Search found 8798 matches

by Zohar
Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:26 pm UTC
Forum: Movies and TV Shows
Topic: Anime Thread of Doom
Replies: 4359
Views: 608502

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

I LOVED Your Name. It is still showing, apparently. I'd be interested in going again, if my friends were into it.
by Zohar
Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:45 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Let's Talk Money
Replies: 195
Views: 23276

Re: Let's Talk Money

We all know the ancient Europeans knew best, and so if you have to eat you really only have two options - Roman day-long gala or two Spartan boys fighting to the death over who gets the last scrap of food.
by Zohar
Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:42 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Thoughts for ships
Replies: 89645
Views: 5556235

Re: Thoughts for ships

Sizik wrote:As processors get faster, memory access speed gets relatively slower, due to the speed of light (and the physical distance between the CPU and RAM) staying constant.

OK, so how do we increase the speed of light?
by Zohar
Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:21 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Thoughts for ships
Replies: 89645
Views: 5556235

Re: Thoughts for ships

Isn't it because it's hard to miniaturize enough? We're getting too close to quantum level or something?
by Zohar
Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:54 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Let's Talk Money
Replies: 195
Views: 23276

Re: Let's Talk Money

sardia wrote:In my defense, evidence shows that drinking or snacking all morning is worse for your teeth then finishing your snack right away.

There's a difference between spreading your meal over four hours, 20 minutes, or 3 minutes. By which I mean, no one is advocating for the extreme you're talking about.
by Zohar
Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:47 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Trump presidency
Replies: 2177
Views: 108490

Re: Trump presidency

Zyklon B was a pesticide and was sold up until at least 2000. It may be still for sale under some name or another. Anything can be weaponized. Are knives not weapons because we can cook with them? Baseball bats? Flare guns? If you don't have anything to say other than "here are some facts comp...
by Zohar
Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:30 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Trump presidency
Replies: 2177
Views: 108490

Re: Trump presidency

Maybe people should elect people with actual governmental experience so you can see how they run things instead of just the words they spout from their mouths.
by Zohar
Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:13 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: In other news... (humorous news items)
Replies: 13758
Views: 1718155

Re: In other news... (humorous news items)

Google's home assistant is designed to be triggered by the phrase "OK Google", which it did. That's like saying if I happen to come across the key to your home, I'm allowed to walk right in and do what I want. If neither the owners of the device nor the creators of the device meant for th...
by Zohar
Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:23 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: In other news... (humorous news items)
Replies: 13758
Views: 1718155

Re: In other news... (humorous news items)

According to your quote it seems like it might fall under "exceeds authorized access" and the object of the fraud was the use of the computer, so maybe? They should make a The Good Fight (seeing as we don't have The Good Wife anymore) episode about this.
by Zohar
Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:40 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: In other news... (humorous news items)
Replies: 13758
Views: 1718155

Re: In other news... (humorous news items)

cphite wrote:They exploited is the intended operation of the device.

Disagree. Pop-up ads are intended to activate when you're using your web browser, which they do. Google's home assistant is not designed to be triggered by TV commercials, it's definitely not the intended use.
by Zohar
Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:22 pm UTC
Forum: Movies and TV Shows
Topic: The Misogyny Kool-Aid
Replies: 56
Views: 3180

Re: The Misogyny Kool-Aid

At very least, now I need to make sure that Why? Why do you need to make sure of that? As for the content of the thread, people discuss off-topic things. It happens. We talk about the people mentioned in the film, disconnected from the film itself. We talk about our apprehensions regarding watching...
by Zohar
Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:02 pm UTC
Forum: Gaming
Topic: Board games anyone?
Replies: 851
Views: 163903

Re: Board games anyone?

