Search found 109 matches

by Stargazer71
Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:26 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1357: "Free Speech"
Replies: 1346
Views: 178971

Re: 1357: "Free Speech"

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:
Stargazer71 wrote:I have yet to see any evidence that I could make a reasonable statement without someone typing an outlandishly long TL;DR style response that begins with nothing but personal attacks. It's not worth my time.

My posts are too long?


I said, "someone." Not, "everyone." :)
by Stargazer71
Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:15 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1357: "Free Speech"
Replies: 1346
Views: 178971

Re: 1357: "Free Speech"

In my defense, Godwin's Law already came true about an hour ago. :) Yet more evidence that you are too lazy or too intellectually dishonest to bother reading the thread. The first mention of "Nazi" was on page 1 and of "Hitler" was on page 8, both of which were posted on Friday....
by Stargazer71
Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:08 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1357: "Free Speech"
Replies: 1346
Views: 178971

Re: 1357: "Free Speech"

My views on gay marriage are far more complicated than a straight up yes/no opinion. I won't divulge them, because it will undoubtedly result in more people bashing me as being an intolerant bigot. Oh come now, no one will leap to bash your opinions unless they're bigoted! Are they bigoted? Nobody ...
by Stargazer71
Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:01 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1357: "Free Speech"
Replies: 1346
Views: 178971

Re: 1357: "Free Speech"

gmalivuk wrote:
Stargazer71 wrote:I have yet to see any evidence that I could make a reasonable statement
That's the most reasonable statement you've made so far!

Q.E.D.
by Stargazer71
Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:57 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1357: "Free Speech"
Replies: 1346
Views: 178971

Re: 1357: "Free Speech"

My views on gay marriage are far more complicated than a straight up yes/no opinion. I won't divulge them, because it will undoubtedly result in more people bashing me as being an intolerant bigot. Oh come now, no one will leap to bash your opinions unless they're bigoted! Are they bigoted? Nobody ...
by Stargazer71
Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:52 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1357: "Free Speech"
Replies: 1346
Views: 178971

Re: 1357: "Free Speech"

I agree with the points made by the author and have reiterated them. I've been called an intolerant bigot because of it. If A==B and B==C, then...? That article is absolutely correct. While I disagree with some of the opinions of the people who wrote it, I proudly say that it was written and signed...
by Stargazer71
Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:45 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1357: "Free Speech"
Replies: 1346
Views: 178971

Re: 1357: "Free Speech"

To be fair, I think it's a bit sad that one of the co-founders of that company had to step out of it, but it probably means something: that when given the choice, he'd rather be a bigot than the CEO. He'd rather have hateful beliefs than be the leader of his baby of 15 years. Imagine that for a sec...
by Stargazer71
Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:41 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1357: "Free Speech"
Replies: 1346
Views: 178971

Re: 1357: "Free Speech"

Because those who imply that the authors are driven by bigotry and intolerance might hit a snag in their line of reasoning. Ok, it's driven by ignorance. Probem: soved Fair enough. Rather than pointing out bigotry and intolerance like others have absurdly done, can you point out the ignorance? That...
by Stargazer71
Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:31 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1357: "Free Speech"
Replies: 1346
Views: 178971

Re: 1357: "Free Speech"

Because those who imply that the authors are driven by bigotry and intolerance might hit a snag in their line of reasoning. Ok, it's driven by ignorance. Probem: soved Fair enough. Rather than pointing out bigotry and intolerance like others have absurdly done, can you point out the ignorance? That...
by Stargazer71
Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:26 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1357: "Free Speech"
Replies: 1346
Views: 178971

Re: 1357: "Free Speech"

Because those who imply that the authors are driven by bigotry and intolerance might hit a snag in their line of reasoning. Ok, it's driven by ignorance. Probem: soved Fair enough. Rather than pointing out bigotry and intolerance like others have absurdly done, can you point out the ignorance? That...
by Stargazer71
Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:20 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1357: "Free Speech"
Replies: 1346
Views: 178971

Re: 1357: "Free Speech"

The article is concise, accurate, and signed by a large number of gay marriage supporters . That is an important distinction that most (if not all) of the people here have ignored. Brocean Lord, why should we care that it's signed by gay marriage supporters? Because those who imply that the authors...
by Stargazer71
Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:16 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1357: "Free Speech"
Replies: 1346
Views: 178971

Re: 1357: "Free Speech"

Whatever legal actions are available to us. Boycotts, the court system, better representation in the media, protests Boycott and protest all you want. Just don't take legal action against the people protesting across the street. I'm pretty sure that by "legal actions", they meant "ac...
by Stargazer71
Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:08 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1357: "Free Speech"
Replies: 1346
Views: 178971

Re: 1357: "Free Speech"

Whatever legal actions are available to us. Boycotts, the court system, better representation in the media, protests And we're back! This comic applies: http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/free_speech.png Legal action? The court system? All of those are VERY much applicable to the 1st amendment and are VER...
by Stargazer71
Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:57 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1357: "Free Speech"
Replies: 1346
Views: 178971

Re: 1357: "Free Speech"

Ok wait. Time out. Did you really just say this? We teach society that intolerance is wrong. We do not tolerate it. ... (emphasis added) Tolerance. You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means. :lol: :lol: :lol: That was funny. Time in. Back to what you said: The solutio...
by Stargazer71
Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:48 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1357: "Free Speech"
Replies: 1346
Views: 178971

Re: 1357: "Free Speech"

avocadoowl wrote:Once again, someone demands we tolerate intolerance. False fucking equivalency.


