Search found 478 matches

by iamspen
Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:11 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: California Considering Law to Ban "Gay Conversion" Therapies
Replies: 84
Views: 11131

Re: California Considering Law to Ban "Gay Conversion" Thera

Ormurinn wrote:If homosexual sex education is that important to some parents, THEY can pay to have their children educated in a more liberal environment.


THEY already do, assuming THEY pay taxes.
by iamspen
Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:07 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: New York Mayor wants to ban fountain sodas over 16oz
Replies: 315
Views: 31913

Re: New York Mayor wants to ban fountain sodas over 16oz

Can I refer back to the parts in this thread where I used the words, "paradigm shift?" Besides which, American nutritional education is bottom-of-the-barrel, and in many cases doesn't exist at all, and saying, "Being obese is unhealthy," is not the same as saying, "FAT PEOPL...
by iamspen
Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:02 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: BBC asserts link between marijuana and lung cancer
Replies: 34
Views: 8464

Re: BBC asserts link between marijuana and lung cancer

Cars are already subject to emissions regulations, and I would support stronger regulations, including zero-emissions for carcinogens. Backyard barbecues are another matter, and I agree the government should not in general prevent people from having fires on their own property. Nonetheless, in circ...
by iamspen
Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:50 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: New York Mayor wants to ban fountain sodas over 16oz
Replies: 315
Views: 31913

Re: New York Mayor wants to ban fountain sodas over 16oz

Health care for the obese will be obscenely expensive. And if you're going to ask me to cite a source to show you why increased demand for health care for the obese, even if the up-front costs are borne exclusively by them, will cause everyone else's health care costs to rise, I will refer you to a...
by iamspen
Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:10 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: My quest for Excommunication
Replies: 309
Views: 33035

Re: My quest for Excommunication

On the whole Happy Holiday's vs Merry Christmas thing. You wanting me to say Happy Holidays or you saying Happy Holidays to me is inflicting your atheist beliefs onto me. Huh? No, not even close. "Happy holidays," isn't even a secularist phrase. (I don't think, "Merry Christmas,"...
by iamspen
Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:31 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: U.S. Republican Primary
Replies: 2855
Views: 306084

Re: U.S. Republican Primary

Oh, save us from an election without the Democrats and Republicans being viable! (sarcasm) Though your revulsion for our current political parties is felt mutually by me, it's interesting to note that those aren't the only possible political parties, and they were not specified in my previous post....
by iamspen
Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:13 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: New York Mayor wants to ban fountain sodas over 16oz
Replies: 315
Views: 31913

Re: New York Mayor wants to ban fountain sodas over 16oz

If you think there are normative costs to obesity, speak up. For economic costs, you've got to do better than "it drives up demand for goods that I buy," that makes everything a harmful cost worthy of being regulated. NO, IT DOESN'T. Obesity is a public health problem. Are you really not ...
by iamspen
Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:52 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Inadmissible evidence
Replies: 26
Views: 6324

Re: Inadmissible evidence

I feel like here in the US, your tape example would create a situation in which it would be very easy for the judge to declare a mistrial, and then it'd have to be done all over again with a different judge and a different jury.
by iamspen
Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:00 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: U.S. Republican Primary
Replies: 2855
Views: 306084

Re: U.S. Republican Primary

That doesn't really make any sense to me. The costs for your ideal government would be near constant and wouldn't fluctuate much. You wouldn't want the courts to be shut down during recessions, or the lights turned off at the whitehouse, no? Even assuming it'd be plausible, you'd need something lik...
by iamspen
Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:10 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: U.S. Republican Primary
Replies: 2855
Views: 306084

Re: U.S. Republican Primary

The reasoning behind *that* distinction is that disease and injury and old age are problems of nature, that can be addressed by pure reason to the satisfaction of the individual, and without regard for the welfare of the "enemy." The degree to which that doesn't make sense is astounding. ...
by iamspen
Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:22 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: U.S. Republican Primary
Replies: 2855
Views: 306084

