Search found 135 matches

by Coffee Stain
Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:50 am UTC
Forum: Gaming
Topic: Games you have programmed
Replies: 93
Views: 39264

Re: Games you have programmed

Year and a half of my life; totally worth it. Apparently the XKCD crowd isn't much for the Haloz, there isn't even a thread for it, but you guys are still my home. The milestone is the finalization of the actual game that will be burned into millions of discs by our manufacturer. I hope someone here...
by Coffee Stain
Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:49 am UTC
Forum: Gaming
Topic: Games you have programmed
Replies: 93
Views: 39264

Re: Games you have programmed

Officially, as of today, Halo 4.
by Coffee Stain
Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:00 am UTC
Forum: Computer Science
Topic: physics engine tools help.
Replies: 5
Views: 3765

Re: physics engine tools help.

If you actually attempt to construct a Voronoi diagram in 3D for a general triangle mesh (especially one that's artist constructed) you will lose all of your hair before you've considered all the edge cases and floating point precision problems to have a meaningful result that's in any way better th...
by Coffee Stain
Fri May 25, 2012 4:13 am UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: The effect of religion upon morality
Replies: 124
Views: 20514

Re: The effect of religion upon morality

I would expect this is assumed to be implied. Do you mean implied to be assumed? If you wish to study a demographic's motivations, you will do poorly to imagine the sort of motivation you would have if you were them, in some impossible sense. You could ask them, but but unlikely to discover anythin...
by Coffee Stain
Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:19 am UTC
Forum: Coding
Topic: Simple Iterator Adaptor for Upcast (C++)
Replies: 2
Views: 1696

Simple Iterator Adaptor for Upcast (C++)

Let's say I have a base class with two derived classes: struct Base { }; struct DerivedA : public Base { std::vector<DataDerivedA> data; }; struct DerivedB : public Base { std::vector<DataDerivedB> data; } These are meant to be complex manipulators of corresponding bits of data that have similar str...
by Coffee Stain
Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:49 am UTC
Forum: Coding
Topic: Intentionally making compile time long
Replies: 40
Views: 7107

Re: Intentionally making compile time long

Enter Template Metaprogramming (A C++ construct): const int T = 100; template <int N, int M, int O, int P> struct Number { static const int Value = Number<M - 1, N, O, P>::Value * Number<M, N - 1, O, P>::Value * Number<M, N, O - 1, P>::Value * Number<M, N, O, P - 1>::Value; }; template<int N, int O,...
by Coffee Stain
Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:18 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0882: "Significant"
Replies: 166
Views: 83483

Re: 0882: "Significant"

It looks like there's a mistake in panel two. It probably should read without the word 'green', or else it sort of contradicts the panel with the "Whoa." Threw me off for a little bit as to what the joke was.
by Coffee Stain
Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:07 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Religion may become extinct in nine nations, study says
Replies: 92
Views: 8768

Re: Religion may become extinct in nine nations, study says

...so basically, if you read the article all the way to the end, it doesn't say anything with the certainty that the headline seems to imply. How typical. You know how it goes. "Organized religion shows steady long-term decline" fed through the media machine comes out as "Gee Willike...
by Coffee Stain
Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:53 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Pedophilephobia
Replies: 87
Views: 12292

Re: Pedophilephobia

Are we going off of anything other than the experiences a few Reddit users? In fact, no. Let's find some real sources, statistics, or even opinion by reputable sources. 1/8 men refuse to work with children out of fear of being labeled a pedophile. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/6709313.stm?lsm More acc...
by Coffee Stain
Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:15 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Religion: The Deuce
Replies: 5301
Views: 586588

Re: Religion: The Deuce

Then there's the bible alleging ... a ridiculous assertion that all languages were formed in a single recent event to which there is only evidence to the contrary as well. From which school of thought in evolutionary or historical linguistics are you getting this claim? Perhaps you wouldn't be surp...
by Coffee Stain
Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:39 am UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Religion: The Deuce
Replies: 5301
Views: 586588

Re: Religion: The Deuce

That would be an impressively liberal reading of my statements. Then I'm confused why you would bring up reformed epistemology, the end result of that line of reasoning brings us to arguing Solipsism. What was your goal in mentioning it? I suppose I mean, I don't understand its relevancy within the...
by Coffee Stain
Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:17 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Religion: The Deuce
Replies: 5301
Views: 586588

Re: Religion: The Deuce

If you say that Ken Ham's position were one level of abstraction more absurd than the theist's, I suppose you mean that both conclusions are absurd, but that the absurdity of Ken Ham's conclusion operates in level of logical or epistemic framework different than that supporting the Theist's. I asse...
by Coffee Stain
Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:38 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Religion: The Deuce
Replies: 5301
Views: 586588

Re: Religion: The Deuce

Sorry, it was a typo of mine to say you meant that Ken Ham's was less absurd than the theist's. I still fail to see how you mean abstraction in the sense you seem to talking about. But since you've simply directed me to a link with condescendingly obvious information, I'll see if I can make sense of...
by Coffee Stain
Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:39 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Religion: The Deuce
Replies: 5301
Views: 586588

