Search found 617 matches

by Amicitia
Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:11 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Study: Youth see Christians as judgmental, anti-gay
Replies: 128
Views: 10184

Re: Study: Youth see Christians as judgmental, anti-gay

Belial wrote:
Amicitia wrote: sometimes, it's inappropriate to be gay.


:shock:
:x
:cry:

I didn't see that coming.
by Amicitia
Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:48 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Study: Youth see Christians as judgmental, anti-gay
Replies: 128
Views: 10184

Re: Study: Youth see Christians as judgmental, anti-gay

Homosexuality is okay though.
by Amicitia
Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:46 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Study: Youth see Christians as judgmental, anti-gay
Replies: 128
Views: 10184

Re: Study: Youth see Christians as judgmental, anti-gay

damienthebloody wrote:I'm sorry, Amicitia, but when on earth is it inappropriate to be gay?

As someone noted, at funerals. However, I'm pretty sure it's inappropriate to be Amicitia, at all times, and in all places. :D

I find nothing wrong with hypocrisy, and being judgmental is what debates are all about.
by Amicitia
Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:42 am UTC
Forum: Forum Games
Topic: How many forum members does it take to change a lightbulb?
Replies: 47
Views: 6846

Re: How many forum members does it take to change a lightbulb?

No matter, those who wear hats and suits are far more dangerous, i.e., concert musicians, debaters, lawyers.
by Amicitia
Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:32 am UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Students who can't/won't learn
Replies: 95
Views: 8510

Re: Students who can't/won't learn

In high school, I always hated taking required classes like biology. I didn't hate them because I didn't like the subject (I loved the chemistry and cellular side of biology), I hated them because the base level classes were the ones all the kids who don't give a shit take, and they made the classe...
by Amicitia
Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:30 am UTC
Forum: Forum Games
Topic: How many forum members does it take to change a lightbulb?
Replies: 47
Views: 6846

Re: How many forum members does it take to change a lightbulb?

Zero. Raptors cannot change light bulbs.
by Amicitia
Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:23 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Study: Youth see Christians as judgmental, anti-gay
Replies: 128
Views: 10184

Re: Study: Youth see Christians as judgmental, anti-gay

I consider judgmental a good attribute, and hypocritical much maligned one; sometimes, it is inappropriate to be gay.
by Amicitia
Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:17 am UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Students who can't/won't learn
Replies: 95
Views: 8510

Re: Students who can't/won't learn

If I hadn't had like 4 ap's in the span of a few days to study for my Junior year, I could have gotten an 5 on my AP computer science. I'm a computer science major now but I have to slog through CS 101. Although on the bright side, getting an A does help my gpa some. I knew loads who took AP's not ...
by Amicitia
Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:57 am UTC
Forum: School
Topic: Teachers that CAN teach!
Replies: 69
Views: 8562

Re: Teachers that CAN teach!

It wasn't that I didn't like my high school math teachers, some of them were really nice. In most of my other subjects, my teachers/professors have been awesome. And as a contrast, I haven't really had any bad math teachers in college. And I guess I'm still a bit angry I didn't get to go to the seco...
by Amicitia
Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:52 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Won't Someone Think Of The Children?
Replies: 151
Views: 10553

Re: Won't Someone Think Of The Children?

I have no idea why people like to not give a shit about their fellow man. People love to be selfish. "Pull yourself up by your bootstraps," people say. [i]If you don't have a good education and good basic/emergency healthcare, you can't work efficiently[, therefore you have no way to pay ...
by Amicitia
Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:25 am UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Students who can't/won't learn
Replies: 95
Views: 8510

Re: Students who can't/won't learn

But really, I haven't gained much from taking 9 AP tests except a year of college. :wink: I guess you must not have done very well on them, then, to have only gained a single year's worth of credit. My major is requirement-heavy, so it takes a year to do those--plus I have those nasty core requirem...
by Amicitia
Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:56 am UTC
Forum: School
Topic: Teachers that CAN teach!
Replies: 69
Views: 8562

Re: Teachers that CAN teach!

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:
Amicitia wrote:I had this one math class where we learned about math.

Is there ANY reason for you to post this sort of thing? Any reason at all...