Re: U.S. Republican Primary

Oh I know the actual benefits of a federally run military. I was more wondering how "privatize/return to the states ALL THE THINGS" and "ensure that we have a ginormous military" are logically compatible. It's essentially a giant social program, providing physical defense from e...
by iamspen
Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:57 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1063: "Kill Hitler"
Replies: 278
Views: 69256

Re: 1063: "Kill Hitler"

Neutrinos must exist, because how else could you reconfigure the deflector dish to fire a neutrino beam to close spacetime anomolies?
by iamspen
Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:38 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: BBC asserts link between marijuana and lung cancer
Replies: 34
Views: 8464

Re: BBC asserts link between marijuana and lung cancer

Frequent, yes, but a puff of secondhand smoke in a park isn't detrimental to your health at all. A crowded bar full of smoke in which you spend 3-4 hours a week? Yeah, that isn't good for you. My point is, if releasing carcinogens and toxins into the atmosphere is a criminal act, the entirely of hum...
by iamspen
Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:31 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: BBC asserts link between marijuana and lung cancer
Replies: 34
Views: 8464

Re: BBC asserts link between marijuana and lung cancer

Qaanol wrote:I have long held the position that the smoking of anything—marijuana, tobacco, etc.—done in public, and also in private homes and businesses where children go, should be outlawed on grounds of the carcinogenic second-hand smoke.


Better not drive a car or have a backyard fire or have a barbeque...
by iamspen
Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:06 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: New York Mayor wants to ban fountain sodas over 16oz
Replies: 315
Views: 31913

Re: New York Mayor wants to ban fountain sodas over 16oz

stuff If you're going to argue an obesity epidemic could possibly be beneficial to society somehow, you should just go sit in a corner somewhere. Edit: I'll rephrase in a less insulting way so I can be proactive about the situation for which I was just reprimanded, but I'll do so without disengenio...
by iamspen
Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:05 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: New York Mayor wants to ban fountain sodas over 16oz
Replies: 315
Views: 31913

Re: New York Mayor wants to ban fountain sodas over 16oz

And again, my intention was to be off-color but not actively insulting, and if I crossed that line, it did indeed taint my argument. As for the rest of your post, we're in complete agreeance. I've said multiple times that the bill in question is pretty much unparallelled idiocy. If the argument had ...
by iamspen
Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:10 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: New York Mayor wants to ban fountain sodas over 16oz
Replies: 315
Views: 31913

Re: New York Mayor wants to ban fountain sodas over 16oz

If there is an actual negative economic effect from obesity (which I've seen evidence on both sides) then sure, it makes more sense for the government to care. But I have a hard time believing that people are for this bill because of the negative economic effects that fat people may or may not have...
by iamspen
Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:46 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: New York Mayor wants to ban fountain sodas over 16oz
Replies: 315
Views: 31913

Re: New York Mayor wants to ban fountain sodas over 16oz

I'm not sure calling an abnormally large person abnormally large, even humorously, in a conversation specifically about abnormally large people necessarily has that connotation. Was my choice of words tactful? Not at all. But I don't think it equates to seeing someone at Burger King and yelling, &qu...
by iamspen
Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:34 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1065: "Shoes"
Replies: 107
Views: 44314

Re: 1065: "Shoes"

I never heel strike when I walk... That's actually how our feet evolved to work. Walking on our heels only came about after the invention of adequate footwear. Anyone who's skeptical of this need only pay attention to how they walk next time they're barefoot, and compare it to how they walk when we...
by iamspen
Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:31 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: U.S. Republican Primary
Replies: 2855
Views: 306084

Re: U.S. Republican Primary

Heisenberg wrote:Good thing nobody's doing that, then.

STRAWMAN DEFEATED!


Steroid was.

...

