Search found 601 matches

by Yuri2356
Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:45 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: What's the average IQ of an atheist?
Replies: 157
Views: 21565

Re: What's the average IQ of an atheist?

Well, from how I see it, you can't prove the Bible is right, but you can't prove it's wrong either. (keep in mind I have a whole other ball of yarn on 6-day creation.) That is to say, scientifically. To prove something scientifically, you have to actually see evidence. Since there are no recorded i...
by Yuri2356
Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:03 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: AI rebellion
Replies: 140
Views: 10323

Re: AI rebellion

What will we do once the robots start wearing Faraday cages? Armour piercing explosively pumped flux compression generating grenades. APEPFCGG for short. Using some form of futuristic supercapacitor with an exceptionally high charge, which gets charged shortly before firing. Comes with a small time...
by Yuri2356
Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:01 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: AI rebellion
Replies: 140
Views: 10323

Re: AI rebellion

Also: if said AI gets onto the internet*, we're fucked. Unless we wipe every computer attached to the internet near-simultaneously. gets onto the internet, being, figures out how to replicate itself. Because being a computer means that all forms of information security simply case to exist, and gra...
by Yuri2356
Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:43 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: AI rebellion
Replies: 140
Views: 10323

Re: AI rebellion

Guns? Explosives? You know, the stuff we're using to destroy engines of war right fucking now.
by Yuri2356
Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:57 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: What's the average IQ of an atheist?
Replies: 157
Views: 21565

Re: What's the average IQ of an atheist?

I would guess atheists that came from religious families would show a higher IQ because changing your worldview radically takes intelligence. Of course, I'd expect the same IQ bump from people whose families were irreligious and who became closer to G-d. So rather than "atheists are smarter, s...
by Yuri2356
Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:14 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: What's the average IQ of an atheist?
Replies: 157
Views: 21565

Re: What's the average IQ of an atheist?

On the one hand, you have existence owing to chance - if any one of dozens of factors was just a little bit different, we would not exist. Both are pretty ridiculous when you think about them. If we did not exist, we wouldn't be here to ponder how incredibly unlikely we are. There's no one to speak...
by Yuri2356
Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:23 pm UTC
Forum: Gaming
Topic: Most annoying level themes
Replies: 99
Views: 8209

Re: Most annoying level themes

And sometimes ice levels are done well. I've never seen a water component to an otherwise surface-based game done well. Outside of Spore. And that was the only fun part of the game. And I'd have just rather played flOw instead. Meridia in Super Metroid wasn't that bad, was it? Meridia's water was n...
by Yuri2356
Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:58 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: The radical idea that women are people
Replies: 3259
Views: 302891

Re: Feminism (split from 'nfessions)

As for Roosevelt - I dunno if he could walk or not (if that's what you're talking about) - I'm Australian :P He was crippled by polio, as I recall. Though for the most part his PR tried to draw attention away from that. Especially one with all sorts of negative connotations attached to it, Because ...
by Yuri2356
Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:19 am UTC
Forum: Gaming
Topic: It's been done, but I want to do a meta-RPG.
Replies: 40
Views: 3384

Re: It's been done, but I want to do a meta-RPG.

Aikanaro wrote:Well, right off the bat, Travis Touchdown and Kratos come to mind as Heroic Sociopaths....granted, not in RPGs....

Murder-lovin' heroes are a dime a dozen. There's far more to crazy than "I stab things."
by Yuri2356
Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:59 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: The radical idea that women are people
Replies: 3259
Views: 302891

Re: Fleeting/Random/Thoughts (now with 20% more fungus!)