Re: Religion: The Deuce

Ken Ham's position is only one level of abstraction more absurd than teaching that God exists as fact. If God did exist there is no reason he couldn't have created the world 6k years ago and made it seem like it is much older, being the omnipotent guy that he is. Why would he do this? Who knows, he...
by Coffee Stain
Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:22 am UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Religion: The Deuce
Replies: 5301
Views: 586588

Re: Religion: The Deuce

For science, basically anyone who attempts to apply the scientific method would be a scientist, some of them may be bad scientist though, if they fail to apply it correctly (or they're just ignorant of the proper way to do so), that's not necessarily saying anything about them, just that they faile...
by Coffee Stain
Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:08 pm UTC
Forum: Gaming
Topic: Halo: Reach
Replies: 60
Views: 7657

Re: Halo: Reach

A book about forerunners was just released a couple weeks ago.

Re Bungie: Reach was certainly their last game. Here's an interview with one of the Microsoft Halo people about the future of Halo.
by Coffee Stain
Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:43 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: N.J. student secretly taped having sex kills himself
Replies: 235
Views: 16016

Re: N.J. student secretly taped having sex kills himself

I point out that it's wrong Oh, it's not the trait that's negative, it's the expression of the trait. These two are also logically equivalent. You don't have to agree with the distinction taking place in LR's mind in order for the distinction to be taking place. To be sure, if somebody provided a s...
by Coffee Stain
Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:50 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: N.J. student secretly taped having sex kills himself
Replies: 235
Views: 16016

Re: N.J. student secretly taped having sex kills himself

It matters because if the intent is compassion, but the compassion is fruitless from lack of education, then the solution is education not derision.
by Coffee Stain
Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:45 pm UTC
Forum: Coding
Topic: 3D Graphics (in C#?)
Replies: 9
Views: 2136

Re: 3D Graphics (in C#?)

by Coffee Stain
Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:29 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: N.J. student secretly taped having sex kills himself
Replies: 235
Views: 16016

Re: N.J. student secretly taped having sex kills himself

Do you not see the logical fallacy here? At what point in your child's life is he supposed to feel safe coming out? After being told by you that being gay is wrong, and then hearing the same from your spouse, their pastor, potentially siblings, and friends through church? At what point in your hypo...
by Coffee Stain
Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:50 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: N.J. student secretly taped having sex kills himself
Replies: 235
Views: 16016

Re: N.J. student secretly taped having sex kills himself

But at the same time you claim that you're trying to bring them closer to God's will, you're telling them that they were created with an innate quality that must be suppressed, defeated in order to be worthwhile. You're telling them that they were made wrong . If that doesn't imply feelings of supe...
by Coffee Stain
Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:35 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: N.J. student secretly taped having sex kills himself
Replies: 235
Views: 16016

Re: N.J. student secretly taped having sex kills himself

natraj wrote:Maybe they do contribute, Nordic, but if we judge them for that contribution we're just as bad as they are, see. :roll:

I think the contention is that yes, you are putting children's lives at risk for the sake of your moral superiority complex, just like they are.
by Coffee Stain
Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:54 pm UTC
Forum: Gaming
Topic: Halo: Reach
Replies: 60
Views: 7657

Re: Halo: Reach

KrazyerKate wrote:To be fair, the game is valued at over five times the value of a movie ticket.

Equivalently.
by Coffee Stain
Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:22 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Religion: The Deuce
Replies: 5301
Views: 586588

Re: Religion: The Deuce

You could construct a logic machine that has a chance of positing the supernatural for certain (and in my view, useful) definitions of natural, but I would hardly consider the machine "religious" unless it felt the need to act on it, as humans often are. Doesn't the supernatural fitting a...
by Coffee Stain
Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:23 am UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Religion: The Deuce
Replies: 5301
Views: 586588

Re: Religion: The Deuce

Theism -- monotheism and polytheism -- however, is a subset of religious beliefs. Not all religious people are theists, but all theists are religious. (If I'm missing any exceptions, correct me.) I would instead say that mono- and poly-theism have subsets which are themselves subsets of religious b...
by Coffee Stain
Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:00 am UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Religion: The Deuce
Replies: 5301
Views: 586588

Re: Religion: The Deuce

Theism -- monotheism and polytheism -- however, is a subset of religious beliefs. Not all religious people are theists, but all theists are religious. (If I'm missing any exceptions, correct me.) I would instead say that mono- and poly-theism have subsets which are themselves subsets of religious b...
by Coffee Stain
Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:14 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Grönd zero musque ox
Replies: 396
Views: 42686

Re: Ground "zero" mosque

natraj wrote:
stdragon wrote:What's up with that, in your opinion? Why do you think it doesn't count?


Maybe because it wasn't one of the buildings that was destroyed and therefore is not ground zero. Just maybe.

