Search found 67 matches

by mric
Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:28 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1492: "Dress color"
Replies: 362
Views: 58752

Re: 1492: "Dress color"

I do worry that the fashion industry uses such stick-thin models.
by mric
Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:04 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1470: "Kix"
Replies: 112
Views: 21659

Re: 1470: "Kix"

I don't mind XKCD comics that I don't get because I don't know something even slightly worth knowing. I get mildly bored by the few that require the reader to have lived in the US. 30% of the readership (from outside the US, info from Alexa) will look at this comic and give a disappointed shrug.
by mric
Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:46 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1203: "Time Machines"
Replies: 100
Views: 33211

Re: 1203: "Time Machines"

This comic doesn't quite work for me. Time machines work (as we all know) by transporting 'something' as it is at the point of the operation of the machine, unchanged, to a different point in time (and also by accommodating all the tricksy problems of making sure that move doesn't cause two objects ...
by mric
Sun May 13, 2012 12:38 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1053: “Ten Thousand”
Replies: 127
Views: 40292

Re: 1053: “Ten Thousand”

dlan1000 wrote:I'm a bit unclear about how he comes to 1 in 10,000. Wouldn't the calculation look something like this:

I think the comic suggests that there are 10,000 people learning the fact each day, not that there is a 1/10,000 chance of meeting them.
by mric
Sat May 12, 2012 7:25 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1053: “Ten Thousand”
Replies: 127
Views: 40292

Re: 1053: “Ten Thousand”

Commonly known as a "permyriad" (less commonly as a "basis point".) I think you got your 'commonly' and 'less commonly' mixed up. Check out the Google ngrams tool, that graphs the incidence words in the Google Books corpus. Basis points appear to be hundreds of times more common...
by mric
Wed May 09, 2012 10:18 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1050: "Forgot Algebra"
Replies: 360
Views: 84680

Re: 1050: "Forgot Algebra"

You've missed the point. Simple addition and subtraction is algebra. What is colloquially referred to as arithmetic is, in fact, algebra . Therefore, if one does "arithmetic" after high school, that person does algebra after high school. If that is the substance of your assertion, then it...
by mric
Tue May 08, 2012 9:36 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1050: "Forgot Algebra"
Replies: 360
Views: 84680

Re: 1050: "Forgot Algebra"

The proposition that they are using something that is formally related to the thing they studied doesn't mean that they used the thing they studied - it is a coincidence, and irrelevant to the situation in the comic. That's an interesting straw man argument, but unrelated to my point that trig, cal...
by mric
Tue May 08, 2012 9:01 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1050: "Forgot Algebra"
Replies: 360
Views: 84680

Re: 1050: "Forgot Algebra"

So if it doesn't make sense, you go back to something earlier, and see if that makes sense. And you go back until you get to the first thing you don't quite understand, and figure it out. After you get it, it will look easy. The math that gets taught a lot is designed that way -- it's all supposed ...
by mric
Tue May 08, 2012 8:14 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1050: "Forgot Algebra"
Replies: 360
Views: 84680

Re: 1050: "Forgot Algebra"

You seem to be arguing that because the slope is technically defined in differential calculus with a limit that algebra/arithmetic is an extension of calculus. No. I'm asserting that just because a particular procedure from calculus (or trigonometry, etc.) is learned informally outside of the conte...
by mric
Tue May 08, 2012 5:20 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1050: "Forgot Algebra"
Replies: 360
Views: 84680

Re: 1050: "Forgot Algebra"

Are you serious? The carpenter absolutely uses a special case of the Pythagorean identity when he uses the 3 4 5 rule. That he may not realize that it's the Pythagorean identity that he's using doesn't change that fact. The roofer doesn't have to realize that he is using calculus to use it. Just be...
by mric
Mon May 07, 2012 9:20 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1050: "Forgot Algebra"
Replies: 360
Views: 84680

Re: 1050: "Forgot Algebra"

Unless your chosen profession involves math, when was the last time you had to take a logarithm, or solve a system of linear equations, or use a trigonometric identity? As quick examples, carpenters often use the 3 4 5 rule, which is just a special case of the Pythagorean identity (trigonometry). R...
by mric
Sat May 05, 2012 12:47 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1050: "Forgot Algebra"
Replies: 360
Views: 84680

Re: 1050: "Forgot Algebra"

For an analogy, consider a group of people forced through military boot camp; and for the sake of argument lets say it's really forced, like at gunpoint, and really is unnecessary, for no purpose other than to break their spirits or something. Most people who go through boot camp come out of it in ...
by mric
Fri May 04, 2012 8:42 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1050: "Forgot Algebra"
Replies: 360
Views: 84680

Re: 1050: "Forgot Algebra"

I never rote memorised the multiplication tables, I never really got why people tried to memorise them as you would a speech for an event to be parroted without understanding. they're blindingly obvious, they're not something you have to learn and if you get the rules then you can be vastly faster ...
by mric
Fri May 04, 2012 8:35 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1050: "Forgot Algebra"
Replies: 360
Views: 84680