And see, I'm already fucking up as I've got a Man's Concern in the front on the street, a Universal but mostly Female concern going on in the back alley out of sight. ...because women are often openly raped in the streets? The methaphor is fine as it stands, because from the complaining man's persp...
by Yuri2356
Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:40 am UTC
Forum: Gaming
Topic: Most annoying level themes
Replies: 99
Views: 8209

Re: Most annoying level themes

The thread is kind of on a tangent here and I can't think of any annoying level themes that haven't been mentioned yet, or I'd make a token effort at getting it back on track. Sorry. While we're talking about Zelda, how about we figure out why tutorials always have to be so damn annoying? I mean, f...
by Yuri2356
Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:37 am UTC
Forum: Gaming
Topic: It's been done, but I want to do a meta-RPG.
Replies: 40
Views: 3384

Re: It's been done, but I want to do a meta-RPG.

Basically, because you're so pissed off with the world, you want it ALL to burn, and resurrecting Satan is a good way to accomplish it. Why would you destroy the world, the villain's equivalent of pouting and shoving the chessboard off the table, when you could rule it and humiliate everyone who wr...
by Yuri2356
Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:50 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: The Average Geek
Replies: 46
Views: 6232

Re: The Average Geek

My personal setup - Nerd: Academic/Intellectual person. Geek: Extreme hobbyist, highly knowledgable and experienced regarding something and fucking loves it . Usually something unconventional. Dork: Socially innept person. May be reclusive and introverted. None of these terms, as I use them, are mut...
by Yuri2356
Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:36 am UTC
Forum: Gaming
Topic: It's been done, but I want to do a meta-RPG.
Replies: 40
Views: 3384

Re: It's been done, but I want to do a meta-RPG.

Hmmm, evil protagonist, who gets to BE evil, and it can affect the storyline? A friend mentioned Tecmo's Deception to me......basically, you're a prince of a kingdom, with a hot fiancee. Your evil brother killed your dad and framed you for it. At the moment of your execution, you called out to Sata...
by Yuri2356
Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:45 pm UTC
Forum: Gaming
Topic: Most annoying level themes
Replies: 99
Views: 8209

Re: Most annoying level themes

Well, if you need to kill it by feeding it bombs, and the stomach is still there to be harvested when you butcher the thing, doesn't that imply that the sack itself can survive bomb blasts?
by Yuri2356
Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:13 pm UTC
Forum: Gaming
Topic: Most annoying level themes
Replies: 99
Views: 8209

Re: Most annoying level themes

2: The bomb bag is apparently made from a dodongo's stomach....because we ALL know just how WONDERFUL a dodongo's stomach is at holding bombs without taking horrible life-threatening amounts of damage to the organism holding said stomach :? How many organisms do you know of that can survive the det...
by Yuri2356
Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:10 pm UTC
Forum: Gaming
Topic: Most annoying level themes
Replies: 99
Views: 8209

Re: Most annoying level themes

2: The bomb bag is apparently made from a dodongo's stomach....because we ALL know just how WONDERFUL a dodongo's stomach is at holding bombs without taking horrible life-threatening amounts of damage to the organism holding said stomach :? How many organisms do you know of that can survive the det...
by Yuri2356
Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:17 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: The Average Geek
Replies: 46
Views: 6232

Re: The Average Geek

Yesterday this conversation happened: Me: [Waffles on about engineering topic], oh and then you have vector calculus to contend with. Person: We covered vectors two weeks ago, they're alright. Me: No, Calculus on Vectors. Person: What? Me: Calculus on vector quantities in 3d space. Person: eek! Me:...
by Yuri2356
Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:57 am UTC
Forum: Gaming
Topic: The Logical and Ethical Shortcomings of the Pokémon Games...
Replies: 223
Views: 22104

Re: The Logical and Ethical Shortcomings of the Pokémon Games...

Cubone skull: It's metaphorical and/or like mitochondrial DNA. A metaphorical plainly visible hollowed-out skull that the it wears as a fucking hat . A metaphor, as a literal statement. Office, Submarine. It's ok to just say "This thing makes no fucking sense." No one will burn you for it.
by Yuri2356
Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:30 pm UTC
Forum: Gaming
Topic: You gotta get into Dwarf Fortress if you haven't already.
Replies: 4596
Views: 692445

Re: You gotta get into Dwarf Fortress if you haven't already.

