Search found 2811 matches

by orthogon
Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:36 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Police misbehavior thread
Replies: 6421
Views: 935955

Re: Police misbehavior thread

It doesn't help that the a priori probability of a person being armed is so high in the US. In the UK it's far less likely, and therefore our cops are less likely to conclude that a suspect is reaching for a weapon as opposed to scratching his arse. Of course, the cops don't have guns either, so mos...
by orthogon
Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:50 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1935: "2018"
Replies: 66
Views: 7988

Re: 1935: "2018"

ETA: but, yeah, this stuff is really hard in odd decades. If it's odd, subtract 2 years and then do the same test as for the even decades. I wouldn't call that really hard –it just takes time to internalize. Yes, yes; when I say "really hard", I just mean that it feels way harder than it ...
by orthogon
Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:29 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1935: "2018"
Replies: 66
Views: 7988

Re: 1935: "2018"

Also, it's the World Cup of Association Soccerball.

ETA: but, yeah, this stuff is really hard in odd decades.
by orthogon
Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:17 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Sexual Harrassment Epidemic
Replies: 538
Views: 47059

Re: Sexual Harrassment Epidemic

morriswalters wrote:
CorruptUser wrote:...scenarios in porn are so unrealistic...
Obviously we see things very differently.

... or you see very different things?
by orthogon
Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:18 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Referendum: Episode two: Catalonia strikes back
Replies: 124
Views: 30954

Re: Referendum: Episode two: Catalonia strikes back

sardia wrote:Spain should have taken a gamble on the election (and kept quiet about it being unconstitutional), and stop suppressing people, and instead use economics to scare the Catalans into staying.

"Project Fear", you mean? That approach didn't work out too well for the Remain side in the UK.
by orthogon
Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:41 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1930: "Calendar Facts"
Replies: 32
Views: 5183

Re: 1930: "Calendar Facts"

I'm having difficulty working the Mason Dixon Line into anything meaningful. It isn't part of any time zone boundaries. It's traditional in such cases to joke that there's a time difference of, say, fifty years between the two sides of the line. I won't dare to suggest which way round. Y'all are st...
by orthogon
Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:57 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1929: "Argument Timing"
Replies: 14
Views: 2461

Re: 1929: "Argument Timing"

New User wrote:What are hangry arguers? Is this a rare xkcd typo?

It's a malaportmanteau.

Spoiler:
Hangry = hungry + angry. If you and/or those close to you don't suffer from this, you're lucky.
by orthogon
Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:50 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1929: "Argument Timing"
Replies: 14
Views: 2461

Re: 1929: "Argument Timing"

YellowYeti wrote:
Reka wrote:Do people really do stuff in bed after waking up but before getting up? Other than slamming the snooze button on the alarm, that is?


Yes, yes.. doing stuff in that time and space is definitely a thing :wink:

It's even better if you have an argument first!
by orthogon
Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:47 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1929: "Argument Timing"
Replies: 14
Views: 2461

Re: 1929: "Argument Timing"

Title text: Of course, everyone has their own profile. There are morning arguers, hangry arguers, meal-time arguers, late-night arguers, and people who get in a meta-argument over what their argument timing is, dredge up examples of past arguments, and end up fighting over THOSE again as well. As a...
by orthogon
Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:13 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1071: "Exoplanets"
Replies: 176
Views: 45027

Re: 1071: "Exoplanets"

yeah, it's a stupid convention. just about every sf book since ever has numbered planets with roman numerals from I (Sol III), why didn't astromomers adopt that sensible notation? Now I'm wondering what would Earth be called under the astronomical exoplanet convention, assuming Sol for the star. If...
by orthogon
Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:15 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1071: "Exoplanets"
Replies: 176
Views: 45027

Re: 1071: "Exoplanets"

We've now actually found a planetary system as populated as ours. Like our system with eight planets but what about Pluto? *grumble grumble* , there's now officially eight planets for Kepler 90's and I'm not holding my breath to detect their Pluto .… Maybe the elusive Kepler-90a is their Pluto?...
by orthogon
Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:22 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: In other news... (humorous news items)
Replies: 14850
Views: 2315320

Re: In other news... (humorous news items)

In case of language differences, it's probably worth noting that "a piece of wet string" is often used figuratively by communications engineers to mean a poor quality cable, i.e. one with a high loss, a poor impedance match and possibly having had its specifications degraded further as a r...
by orthogon
Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:03 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Sexual Harrassment Epidemic
Replies: 538
Views: 47059

Re: Sexual Harrassment Epidemic

Right, this is fascinating. To be clear, you say "not at all about sexiness", then go on to talk about beauty, so presumably you're drawing a distinction between the two? I agree there is a distinction, but, for a straight cis male, there's a huge overlap. Certainly the two concepts are in...
by orthogon
Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:47 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Sexual Harrassment Epidemic
Replies: 538
Views: 47059