Re: 1050: "Forgot Algebra"

Wooloomooloo makes a good point. It is not 'weird' that people present themselves as proud of their maths ignorance, given the emphasis placed on maths capability within schools. The pride is a direct reaction to a form of emotional bullying, in which their whole character and worth was undermined b...
by mric
Thu May 03, 2012 10:36 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1050: "Forgot Algebra"
Replies: 360
Views: 84680

Re: 1050: "Forgot Algebra"

Which leads to drawing. My biggest problems is people who can draw but thing they can't do math, or can do math but think they can't draw. How can you solve a physics problem if you can't sketch it out. How can you abtract to three point perspecitve, and do the proportion, but not abstract a variab...
by mric
Thu May 03, 2012 8:27 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1050: "Forgot Algebra"
Replies: 360
Views: 84680

Re: 1050: "Forgot Algebra"

Can't do maths? I've got a wonderful deal for you, potatoes, 19p a pound, three pounds, for you, special offer, a quid. Ok, tell you what, 90p, and that's cutting me hand off. Don't dare compain, you insisted you can't do maths. Like those potatoes? I've got this wonderful mortgage offer just here....
by mric
Thu May 03, 2012 7:38 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1050: "Forgot Algebra"
Replies: 360
Views: 84680

Re: 1050: "Forgot Algebra"

It amazes me how many technical people are hang onto their conviction that they cannot draw. I wonder why you are amazed that many people, technical or otherwise, are convinced they can not draw. I can't draw (except in a slightly shaky stick figure way) - I can't draw a straight line longer than s...
by mric
Wed May 02, 2012 9:06 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1050: "Forgot Algebra"
Replies: 360
Views: 84680

Re: 1050: "Forgot Algebra"

I spent years and years being told how learning Latin would improve my English vocabulary. However, I used my english vocabulary to figure out the latin vocabulary. I'm not going to argue that learning the language was a bad idea, it probably improved my critical thinking skills and definitely gave...
by mric
Wed May 02, 2012 8:53 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1050: "Forgot Algebra"
Replies: 360
Views: 84680

Re: 1050: "Forgot Algebra"

When you introduce yourself as a maths teacher you find out how much glee people have in telling you that they hated maths in school. This is why I find this comic funny because presumably Science Teachers and French teachers and History teachers don't get that reaction a third of the time. Also I ...
by mric
Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:56 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1039: "RuBisCO"
Replies: 122
Views: 39627

Re: 1039: "RuBisCO"

Indeed, you could also argue that the inability of chemistry to describe biological processes with the appropriate natural types of biological explanations combined with the reality of multiple realisability ensure that any epistemic reduction to chemistry is necessarily disjunctive. Though that is...
by mric
Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:28 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1039: "RuBisCO"
Replies: 122
Views: 39627

Re: 1039: "RuBisCO"

Chemists? Really? What does RuBisCO have to do with chemistry? It's straight up biology. Biology is just applied chemistry. Chemistry is just applied physics. I think you are both a little confused. Neither reduction actually works (yet), and the 'biology is just applied chemistry' reduction isn't ...
by mric
Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:03 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1036: "Reviews"
Replies: 74
Views: 20172

Re: 1036: "Reviews"

toadpipe wrote:I can think of nothing at all that I would ever consider buying that fits that description. Not a single thing. Never in my life have I ever paid money for something that was expected to break in less than a year by any means other than trying to break it.

You don't have children, do you.
by mric
Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:38 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1035: “Cadbury Eggs”
Replies: 116
Views: 34024

Re: 1035: “Cadbury Eggs”

Title: When they moved production from New Zealand to the UK and switched from the runny white centers to the thick, frosting-like filling, it got way harder to cook them scrambled. RM has rather misread the point of the Wikipedia entry. Creme Eggs have had their major manufacturing base in the UK s...
by mric
Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:56 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1033: "Formal Logic"
Replies: 132
Views: 39846

Re: 1033: "Formal Logic"

Imperatives don't have truth values. Deontic logic is not a logic of imperatives. Its modal operators do not say "do the right thing" but "it is mandatory to do the right thing" or "it is permissible to do the right thing." Those two statements can have truth values; i...
by mric
Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:16 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1032: "Networking"
Replies: 123
Views: 38633

Re: 1032: "Networking"

I assume there is a joke lurking in this one. I can't see what it is, unless it is the extraordinarily feeble one of suggesting that social media companies have infantile business models. I guess that joke might have raised a wry smile in 2002.
by mric
Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:50 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1030: "Keyed"
Replies: 108
Views: 29512

Re: 1030: "Keyed"

I am a little puzzled. This would only appear to be funny if the actions of beret guy didn't constitute significant damage to the car, but rather something whimsically analogous to the damage of keying. However, painting a key on the side of the car is just as damaging to the paintwork as actually k...
by mric
Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:20 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1009: "Sigh"
Replies: 111
Views: 38082

Re: 1009: "Sigh"