We didn't use equipment cards very much until the last few games, but relationship stuff definitely helped a ton.
by Zohar
Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:54 pm UTC
Forum: Movies and TV Shows
Topic: Logon
Replies: 113
Views: 7143

Re: Logon

I see your point. But to me it just seems strange to judge a movie like that based on a single scene, even if you're only doing the judging in your head while watching the rest of the movie. There's just so many directions a movie can go in after such a scene. I apologize then, because it's clear I...
by Zohar
Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:47 pm UTC
Forum: Movies and TV Shows
Topic: Logon
Replies: 113
Views: 7143

Re: Logon

It was set IN Mexico. What ethnicity did you expect the thieves to be? I suppose they could have just cast white people for every role in the movie, regardless of where the movie was set, but I suspect that would have also led to charges of racism. You don't have to be a dick about this. I said it ...
by Zohar
Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:54 pm UTC
Forum: Movies and TV Shows
Topic: Logon
Replies: 113
Views: 7143

Re: Logon

It really bothered me it was a bunch of Mexicans getting slaughtered by Wolverine as the first action scene. The rest of the movie rectified that, but it didn't make a good first impression. It just seemed like lazy, racist writing (bad hombres and shit like that).
by Zohar
Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:44 pm UTC
Forum: Movies and TV Shows
Topic: Logon
Replies: 113
Views: 7143

Re: Logon

Chen wrote:After they shot him, yeah I was good with some murderin'. Who goes around stealing hubcaps/rims and is INSTANTLY willing to murder another person for them?

Badly-written characters, obviously.
by Zohar
Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:42 pm UTC
Forum: Movies and TV Shows
Topic: The Misogyny Kool-Aid
Replies: 56
Views: 3180

Re: The Misogyny Kool-Aid

Sexual assault that targets men is laughed off not because of feminism, but because of toxic masculinity - (a) men are strong and women are weak, so it's impossible for a man to be raped by a woman, and (b) men always want sex, so anyone claiming they didn't want it is joking or a weirdo - which is...
by Zohar
Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:36 pm UTC
Forum: Gaming
Topic: Board games anyone?
Replies: 851
Views: 163903

Re: Board games anyone?

The game balances itself pretty well. I think we ended up playing... 16 or 17 rounds? Every time you lose, you gain two more funding cards which help a ton - delay epidemics and give you useful powers. And I believe there's an "open this if you lose four times in a row" box, too. Once we m...
by Zohar
Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:25 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: In other news... (humorous news items)
Replies: 13758
Views: 1718155

Re: In other news... (humorous news items)

Would Google need to place these charges? I doubt they'd want to do that.
by Zohar
Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:02 pm UTC
Forum: Movies and TV Shows
Topic: The Misogyny Kool-Aid
Replies: 56
Views: 3180

Re: The Misogyny Kool-Aid

Unless you have the specific methodology used in the survey on how they classified 'rape victims', I'm not sure you should trust that data set for argumentative purposes. Lucky for you, this is a research done by academics, and they do have specific methodology for these things. Unfortunately for y...
by Zohar
Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:39 pm UTC
Forum: Movies and TV Shows
Topic: The Misogyny Kool-Aid
Replies: 56
Views: 3180

Re: The Misogyny Kool-Aid

Let me put it this way - a ridiculously low number of sexual assaults and rape are actually reported to the authorities 1 . Even assuming ALL rape accusations are fake, the number of actual rapes vastly outnumbers the complaints. 1 From the same study I mentioned, out of ~250 people they've intervie...
by Zohar
Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:31 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Breaking Up the United States
Replies: 162
Views: 9180

Re: Breaking Up the United States

There are also arguments for separation - keeping girls safe, for instance. Those arguments are usually wrong and misguided (sexual assault, for instance, is no less prevalent in all-girl colleges), but they exist.
by Zohar
Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:59 pm UTC
Forum: Gaming
Topic: Board games anyone?
Replies: 851
Views: 163903

Re: Board games anyone?

I played it with four people and really enjoyed myself, but I've heard from plenty of people exactly what pseudo said. Generally Pandemic is easier with fewer characters, so you could choose to just play one character each. However, in order to experience more aspects of the game, you might have mor...
by Zohar
Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:13 pm UTC
Forum: Movies and TV Shows
Topic: The Misogyny Kool-Aid
Replies: 56
Views: 3180

Re: The Misogyny Kool-Aid

Also it's worth noting that reporting rape is almost always a terrible experience for the reporter. I actually know quite a bit about this because my husband has been working for over a year on a study regarding sexual harassment and rape on Columbia university campuses. Of all the people they've in...
by Zohar
Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:17 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Breaking Up the United States
Replies: 162
Views: 9180

Re: Breaking Up the United States

Millumi wrote:Playing devil's advocate:

No need, we're fine.
by Zohar
Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:19 pm UTC
Forum: Gaming
Topic: Board games anyone?
Replies: 851
Views: 163903

Re: Board games anyone?

