "Zombie" Apocalypse

If anything, the most likely way for a zombie apocalypse to happen is to follow the contagious disease route, but have it be airborn, waterborn, or carried by animals (like rats, or possibly a common pet) and transmittable to humans. It would need few to no symptoms (or symptoms similar to that of a...
by Asthanius
Tue May 07, 2013 2:05 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: The Worst Superpower
Replies: 142
Views: 29247

Re: The Worst Superpower

The ability to turn atoms in immediate contact with the skin into gold. Then you can't generate valuable amounts of gold without rolling naked in powdered sand and you still can't enjoy life. Actually, that wouldn't be too bad. The tongue is a muscle, so you could still taste things, and so long as...
by Asthanius
Mon May 06, 2013 4:46 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: The Flat Earth Society
Replies: 121
Views: 63878

Re: The Flat Earth Society

You're assuming they're serious. Some of them do appear serious, and those people are usually in positions like moderators. The worst part of this is that even if we somehow got everybody who believes in the theory on a plane and flew it around and through all of Antarctica, nothing would change. O...
by Asthanius
Mon May 06, 2013 3:27 pm UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: Natural light vs. "Artificial" light
Replies: 4
Views: 2124

Natural light vs. "Artificial" light

Why do things appear to be colored differently when in natural light (sunlight) versus "artificial" light (lightbulbs)? As an example, skin tone seems to look a bit different depending on whether somebody is under a lightbulb or outside.
by Asthanius
Mon May 06, 2013 2:49 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: The Flat Earth Society
Replies: 121
Views: 63878

Re: The Flat Earth Society

You're assuming they're serious. Some of them do appear serious, and those people are usually in positions like moderators. The worst part of this is that even if we somehow got everybody who believes in the theory on a plane and flew it around and through all of Antarctica, nothing would change. O...
by Asthanius
Mon May 06, 2013 2:43 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: The Worst Superpower
Replies: 142
Views: 29247

Re: The Worst Superpower

Invisibility.....to infrared door sensors This power would mean that you're invisible to all infared sensors. Do you have any idea how useful this would be for a thief? Security cameras use infared when it's dark, meaning that if you wore all black and were quiet, you'd be practically invisible. Se...
by Asthanius
Wed May 01, 2013 2:10 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: The Worst Superpower
Replies: 142
Views: 29247

Re: The Worst Superpower

This reminds me of Cassandra, who could see the future, but was cursed with having no one ever believe her. Rather horrible. No one believed anything she said or no one believed her when she made "predictions" of the future? Cause that seems like it has an easy workaround. I don't think i...
by Asthanius
Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:20 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: The Worst Superpower
Replies: 142
Views: 29247

Re: The Worst Superpower

CLD wrote:The ability to tell when a thread belongs in Forum Games, and not in General.

This counts as a forum game? Unless you were actually answering my question, in which case, I have nothing more to say and should stop typing.
by Asthanius
Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:09 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: The Worst Superpower
Replies: 142
Views: 29247

The Worst Superpower

Everybody knows that when you're asked what the best superpower is, you're supposed to say "the ability to do anything", and then try to avoid getting punched by your friends for giving such a cop-out answer. But what I want to know is what people think the worst superpower is. Given that ...
by Asthanius
Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:10 pm UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: Can light go on forever?
Replies: 71
Views: 16428

Re: Can light go on forever?

As far as I know, the light would end up travelling forever in the scenario you're describing. Because there is no medium for the light to transfer any energy to, it will continue on at "full power", or the amount of energy it had when it was first emitted. Now, because gravity reaches thr...

Go to advanced search