Another of those US-only XKCDs. It's starting to get a little annoying. I just counted: Among the last 20 XKCDs (not counting the SOPA thing and the "1000" thing), 9 were US-only. What happened to general nerd-dom? Downton Abbey is British, and LFMAO is irritatingly pervasive (no. 18 on t...
by mric
Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:33 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1006: "Sloppier Than Fiction"
Replies: 60
Views: 17178

Re: 1006: "Sloppier Than Fiction"

I can't tell if this was supposed to be funny or not... There wasn't much of a punchline. EDIT: What I mean to say is that the first stick figure says "no one would believe it" and the second one responses by saying that he agrees because the script would be poorly written. It's like they...
by mric
Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:15 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0997: "Wait Wait"
Replies: 115
Views: 32281

Re: 0997: "Wait Wait"

Also as much as I want to criticize Randall for constantly referencing Internet memes, I actually laughed out loud at the "Wait Wait Don't Me" one. And nothing else. Perhaps someone would be kind enough to explain that one to me. It’s based on a meme where somebody says “I accidentally th...
by mric
Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:39 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0997: "Wait Wait"
Replies: 115
Views: 32281

Re: 0997: "Wait Wait"

Steve the Pocket wrote:Also as much as I want to criticize Randall for constantly referencing Internet memes, I actually laughed out loud at the "Wait Wait Don't Me" one. And nothing else.

Perhaps someone would be kind enough to explain that one to me.
by mric
Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:25 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0995: "Coin Star"
Replies: 105
Views: 21642

Re: 0995: "Coin Star"

Unless you're saying that coinstar empties the machine at 1/10th capacity (which I doubt is the case, being that you say the machine can be assumed to start at 1/4th capacity) I believe you mean $3,500, not $350. The $350 is the fee you would pay for depositing $3,600 worth of pennies. You will hav...
by mric
Mon Dec 26, 2011 1:10 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0995: "Coin Star"
Replies: 105
Views: 21642

Re: How do people get all these coins?

honestly, I'm just too lazy to ever give correct change, except when I am forced to (such as vending machines or parking meters), I pay by card whenever possible, and paper, or large coinage when it's not, so the self perpetuating system is laziness, I don't want to stand around in line counting (a...
by mric
Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:09 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0995: "Coin Star"
Replies: 105
Views: 21642

Re: How do people get all these coins?

The thing that puzzles me is how individuals end up with vast piles of coins. Businesses I understand - but they have cash management services from their banks. I can imagine an eight-year-old saving pennies, but an adult? all those times you buy things that are x.99, or if you ever really get chan...
by mric
Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:21 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0995: "Coin Star"
Replies: 105
Views: 21642

How do people get all these coins?

The thing that puzzles me is how individuals end up with vast piles of coins. Businesses I understand - but they have cash management services from their banks.

I can imagine an eight-year-old saving pennies, but an adult?
by mric
Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:11 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0995: "Coin Star"
Replies: 105
Views: 21642

Re: 0995: "Coin Star"

I'm saving pennies to fill the machine with enough to be a hassle to them afterwards. Anyone know the capacity of these machines? From detailed research (3 minutes on the internet), the holding bin is roughly a 60x60x60cm 3 box. a penny is roughly 0.4cm 3 , but let's call it 0.6cm 3 to allow for th...
by mric
Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:40 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0995: "Coin Star"
Replies: 105
Views: 21642

Re: 0995: "Coin Star"

sardia wrote:I never liked coinstar, I mean they charge you for stuff a bank does for free. Abusing inner city/urban poor people if you ask me.

It's compulsory to use Coinstar, is it?
by mric
Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:51 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0984: "Space Launch System"
Replies: 94
Views: 24626

Re: 0984: "Space Launch System"

The only circumstance that the word "one" should EVER have an S attached to it is if "one" is the name of things we are talking about. For instance, if we are calling one dollar bills ones. One, as a quantity, should never be plural. One is the definition of SINGULAR. Most of th...
by mric
Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:11 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0966: "Jet Fuel"
Replies: 168
Views: 39709

Re: 0966: "Jet Fuel"

Don't listen to the ad hominem attacks against those who spell aluminium correctly. Aluminium has two i-s. That's the international convention. It doesn't matter where the word comes from or how nice the people on either side of the argument are. Similarly, international convention is that element ...
by mric
Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:06 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0974: "The General Problem"
Replies: 113
Views: 38391

Re: 0974: "The General Problem"

Walking on the road is more dangerous than walking on the sidewalk it therefore carries a higher cost in your utility function. The result is that you should cross the road at an angle rather than either straight over or straight from beginning to destination. The problem can be shown to be equival...
by mric
Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:37 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0974: "The General Problem"
Replies: 113
Views: 38391

Re: 0974: "The General Problem"

JamusPsi wrote:I have been known to mutter, when someone takes a Cartesian path instead of the most diagonal, "Pythagoras hates you."

It applies every time. Cross country or cross lobby. NO EXCEPTIONS.

c < a + b

Crossing the road?

Go to advanced search