Sure about that?
by Coffee Stain
Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:38 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Should drivers and passengers in automobiles wear helmets?
Replies: 99
Views: 16922

Re: Should drivers and passengers in automobiles wear helmet

Full. Body. Armor. More seriously, there's a good chance that the reason that there isn't particularly widespread study into the increased safety of helmets in automobiles is that researchers don't expect that there would be a significant enough improvement to account for the reasons not to wear one...
by Coffee Stain
Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:12 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Christian claims we are morally obligated to believe in God.
Replies: 72
Views: 9461

Re: Christian claims we are morally obligated to believe in

I'll try to be much more succinct with this post. :lol: The Christian (or perhaps theist) idea, I think, for why we should use the word 'faith' vs. 'trust,' is that indeed faith implies belief with a lack of evidence, although perhaps not a total lack. I'll frame thi...
by Coffee Stain
Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:08 am UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Religion: The Deuce
Replies: 5301
Views: 586588

Re: Religion: The Deuce

The Christian (or perhaps theist) idea, I think, for why we should use the word 'faith' vs. 'trust,' is that indeed faith implies belief with a lack of evidence, although perhaps not a total lack. I'll frame this as a separate issue from the plausible rejection of all religions due to likely Natura...
by Coffee Stain
Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:03 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Pastor to burn the Quran, film at 11.
Replies: 361
Views: 31062

Re: Pastor to burn the Quran, film at 11.

The Reaper wrote:Arent Christianity and Islam related?

Yeah, Islam is her second cousin, once removed on his mother's side, and her third cousin twice removed on his father's side, if you follow me.
by Coffee Stain
Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:49 pm UTC
Forum: Gaming
Topic: Halo: Reach
Replies: 60
Views: 7657

Re: Halo: Reach

It looks like a great game, it just seems to me like it won't be as big of a deal as the previous games because its not "Halo 4" True; there is also the lack of the Chief. They might tie it into the original trilogy's storyline, though, since it deals with the moments directly preceding t...
by Coffee Stain
Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:31 am UTC
Forum: Gaming
Topic: Halo: Reach
Replies: 60
Views: 7657

Halo: Reach

I suppose it's about time for this thread's existence. The game is claimed to be the best Halo to date, and I suppose we'll find out when it releases on the 14th!

Live Action Trailer
Campaign Trailer
Campaign Gameplay
Firefight Gameplay
Multiplayer Match
by Coffee Stain
Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:54 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Christian claims we are morally obligated to believe in God.
Replies: 72
Views: 9461

Re: Christian claims we are morally obligated to believe in

A common belief is that it is immoral to believe that which is false; if one also believes that God exists, it seems natural to suggest that not having that belief is immoral. If you ask most Christians the question "is a sin done in ignorance a sin?" they will answer no. There are also p...
by Coffee Stain
Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:41 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Christian claims we are morally obligated to believe in God.
Replies: 72
Views: 9461

Re: Christian claims we are morally obligated to believe in

I say we are morally obligated to believe in FSM. Clearly Christians don't, so they are immoral. In regards to the whole heaven and hell thing, who knows whether heaven is really hell and hell is really heaven? And the Christians are down for the count! But a disbelief in God is not because you for...
by Coffee Stain
Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:42 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Christian claims we are morally obligated to believe in God.
Replies: 72
Views: 9461

Re: Christian claims we are morally obligated to believe in

A common belief is that it is immoral to believe that which is false; if one also believes that God exists, it seems natural to suggest that not having that belief is immoral. Apparently it is natural among such believers to engage in shabby logic, conflating believing a falsehood in the first case...
by Coffee Stain
Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:11 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Christian claims we are morally obligated to believe in God.
Replies: 72
Views: 9461

Re: Christian claims we are morally obligated to believe in

No one is questioning whether or not loving God is an *obligation* in the Christian faith. The question is whether or not Christians believe it is a *moral* obligation to love God. Not believing in God is not in and of itself immoral, though many Christians believe that the two are related. This do...
by Coffee Stain
Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:32 am UTC
Forum: Mathematics
Topic: Conditional Probability from Scratch
Replies: 5
Views: 1301

Re: Conditional Probability from Scratch

Ah, thanks guys. My solution then, by substituting the integer solution of the Beta function, is: f_{n,k}(x) = x^k(1-x)^{n-k} {n \choose k}(n+1) Which checks out as being correctly normalized. I'm having one of those math moments now. :) It's remarkable how the solution to al...
by Coffee Stain
Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:12 am UTC
Forum: Mathematics
Topic: Conditional Probability from Scratch
Replies: 5
Views: 1301

Re: Conditional Probability from Scratch

Awesome, that's what I was looking for! Thinking about my first question, it's almost philosophical isn't it? Do propositions of unknown probability given an unknown set and number of priors tend to have probabilities that tend toward the extremes? I suppose for my purposes it's not terribly importa...
by Coffee Stain
Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:27 pm UTC
Forum: Mathematics
Topic: Conditional Probability from Scratch
Replies: 5
Views: 1301

Conditional Probability from Scratch

It's been some time since I've taken probability, so forgive any ignorance: Let's say that we have a binary trial, a random variable for which we don't know the value of p. Firstly, is it standard, for a random variable for which we haven't the slightest amount of information, to begin with a unifor...

Go to advanced search