If you really want to be safe about it, just contrive a way for your last tile dug to be a channel. Much easier to secure those against leaks.
by Yuri2356
Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:28 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Facts you won't accept
Replies: 85
Views: 7961

Re: Facts you won't accept

SecondTalon wrote:what a star would taste like if I were capable of eating plasma and withstanding the heat?

Presumably, sort of like ordinary hydrogen/Helium gas. Just hotter.
by Yuri2356
Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:12 pm UTC
Forum: Gaming
Topic: You gotta get into Dwarf Fortress if you haven't already.
Replies: 4596
Views: 692445

Re: You gotta get into Dwarf Fortress if you haven't already.

Well I suppose you could pit the cage, connect it to a lever, and then free the magma man in the lower level sewer of the water system. Thing is, the cage needs to be constructed to be hooked to a lever, which means it needs to be somewhere dwarf-accessible. Not that this can't be done, but it does...
by Yuri2356
Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:29 pm UTC
Forum: Movies and TV Shows
Topic: Mystery Science Theater 3000 (MST3K)
Replies: 37
Views: 4987

Re: Mystery Science Theater 3000 (MST3K)

Since it didn't get mentioned here yet - Joel, Josh (Season 1 Tom), Trace (Dr F and Crow), Frank (Frank), and Mary-Jo (Pearl) have their own riffing series going now as Cinematic Titanic . They're up to Five episodes now and release on an almost-monthly basis. Can be purchased as DVDs or Direct Down...
by Yuri2356
Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:33 pm UTC
Forum: Gaming
Topic: You gotta get into Dwarf Fortress if you haven't already.
Replies: 4596
Views: 692445

Re: You gotta get into Dwarf Fortress if you haven't already.

Jar'O'Jam wrote:People keep mentioning 3D-version. Where can I get it ?

You're already looking at it.

X, Y, Z, bitches.
by Yuri2356
Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:22 pm UTC
Forum: Gaming
Topic: You gotta get into Dwarf Fortress if you haven't already.
Replies: 4596
Views: 692445

Re: You gotta get into Dwarf Fortress if you haven't already.

Meteorswarm wrote:Also, does something like this collapse? (# are walls, side view)

Code: Select all

#######
  # #
  # #
  ###


Yeah, you can make things hang like that, as long as the top is connected to something.
by Yuri2356
Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:55 am UTC
Forum: Gaming
Topic: You gotta get into Dwarf Fortress if you haven't already.
Replies: 4596
Views: 692445

Re: You gotta get into Dwarf Fortress if you haven't already.

I'm in the middle of making an obidian-factory, with an aqauduct leading water to the magma source. I do have a question, though - do you guys know if you can make water disappear off the map by leading it to a channeled square on the edge of the map? I think I heard about it once, but I can't reme...
by Yuri2356
Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:34 pm UTC
Forum: Gaming
Topic: You gotta get into Dwarf Fortress if you haven't already.
Replies: 4596
Views: 692445

Re: You gotta get into Dwarf Fortress if you haven't already.

I'm pretty sure it way made nonlethal at some point around the switch to 3D.
by Yuri2356
Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:39 pm UTC
Forum: Gaming
Topic: You gotta get into Dwarf Fortress if you haven't already.
Replies: 4596
Views: 692445

Re: You gotta get into Dwarf Fortress if you haven't already.

I'm sort of holding out for alternatives to wooden beds, like hammocks. (Cloth + Rope + adjacent wall(s))
by Yuri2356
Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:30 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Facts you won't accept
Replies: 85
Views: 7961

Re: Facts you won't accept

That members of certain groups with which I don't agree are anything but malicious, idiotic, or insane.
by Yuri2356
Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:19 pm UTC
Forum: Gaming
Topic: You gotta get into Dwarf Fortress if you haven't already.
Replies: 4596
Views: 692445

Re: You gotta get into Dwarf Fortress if you haven't already.

