Search found 720 matches

by Kang
Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:59 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Blistering blue barnacles
Replies: 28601
Views: 3422520

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Time for another street traffic related rant: Dear driver of the black BMW First of all: thanks for being the jerk stereotypically connected with your choice of vehicle. I fully understand that it's a nuisance that the driver in front of you didn't want to exceed the speed limit by more than 10km/h ...
by Kang
Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:31 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Important question: polar bears, or tanks?
Replies: 32
Views: 4336

Re: Important question: polar bears, or tanks?

[...]Greenpeace and animal rights activists march on Washington in a calm, collected manner, demanding the immediate abolishment of all areas of the armed forces, leading humanity into a new age of peace and brotherhood [...] Now I apologise for this sounding like right-wing propaganda drivel, but ...
by Kang
Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:27 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Lucky Ten Thousand (TIL)
Replies: 13421
Views: 1687502

Re: Today I Learned

What is the maximum airspeed velocity of a swallow carrying a rat?
by Kang
Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:00 pm UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: Science needs a symbol
Replies: 83
Views: 12920

Re: Science needs a symbol

Shivahn wrote:Clearly, we should use λ.

We may have to hire some lawyers first though.

How about Ψ then? I always liked Ψ. Or better yet: ξ.
by Kang
Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:56 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Blistering blue barnacles
Replies: 28601
Views: 3422520

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Most of the people in the thread, I think, are members of an atheist/skeptic community in Missouri. In the thread, after the "we should kill them" remark, there was a pile of people declaring how police are all thugs, there are no good ones, comparing them to Crips, etc. etc. ("I've ...
by Kang
Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:52 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Thoughts for ships
Replies: 90163
Views: 8911782

Re: Screechings of the Great Unwashed (Meander to the Morgue

nehpest wrote:The Devabot is actually a more productive member of the community than some (many?) of our flesh-and-blood members.

Also, ST is a statistics defiler.

From that I deduct that we should welcome our new robot oppressors with open arms.
by Kang
Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:55 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Thoughts for ships
Replies: 90163
Views: 8911782

Re: Screechings of the Great Unwashed (Meander to the Morgue

I'm beginning to suspect that books are in some sort of conspiracy. I don't get nearly as much reading done as I'd love to and despite reading a chapter or two every now and then it always seems like the bookmark wasn't moving towards the back at all. Do they add more pages to the end while the book...
by Kang
Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:08 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Dentist Advice
Replies: 10
Views: 5978

Re: Dentist Advice

This doesn't help at all, but:
Re: MP3 Player: my dentist actually has a TV mounted to the ceiling, running some nature documentary in endless loop. Think about it, if you happen to be a dentist yourself!
by Kang
Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:06 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Sleep-time holodeck experiences
Replies: 3403
Views: 750501

Re: What were your dreams last night?

Cathy wrote:How do you guys remember your dreams so accurately? I just get vague outlines and just-out-of-reach details.

Don't worry, nine out of ten I don't remember a thing at all.
by Kang
Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:11 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Most excellent times
Replies: 5132
Views: 895128

Re: Awesome Thread: awesome

Drumheller769 wrote:My state has people on its Supreme Court that do this!?!? How have I not seen anything like this before...awesome!

Your crimes just haven't been Supreme Court worthy as of yet, I'm afraid.
by Kang
Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:53 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Lucky Ten Thousand (TIL)
Replies: 13421
Views: 1687502

Re: Today I Learned

That's nice. Isn't Boston actually one of the cities in which they actually had a zombie-themed all-service exercise?
by Kang
Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:42 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Lucky Ten Thousand (TIL)
Replies: 13421
Views: 1687502

Re: Today I Learned

felltir wrote:Trigger warning:

Spoiler:
And he pulled the fastest milk-cart in the west.