Re: Sexual Harrassment Epidemic

I'm finding this discussion very interesting and, on the whole, productive, so thanks everyone. There seems to be a broad agreement that the tricky bits are in the grey areas, and I was struck in this article by the allegation of "ogling". If ogling is defined as looking at women I find at...
by orthogon
Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:59 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Sexual Harrassment Epidemic
Replies: 538
Views: 47059

Re: Sexual Harrassment Epidemic

A girl filed a provably wrong "attempted rape" report against me and never received any bit of consequence that I'm aware of. Twice. Part of how I ended up on prom court... CorruptUser, are you saying that some of the people voting for prom court gave you extra points for having been accu...
by orthogon
Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:20 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1927: "Tinder"
Replies: 18
Views: 3023

Re: 1927: "Tinder"

But the question is: is he looking for a LTR with a flight instructor, or just a one-off? Or, maybe it's a set up and he's got a Fear of Flying . I had trouble expanding "LTR" in an xkcd context. I took it to be the opposite of an " RTL ". The whole swiping-left-and-right thing ...
by orthogon
Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:56 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Sexual Harrassment Epidemic
Replies: 538
Views: 47059

Re: Sexual Harrassment Epidemic

Why does it make you feel like you have to walk on eggshells? I don't know about the specific case but there are an lot of people that aren't anywhere near as skilled at reading social cues as others assume they should be. "No" may mean "no" but when someone assumes that they ha...
by orthogon
Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:39 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Trump presidency
Replies: 7173
Views: 533326

Re: Trump presidency

And, as it was promised before, it seems more like just...actually delivering on an issue important to his voters. I guess most of his other promises have been thwarted or diluted by other organs of state. This is probably the one thing he can deliver in its entirety, because of its status of alrea...
by orthogon
Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:36 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Trump presidency
Replies: 7173
Views: 533326

Re: Trump presidency

Mr Trump described the move as "a long overdue step" to advance the Middle East peace process. What's the phrase I'm looking for ... it's not quite non sequitur ... It is actually an old, agreed upon thing that the US kept wavering and not getting around to actually doing. So, factually, ...
by orthogon
Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:29 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Trump presidency
Replies: 7173
Views: 533326

Re: Trump presidency

Not one attempt was made by any of these presidents to remove the loaded gun that Congress had placed on the coffee table. Thanks, I didn't know any of that history. But it seems like maybe the gun was kind of underneath a magazine, and maybe nobody wanted to reach for it, even to unload it, in cas...
by orthogon
Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:33 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Trump presidency
Replies: 7173
Views: 533326

Re: Trump presidency

Trump has recognized Jerusalem as the capitol of Israel. Haven't seen any news reports of rioting anywhere yet, just the usual effigy and picture burning. If you happen to be in a middle eastern country right now, well, I don't know what advice to give. Let's hope Jumble made/makes it back safely. ...
by orthogon
Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:29 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1924: "Solar Panels"
Replies: 60
Views: 6479

Re: 1924: "Solar Panels"

Around here, what it would be replacing is "the road is damaged, add another layer of asphalt." Older roads here are almost a whole meter above the sidewalks, driveways, and gutters beside them due to repeated "repair". A solution where you replace tiles instead wouldn't have th...
by orthogon
Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:26 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Sexual Harrassment Epidemic
Replies: 538
Views: 47059

Re: Sexual Harrassment Epidemic

Great idea for a movie. A man is facing a tidal wave of sex assault claims, and so becomes president to be too busy to have to deal with the courts, so the statute of limitations runs out. Starring Adam Sandler and Ben Stiller. Becoming president to avoid prosecution is standard in several European...
by orthogon
Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:09 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Sexual Harrassment Epidemic
Replies: 538
Views: 47059

Re: Sexual Harrassment Epidemic

Interesting how, unlike other crimes, "attempted rap" is considered a more serious offence than its fully executed variant. Care to explain? My bad: I was being flippant, but I forgot to include the appropriate emojus :wink: It was just the way this was phrased; it sounded as though "...
by orthogon
Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:53 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Where Aren't They Now (Obituaries)
Replies: 276
Views: 58445

Re: Where Aren't They Now (Obituaries)

CorruptUser wrote:I umm, I don't know who that is, and clicking the link I never even heard of the Profumo Affair.

