Search found 42 matches

by mszegedy
Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:35 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1314: "Photos"
Replies: 194
Views: 36412

Re: 1314: "Photos"

Yes, Mr. Munroe! Demolish that strawman! Feel its flesh tear in your hands! Unleash your inner animal! I like his argument except I find it empirically false. I find that I can't both pay attention to something and take a picture of it at the same time. i.e., if I'm confronted with a great view, I c...
by mszegedy
Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:13 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1240: "Quantum Mechanics"
Replies: 201
Views: 45592

Re: 1240: "Quantum Mechanics"

The wavefunction doesn't collapse/decohere until you personally observe it/entangle your mind with it. Which happens at the speed of light spreading out from the original decohering interaction. Your point? It's still the case that, to you, it looks like decoherence, not wavefunction collapse, unti...
by mszegedy
Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:06 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1240: "Quantum Mechanics"
Replies: 201
Views: 45592

Re: 1240: "Quantum Mechanics"

See, this would be less prevalent if many-worlds was the dominant interpretation. Then we wouldn't have to worry about who is and isn't an observer because "observer" is no longer anything that has to do with quantum mechanics. Although, then people would latch onto the "every possibl...
by mszegedy
Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:49 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0997: "Wait Wait"
Replies: 115
Views: 33006

Re: 0997: "Wait Wait"

don't worry, I clicked it and I'm pretty much none the wiser. Me too, it wasn't particularly illuminating for someone this side of the pond. It's like someone from North America trying to pick up the rules of Mornington Crescent by listening to one round of the game. Well, are you talking about sta...
by mszegedy
Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:11 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0997: "Wait Wait"
Replies: 115
Views: 33006

Re: 0997: "Wait Wait"

I can't think of an episode that wasn't about motor vehicles. Yeah, it's about cars. But they have all these rigged races, a right-wing political agenda. And to cap it all, they pretended an electric car ran out of power when in reality they drove it round and round until it did. Let's see: they pr...
by mszegedy
Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:22 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0996: Making Things Difficult
Replies: 104
Views: 36482

Re: 0996: Making Things Difficult

Is that just a plastic bead necklace? Mardi Gras beads, yes. Admittedly, a necklace was not the first thing that came to mind. I think my imagination is a lot dirtier than I suspect... It's a breast exam, not a colonoscopy. Are you sure that you're thinking of the same thing? The thing YOU'RE think...
by mszegedy
Mon May 09, 2011 6:01 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0896: "ZOmbeis"
Replies: 125
Views: 32659

Re: 0896: Marie Curie

Not sure how I feel about this comic. "Radium kills you" is definitely not a punchline, but it's not like there's no merit in the comic. But I do know that it's little mor than a thinly veiled, short rant on the part of Randall with a poor excuse for a joke. But, you know. He had to get it...
by mszegedy
Mon May 02, 2011 5:39 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0893: "65 Years"
Replies: 226
Views: 90100

Re: 0893: "65 Years"

GOOMH Randall, I wrote a paper on the moon in 2nd grade!!!1!1!!!

This comic ought to shut the haters up; it shows the real intellectual content and depth of Randall Munroe.
by mszegedy
Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:05 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Mossad Strikes again! this time with Sharks!
Replies: 34
Views: 5438

Re: Mossad Strikes again! this time with Sharks!

I got a splinter today.

No doubt, Mossad had deliberately placed it there.
by mszegedy
Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:20 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0754: "Dependencies"
Replies: 76
Views: 25542

Re: "Dependencies" discussion(#754)

It was a typo.

Also: Too many acronyms/abbreviations!
by mszegedy
Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:09 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0753: "Southern Half"
Replies: 193
Views: 59218

Re: "Southern Half" discussion (#753)

So… this is Randall's Random Thought Of The Day?

Note: I capitalized "The" because it sounds more Capital-y that way.

Also:

a.sub wrote:Image
wait ... i dont get the joke?


Win.
by mszegedy
Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:06 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0751: "Swimsuit Issue"
Replies: 119
Views: 30713

Re: "Swimsuit Issue" Discussion

Oh, and this reminds me of this Fail from Failblog: http://failblog.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/129116508692425957.jpg Apparently it was a college presentation, and they had to navigate to some website which required the disabling of a popup blocker to download something. They forgot to reenable it.
by mszegedy
Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:38 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0751: "Swimsuit Issue"
Replies: 119
Views: 30713

Re: "Swimsuit Issue" Discussion

I dunno. I mostly only get credit card scams and the occasional find-a-mate website in my popups.
by mszegedy
Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:32 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0329: "Turing Test"
Replies: 120
Views: 65640

