Search found 98 matches

by Turing Machine
Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:43 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1539: "Planning"
Replies: 56
Views: 13009

Re: 1539: "Planning"

How does she even switch the subject from giving away control to "big-picture planning"? For all we know, google and facebook aren't even after world domination. The Americans and other folks who built the nuclear weapons have never admitted that world domination was their goal. Their exc...
by Turing Machine
Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:23 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1534: "Beer"
Replies: 249
Views: 62568

Re: 1534: "Beer"

Derpetologist wrote:It kind of bothers me that there are some people who legitimately can't understand how someone else might enjoy something that they don't.


Randall in a nutshell.
by Turing Machine
Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:37 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1392: "Dominant Players"
Replies: 187
Views: 40062

Re: 1392: "Dominant Players"

To put it mildly, the cultural explanations of male dominance in chess are not convincing.

http://en.chessbase.com/post/explaining ... e-in-chess

Nurture is a lousy, Ockham's-razor-defying explanation of phenomena. Don't be dumb.
by Turing Machine
Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:08 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1379: "4.5 Degrees"
Replies: 879
Views: 151892

Re: 1379: "4.5 Degrees"

Hide that decline!
by Turing Machine
Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:00 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1274: Open Letter
Replies: 162
Views: 40451

Re: 1274: Open Letter

What's embarrassing? That the government's being "shut down" (is it?) doesn't actually affect anything at all, so, perhaps, geez, the libertarians are right? We don't need this?

Course not, right...
by Turing Machine
Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:47 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1263: "Reassuring"
Replies: 152
Views: 31964

Re: 1263: "Reassuring"

Psst: computers still can't play chess.
by Turing Machine
Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:19 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1252:"Increased Risk"
Replies: 45
Views: 11849

Re: 1252:"Increased Risk"

Newspaper headlines that scream "eating <random healthy food> triples risk of <rare dread disease>" really really annoy me. It scares people unnecessarily. Well, if they didn't, people might eat it and stop eating the profitable junk-food, and that would cause an economic and a longevity ...
by Turing Machine
Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:35 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1252:"Increased Risk"
Replies: 45
Views: 11849

Re: 1252:"Increased Risk"

Sorites Paradox, and you guys missed it.
by Turing Machine
Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:13 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1230: "Polar/Cartesian"
Replies: 36
Views: 16712

Re: 1230: "Polar/Cartesian"

I'm a little surprised the alt-text went with ants instead of red spiders. I think it's an homage to some fella's explanation of statistics failure in economics. He wrote, more or less, that if you let loose a horde of ants on a page of stock reports, and pick the ant which landed on a winning stoc...
by Turing Machine
Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:05 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1153: "Proof"
Replies: 64
Views: 18708

Re: 1153: "Proof"

To save time the judge should have told the lawyer to go to a point twice the distance as the judge's bench. When the lawyer reaches the halfway point, he's at the judge's bench! But before he can reach that halfway point he first needs to go a quarter of the way... I never understood why zeno's pa...
by Turing Machine
Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:10 am UTC
Forum: What If?
Topic: What-If 0002: "SAT Guessing"
Replies: 62
Views: 20538

Re: What-If 0002: SAT Guessing

I think it's hilarious someone thinks the SAT can be gamed by memorization.

People with low IQs tend to hate things that correlate strongly with IQ. Damn you, g-factor! :shakes fist:
by Turing Machine
Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:59 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0435: "Purity"
Replies: 649
Views: 196476

Re: 0435: "Purity"

RhoastNappa wrote: aren't all mathematical symbols contrived and in reality mean absolutely nothing?


