Search found 321 matches

by Sourire
Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:47 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Someone did something on the internet (Adria Richards)
Replies: 202
Views: 28440

Re: Gender-charged Twitter Drama (Adria Richards)

Complaining about somebody making an off-colour joke is a bit rich from somebody who posted this to twitter. There's a pretty clear difference in contexts. One, a large conference gathering, the other, social networking blather. I don't think she wants no off colour jokes ever, just none in profess...
by Sourire
Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:08 am UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: Entropy and mathematical truths
Replies: 24
Views: 5872

Re: Entropy and mathematical truths

As far as the idea that one creates information and one destroys information...I'm not sure that makes physical sense. In a purely physical example, let's consider forces and energies (as force is the derivative of energy with respect to distance). However, someone with a freshman level of physics ...
by Sourire
Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:20 am UTC
Forum: Mathematics
Topic: How did you calculate pi?
Replies: 29
Views: 8814

Re: How did you calculate pi?

The only (potential) downside I can see with this method is that it's hard to define the cosine function without having pi in the first place, so this may be (to some degree ) circular . If those weren't deliberate puns, then I give your subconscious an A+ for awesomeness. My subconscious thanks yo...
by Sourire
Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:22 am UTC
Forum: Mathematics
Topic: How did you calculate pi?
Replies: 29
Views: 8814

Re: How did you calculate pi?

Major bonus points for creativity! The only (potential) downside I can see with this method is that it's hard to define the cosine function without having pi in the first place, so this may be (to some degree) circular. This may not be immediately clear-but recall what would happen if you thought in...
by Sourire
Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:12 am UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: Entropy and mathematical truths
Replies: 24
Views: 5872

Re: Entropy and mathematical truths

Also, differentiation destroys information that is contained in constant terms. Hence differentiation is easy because all things tend to a state of less available information and more entropy anyway. Integration, being the opposite of differentiation, is a lot harder, then, because it goes against ...
by Sourire
Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:58 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Wife gives up daughter for adoption behind husband's back
Replies: 37
Views: 9366

Re: Wife gives up daughter for adoption behind husband's bac

I'm seriously disappointed in the PAP for attempting to appeal this. If they child were in the care of the father currently, would they REALLY try to make the case "but we have a better home for them?" As far as the idea that this has dragged out for a year and a half, and therefore the ch...
by Sourire
Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:47 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Most-Racial America
Replies: 78
Views: 16195

Re: Most-Racial America

Dear goodness folks. We won't know the hearts of the people who signed the petition. Whether or not their complaint represents their real issue or not gives you no evidence to their actual issue. (Even if they don't care about Benghazi, it could be her stance on something related to Souteast Asia). ...
by Sourire
Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:55 am UTC
Forum: What If?
Topic: What-If 0011: "Droppings"
Replies: 68
Views: 32217

Re: What-If 0011: Droppings

Surprised at his bit about unit conversions. Mostly because it's factually incorrect, and I tend to like him for being right on these things. :( "miles per gallon" is lazy notation we accept in speech. If you want to use it in math, you need to recognize it's "miles traveled per gallo...
by Sourire
Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:52 pm UTC
Forum: Mathematics
Topic: Trig: Geometry and Differential link?
Replies: 3
Views: 1113

Re: Trig: Geometry and Differential link?

There is a link: they are exactly the same thing. Do you remember the unit circle? That's one way to see how sin(x) as a function is the same as the SOH-CAH-TOA definition, just extended to values outside the interval (0, pi/2) and treated as an actual function. There are probably other ways, but t...
by Sourire
Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:49 pm UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: [questionnaire] (Ex-)Physics student(s) needed!
Replies: 4
Views: 2265

Re: [questionnaire] (Ex-)Physics student(s) needed!

I could use karmic brownie points considering I just implored the maths board for help. I'm just about to wrap up my bachelor's in physics. I'd like to know what you'll be using this for, but I don't think there's a situation to which I'd object, so I'll fill it out anyway. I have to interview someo...
by Sourire
Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:21 pm UTC
Forum: Mathematics
Topic: Trig: Geometry and Differential link?
Replies: 3
Views: 1113

Trig: Geometry and Differential link?

