Search found 479 matches

by iamspen
Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:19 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: New York Mayor wants to ban fountain sodas over 16oz
Replies: 315
Views: 32219

Re: New York Mayor wants to ban fountain sodas over 16oz

Ok, so given that consequence, we can work on it by -trying to find a method that will enable people to drink all the soda they can without getting fat. -trying to stop people from drinking all the soda they can. Hence why I suggested standardizing the aspartame sodas, because it's closer to the fi...
by iamspen
Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:41 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: New York Mayor wants to ban fountain sodas over 16oz
Replies: 315
Views: 32219

Re: New York Mayor wants to ban fountain sodas over 16oz

How easy or instinctive it is has no bearing on whether its purpose is pleasure. Everything you used to defend eating as such could be said about breathing as well (hell, it's so cheap it's free!). I don't breath for pleasure, nor have I ever met anyone who does. [urkl]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...
by iamspen
Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:15 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1063: "Kill Hitler"
Replies: 278
Views: 69422

Re: 1063: "Kill Hitler"

pbnjstowell wrote:I wear a black hat now. Black hats are cool.


I wish I could like or upvote retweet your post, or whatever social network thing is trending right now.
by iamspen
Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:41 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: New York Mayor wants to ban fountain sodas over 16oz
Replies: 315
Views: 32219

Re: New York Mayor wants to ban fountain sodas over 16oz

But all of the people you listed, save perhaps for scientists, make a living on instant gratification nowadays. Politics has been boiled down to twelve-second soundbites, newspapers rush stories out to the point where they're more often than not unsubstantiated, if not wildly inaccurate, preachers t...
by iamspen
Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:23 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Where Microsoft is now becoming even more monopolistic
Replies: 70
Views: 8023

Re: Where Microsoft is now becoming even more monopolistic

I would argue that the more niche the market, the more crushing a monopoly can be to those who would otherwise compete in the market.
by iamspen
Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:21 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: New York Mayor wants to ban fountain sodas over 16oz
Replies: 315
Views: 32219

Re: New York Mayor wants to ban fountain sodas over 16oz

I didn't. Steroid more or less said, "Instant gratification good, consequences, who cares?" I brought that to its logical conclusion, wherein he would prefer a society that allows its population to become unsustainably unhealthy because giant Cokes are just so, so good. I'm not at all maki...
by iamspen
Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:08 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: New York Mayor wants to ban fountain sodas over 16oz
Replies: 315
Views: 32219

Re: New York Mayor wants to ban fountain sodas over 16oz

That's a false dichotomy. For instance, I'm drinking a Coke right now, and I have not condemned the world to a life of 16th century health care. And that's a misrepresentation of what I actually said, but good try. Further, you'll notice that I haven't explicitly given my opinion of the legislation...
by iamspen
Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:55 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: New York Mayor wants to ban fountain sodas over 16oz
Replies: 315
Views: 32219

Re: New York Mayor wants to ban fountain sodas over 16oz

So...so instant gratification and a future crumbled and destroyed health care infrastructure is better than, you know, not everyone having to die horrible painful deaths because they can't afford health care? Your logic, once again, wins!
by iamspen
Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:37 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: New York Mayor wants to ban fountain sodas over 16oz
Replies: 315
Views: 32219

Re: New York Mayor wants to ban fountain sodas over 16oz

It's not anyone's right to tell you that you can't eat what you want and end up looking like a Mack truck without the wheels. That's your peroggative. But don't pretend we can get by as a society by doing only things that improve our lives as individuals, because if that were the case, we'd have no ...
by iamspen
Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:27 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: The President of the United States' "Kill List"
Replies: 73
Views: 8760

Re: The President of the United States' "Kill List"

PeterCai wrote:See above. TLDR: yeah, that's what I had been saying. And my point is that I am fine with it if it's during a war.


You realize that in some way or another, that violates literally every single priciple upon which our country and our society was founded?
by iamspen
Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:00 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Homophobic bigotry gets standing ovation
Replies: 97
Views: 11287

Re: Homophobic bigotry gets standing ovation

I think we're better off arguing from a rights perspective, in saying that everyone, even minorities, have rights which must be protected, at great cost. That gets us off the hook for emigration, because that could be considered an equally important right. However, that does leave us on the hook fo...
by iamspen
Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:50 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1063: "Kill Hitler"
Replies: 278
Views: 69422

Re: 1063: "Kill Hitler"

Fire Brns wrote:Whoa this is like when Hitler tried funding a secret time travel program.