No, Bertrand. This was demonstrated a while ago.
by Turing Machine
Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:06 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1033: "Formal Logic"
Replies: 132
Views: 40499

Re: 1033: "Formal Logic"

Imperatives don't have truth values. Deontic logic is not a logic of imperatives. Its modal operators do not say "do the right thing" but "it is mandatory to do the right thing" or "it is permissible to do the right thing." Those two statements can have truth values; i...
by Turing Machine
Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:42 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1033: "Formal Logic"
Replies: 132
Views: 40499

Re: 1033: "Formal Logic"

Re: the duration of honking: First, as I said, imperatives don't have truth values. If you want to restate this as a simple declaration, hey, that works! Second, tense logic exists! You can add tense operators to your logic to say things like "at all future times and at all past times, a person...
by Turing Machine
Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:39 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1033: "Formal Logic"
Replies: 132
Views: 40499

Re: 1033: "Formal Logic"

There actually are formal imperative (and deontic, which may or may not be the same thing) logics. And present-tense verbs are ambiguous as to whether they mean occasional or continuous action; if we know that Bob swims, do we know that he always swims, non-stop; or just that he sometimes swims, no...
by Turing Machine
Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:09 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1033: "Formal Logic"
Replies: 132
Views: 40499

Re: 1033: "Formal Logic"

pensive bosom wrote:Putting an imperative on the left side of a biconditional!? Is there actually a formal logic for that? I never got past Intro.


No, there is not. It's just a joke.
by Turing Machine
Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:09 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1005: "SOPA"
Replies: 128
Views: 66445

Re: 1005: "SOPA"

Quicksilver wrote:I came here today in case Randall had something planned. Very creative.


doing what every single other site has done

lolcreative
by Turing Machine
Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:56 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0435: "Purity"
Replies: 649
Views: 196476

Re: 0435: "Purity"

I take it you haven't graduated yet.
by Turing Machine
Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:06 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0990: “Plastic Bags”
Replies: 183
Views: 39674

Re: 0990: "Plastic Bags"

Without trying to sound obvious, plastic bags are reusable bags. They also fold up pretty small, for convenience. Sad to say this, but in the US most aren't because the stores buy the cheapest, thinnest, most useless bags that don't hold for long. They really should start using better plastic bags ...
by Turing Machine
Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:02 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0990: “Plastic Bags”
Replies: 183
Views: 39674

Re: 0990: "Plastic Bags"

jpk wrote:Extreme environmentalist liberals understand economics and TAANSTAAFL?


Extreme environmentalists understanding economics? That'd be a first, ever.
by Turing Machine
Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:26 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0982: "Set Theory"
Replies: 55
Views: 15033

Re: 0982: "Set Theory"

itaibn wrote:<flamewar>
The problem is that you're implicitly assuming the axiom of excluded middle...


Yes, the logic underlying mathematical proofs is typically classical.
by Turing Machine
Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:27 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0978: "Citogenesis"
Replies: 179
Views: 61412

Re: 0978: "Citogenesis"

I hope it's not Pinker, although Steve Sailer's criticism of that latest book worries me.

Gladwell is not a science writer, so.
by Turing Machine
Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:38 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0971: "Alternative Literature"
Replies: 180
Views: 38455

Re: 0971: "Alternative Literature"

Who on earth trusts CVS?! Is CVS your dad, or your pastor, or something?

I thought it was just a retail store.
by Turing Machine
Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:02 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0970: "The Important Field"
Replies: 136
Views: 41595

Re: 0970: "The Important Field"

It could still be funny even if there was a logical explanation. I think in the case of gun sales, it's not all that absurd - they're unrelated laws for unrelated situations, so it's probably too much to ask for internal consistency on that, and a lot of people in the US are more touchy about their...
by Turing Machine
Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:47 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0970: "The Important Field"
Replies: 136
Views: 41595

Re: 970: The Important Field

If it was meant to be cheque, then the alt text is hilarious. "Check" is the American spelling. "Check" is basically the phonetic spelling. Doesn't take a genius to see that the "American" spelling is the spelling you get if you ask someone who doesn't know how to spel...
by Turing Machine
Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:12 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0964: "Dorm Poster"
Replies: 155
Views: 42986

Re: 0964: "Dorm Poster"

You can have your pseud webcomic.
by Turing Machine
Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:53 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0964: "Dorm Poster"
Replies: 155
Views: 42986

Re: 0964: "Dorm Poster"

DSotM is a concept album. The songs are very much part of a coherent whole. It is bizarre to see people waving around their ignorance as if it's something to be proud of. "Dark Side of the Moon, eh? What an ugly album cover. And who are these guys, anyway?" Look we'll leave you in peace wi...
by Turing Machine
Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:14 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0964: "Dorm Poster"
Replies: 155
Views: 42986

Re: 0964: "Dorm Poster"

DSotM is the third best selling album of all time.
by Turing Machine
Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:25 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0964: "Dorm Poster"
Replies: 155
Views: 42986

Re: 0964: "Dorm Poster"

I'll just be here enjoying the awesome musical virtuosity of Pink Floyd.