First, I apologize for the poor title. My actual thoughts are a bit long to describe in a line. Basically, I wanted to know if there's a link between the trig we learned in middle/high school (SOHCAHTOA) and the trig we learned in uni y''=-y \rightarrow y(x)=A*cos(x)+B*sin...
by Sourire
Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:21 am UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: Charge density distributions over a conductor surface
Replies: 7
Views: 3804

Re: Charge density distributions over a conductor surface

This is a fairly interesting problem, I think. However, it's also worth mention that I think your knowledge of EM is slightly greater than my own. :P First-a purist argument, applications are fun, but as a project I think intellectual merit is enough. Second, I'd be interested to see if this type of...
by Sourire
Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:55 am UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: Hydrophobicity looked at from a non-entropic point of view
Replies: 5
Views: 1154

Re: Hydrophobicity looked at from a non-entropic point of vi

Sooo... as far as I know, the universe doesn't give a shit about what entropy is, it's just something that happens because it ought to. It's ridiculously unlikely for all of the air in a room to be in one half of it, so it probably isn't. And if somehow it's made to be, it soon won't be. This makes...
by Sourire
Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:48 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Mistrial declared in US gay student killing case
Replies: 110
Views: 10627

Re: Mistrial declared in US gay student killing case

I still don't think that the mentioning of his behavior is primarily an appeal to prejudices, especially considering that it has been suggested by witnesses that King's behavior was a cry for attention, which is relevant to the case itself. On top of that, the sentimentalization of his clothing cho...
by Sourire
Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:37 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Mistrial declared in US gay student killing case
Replies: 110
Views: 10627

Re: Mistrial declared in US gay student killing case

Sourire: "projecting" might not be the best choice of words. I was just trying to point out that, as suggested earlier, Lucrece is using more heart than brain in this thread. It's understandable, but it impedes any progress. You seem to be implying that you're acting solely with your brai...
by Sourire
Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:55 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Mistrial declared in US gay student killing case
Replies: 110
Views: 10627

Re: Mistrial declared in US gay student killing case

I lurk way more often than I post, but this thread has inspired me to break that habit. Playing the blame game is stupid here. A picked on B picked on A is just recursive, and they each had their own means of doing so (targeting someone's sexuality, or targeting someone's sexuality). It's wrong on b...
by Sourire
Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:22 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: [SAFESPACE] LGBTIQQA Thread - Queer Support!
Replies: 8248
Views: 1497471

Re: [SAFESPACE] LGBTIQQA Thread - Queer Support!

Just had a freak out when I realized half the group involved in my group project in one of my classes weren't going to do anything, and it looked like I would have to take over for everyone. Now it just looks like I'll have to take over for everyone except one person. Also, there's a week left in c...
by Sourire
Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:42 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Bachmann and Others Sign Homophobic Pledge
Replies: 187
Views: 23653

Re: Bachmann and Others Sign Homophobic Pledge

Dauric wrote:I swear, reading this shit is like trying to look at non-Euclidean geometry. Space and time shift and twist in unnatural ways just before an Elder God leaps through it and eats your brains.

... Well crap, that would explain a lot...

This is amazing. +1 Internets
by Sourire
Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:32 pm UTC
Forum: Mathematics
Topic: Evaluating a Function Featuring Its Own Integral
Replies: 6
Views: 1416

Re: Evaluating a Function Featuring Its Own Integral

I was coaxed into a research paper for a scholarship about the effects of air resistance on low orbit satellites. I managed to work through the math easily until a hit a problem like a brick wall. When defining the amount of drag, I needed to define velocity. And velocity was defined by the amount ...
by Sourire
Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:55 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Scientist Uses Creationist Techniques to Prove Evolution
Replies: 42
Views: 5672

Re: Scientist Uses Creationist Techniques to Prove Evolution

While I get that the purpose of this thread seems to be having a jolly old time poking fun at creationists, I'd recommend you change the title. I was really excited to see the "proof" of evolution, and this just isn't one by my standards. Quotes because I'm using it in a formal logic way, ...
by Sourire
Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:13 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: We need more politicians like Mark Grisanti
Replies: 48
Views: 4468

Re: We need more politicians like Mark Grisanti

As far as I know, we have no statistics to indicate what portion of his constituents voted for him because of his anti-gay-marriage stance. One of the key issues with a representative democracy is having to prioritize the issues when deciding on a best-fit candidate. There are certainly a block of c...
by Sourire
Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:34 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: [SAFESPACE] LGBTIQQA Thread - Queer Support!
Replies: 8248
Views: 1497471

Re: [SAFESPACE] LGBTIQQA Thread - Queer Support!