It is something very uncommon.
by Amicitia
Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:54 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Teachers With Guns
Replies: 203
Views: 12055

Re: Teachers With Guns

Contrary to common belief, school shootings are a rarity.
by Amicitia
Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:50 am UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Students who can't/won't learn
Replies: 95
Views: 8510

Re: Students who can't/won't learn

Neat. At my high school, most people tended to sneer at those who opted out of an AP course, if that's any indicator. Course, not taking any AP courses didn't stop my friend from getting a job at Google. :roll: Anyone who thinks that academics is the sole route that should be mandatory for all stude...
by Amicitia
Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:36 am UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Students who can't/won't learn
Replies: 95
Views: 8510

Re: Students who can't/won't learn

If there exists such a person, who is unwilling to understand the slightest shred of academics, then wasting capital on them is just preposterous. However, given that most schools have a solid emphasis on academic subjects, as opposed to anything serious in horticulture or cooking, and that someone ...
by Amicitia
Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:28 am UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Students who can't/won't learn
Replies: 95
Views: 8510

Re: Students who can't/won't learn

Can you learn from a textbook? One can learn from textbook, without the aid of a teacher. The classroom is supposed to elaborate on the material in the text, and isn't the place for going through it. Books say "the proof is up to the reader," not "the proof is up to the reader's GSI ...
by Amicitia
Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:17 am UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Students who can't/won't learn
Replies: 95
Views: 8510

Re: Students who can't/won't learn

Every job doesn't need an in-depth knowledge of Conrad, Plato, a foreign language and calculus. Some people would make perfectly good mechanics. Forcing academia upon everyone is just nonsensical. Thing is... it's actually kind of hard to force academia. I mean, yes you can offer a carrot stick sor...
by Amicitia
Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:55 am UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Child-raising
Replies: 46
Views: 5388

Re: Child-raising

Children are dependent on parents, forum members not so much. There is a definite power inequality which you try to look over. No, I'm not looking over it. I'm saying that the parents have a responsibility to use it. Those that don't are harming their children, and have no business being parents. I...
by Amicitia
Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:52 am UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Students who can't/won't learn
Replies: 95
Views: 8510

Re: Students who can't/won't learn

Every job doesn't need an in-depth knowledge of Conrad, Plato, a foreign language and calculus. Some people would make perfectly good mechanics. Forcing academia upon everyone is just nonsensical.
by Amicitia
Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:47 am UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Students who can't/won't learn
Replies: 95
Views: 8510

Re: Students who can't/won't learn

@Amicitia: First, I just wanted to say your avatar suits you. Excessive hysteria and misrepresentation. But, enough of the personal grudges. I posit that there exist students that refuse to learn. These people have no interest in intellectual pursuits or even thinking. They may have been raised wit...
by Amicitia
Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:46 am UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Students who can't/won't learn
Replies: 95
Views: 8510

Re: Students who can't/won't learn

It actually didn't help much, since I didn't study for the ACT and got a 32. Go figure. You do realize you are not the topic of this thread, don't you? I never considered that attacking my ethos was a topic of this thread either. ¯\(º_o)/¯ And sarcio, I was not aware that this was a thread about th...
by Amicitia
Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:13 am UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Students who can't/won't learn
Replies: 95
Views: 8510

Re: Students who can't/won't learn

It actually didn't help much, since I didn't study for the ACT and got a 32. Go figure.
by Amicitia
Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:07 am UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Child-raising
Replies: 46
Views: 5388

Re: Child-raising

Children are dependent on parents, forum members not so much. There is a definite power inequality which you try to look over. No, I'm not looking over it. I'm saying that the parents have a responsibility to use it. Those that don't are harming their children, and have no business being parents. I...
by Amicitia
Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:01 am UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Child-raising
Replies: 46
Views: 5388

Re: Child-raising

Children are dependent on parents, forum members not so much. There is a definite power inequality which you try to look over.
by Amicitia
Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:48 am UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Students who can't/won't learn
Replies: 95
Views: 8510

Re: Students who can't/won't learn

Senior slump in America is a great example of students choosing not to learn. Specifically, Senior slump (for non Americans) refers to when the students have already been accepted by certain colleges. At this point, there's no reason to study hard if all you care about is grades so that you can get...
by Amicitia
Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:43 am UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Child-raising
Replies: 46
Views: 5388