Forget waterways. Real Dwarves fill their wells by hand.
by Yuri2356
Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:31 pm UTC
Forum: Gaming
Topic: xkcd The Truely Open Game - is this awesome y/n?
Replies: 55
Views: 4930

Re: xkcd The Truely Open Game - is this awesome y/n?

There was an Idea getting discussed around here some time ago for a sort of "Groundhog Day" style adventure game, that consists of you reliving the same slice of time, each time trying different things in order to gather information and solve puzzles and the like.
by Yuri2356
Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:14 pm UTC
Forum: Gaming
Topic: D&D: Monty Hall memories
Replies: 18
Views: 2653

Re: D&D: Monty Hall memories

D&D =/= Dwarf Fortress. Homebrew. It works, bitches. I WANT TO HEAR ABOUT YOUR CRAZY MONTY HALL, CHARACTERS, EQ, SPELLS, ADVENTURES, ETC!!! An amorphous blob composed of the very fabric of spacetime make a desperate attempt to contain a stray pocket of absolute chaos which budded off of the pre...
by Yuri2356
Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:56 pm UTC
Forum: Gaming
Topic: D&D: Monty Hall memories
Replies: 18
Views: 2653

Re: D&D: Monty Hall memories

Or just set up shop and wait for the fort to emo itself to death...
by Yuri2356
Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:06 pm UTC
Forum: Gaming
Topic: If you were a NPC, what would you say
Replies: 77
Views: 6373

Re: If you were a NPC, what would you say

Schala Lives.
by Yuri2356
Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:04 pm UTC
Forum: Gaming
Topic: Taking it seriously: The zombie problem
Replies: 1713
Views: 212310

Re: Taking it seriously: The zombie problem

Re: how to kill them. The two basic versions are that you either need to destroy the brain, or kill it like you kill an ordinary human (optionally, they may be able to sustain more injuries than a normal human, but in essence they die if beaten enough on). In either case, destroying the brain satis...
by Yuri2356
Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:24 pm UTC
Forum: Gaming
Topic: It's been done, but I want to do a meta-RPG.
Replies: 40
Views: 3384

Re: It's been done, but I want to do a meta-RPG.

Er, wouldn't the meta-RPG be one in which you roleplay as some guy who's playing an RPG?

eg. World of World of Warcraft
by Yuri2356
Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:43 pm UTC
Forum: Gaming
Topic: You gotta get into Dwarf Fortress if you haven't already.
Replies: 4596
Views: 692445

Re: You gotta get into Dwarf Fortress if you haven't already.

Dragons don't fly yet. And they're quite fireproofed either...
by Yuri2356
Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:47 pm UTC
Forum: Gaming
Topic: You gotta get into Dwarf Fortress if you haven't already.
Replies: 4596
Views: 692445

Re: You gotta get into Dwarf Fortress if you haven't already.

Exactly how do all the traps work? I understand that stone/ cage traps work by just being activated by a passing enemy (or insane dwarf), but what about weapon traps? Do they have a range and do they need to be lever/push plate operated? Does the range change based upon putting say... crossbows ins...
by Yuri2356
Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:06 pm UTC
Forum: Gaming
Topic: Bloodline Dwarf Fortress game - Done.
Replies: 239
Views: 19558

Re: Bloodline Dwarf Fortress game

This will take a while. It took over an hour just to play the first fortnight.
by Yuri2356
Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:56 pm UTC
Forum: Movies and TV Shows
Topic: Enjoying bad movies
Replies: 50
Views: 6143

Re: Enjoying bad movies

22/7 wrote:For flat out worst (semi-well-known) film ever, I might submit Turkish Star Wars (the actual title of the film eludes me).

I don't know what the original Turkish is, but I beleive it means "The Man Who Saves the World."

Go to advanced search