(Yaaaaaay Josie :D ) some cool stuff: Last weekend I spent most of a day at a summer camp for gender variant children. (think ages 6-12) It was, well, surreal. I've never seen anything like it before. I was a bit agitated that someone felt the need to tell me that all the kids were anatomically mal...
by Sourire
Wed May 18, 2011 2:54 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Restore Faith in Humanity Thread
Replies: 2
Views: 1502

Re: Restore Faith in Humanity Thread

This story about makes me cry it's so beautiful. And I can't remember where I saw it first. But everyone *should* see it. This family restores my faith in humanity.
by Sourire
Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:08 am UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: [Homework] BVP Project Ideas
Replies: 2
Views: 717

Re: [Homework] BVP Project Ideas

jmorgan3 wrote:How about beam bending? It's probably different enough from the wave equation to satisfy your professor, but close enough that you'll know what to do.

That sounds really cool, honestly. It'll take a few mental backflips to understand it, but I can see this being a strong contender.
by Sourire
Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:41 am UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: [Homework] BVP Project Ideas
Replies: 2
Views: 717

[Homework] BVP Project Ideas

Howdy folks of XKCD! I'm a second-year student in university, and one of my professors today assigned us a project to find and model a physically meaningful boundary value problem. I'm hoping for pointers as to where to look for problems that fit into this class. The overwhelming majority of the cou...
by Sourire
Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:26 am UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: a CAPACITOR PROBLEM
Replies: 3
Views: 986

Re: a CAPACITOR PROBLEM

I really don't even know how to set the question up from the diagram and information provided.

You might want to scan the picture and upload it to a site like photobucket, and post the image here. Alternatively, you could draw it in paint, I'd think this type of sketch wouldn't be too hard.
by Sourire
Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:02 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: [SAFESPACE] LGBTIQQA Thread - Queer Support!
Replies: 8248
Views: 1497471

Re: [SAFESPACE] LGBTIQQ Thread - Queer Support!

That wouldn't alleviate the need for testing. Even if heterosexual sex couldn't transmit HIV, it'd be dangerous to allow people to donate blood without testing it based on their word alone. That's not how it works. I dislike the system as much as the next logical person. But they test all blood, an...
by Sourire
Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:07 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: [SAFESPACE] LGBTIQQA Thread - Queer Support!
Replies: 8248
Views: 1497471

Re: [SAFESPACE] LGBTIQQ Thread - Queer Support!

Nordic Einar wrote:*Hugs*, Sourire.

Nobody can be the reasonable educator all the time :/

Ego:
If I don't, who will be? I have a hard time accepting "It'll work out".
by Sourire
Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:31 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: [SAFESPACE] LGBTIQQA Thread - Queer Support!
Replies: 8248
Views: 1497471

Re: [SAFESPACE] LGBTIQQ Thread - Queer Support!

I'd really, really like a hug. I honestly feel like at this point I'm just spinning my wheels with people who either don't get it, or don't want to get it. I've come to celebrate the moments of clarity where I finally make a point after hours of argument, but I'm just getting tired of having to cons...
by Sourire
Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:19 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Radiation Chart
Replies: 79
Views: 29677

Re: Radiation Chart

You (Randall) say you want to clear up misconceptions, but then you say: "I’m not an expert in radiation and I’m sure I’ve got a lot of mistakes in here ..." Don't science and due diligence require that you run this by someone like a radiation oncologist and have them sign off on it befor...
by Sourire
Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:18 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: [SAFESPACE] LGBTIQQA Thread - Queer Support!
Replies: 8248
Views: 1497471

Re: [SAFESPACE] LGBTIQQ Thread - Queer Support!