Come to think of it, your post was almost entirely accurate, after all.
by iamspen
Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:29 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: New York Mayor wants to ban fountain sodas over 16oz
Replies: 315
Views: 31913

Re: New York Mayor wants to ban fountain sodas over 16oz

Adam H wrote:Because I like sodas.


And I like beer, and drink far, far more of it than the average American, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't work to reduce alcoholism.
by iamspen
Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:46 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: New York Mayor wants to ban fountain sodas over 16oz
Replies: 315
Views: 31913

Re: New York Mayor wants to ban fountain sodas over 16oz

Please give me one good argument as to why the government has any right to care about someone being fat. Because you've repeatedly ignored my answers to this question, I say again: BECAUSE HEALTH EPIDEMICS ARE DETRIMENTAL TO SOCIETY. It's not just the people who are fat who have their (potentially ...
by iamspen
Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:26 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: New York Mayor wants to ban fountain sodas over 16oz
Replies: 315
Views: 31913

Re: New York Mayor wants to ban fountain sodas over 16oz

And for every person who goes to college in America that's so much more I'll have spend to send my kids to school, every person who does not starve themself to death drives up my food costs, those assholes! Price equilibria are not externalities, regardless of whether or not you approve of the cons...
by iamspen
Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:09 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: New York Mayor wants to ban fountain sodas over 16oz
Replies: 315
Views: 31913

Re: New York Mayor wants to ban fountain sodas over 16oz

Note that all of those costs you're highlighting are borne by the obese people themselves. That means it's not an economic drain, it's an efficient level of obesity. You can call any activity a massive economic drain: Look at the billions of hours of productivity that are lost by people watching TV...
by iamspen
Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:02 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: U.S. Republican Primary
Replies: 2855
Views: 306084

Re: U.S. Republican Primary

Bush publically financed Wall Street after its fuckups caused a really quite epic collapse, but nobody's calling him a leftist. Further, the US government owned GM for all of like a couple minutes. It's not like they renamed it the White House Motor Company or anything, they just wanted to be sure i...
by iamspen
Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:18 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1065: "Shoes"
Replies: 107
Views: 44314

Re: 1065: "Shoes"

cjmcjmcjmcjm wrote:Smart car.


Unless it's the late smart Roadster, that thing was bitchin'.
by iamspen
Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:59 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: New York Mayor wants to ban fountain sodas over 16oz
Replies: 315
Views: 31913

Re: New York Mayor wants to ban fountain sodas over 16oz

Our argument is that cheap sugar A is bad for consumption, why would we look at what would happen if sugar B got cheaper? That won't help at all with the obesity epidemic. Clearly, you're in bed with Brazil's Big Sugar. Oh, sure, you could take a tangential conversation and apply it directly to the...
by iamspen
Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:33 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: New York Mayor wants to ban fountain sodas over 16oz
Replies: 315
Views: 31913

Re: New York Mayor wants to ban fountain sodas over 16oz

You guys are missing the most prominent factor in the prolifieration of HFCS: government price-fixing for American sugar, and its ban on cheaper imported sugar.
by iamspen
Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:08 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: New York Mayor wants to ban fountain sodas over 16oz
Replies: 315
Views: 31913

Re: New York Mayor wants to ban fountain sodas over 16oz

darkone238 wrote:I still have yet to see a valid argument as to why one person being fat has any bearing on anyone else.