You go do whatever you want to with refraction, though, that's cool too

I'll leave a tie on the doorknob for when you get back to our room, brah
by Turing Machine
Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:05 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0953: "1 to 10"
Replies: 138
Views: 36662

Re: 0953: "1 to 10"

A 70% doesn't mean that you're better than 70% of the class. It means you got 70% of the answers correct. That's not coddling; that's hard statistics. If you know less than 60% of the material, of course you shouldn't be able to pass. That's why such grades are considered failing. As cream wobbly s...
by Turing Machine
Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:51 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0963: "X11"
Replies: 103
Views: 28850

Re: 0963: "X11"

In regards to the Constitution, ours seems to be working pretty well as it is... other than the couple thousand pages* of interpretation that has built up over the centuries which you'll need to read to actually know what your laconic constitution actually means at present. *Constitutional Law, Cas...
by Turing Machine
Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:29 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0948 - "AI"
Replies: 137
Views: 32015

Re: 0948 - "AI"

Computers can only work from a script. Krabbe gives examples of absurdly bad things computers do that a human wouldn't do; a human above a certain minimum threshold would recognize that, whatever his prior experience says, such a move is completely idiotic. Computers have no "my programming is ...
by Turing Machine
Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:58 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0435: "Purity"
Replies: 649
Views: 196476

Re: 0435: "Purity"

Regginyag wrote:Mathematics is just applied sociology


Nope.avi
by Turing Machine
Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:55 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0948 - "AI"
Replies: 137
Views: 32015

Re: 0948 - "AI"

Computers can't play chess. Why would you say that when they can and do? http://timkr.home.xs4all.nl/chess2/honor.htm It sounds like those are mostly different issues with different implementations. That's not enough to say "computers can't play chess". Otherwise, to be fair, we'd have to...
by Turing Machine
Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:29 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0956: "Sharing"
Replies: 82
Views: 26255

Re: 0956: "Sharing"

What does concern for FAIR anything have to do with current copyright laws? "Fair" is a code-word for "my demands are totally reasonable and anyone who disagrees is a grasping ingrate who kicks puppies". This implied meaning is independent of political orientation: union thugs a...
by Turing Machine
Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:21 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0948 - "AI"
Replies: 137
Views: 32015

Re: 0948 - "AI"

Jamaican Castle wrote:
Invisiblemoose wrote:Computers have not mastered chess.


Neither have humans, but they can still play it.


Computers don't play chess. They read a script. You're welcome for this basic lesson in AI.
by Turing Machine
Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:19 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0948 - "AI"
Replies: 137
Views: 32015

Re: 0948 - "AI"

webgrunt wrote:
Turing Machine wrote:Computers can't play chess.


Why would you say that when they can and do?


http://timkr.home.xs4all.nl/chess2/honor.htm
by Turing Machine
Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:17 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0948 - "AI"
Replies: 137
Views: 32015

Re: 0948 - "AI"

Computers can't play chess.
by Turing Machine
Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:43 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0946: “Family Decals”
Replies: 195
Views: 86583

Re: 0946: “Family Decals”

*Before anyone tries to accuse me of being religious, I'm very pro-Darwin, existential, and a skeptical agnostic. My issue is with the motivation behind the Darwin fish (and the Flying Spaghetti Monster), not the intrinsic ideas. I also had a problem with the Jesus Fish eating the Darwin Fish, as t...
by Turing Machine
Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:41 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0946: “Family Decals”
Replies: 195
Views: 86583

Re: 0946: “Family Decals”

If you look very closely, you can see Darwin, biding his time, with a little smirk on his face.

But no, enjoy the money. It's great stuff.

Go to advanced search