Mumpy wrote:
Carnildo wrote:I call it "the LGBTOMGWTFBBQ thread".
Lesbian, bisexual, gay, transsexual,(or maybe Gender [What the fuck, Both]), Bedazzled, queer?

Two slight changes and I think this might be my favorite version of the alphabet soup yet.
by Sourire
Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:15 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: The Internet is nominated for Nobel Peace Prize
Replies: 53
Views: 4947

Re: The Internet is nominated for Nobel Peace Prize

The nobel peace prize is almost entirely political and has nothing to do with peace anymore (Al Gore? Really?). I would suspect politics come heavily into play for the nobel prize for literature as well. If I recall correctly, the Nobel committee acknowledged a problem wherein most of the literatur...
by Sourire
Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:11 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Women are no longer discriminated in science?
Replies: 54
Views: 5369

Re: Women are no longer discriminated in science?

Well the word choice is a really funny thing. Assuming women and men had equal hiring potential, equal grant potential, and all else aside, they might seem to be on a level playing field*. However, you don't start a career in science writing grants. You start in a society with a fairly strong bias. ...
by Sourire
Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:53 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Protestor's violent removal during Hillary's speech
Replies: 75
Views: 8396

Re: Protestor's violent removal during Hillary's speech

I'd just like to take this time to point out that if you did this in say, a Broadway musical in "protest" you'd be escorted out too. Why? Because it's disruptive and people are there to see the person(s) speaking, not to pay attention to other members of the audience. How many would defend...
by Sourire
Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:49 pm UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: Alchemical Fire
Replies: 16
Views: 2681

Re: Alchemical Fire

The only compound listed that we can make any sense of is tin. I'm not sure what a 'spirit of tin' is, but maybe the trick is rapid oxidation of whatever's in ye olde phiale results in it's combustion? It might be a nod to phlogiston theory? I think that was still alive in certain circles in the 16...
by Sourire
Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:05 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: [SAFESPACE] LGBTIQQA Thread - Queer Support!
Replies: 8248
Views: 1497471

Re: [SAFESPACE] LGBTIQQ Thread - Queer Support!

Because it's been far too long since I posted something omghappy here: Today my school hosted a "Gay? Fine by me" event. We sold shirts with the phrase for the past few weeks, and today several hundred students and faculty wore them for a huge group photo after the President delivered a sp...
by Sourire
Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:45 am UTC
Forum: The Help Desk
Topic: [RESOLVED] Internal Error in DirectX Install
Replies: 6
Views: 2794

Re: Internal Error in DirectX Install

Appdata is a hidden folder, you can either turn on showing hidden folders and system folders in (folder options) in control panel Or go start -> all programs -> accessories -> run then type out the full folder path and hit ok Also for user account control goto your control panel and in the search b...
by Sourire
Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:47 pm UTC
Forum: The Help Desk
Topic: [RESOLVED] Internal Error in DirectX Install
Replies: 6
Views: 2794

Re: Internal Error in DirectX Install

Now that I look at it, it looks like your username is the single letter "A" it may be some strange problem with that? I dont think I have ever seen anyone with a single letter user name in windows (I didnt know if it was even possible, enough though its probably not the cause of your issu...
by Sourire
Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:09 pm UTC
Forum: The Help Desk
Topic: [RESOLVED] Internal Error in DirectX Install
Replies: 6
Views: 2794

Re: Internal Error in DirectX Install

yewbie wrote:Run it as administrator
edit: right click on program icon run as administrator that is.

I just tried this*, and got the same error, and same message in the error log file.

*Went to the downloads folder, right clicked the web setup icon, ran as administrator.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?
by Sourire
Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:47 am UTC
Forum: The Help Desk
Topic: [RESOLVED] Internal Error in DirectX Install
Replies: 6
Views: 2794

[RESOLVED] Internal Error in DirectX Install

I'm attempting to install DirectX to play in the Rift beta. The game client offers an ability to update DirectX, but I get an "internal error". Error Log: [02/16/11 00:37:52] module: DXWSetup(Jun 2 2010), file: utils.cpp, line: 1116, function: CabCallback Error: (5) - Acces...

Go to advanced search