In fairness, it was Future Hitler's idea.
by iamspen
Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:06 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: New York Mayor wants to ban fountain sodas over 16oz
Replies: 315
Views: 32219

Re: New York Mayor wants to ban fountain sodas over 16oz

That's right. Our US pint, and Bloomburg by proxy, is a complete pussy. Now if only soda were nitrogenated like Guinness...
by iamspen
Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:58 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: New York Mayor wants to ban fountain sodas over 16oz
Replies: 315
Views: 32219

Re: New York Mayor wants to ban fountain sodas over 16oz

If you want to be historically accurate (and, in many countries, contemporarily accurate), beer and/or wine are normal, because way back in the day, water was fucking deadly. And a normal measure of beer is a pint! An Imperial pint, no less! Or a half-liter, if you live in one of those other, less ...
by iamspen
Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:39 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: New York Mayor wants to ban fountain sodas over 16oz
Replies: 315
Views: 32219

Re: New York Mayor wants to ban fountain sodas over 16oz

Steroid wrote:Stuff about his -- HIS! -- diabetes


You -- YOU! -- aren't the only person in the world, and your -- YOUR! -- anecdote can't be universally applied to every human being. Obesity is one of the primary causes of our skyrocketing health care costs, which affects me -- ME!
by iamspen
Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:45 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: New York Mayor wants to ban fountain sodas over 16oz
Replies: 315
Views: 32219

Re: New York Mayor wants to ban fountain sodas over 16oz

paulisa wrote:
Spoiler:
fucking *water* is normal, and most people would be very happy if they had some


If you want to be historically accurate (and, in many countries, contemporarily accurate), beer and/or wine are normal, because way back in the day, water was fucking deadly.

In other words, let's all get sloshed!
by iamspen
Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:35 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: The President of the United States' "Kill List"
Replies: 73
Views: 8760

Re: The President of the United States' "Kill List"

I haven't yet seen this brought up, but I think most peoples' issue with al-Awlaki being killed isn't simply that he's an American citizen, it's that labeling an American citizen as a combatant and summarily executing him abroad is only a stone's throw from doing the same on American soil. That's wh...
by iamspen
Thu May 31, 2012 7:36 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: DOMA struck down; hurricanes, earthquakes, fires forthcoming
Replies: 41
Views: 3796

Re: DOMA struck down; hurricanes, earthquakes, fires forthco

If those rights truly ever existed, and went away under that law, then someone failed to 'Preserve' it. If they Never actually were allowed until now, you should create a new rule for it. Change whatever you need to change, but I really hate just pretending it was the original intention to begin wi...
by iamspen
Thu May 31, 2012 7:18 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Homophobic bigotry gets standing ovation
Replies: 97
Views: 11287

Re: Homophobic bigotry gets standing ovation

ShootTheChicken wrote:Which... they clearly don't.


Only because bacon is delicious.
by iamspen
Thu May 31, 2012 6:40 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: DOMA struck down; hurricanes, earthquakes, fires forthcoming
Replies: 41
Views: 3796

Re: DOMA struck down; hurricanes, earthquakes, fires forthco

But that's a quintessential part of our democratic system. Part of the job of our judicial system is to prevent a tyranny of the majority. I like democracy as much as the next guy, but those same democratic ideals are jeopordized when populism takes hold.
by iamspen
Thu May 31, 2012 4:59 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: DOMA struck down; hurricanes, earthquakes, fires forthcoming
Replies: 41
Views: 3796

Re: DOMA struck down; hurricanes, earthquakes, fires forthco

I try to avoid those, with marginal success.
by iamspen
Thu May 31, 2012 4:27 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: DOMA struck down; hurricanes, earthquakes, fires forthcoming
Replies: 41
Views: 3796

DOMA struck down; hurricanes, earthquakes, fires forthcoming

http://www.cnn.com/2012/05/31/us/massachusetts-same-sex-marriage/index.html?hpt=hp_t1 This is fantastic news for those of us who care about trivial matters such as human rights. While the war isn't close to being won, this is still a monumental victory that will hopefully not be overturned by a SCO...
by iamspen
Thu May 31, 2012 2:38 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: In other news... (humorous news items)
Replies: 15152
Views: 2670051

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Jesus, who do you work for, HitlerStalin, Inc, USA?
by iamspen
Thu May 31, 2012 1:38 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Homophobic bigotry gets standing ovation
Replies: 97
Views: 11287

Re: Homophobic bigotry gets standing ovation

Steroid wrote:If there's libertarianism, I don't have to think about politics. If there's capitalism, we get labor-saving devices and I can work swiftly to get it over with and enjoy the material pleasures it brings.


