Search found 515 matches

by Vash
Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:27 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: In other news... (humorous news items)
Replies: 15142
Views: 2623159

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

That's right, didn't notice that. Brits say lorry.
by Vash
Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:58 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Polygamy
Replies: 400
Views: 48209

Re: Polygamy

So let's now lets say the father is in a coma at the time. Now what happens? How the hell does that fall under #2? You failed. As things currently work, marriage is a great legal thing, but it is only available for those who want it if they they happen to have the right genes (though interracial ma...
by Vash
Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:49 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: In other news... (humorous news items)
Replies: 15142
Views: 2623159

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Over-reaction much? The only "danger" was to himself, and damage done to the landscape pales in comparison to the damage done by thousands of ramblers tramping up and down it all the time. But no! He must hang for this outrage! Bring out the boiling oil! I was confused the entire time abo...
by Vash
Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:21 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: So, about all of those drug-addled welfare queens...
Replies: 322
Views: 30157

Re: So, about all of those drug-addled welfare queens...

Quinoa contains a complete amino acid profile; fruits and vegetables are included in the everything else, and typically consumed raw (after peeling). I will eat chicken if I eat out, which happens approximately once or twice a month. I have been doing a diet roughly like this for several years, and...
by Vash
Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:30 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0936: "Password Strength"
Replies: 893
Views: 314172

Re: 0936: "Password Strength"

TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:I was making a point with sarcasm, but whatever you were trying to contest wasn't it.


Yeah, I wanted to correct that. I think I know your point now.
by Vash
Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:50 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: So, about all of those drug-addled welfare queens...
Replies: 322
Views: 30157

Re: So, about all of those drug-addled welfare queens...

Just to be sure, you eat for 70 dollars a month? Could you relay post some sample meals, please? Yes. Here are some sample meals: Boil water. Add pasta. Wait. Drain water. Sprinkle with seasoned salt. Consume. Mix water, yeast, salt, flour. Let rise, then store in fridge. Cut off portion, shape int...
by Vash
Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:41 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0936: "Password Strength"
Replies: 893
Views: 314172

Re: 0936: "Password Strength"

TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:Ahh, fuck. Yeah, I totally retract that completely serious and not ironic post.


I was contesting the point you seemed to be making with sarcasm, but if you were making no point, then I suppose I stand corrected.
by Vash
Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:33 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0936: "Password Strength"
Replies: 893
Views: 314172

Re: 0936: "Password Strength"

Yes, I'm sure that Randall read that article in 2007 and then sat on it for four years in order to plagiarize that god-awful explanation of a well-understood idea. I don't know if that's the only place it has been explained. It is always possible for someone to read something, forget about reading ...
by Vash
Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:44 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Unedited Wikileaks cables accidentally leaked
Replies: 53
Views: 10045

Re: Unedited Wikileaks cables accidentally leaked

NonSequitur wrote:So the rest of the cat is out of the bag. I like how they came to this decision by polling their twitter followers. More organizations should take advantage of the objective, levelheaded advice offered by the twitterverse.


This is fucking insane. How could he make this official?
by Vash
Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:17 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0898: "Chain of Command"
Replies: 73
Views: 20063

Re: 0898: "Chain of Command"

Siguy wrote:This comic had to have been inspired by this recent Onion article.


If I were Obama, I would have already launched all nukes at once.
by Vash
Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:20 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: DOJ sues AT&T over pending T-Mobile "merger"
Replies: 7
Views: 1543

Re: DOJ sues AT&T over pending T-Mobile "merger"

AT&T is awful. This would suck. Hooray.
by Vash
Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:34 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0945: "I'm Sorry"
Replies: 120
Views: 28743

Re: 0945: "I'm Sorry"

This is something I can get behind.
by Vash
Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:55 am UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Polygamy
Replies: 400
Views: 48209

Re: Polygamy

Take note: I overstated my point in this probably, but I don't really want to rewrite it. I suspect that I'm not convincing you more because of your un-convincibility than because of my lack of rhetorical skill. Our basic beliefs and assumptions are different, and so we are very unlikely to actually...
by Vash
Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:29 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: So, about all of those drug-addled welfare queens...
Replies: 322
Views: 30157

Re: So, about all of those drug-addled welfare queens...