Re: "Turing Test" Discussion

* Z signed on * A signed on A: hello Z: Hello? A: wat r u Z: Is this some kind of joke? A: !help Z: Yes I want help Z: unless is this some kind of Japanese game show A: r u jpnese? Z: No Z: Who are you? A: Jason Z: What's this about? A: hahah A: ok so you're imprisoned right Z: Yes Z: It...
by mszegedy
Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:51 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0750: "Book Burning"
Replies: 121
Views: 27686

Re: "Book Burning" discussion

I would have burned the Kindle even if it didn't have the book on it…

I can't believe I just wrote that.
by mszegedy
Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:48 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0385: "How It Works"
Replies: 830
Views: 151183

Re: "How It Works" Discussion

For example, he proposes that the reason men dominate politics, business, etc... is, among other things, because men tend to take more risks than women. Riiiiiiiiiiiiight. Because it's TOTALLY not because women weren't allowed to participate in those things until recently BECAUSE of the men on top....
by mszegedy
Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:21 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0749: "Study"
Replies: 79
Views: 30324

Re: "Study" discussion

This could be either a scientific study or a kidney-harvesting scam. Or both. We don't know. And that's the best part. Besides the fact that this was probably done by the Black Hat Guy. I'd Photoshop him into this, but I'm writing this on an iPhone in bed. At 12:35 AM. I'll do it tomorrow.
by mszegedy
Sat May 29, 2010 3:26 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0746: "Birth"
Replies: 68
Views: 24591

Re: "Birth" Discussion

A) Cops usually carry with a round in the chamber. (Especially with glocks, with a Sig or somesuch they'd probably carry with a round in the chamber, but decocked). Some do, some don't. Since you are right on about point B), I'm going to suggest that any officer worth a damn does NOT have one chamb...
by mszegedy
Fri May 28, 2010 11:45 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0746: "Birth"
Replies: 68
Views: 24591

Re: "Birth" Discussion

It would be interesting to know how Randall even thought of this comic. I mean, who goes around associating birth and stick ups? Is there a hidden pun? I think this was about Randall's thought process: Haha, yesterday's pun was pretty good. Maybe I should do another one. But about what? [beat] I kno...
by mszegedy
Wed May 26, 2010 10:05 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0745: "Dyslexics"
Replies: 143
Views: 48777

Re: "Dyslexics" Discussion

I think this was done in the six minutes it took to upload the comic. I mean, I don't even get the joke. What are they supposed to be untying that makes this joke funny? Their shoes? Their bras? Oh yeah, and way to offend another minority group, Randall. How is this offensive? I'm dyslexic and I fi...
by mszegedy
Wed May 26, 2010 4:32 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0745: "Dyslexics"
Replies: 143
Views: 48777

Re: "Dyslexics" Discussion

I think this was done in the six minutes it took to upload the comic. I mean, I don't even get the joke. What are they supposed to be untying that makes this joke funny? Their shoes? Their bras? Oh yeah, and way to offend another minority group, Randall. How is this offensive? I'm dyslexic and I fi...
by mszegedy
Wed May 26, 2010 4:12 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0745: "Dyslexics"
Replies: 143
Views: 48777

Re: "Dyslexics" Discussion

I think this was done in the six minutes it took to upload the comic. I mean, I don't even get the joke. What are they supposed to be untying that makes this joke funny? Their shoes? Their bras?

Oh yeah, and way to offend another minority group, Randall.
by mszegedy
Mon May 24, 2010 3:54 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0744: "Walkthrough"
Replies: 68
Views: 21933

Re: "Walkthrough discussion"

Heh heh. First I thought that it was kind of a lame comic, but then I realized the punchline was actually funny. Alt-text, anyone? I'm reading this on an iPhone.
by mszegedy
Fri May 21, 2010 7:46 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0743: "Infrastructures"
Replies: 269
Views: 63601

Re: "Infrastructures" discussion

There has to be a better way to introduce the problem than receiving an essay in .doc format. Yeah, .docx (god I hate that format!) Side note, shouldn't the alt-text be joindiaspora.com (not .net)? I like .docx. It takes up way less space than .doc. I don't really care about open source; my interpr...
by mszegedy
Wed May 19, 2010 3:55 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0742: "Campfire"
Replies: 59
Views: 21499

Re: "Campfire" Discussion

He comic didn't make me laugh much, but the title text did indeed make for a horrifying story that seems hilarious at this angle.
by mszegedy
Mon May 17, 2010 11:34 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0741: "Blogging"
Replies: 89
Views: 25887

Re: "Blogging" Discussion

LockeZ wrote:This comic is brilliant because it is so subtle. Randall is a genius, and you are all uncultured fools for not getting the reference.