That makes so much less sense than you think it does.
by iamspen
Thu May 31, 2012 1:00 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: U.S. Republican Primary
Replies: 2855
Views: 306538

Re: U.S. Republican Primary

It's been going leftward since the 80s, and moreover it's been going leftward since the turn of the 20th century. There was more individual freedom in 1900 than in 1800, but less in 2000 than in 1900. Well, sure, if your definition of individual freedom is the ability to keep however much income yo...
by iamspen
Sat May 26, 2012 3:52 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Police misbehavior thread
Replies: 6980
Views: 1141032

Re: Police misbehavior thread

Why we are using the 4th amendment with respect to the money being taken? The 5th amendment is much more applicable: Currency is the physical property of the US government ([edit]the federal government[/edit]. The 4th Amendment is more applicable in this case, although, to be fair, the local author...
by iamspen
Fri May 25, 2012 5:15 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Police misbehavior thread
Replies: 6980
Views: 1141032

Re: Police misbehavior thread

That goes back to what I said about courts ignoring the obvious intent and/or direct language of the Constitution, which happens all the time and for head-scratching reasons. Basically, what you're saying is, if I allow a cop into my house, he has free rein to confiscate anything he wants just 'caus...
by iamspen
Fri May 25, 2012 5:02 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Police misbehavior thread
Replies: 6980
Views: 1141032

Re: Police misbehavior thread

But it WAS unreasonable siezure, which is the key second half of, "unreasonable search and siezure."

And yeah. Don't talk to cops unless they have a warrant. Ever.
by iamspen
Fri May 25, 2012 4:16 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Police misbehavior thread
Replies: 6980
Views: 1141032

Re: Police misbehavior thread

Not if the Constitution does, in actuality, supercede any other laws. The Fourth amendment, unfortunately, is the one that's most ignored, even by courts. Edit: It should also be noted that confiscation of that money would not have been required to open an ivestigation on the guy in question, and ev...
by iamspen
Fri May 25, 2012 3:53 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Police misbehavior thread
Replies: 6980
Views: 1141032

Re: Police misbehavior thread

It's the classic case of a cop following the law without having any clue why the law exists in the first place, or the context in which it was intended to be applied. Something similar happened to me when I was pulled over for driving under suspension. I explained to the officer that the only reason...
by iamspen
Fri May 25, 2012 12:07 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: split from Quebec Student Protests
Replies: 17
Views: 2340

Re: Quebec Student Protests

I think it's been sufficiently proven that even those who pass derivative-pricing school with flying colors can't do it properly. ;)
by iamspen
Thu May 24, 2012 4:57 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1059: "Bel-Air"
Replies: 51
Views: 20252

Re: 1059: "Bel-Air"

He was most certainly not legend.
by iamspen
Wed May 23, 2012 1:25 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: In other news... (humorous news items)
Replies: 15152
Views: 2670051

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Also, where he's positioned behind the bush would indicate his feet are approximately a foot underground, so there's that.

(Come on, China, how hard is it to find three random guys to stand next to a bush?)
by iamspen
Sat May 19, 2012 8:57 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Occupy:Frankfurt cleared by police
Replies: 78
Views: 9685

Re: Occupy:Frankfurt cleared by police

But...of course the financial collapse was primarily the fault of the banking industry. They lobbied for restrictions on their actions to be removed, and they made bad loans. And even though lack of personal responsibility played a massive role in the downturn, Occupy opponents tend to simultaneousl...
by iamspen
Sat May 19, 2012 4:49 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Occupy:Frankfurt cleared by police
Replies: 78
Views: 9685

Re: Occupy:Frankfurt cleared by police

So if I don't use banks, I won't be laid off when those same banks tank our economy?
by iamspen
Sat May 19, 2012 4:16 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Occupy:Frankfurt cleared by police
Replies: 78
Views: 9685

Re: Occupy:Frankfurt cleared by police

But what do they want!?

Spoiler:
Image
by iamspen
Fri May 18, 2012 4:24 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: obama endorses same-sex marriage
Replies: 348
Views: 42214

Re: obama endorses same-sex marriage

DSenette wrote:God(s) damnit, would you say something i don't agree with again? we're in danger of shifting the earth's rotation here.....


Finally, a simple solution to Neil deGrasse Tyson's biggest pet peeve!
by iamspen
Fri May 18, 2012 1:57 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: obama endorses same-sex marriage
Replies: 348
Views: 42214

Re: obama endorses same-sex marriage

abortion and contraceptives aren't about procreation, they're about the sanctity of life. it's an "every sperm is sacred" argument. not SPECIFICALLY the same argument. they're not using the same rhetoric in the argument. And none of those issues have been applied specifically to marriage,...
by iamspen
Thu May 17, 2012 7:57 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: In other news... (humorous news items)
Replies: 15152
Views: 2670051

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

So...humorous news item, is all. And Dick Cheney's name is Dick, but it's not funny because Dick is actually a name in our language. But if some Russian diplomat were named Penish Jackov, that'd be pretty hilarious.

Edit: It is a little funny, though, 'cause he's actually kind of a dick.
by iamspen
Thu May 17, 2012 6:55 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: In other news... (humorous news items)
Replies: 15152
Views: 2670051

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

http://www.cnn.com/2012/05/17/world/mea ... ?hpt=hp_t2

New French PM's name is Arabic for, "dick."

Go to advanced search