Holy canoli. Smashed. That's not just low, that's much lower than in the general population. I don't understand why people think that withholding payment is an effective treatment for drug addiction, anyway. There are addicts who live in absolute squalor with no assistance the world over. In fact, i...
by Vash
Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:15 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Unedited Wikileaks cables accidentally leaked
Replies: 53
Views: 10045

Re: Unedited Wikileaks cables accidentally leaked

This isn't douchebaggery. This is monstrous.
by Vash
Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:56 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: IMF Chief arrested in New York for attempted rape
Replies: 610
Views: 54069

Re: IMF Chief arrested in New York for attempted rape

Julian Assange being an example, unless there is other information in the case that I don't have access to. Like the fact that he basically admitted to it ? Their defensive line basically consists of "well, yes, I totally had sex with those women despite the fact that they were objecting and, ...
by Vash
Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:36 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Animal Rights?
Replies: 283
Views: 34229

Re: Animal Rights?

The only way I can parse that is 'where I am from, feral dogs terrorize people, so sometimes we chase them off'. Otherwise, PeterCai is weird. Even if that is the case, he didn't characterize it as chasing off dangerous threats, but just as "chasing and beating wild dogs with sticks and stones...
by Vash
Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:33 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: IMF Chief arrested in New York for attempted rape
Replies: 610
Views: 54069

Re: IMF Chief arrested in New York for attempted rape

I hadn't heard of that. Of course, I was quite young when Clinton was in office, and I'm not defending him. Sounds like there are some really good reasons to believe that he may have raped someone. If he were running for office today, and I were an American, I would not vote for him. Not th...
by Vash
Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:59 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Polygamy
Replies: 400
Views: 48209

Re: Polygamy

All the arguments against legal polygamy that I've seen boil down to "I don't think it would work well, so you're not allowed to try it." TristanC, it does not make any sense whatsoever to base the current institution of marriage on what it has been historically, because what it has been ...
by Vash
Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:08 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: IMF Chief arrested in New York for attempted rape
Replies: 610
Views: 54069

Re: IMF Chief arrested in New York for attempted rape

jules.lt wrote:For men, there's a correlation between self-reported number of sexual partners and rape, though (however, US data only, if I recall).

Applying population statistics to judge an individual is... ill-advised.[/quote]

We use general rules all the time to judge people. This is no different.
by Vash
Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:40 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: IMF Chief arrested in New York for attempted rape
Replies: 610
Views: 54069

Re: IMF Chief arrested in New York for attempted rape

And he was head of a institution that basically glorified sexual harassment of women under your supervision, and he was head of the institution for three years - and did nothing about it at all. Well, actually, he did. He participated in it. Well that certainly makes the point. I'll look back into ...
by Vash
Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:40 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Movement to help Pedophiles get Psych care
Replies: 63
Views: 7862

Re: Movement to help Pedophiles get Psych care

I'm curious, so please don't kill me for asking this. Is there any reason to define pedophilia as a psychiatric illness, rather than see it in the same way as homosexuality, as 'just the way some people are', other than the obvious moral difference (which shouldn't really come into a scientific def...
by Vash
Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:34 am UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Polygamy
Replies: 400
Views: 48209

Re: Polygamy

Since no one else is, I'll offer a half-hearted defense of enforced monogamy. (From a legal standpoint anyway. I have absolutely no problems with people arranging their sex and social lives however they wish.) Marriage, in the legal sense is a contract that covers several sets of rights and obligat...
by Vash
Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:10 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: IMF Chief arrested in New York for attempted rape
Replies: 610
Views: 54069

Re: IMF Chief arrested in New York for attempted rape

Does he think women are there only for his pleasure, though? Or does he just like sex?
by Vash
Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:20 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Movement to help Pedophiles get Psych care
Replies: 63
Views: 7862

Re: Movement to help Pedophiles get Psych care

To some extent, there is a trade-off between treatment and security (security as in action by some group that uses force). Therapists and organizations differ in how they handle it. Some will report based on any sign of trouble, and others will put more emphasis on treatment as a way to prevent aggr...
by Vash
Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:36 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: XKCD mentioned on Yahoo News!
Replies: 10
Views: 2231

Re: XKCD mentioned on Yahoo News!

sourmìlk wrote:this does not qualify as news. If I wanted to know what was on twitter, I'd watch CNN


That's fucking glorious. I agree so much.