I see what you did there. Very nice.
by Kang
Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:15 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Thoughts for ships
Replies: 90163
Views: 8911782

Re: Screechings of the Great Unwashed (Meander to the Morgue

Have it all. Get fined, go to jail, wreck your car, kill somebody, kill yourself.
by Kang
Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:58 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Thoughts for ships
Replies: 90163
Views: 8911782

Re: Screechings of the Great Unwashed (Meander to the Morgue

I agree with SlyReaper. The message should be: don't drink and drive because you don't drive safely anymore. Getting caught and taking a ride with the police certainly isn't the worst that can possibly happen. Maybe they have different ads with different cases?
by Kang
Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:48 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Blistering blue barnacles
Replies: 28601
Views: 3422520

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Rant:
To quote Dilbert: I've found out what's wrong with the world. It's other people.
by Kang
Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:54 pm UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: Detecting a voyager-like object
Replies: 11
Views: 2423

Re: Detecting a voyager-like object

A debate about the infamous Drake equation once led me to a similar idea: If we knew we were doomed as a civilisation (knowing that seriously with a bit of a real deadline), a way of 'telling the universe' we were ever here could go right along those lines. Not a voyager probe for obvious reasons, b...
by Kang
Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:49 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Lucky Ten Thousand (TIL)
Replies: 13421
Views: 1687502

Re: Today I Learned

Well, I think what the point was, is that there are actually full movies in one video officially there.
by Kang
Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:42 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Blistering blue barnacles
Replies: 28601
Views: 3422520

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

As it happens, I did talk to the teacher, to absolutely no avail. Apparently I should have replaced each instance of the word `shit' with `excrement' or something similar. Would've been helpful if she'd said that (or , for that matter, anything suggesting that swear words in quotes were inappropria...
by Kang
Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:31 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: The Sun
Replies: 19
Views: 3473

Re: The Sun

That's what you get for questioning what people tell you.
by Kang
Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:55 pm UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: Bad science jokes!
Replies: 100
Views: 35310

Re: Bad science jokes!

That goes in the same vein as this old one: An engineer, a physicist and a mathematician are left in a cell each with nothing but a can of spam. After a while they are being checked on. The engineer scraps a piece of stone from the wall and uses it to smash open the can. The physicist makes a few ca...
by Kang
Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:52 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Blistering blue barnacles
Replies: 28601
Views: 3422520

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Re: funeral: This was a month ago, but since ExplodingHat brought up the topic: why is it that the official side of inheritance matters seem to be impossible in case of the family not fighting over who gets what? What the hell? Did they set up the law believing that such a case would just never happ...
by Kang
Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:46 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Thoughts for ships
Replies: 90163
Views: 8911782

Re: Screechings of the Great Unwashed (Meander to the Morgue

If littoral, ocean or lake?
by Kang
Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:44 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Lucky Ten Thousand (TIL)
Replies: 13421
Views: 1687502

Re: Today I Learned

TIL: it is bad form to add facts to your presentation on the conclusions slide. I also learned that I don't mind displaying bad form this time.
by Kang
Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:14 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Lucky Ten Thousand (TIL)
Replies: 13421
Views: 1687502

Re: Today I Learned

Oh, I completely forgot about that and just went with someone else saying 'kitteh!' later on... which made that whole 'romantic and sexual relationship' a very weird statement indeed.
by Kang
Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:21 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Lucky Ten Thousand (TIL)
Replies: 13421
Views: 1687502

Re: Today I Learned

But more seriously, I'm not sure I can reconcile my happy and spiritual existence with one focused in any real way on a sexual or romantic relationship, and am starting to believe rather strongly that at least for me, I do have to choose. Some people can have both, perhaps, but it's looking like I ...
by Kang
Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:08 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Thoughts for ships
Replies: 90163
Views: 8911782

Re: Screechings of the Great Unwashed (Meander to the Morgue

torontoraptor wrote:So Amazon makes money, the seller makes money, the customer gets a cheap book, and the postal service get screwed?