Who thinks this guy is being sarcastic?

*raises hand*
by mszegedy
Fri May 14, 2010 4:06 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0740: "The Tell-Tale Beat"
Replies: 115
Views: 33229

Re: "The Tell-Tale Beat" Discussion

Raptor Jesus wrote:Gotta love Poe.


Same. I'm not good at pop culture, but I could recognize a Poe reference ANYWHERE. I feel so proud for getting the joke.
by mszegedy
Wed May 12, 2010 12:17 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0739: "Malamanteau"
Replies: 165
Views: 43201

Re: "Malamanteau" discussion

Regarding the alt-text: this is why i me and my friend would play wikipedia races. What you do is select a topic, say... The history of the american flag. you both go to the homepage, press the random button and press navigate through links to get to the american flag article. I got the idea from: ...
by mszegedy
Mon May 03, 2010 4:11 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0735: "Floor"
Replies: 87
Views: 20502

Re: "Floor" Discussion

I thought only I did this when I was young…

We're all goddamn blueprints of the same person.
by mszegedy
Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:17 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0734: "Outbreak"
Replies: 126
Views: 28291

Re: "Outbreak" Discussion

Someone should actually make a movie starting like this.
by mszegedy
Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:10 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0731: "Desert Island"
Replies: 119
Views: 29275

Re: "Desert Island" Discussion

TomRobbins wrote:Airplane crash, old sunken boat, submarine, and is that black smoke?.. is this a shout out to LOST?


Nah, I think it's mostly a coincidence. Those are a few of the first things that come to mind when you think of "stuff underwater" once you get to nonliving objects.
by mszegedy
Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:21 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0724: "Hell"
Replies: 184
Views: 74446

Re: "Hell" Discussion

The "Star just out of reach" isn't really hell for Mario. I think hell would be a pit, near the end of a long, brutal level, that is just a tiny bit too far to jump. It doesn't make for the punchiest alt-text joke, but it would be maddeningly hilarious in practice--battling all that way t...
by mszegedy
Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:12 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0723: "Seismic Waves"
Replies: 94
Views: 27152

Re: "Seismic Waves" Discussion

cjmcjmcjmcjm wrote:It's not so much funny as accurate


Accurate? How is this accurate? The Internet is everywhere! Mr. Munroe should have replaced "Tweets" with "Texts"; it would have made more sense that way.
by mszegedy
Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:47 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Let the cat speak!
Replies: 89
Views: 13880

Re: Let the cat speak!

5 .kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkm jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjv;,.vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv9m gf.jkn /k7/

Plus a search for jsMath. Oh, and my dog ruined my beautiful LCD (I have AppleCare, though)
by mszegedy
Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:42 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0722: "Computer Problems"
Replies: 104
Views: 33829

Re: "Computer Problems" Discussion

the situation for your average windows user :D : "You know this metal rectangle full of little lights running windows?" "Yeah." "I spend most of my life pressing buttons to make the pattern of lights change however it feels like changing" "Sounds good." "...
by mszegedy
Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:05 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0719: "Brain Worms"
Replies: 140
Views: 28635

Re: "Brain Worms" Discussion

Never had any of these dreams. And I would have been first had I not needed to log in. But such petty foolishness is disregarded here on XKCD… right?
by mszegedy
Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:19 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0718: "The Flake Equation"
Replies: 102
Views: 27379

Re: "The Flake Equation" Discussion

Yup. This was actually one of his longer comics (and several trillion times better than the last one). But didn't he DO this already? I know the exact answer to that question. And I think it's cheap to mílk a joke twice. Although this is funnier than its predecessor (all made-up variables versus one...
by mszegedy
Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:14 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0717: "Furtive"
Replies: 108
Views: 30048

Re: "Furtive" Discussion

OrangeAipom wrote:
miles wrote:go go gadget decaying comic

My thoughts exactly. Or maybe he was trying to start a meme? And a relatively highly-detailed coat and hat don't match a guy with no face.
by mszegedy
Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:05 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0709: "I Am"
Replies: 152
Views: 46321

Re: "I Am" Discussion

I find this comic offensive as it implies that R2D2 is God's counterpart, when all True Believers know that he is God. I just find this offensive in the conventional way. This is strange, because I did not find that one about lisp or "God's Lament" offensive. Really? I'm curious as to why...
by mszegedy
Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:17 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0709: "I Am"
Replies: 152
Views: 46321

Re: "I Am" Discussion

Drooling Iguana wrote:I find this comic offensive as it implies that R2D2 is God's counterpart, when all True Believers know that he is God.


I just find this offensive in the conventional way. This is strange, because I did not find that one about lisp or "God's Lament" offensive.

Go to advanced search