I disagree in that I think it's kind of cool for XKCD to be mentioned in a popular public venue.
by Vash
Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:45 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: IMF Chief arrested in New York for attempted rape
Replies: 610
Views: 54069

Re: IMF Chief arrested in New York for attempted rape

Diadem wrote:
Ulc wrote:A cost I'm willing to pay.

What you mean is: A cost you are willing to let others pay for you.


Damn right.
by Vash
Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:43 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0936: "Password Strength"
Replies: 893
Views: 314172

Re: 0936: "Password Strength"

That is the advice because 1) you can fit more entropy into fewer characters that way, and some sites limit the size of the password you can use, and 2) it is unlikely that a person allowed to choose their own words will pick something with sufficiently high entropy, because we're bad and randomnes...
by Vash
Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:39 am UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Definition of Free Will
Replies: 728
Views: 151940

Re: Definition of Free Will

Although, if that conclusion that our actions are based on the biology and physics within the human body, then wouldn't it be possible to, given enough information, predict what action someone will do? And if that's true, doesn't that imply the existence of 'fate'? Not if things are always somewhat...
by Vash
Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:26 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0936: "Password Strength"
Replies: 893
Views: 314172

Re: 0936: "Password Strength"

The main problem is that the comparison is wrong. It is much better if your password is not a word. That is what the strictest security advice suggests. 1,000 guesses per second is also a drastic underestimate when pretty much anyone can easily buy the hardware and software to do almost 3,000,000 gu...
by Vash
Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:08 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0936: "Password Strength"
Replies: 893
Views: 314172

Re: 0936: "Password Strength"

gmalivuk wrote:Do you have an actual point to contribute?


I have no additional points to contribute.
by Vash
Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:27 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0936: "Password Strength"
Replies: 893
Views: 314172

Re: 0936: "Password Strength"

Looks like Randall Munroe doesn't know a lot about breaking passwords.
by Vash
Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:01 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0941: "Depth Perception"
Replies: 214
Views: 164316

Re: 0941: "Depth Perception"

This comic is pretty cool.
by Vash
Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:51 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Could "The Onion" be a Bad Thing?
Replies: 65
Views: 27906

Re: Could "The Onion" be a Bad Thing?

A lot of folks don't pay no mind to whether somethin is serious or not, especially when they talk 'bout politics. They get'ta say their favorite thing. A couple some'uns really been fooled, though. Those people make a lotta mistakes in the first place. I don't think the Onion is the real problem here.
by Vash
Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:38 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Definition of Free Will
Replies: 728
Views: 151940

Re: Definition of Free Will

It's clear that we don't have free will if free will is naively defined as something non-deterministic yet nonrandom. However, that definition of free will doesn't mean anything. We haven't solved the problem, we've just defined free will as something that cannot logically exist. What's clear is th...
by Vash
Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:16 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0850: "World According To Americans"
Replies: 712
Views: 171930

Re: 0850: "World According To Americans"

SCIENCE IS NOT DONE BY CONSENSUS!!! But, you are right, we should ignore dissenting voices. In that case, I sure hope you are white, as eugenics would have eliminated or heavily reduced other races in the Western world. And I am sure glad we dumped all those extra greenhouse gases, all on top of ne...
by Vash
Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:45 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0850: "World According To Americans"
Replies: 712
Views: 171930

Re: 0850: "World According To Americans"

SCIENCE IS NOT DONE BY CONSENSUS!!! But, you are right, we should ignore dissenting voices. In that case, I sure hope you are white, as eugenics would have eliminated or heavily reduced other races in the Western world. And I am sure glad we dumped all those extra greenhouse gases, all on top of ne...
by Vash
Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:29 am UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Animal Rights?
Replies: 283
Views: 34229

Re: Animal Rights?

Just going to have to retract a statement, given that an animal's existence and experience have value, there is a reason not to kill it.
by Vash
Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:51 am UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Polygamy
Replies: 400
Views: 48209

Re: Polygamy

"You're forcing me to say something actually wise. Fuck you."? What does that mean ? You're mad you feel you've been "forced" to be "wise"? I was stating that in a joking manner. I considered excluding it, but I thought if I laid down arms and admitted my fault podbayd...
by Vash
Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:26 am UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Polygamy
Replies: 400
Views: 48209

Re: Polygamy

The difference between an inherent and a learned trait is not a word game. For example, there are plenty of examples in animals of behaviors that a species instinctively knows vs those it is taught by it's elders, or even by it's domesticating owners. And because you seem to be hung up on it, no on...

Go to advanced search