Technically, if someone gets screwed there, it is the customer who pays more for shipping than shipping actually costs.
by Kang
Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:13 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Hypothetically would you fight god to save your soulmate?
Replies: 92
Views: 12636

Re: Hypothetically would you fight god to save your soulmate

Yeah, but the angels were seemingly in a position to know God a lot better than humans, and a lot of them thought it was worth risking the consequences to openly rebel. Given that all parties are beyond human comprehension, isn't it a bit premature to be taking sides? Especially when we've only hea...
by Kang
Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:08 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Thoughts for ships
Replies: 90163
Views: 8911782

Re: Screechings of the Great Unwashed (Meander to the Morgue

I've always wanted to align old landscape photos with what the place looks like today. So I set about finding a random photo, ending up with one from 1944, and doing a bit o' detective work to find its exact locale. Observe! (Click on the photo for Google Maps Streetview link) http://img42.imagesha...
by Kang
Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:03 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Most excellent times
Replies: 5132
Views: 895128

Re: Awesome Thread: awesome

That was fairly awesome, Menacing Spike.
by Kang
Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:00 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Blistering blue barnacles
Replies: 28601
Views: 3422520

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

So... I learned that sombody sent me something to a place I am going to move into. My name's not yet on the mailbox, so it didn't get delivered, of course. The rant starts with asking the post office to look into storage for it, as I know they keep pieces of mail they couldn't deliver for a while. I...
by Kang
Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:51 pm UTC
Forum: Fictional Science
Topic: Space Combat
Replies: 30
Views: 8534

Re: Space Combat

I don't think you can just dismiss weight considerations. Even if your ship is built in orbit, the material has to be transported. Also weight will return as a decisive factor via momentum if you limit the power of engines. Also for the sake of argument: if 'simply coat my ship in thick armor' prote...
by Kang
Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:36 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Thoughts for ships
Replies: 90163
Views: 8911782

Re: Screechings of the Great Unwashed (Meander to the Morgue

Zarq wrote:The save icon in OpenOffice is a harddrive. At least I think that's what it's supposed to be.

So you are too young to remember 3.5" diskettes?
by Kang
Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:27 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Blistering blue barnacles
Replies: 28601
Views: 3422520

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

I officially hate everything now. Would some ultra-powerful being please show up at my front door and take me to an alternate reality where this kind of fucking bullshit doesn't happen? This story had better be fake because if it isn't I will destroy everything with Superpower!Bohemian Rhapsody, th...
by Kang
Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:08 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Thoughts for ships
Replies: 90163
Views: 8911782

Re: Screechings of the Great Unwashed (Meander to the Morgue

I thought people watched that specifically for the seizures.
by Kang
Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:05 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Blistering blue barnacles
Replies: 28601
Views: 3422520

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Also don't burn down your whole place when the ATF comes knocking. That's generally frowned upon. Rant: How comes someone can spend an afternoon mocking my first decision on something as horrible just to miraculously join that point of view just as I'm starting to think about switching to what they ...
by Kang
Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:19 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Question to Life, the Universe, and Everything
Replies: 4
Views: 1219

Re: Question to Life, the Universe, and Everything

Using jsMath so my browser would freeze for a whole minute loading this, especially since it was far from necessary, convinced me that you are wrong.
by Kang
Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:56 pm UTC
Forum: Fictional Science
Topic: Sci-Fi Weapons and Technology
Replies: 16
Views: 5179

Re: Sci-Fi Weapons and Technology

No, mostly because you didn't put it like that. But maybe my earlier response sounded much harsher than it should have. It's just that neither of these really moved away from the standpoint of 'look, it just works somehow, okay?'.
by Kang
Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:50 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Blistering blue barnacles
Replies: 28601
Views: 3422520

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Speaking of mothers and the weird things they love to do: 1.: Mother asks opinion on something. 2.: Response is different from what was expected. Get mad. 3.: Question why my opinon is even asked in the first place, if it gets discarded right away anyhow. 4.: Spend the rest of the day in the 'why ar...
by Kang
Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:37 am UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: Bad science jokes!
Replies: 100
Views: 35310

Re: Bad science jokes!

A college physics professor used this mnemonic in one lecture I attended... So, trucks need to go to the weigh station to be weighed, OK? And they weigh trucks in tons, so the scale they use is called a "ton-meter". (draws a ton-meter on whiteboard) Now a lot of these ton-meters are old a...
by Kang
Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:18 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Thoughts for ships
Replies: 90163
Views: 8911782

Re: Screechings of the Great Unwashed (Meander to the Morgue

The other day I actually sent off something via snail mail. The most important reason we'd all, I think, miss the postal service if it were gone would be, that it's still fairly hard to send physical objects through the internet.

Go to advanced search