Your solution? What should we do with these "intolerant" people?
by Stargazer71
Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:48 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1357: "Free Speech"
Replies: 1346
Views: 178971

Re: 1357: "Free Speech"

Stargazer, instead of flailing with a bunch of rehashed points, can you perhaps save us the effort of typing out the same responses we've given to a bunch of other people who raised the same objections and just read the thread? The article is concise, accurate, and signed by a large number of gay m...
by Stargazer71
Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:36 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1357: "Free Speech"
Replies: 1346
Views: 178971

Re: 1357: "Free Speech"

Your entire post was nothing but one long diatribe of, "I'm justified in my intolerance because of XYZ." Why? In what parts is he wrong? This shouldn't be a complicate issue. People are hating. People are discriminating and throwing shit around. We as a society have decided that that is n...
by Stargazer71
Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:19 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1357: "Free Speech"
Replies: 1346
Views: 178971

Re: 1357: "Free Speech"

Proposition 8, however, was all about hate. It wasn't about debate. It wasn't about diversity. It wasn't about a disagreement of opinion. And what word would you use to describe for outward retaliation over those who voted for it? (Hint: It begins with the letter "h" and rhymes with "...
by Stargazer71
Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:03 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1357: "Free Speech"
Replies: 1346
Views: 178971

Re: 1357: "Free Speech"

Something horrible is happening right now as I type this, and this needs to change. I agree that something horrible is happening, but I disagree on what that "something" is. This needs to change now, the stupid discrimination needs to end now. And bigots and homophobes are not ending it. ...
by Stargazer71
Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:32 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1357: "Free Speech"
Replies: 1346
Views: 178971

Re: 1357: "Free Speech"

This article deserves to be mentioned in this discussion: http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2014/04/22/freedom_to_marry_freedom_to_dissent_why_we_must_have_both_122376.html In contrast to Randall's arrogant and oversimplified argument, the statements in that public statement are articulate a...
by Stargazer71
Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:47 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1357: "Free Speech"
Replies: 1346
Views: 178971

Re: 1357: "Free Speech"

And what about getting fired from your job** for things you say and do in your private life? Funny how that one is not mentioned. (**reading people's minds in advance: Fine. Being forced to resign under pressure...as though that is different.) Firstly, there is a thread in N&A for discussion of...
by Stargazer71
Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:24 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1357: "Free Speech"
Replies: 1346
Views: 178971

Re: 1357: "Free Speech"

And what about getting fired from your job** for things you say and do in your private life? Funny how that one is not mentioned.

(**reading people's minds in advance: Fine. Being forced to resign under pressure...as though that is different.)
by Stargazer71
Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:29 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1133: "Up Goer Five"
Replies: 228
Views: 92192

Re: 1133: "Up Goer Five"

A grown chimpanzee has the intelligence of a 4-year old! If you genuinely believe that, it's been a long time since you interacted with any 4-year-olds. The guy is writing his own Graphical Shell because he thinks that Windows is too easy to use...What makes you think that he was having sex 4 years...
by Stargazer71
Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:30 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1132: "Frequentists vs. Bayesians"
Replies: 169
Views: 50027

Re: 1132: "Frequentists vs. Bayesians"

Looks like Randall stayed up late reading Nate Silver's book.

Personally, I doubt that there is a schism among statisticians like what Silver describes in the book. Probability & statistics is a very large field, and misusing any single aspect of it will always get you in trouble.
by Stargazer71
Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:47 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1048: "Emotion"
Replies: 252
Views: 57019

Re: 1048: "Emotion"

rhomboidal wrote:My own map would probably be a wall of yellow.

A growing, towering tsunami of yellow...


No. That's wrong. You are wrong. :wink:
by Stargazer71
Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:26 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1044: “Romney Quiz”
Replies: 213
Views: 58841

Re: 1044: “Romney Quiz”

The joke subtly lies in the statement: "Is there even a difference??" ... Yes ... yes there is ... The joke (as near as I can tell) is an attempt at irony--making a comparison between two completely different people using quotes that are incredibly easy to distinguish from one another. A g...
by Stargazer71
Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:57 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0940: "Oversight"
Replies: 103
Views: 42469

Re: 0940: "Oversight"

Leave it to Randall to make me feel awkward looking at a bunch of stick figures at work.
by Stargazer71
Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:16 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0930: "Days of the Week"
Replies: 126
Views: 28684

Re: 0930: "Days of the Week"

I think my favorite part about this one is how (based on the "<x> sucked!" line), Tuesday and Wednesday are the best days of the week.

Who'd 'a thunk it?
by Stargazer71
Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:04 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0783: "I Don't Want Directions"
Replies: 193
Views: 38211

Re: "I Don't Want Directions" discussion (#783)

Oh me yarm, I had the exact opposite once. I was talking with an older person on the phone, and she asked for directions, so I went to MapQuest to get the names of the roads. After about 15 minutes of listing off roads, she said (and I quote), "Ok, that sounds great! I've also got a GPS, so I t...

Go to advanced search