Senior western politician embroiled in sex scandal with links to Russia? Plus ça change.
by orthogon
Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:47 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Sexual Harrassment Epidemic
Replies: 538
Views: 47059

Re: Sexual Harrassment Epidemic

Interesting how, unlike other crimes, "attempted rap" is considered a more serious offence than its fully executed variant.
by orthogon
Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:27 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Trump presidency
Replies: 7173
Views: 533326

Re: Trump presidency

Even Tory Damian Collins seemed to suggest that the invitation for a state visit ought to be rescinded. I don't think he's going to come anyway, but the symbolism of saying "we don't tolerate bigots who spout this kind of shit" would be worthwhile. I'd also like to see a more explicit &qu...
by orthogon
Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:07 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Trump presidency
Replies: 7173
Views: 533326

Re: Trump presidency

Indeed, or shortening ‘racist, misogynistic, half-wit thug’ to ‘president’. The word that comes to my mind whenever I see his sickening fucking face is even shorter. It was reassuring to hear unanimous condemnation on last night's Any Questions? . Even Tory Damian Collins seemed to suggest that the...
by orthogon
Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:20 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1923: "Felsius"
Replies: 78
Views: 8474

Re: 1923: "Felsius"

At least -40 is the same for all three. I like that Fahrenheit has 180 degrees of liquid water. It makes Degrees seem like a reasonable term to use. I hate "degrees Celsius " Centigrade is a much better word (meaning measured in hundredths), "degrees Celsius" make me think that ...
by orthogon
Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:31 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1923: "Felsius"
Replies: 78
Views: 8474

Re: 1923: "Felsius"

"Felsius" sounds obscene to me. Like it's the fancy Latinate term for "felching".
by orthogon
Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:20 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Sexual Harrassment Epidemic
Replies: 538
Views: 47059

Re: Sexual Harrassment Epidemic

(Posting here as the Damian Green story began in connection with sexual harrassment allegations against him) Damian Green computer porn claims: 'Thousands' of images viewed Neil Lewis examined the [PC seized from senior Tory MP Damian Green's office] during a 2008 inquiry into government leaks and h...
by orthogon
Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:18 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Sexual Harrassment Epidemic
Replies: 538
Views: 47059

Re: Sexual Harrassment Epidemic

It might be worth mentioning the innocent-until-proven-guilty principle, too. Since most incidents of sexual harassment (and worse) probably take place when only the victim and perp are present, there's likely to be a "her word against his" situation. It's often said that victims aren't be...
by orthogon
Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:25 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Sexual Harrassment Epidemic
Replies: 538
Views: 47059

Re: Sexual Harrassment Epidemic

As you point out many men are worried and probably getting defensive that stuff they did in the past could be deemed inappropriate now and face retribution. The troubling thing for many men is that we are retroactively applying today's social morals on actions that occurred many years/decades ago w...
by orthogon
Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:39 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1071: "Exoplanets"
Replies: 176
Views: 45027

Re: 1071: "Exoplanets"

Are the Voyagers likely to ever enter another solar system? Depends where you put the boundaries of a solar system - it's not like there are picket fences at 1 light-month out or anything... Well, of course, but there are magnetoshocks, heliopauses and whatnot. My question is, I guess, whether they...
by orthogon
Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:07 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1071: "Exoplanets"
Replies: 176
Views: 45027

Re: 1071: "Exoplanets"

Wait, Project Orion allows interstellar travel? Just how fast can these ships suppose to go! Do you mean "allows interstellar travel within a reasonable length of voyage time ?"? We already got some Voyagers/Pioneers escaping the Solar system gravity well, and they're just drifting slowly...
by orthogon
Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:31 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Sexual Harrassment Epidemic
Replies: 538
Views: 47059

Re: Sexual Harrassment Epidemic

Or do what I supported for years now; expand the definition of statutory rape to include the cases of obvious power imbalance, e.g., boss and secretary, professor and grad student, etc. That's a terrible idea. Why? I can't speak for charliepanayi, but it would criminalise a lot of healthy, consensu...
by orthogon
Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:01 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Trump presidency
Replies: 7173
Views: 533326

Re: Trump presidency

I thought the WaPo article went a bit far with the self-righteousness. Isn't "misrepresenting themselves" what all undercover reporters do? It wasn't just 'misrepresentation' it was trying to feed a fake story to WaPo, that's a lot further than most undercover reporters go, who usually ar...
by orthogon
Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:34 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Trump presidency
Replies: 7173
Views: 533326

Re: Trump presidency

But if they fail utterly and completely, like they did here? They'll do everything they can to either 1) Obscure the fact that they even tried, or 2) Rewrite the narrative to make it look like a 'success'. To be honest, I don't think "trick WaPo into publishing a fake story" was necessari...
by orthogon
Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:10 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1917: "How to Make Friends"
Replies: 35
Views: 5845

Re: 1917: "How to Make Friends"

$ make friend make: *** No rule to make target 'friend'. Stop. $ ... Still trying to figure this out. :D Somebody must have written a big Makefile with targets like "love", "war", "promises", "whoopee" etc. This reminds me of a moment of frustration whilst wo...
by orthogon
Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:16 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: In other news... (humorous news items)
Replies: 14850
Views: 2315320

Re: In other news... (humorous news items)

We once had a demonstration on divining rods at school. A month later, our smallest tortoise ran away and I thought I might as well try as we had nothing else to go on. Found him in about 5 minutes on the otherside of the fence in some bushes, somewhere I'd never had gone otherwise. Never managed t...

Go to advanced search