Because unless one is sufficiently fat, no man is an island, and a consistently unhealthy society will affect even those who are in peak physical health.
by iamspen
Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:44 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: A small, specific question about libertarianism
Replies: 667
Views: 77427

Re: A small, specific question about libertarianism

Yeah, I tend to use hyperbole a lot, but I try to use it deftly and in such a manner that it's obviously an exaggeration. Obviously, this is not an exact science. ;) It's worth noting that I think I have more in common with libertarianism than I have grievances against it, but that which I do disagr...
by iamspen
Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:22 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: A small, specific question about libertarianism
Replies: 667
Views: 77427

Re: A small, specific question about libertarianism

None of the many libertarians I've ever met have been like that, anyway. You've never encountered a libertarian claiming taxes are theft, or one who thinks welfare is fundamentally a bad idea, or who claims businesses should have the right to discriminate (almost always followed by, "even thou...
by iamspen
Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:37 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: A small, specific question about libertarianism
Replies: 667
Views: 77427

Re: A small, specific question about libertarianism

Stuff And you are, of course, not the type of libertarian I'm talking about, because I can clearly have a discussion with you about what kind of tax scheme we should have and you won't go, "NONE, GET OFF MY MONEY!" I'm mainly concerned with the hardcore libertarians who legitimately think...
by iamspen
Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:05 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: My quest for Excommunication
Replies: 309
Views: 33035

Re: My quest for Excommunication

"...your belief is offensive even though it doesn't affect me at all" is ironically forcing YOUR beliefs on THEM for no reason. I am not black, but I retain the right to be offended if I meet one who has an issue with blacks. I am not religious, and so I definitely maintain the right to b...
by iamspen
Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:54 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: U.S. Republican Primary
Replies: 2855
Views: 306084

Re: U.S. Republican Primary

One of those options, though, has the advantage of not collapsing our economy and spinning the majority of our population into a black hole of poverty and illness. But again, half the country disagrees. Of course, it's not so stark as to which one to do, and there are lots of people who think we sh...
by iamspen
Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:50 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: U.S. Republican Primary
Replies: 2855
Views: 306084

Re: U.S. Republican Primary

That is not an easy fix. It has the major difficulty of half the country being dead set against it. I could say that it would be an equally easy fix to cancel Social Security and Medicare, seize the assets of unions, and deregulate and close federal agencies. One of those options, though, has the a...
by iamspen
Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:39 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: A small, specific question about libertarianism
Replies: 667
Views: 77427

Re: A small, specific question about libertarianism

Libertarians are more of that Firefly "right to be wrong" mentality. Many people would be happier suffering from their own mistakes than from someone else's... Of course, the fact that we live in a collective called, "society," and adhere by default to the philosophy that no man...
by iamspen
Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:27 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: New York Mayor wants to ban fountain sodas over 16oz
Replies: 315
Views: 31913

Re: New York Mayor wants to ban fountain sodas over 16oz

My point is that Americans will drink nearly any brown fizzy liquid that comes in a red can, so if the loudspeakers one day told us "Coke is made from aspartame. Coke has always been made from aspartame," everyone except the PKUs would learn to ignore the aftertaste. History would beg to ...
by iamspen
Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:18 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1063: "Kill Hitler"
Replies: 278
Views: 69256

Re: 1063: "Kill Hitler"

What if you do that, and Hitler is still elected into office, except this time he's good Hitler? What if he eventually forms a coalition government with the communists and socialists in the German government? What if that allows an easier alliance with the Soviet Union? You've doomed Western civiliz...
by iamspen
Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:01 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: New York Mayor wants to ban fountain sodas over 16oz
Replies: 315
Views: 31913

Re: New York Mayor wants to ban fountain sodas over 16oz

But there are other options. Let's work on shifting the paradigm away from thinking of soda and fast food as everyday alternatives to more healthy options. Fast food should be considered a.) a special treat for one's kids, or b.) a quick option when one's schedule otherwise disallows anything else. ...
by iamspen
Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:19 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: New York Mayor wants to ban fountain sodas over 16oz
Replies: 315
Views: 31913

Re: New York Mayor wants to ban fountain sodas over 16oz

Ok, so given that consequence, we can work on it by -trying to find a method that will enable people to drink all the soda they can without getting fat. -trying to stop people from drinking all the soda they can. Hence why I suggested standardizing the aspartame sodas, because it's closer to the fi...

Go to advanced search