Re: Child-raising

Which is why all kids grow up to be good people!
by Amicitia
Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:39 am UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Students who can't/won't learn
Replies: 95
Views: 8510

Re: Students who can't/won't learn

Students respond to incentives, like anyone else. What do you expect? A body of students deeply interested in the course material?
by Amicitia
Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:33 am UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Students who can't/won't learn
Replies: 95
Views: 8510

Re: Students who can't/won't learn

In the U.S., a fixed curriculum is strictly enforced, and students who want to go to a university need to take specific courses--for the University of California, there's an a-g requirements that most students must fulfill. Additionally, most colleges enforce that students need to take calculus, and...
by Amicitia
Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:26 am UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Students who can't/won't learn
Replies: 95
Views: 8510

Re: Students who can't learn

Students interested in the material will get more out of a class than students uninterested in the material.
by Amicitia
Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:25 am UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Child-raising
Replies: 46
Views: 5388

Re: Child-raising

zenten wrote:
Amicitia wrote:Doesn't such "molding" ignore the agency of the child?


No more than trying to convince someone on a web forum that your point of view is right is ignoring the agency of the other poster.

Parents have power over their children.
by Amicitia
Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:21 am UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Students who can't/won't learn
Replies: 95
Views: 8510

Re: Students who can't learn

I find it rather presumptuous to assume the existence of "students who cannot learn," as there's not much backing it. Perhaps there are students who cannot learn in such an environment as they currently reside in . I think this statement rebuts itself. It doesn't really. At worst, it's sl...
by Amicitia
Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:08 am UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Students who can't/won't learn
Replies: 95
Views: 8510

Re: Students who can't learn

I find it rather presumptuous to assume the existence of "students who cannot learn," as there's nothing supporting such an assertion. I'd propose that there are students who, in such an environment as they currently reside in, under-preform.
by Amicitia
Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:54 am UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Students who can't/won't learn
Replies: 95
Views: 8510

Re: Students who can't learn

They're taught to ingest and regurgitate facts Sure, English, maybe History, possibly science classes depending on how they are taught. But algebra, geometry, calculus? You have no argument. I don't consider giving a student a table of integrals and telling them to memorize it proper coverage of ca...
by Amicitia
Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:44 am UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Students who can't/won't learn
Replies: 95
Views: 8510

Re: Students who can't learn

Bakemaster wrote:Title proposal for Amicitia:
/FOE

Topicality?
by Amicitia
Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:41 am UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Students who can't/won't learn
Replies: 95
Views: 8510

Re: Students who can't learn

They're taught to ingest and regurgitate facts Sure, English, maybe History, possibly science classes depending on how they are taught. But algebra, geometry, calculus? You have no argument. I don't consider giving a student a table of integrals and telling them to memorize it proper coverage of ca...
by Amicitia
Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:33 am UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Students who can't/won't learn
Replies: 95
Views: 8510

Re: Students who can't learn

Students have to learn things which they have no interest in, and which they really don't need to know. This is an administrative concern. I agree. We should just teach students enough to make change for bread, and to drive to circuses. They're taught to ingest and regurgitate facts, I don't see th...
by Amicitia
Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:19 am UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Students who can't/won't learn
Replies: 95
Views: 8510

Re: Students who can't learn

Also, not listening in class can often increase your grade. For who exactly? Please, I'd like you to give an example of this. English, political science, economics, algebra, geometry, trigonometry, calculus and linear algebra for a start. I can't stand the cookbook methods teachers use. Good textbo...
by Amicitia
Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:04 am UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Students who can't/won't learn
Replies: 95
Views: 8510

Re: Students who can't learn

Also, not listening in class can often increase your grade.
by Amicitia
Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:51 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Students who can't/won't learn
Replies: 95
Views: 8510

Re: Students who can't learn

It's the teacher's fault for not teaching lucidly. Also, GSIs have been known for been really shitty. Of course. It is always the teacher's fault for students not comprehending the material. Ever think that maybe, just maybe the student just is not able to grasp the concept? Maybe the teacher has t...
by Amicitia
Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:46 pm UTC
Forum: School
Topic: Teachers that CAN teach!
Replies: 69
Views: 8562

Re: Teachers that CAN teach!

I had this one math class where we learned about math.

Go to advanced search