I really enjoyed Legacy, and I'm very curious to try season two when it comes out. It's a unique experience. Much better than Risk Legacy, in my opinion.
by Zohar
Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:56 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Breaking Up the United States
Replies: 162
Views: 9180

Re: Breaking Up the United States

If somehow "separate but equal" actually was true, then certainly at the very least a constitutional argument could be made for it. Would still be a bad idea for a whole slew of other reasons of course. The quote isn't "If separate but equal was true then the original reason it was d...
by Zohar
Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:01 pm UTC
Forum: Food
Topic: Today I Made:
Replies: 4015
Views: 616210

Re: Today I Made:

That sounds great! I made this vegetarian matzo ball soup for the friends we're seeing tonight (not a seder, just having dinner). It was my first time making matzo ball soup, I think, and it turned out pretty well. I was surprised at the addition of saffron but it really did bring an additional flav...
by Zohar
Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:28 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Breaking Up the United States
Replies: 162
Views: 9180

Re: Breaking Up the United States

Millumi wrote:If segregation were actually separate but equal, you could make an argument for it.

Wow, you actually wrote down those words.
by Zohar
Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:55 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Trump presidency
Replies: 2177
Views: 108490

Re: Trump presidency

Spicer's said plenty of really stupid stuff but at least with this I can see the kernel of sanity buried in the statement somewhere. Well I can't. First, what the fuck is he doing bringing up Hitler as a comparison at all? Second, no, Hitler was way worse than Assad. Third, saying German Jews aren'...
by Zohar
Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:01 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Trump presidency
Replies: 2177
Views: 108490

Re: Trump presidency

He still had about 50 million people to choose from.
by Zohar
Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:42 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Trump presidency
Replies: 2177
Views: 108490

Re: Trump presidency

I understand being press secretary is a tough job. But is Sean Spicer really the best person Trump found for the job?

Spicer says even Hitler didn't sink to using chemical weapons!
by Zohar
Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:21 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Post your boat race.
Replies: 20854
Views: 2036071

Re: Post your boat race.

So that was Spiderman rescuing you?
by Zohar
Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:20 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Post your boat race.
Replies: 20854
Views: 2036071

Re: Post your boat race.

I can't believe you would do that after what Spiderman did for you :) Also that is awesome!
by Zohar
Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:44 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Trump presidency
Replies: 2177
Views: 108490

Re: Trump presidency

Has a conscience? The way to save Syrian children's lives is to give them access to safe spaces. He should open the borders if he cares so much about children. This seems a lot more like an intelligent adviser telling him what to do so he can be praised for his actions.
by Zohar
Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:46 pm UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: Science-based what-if questions
Replies: 286
Views: 19867

Re: Science-based what-if questions

andykhang wrote:So how would you build this house with gold?

I would not.
by Zohar
Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:33 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Let's Talk Money
Replies: 195
Views: 23276

Re: Let's Talk Money

Dunno about the rest of you, but I'd lay out a fair amount of cash for even a marginally better chance of avoiding cavity drilling. Certainly I'm willing fork over the cost of a new electric toothbrush every few years. Agreed. Also my experience with dentists in the US has been not great. Would lik...
by Zohar
Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:01 pm UTC
Forum: Food
Topic: Today I Made:
Replies: 4015
Views: 616210

Re: Today I Made:

Made some beet dip yesterday (roasted beets, walnuts, garlic, olive oil, vinegar, salt, pepper, blend everything) for a friend's housewarming, which turned out delicious.

Need to make something to eat this week, too...
by Zohar
Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:35 pm UTC
Forum: Gaming
Topic: Games you can't remember the title of.
Replies: 1792
Views: 375897

Re: Games you can't remember the title of.

I played all four .Hacks. They weren't great, but still decent.
by Zohar
Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:56 am UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Why is dog fighting morally wrong?
Replies: 60
Views: 5688

Re: Why is dog fighting morally wrong?

A combination of: we keep them as pets, they traditionally had uses for pest control, they are cute, and they are obligate carnivores and thus wasteful to grow for meat. Oh, and we can emotionally relate to cats and dogs. Supposedly. You still haven't convinced me the loyal soldier thing is a thing...

Go to advanced search