Search found 3779 matches

by Heisenberg
Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:39 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: California breastfeeding picture controversy
Replies: 236
Views: 37215

Re: California breastfeeding picture controversy

Possibly related. Facebook relaxed its policy on breastfeeding photos today.
by Heisenberg
Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:45 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: California breastfeeding picture controversy
Replies: 236
Views: 37215

Re: California breastfeeding picture controversy

Yeah, I don't see what the big deal is. Congratulations to this lady and her family!
by Heisenberg
Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:06 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Police misbehavior thread
Replies: 7005
Views: 1166358

Re: Police misbehavior thread

Threatening her life and the life of her family is outrageous. But given the officer's history with immigrants, it looks like she should be happy to escape the incident with no broken bones.
by Heisenberg
Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:33 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Taliban Releases US POW
Replies: 196
Views: 28023

Re: Taliban Releases US POW

1. I'm really happy for those Muslims, and their neighbors. I covered moderate Muslims, what, two pages back? Did you mean to say you dismissed them out of hand? Because that's what you did. You have made no compelling case why we should treat Islam based on its extremists and Christianity based on...
by Heisenberg
Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:05 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Taliban Releases US POW
Replies: 196
Views: 28023

Re: Taliban Releases US POW

1. The latter (the tenets of Islam, support extremism more than the tenets of Christianity, as far as I understand them) Then it's clear you don't understand the tenets of either religion, as the people who actively follow those religions are, according to KnightExemplar's data, far more likely to ...
by Heisenberg
Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:50 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Taliban Releases US POW
Replies: 196
Views: 28023

Re: Taliban Releases US POW

All religious extremists are bad. Muslim religious extremists are worse though - Islam supports extremism more than other religions, and Islamic extremists are murdering people on a regular basis, with Islam as their justification. Do you mean to say that people who identify themselves as Muslim su...
by Heisenberg
Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:33 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Taliban Releases US POW
Replies: 196
Views: 28023

Re: Taliban Releases US POW

And yet most churches have come out against the death penalty. The Catholic church in particular campaigns against it. Of course, heres another difference - the Bible is divinely inspired, according to Christians, but holy tradition (for Catholics and Orthodox), exegesis, and the teaching of religi...
by Heisenberg
Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:19 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Taliban Releases US POW
Replies: 196
Views: 28023

Re: Taliban Releases US POW

So, just because YOU think that YOU have a moral imperative to wipe out certain cultures, doesn't mean that I have to follow that same imperative, correct? So your belief that you should go back in time to murder all of the Ancient Greeks is ENTIRELY IRRELEVANT to what the rest of us should do about...
by Heisenberg
Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:02 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Taliban Releases US POW
Replies: 196
Views: 28023

Re: Taliban Releases US POW

Since when did you value peace? Why do you assume I value peace? Please stop forcing your personal, subjective morality on the rest of us. That's leaving aside the absurd notion that cultures are somehow permanent and incapable of change, but regardless, I still don't understand why you think making...
by Heisenberg
Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:46 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Taliban Releases US POW
Replies: 196
Views: 28023

Re: Taliban Releases US POW

*"should" in this case means "should according to CU's own personal definition based on no objective metric" which renders this version of "should" entirely irrelevant to the actions of any human being other than CU and therefore is not even worth discussing.
by Heisenberg
Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:05 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Taliban Releases US POW
Replies: 196
Views: 28023

Re: Taliban Releases US POW

Ormurinn wrote:It's almost as if I was criticizing the inhumanity of their culture
Except for the part where you said that their fighters were subhuman. You weren't criticizing their culture, you were describing a particular group of people as "subhuman." That's morally reprehensible and quite evil.
by Heisenberg
Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:30 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: In other news... (humorous news items)
Replies: 15205
Views: 2715107

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

bigglesworth wrote:Anti-science is leftist? :|

Sorry to throw back 2 pages, but the Daily Show did a bit on the outbreak of anti-science liberals due to the anti-vax movement. It's excellent, as usual.
by Heisenberg
Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:47 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Taliban Releases US POW
Replies: 196
Views: 28023

Re: Taliban Releases US POW

No, they'd be arrested. The Taliban have no legitimate authority, they're not the Afghan army, they're just common criminals. Actually, they're required to first be treated as privileged combatants and given POW status until such a time as a competent tribunal classifies them properly (civilian or ...
by Heisenberg
Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:11 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Cultural Appropriation / Assimilation
Replies: 501
Views: 82468

Re: Cultural Appropriation / Assimilation

I'm pretty sure the individuals who founded the Redskins hadn't slaughtered anyone. Sure, but the city is the seat of power of the government which committed genocide against their people. I don't care about the owners, I care about the people of the area who the team represents. In the case of the...
by Heisenberg
Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:57 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: [Ethics] An Ethics implant
Replies: 71
Views: 16553

Re: [Ethics] An Ethics implant

Perhaps we could examine why that is the case? Can an ethical argument be made (without appeal to religion)? We learn through trial and error. This holds true for the development of one's conscience as well as the various stages of moral development. You'd have a set of people who were prevented fr...
by Heisenberg
Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:21 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Cultural Appropriation / Assimilation
Replies: 501
Views: 82468

Re: Cultural Appropriation / Assimilation

Also, independent of the continuity issue, have neopagans said Thor is appropriative? My feeling is that, if it turns out a lot of them do, *then* we can have the discussion about the origins and continuity of their religious beliefs, but if no one has a problem with it, there's no problem. (Which ...
by Heisenberg
Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:11 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Taliban Releases US POW
Replies: 196
Views: 28023

Re: Taliban Releases US POW

Paul in Saudi wrote:So where did the verbiage "No man left behind" come from? It was not current in 1993 when I retired.

In the Ranger's Creed as far back as 1974. Incorporated into the Army Creed as of 2003.
Ranger's Creed wrote:I will never leave a fallen comrade to fall into the hands of the enemy
Soldier's Creed wrote:I will never leave a fallen comrade.
by Heisenberg
Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:13 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Taliban Releases US POW
Replies: 196
Views: 28023

Re: Taliban Releases US POW

I didn't say your position renders morals non-existant, I said it renders them meaningless. (I said that 6 times, so I don't know why you keep assigning that other position to me.)
by Heisenberg
Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:55 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: [Ethics] An Ethics implant
Replies: 71
Views: 16553

Re: [Ethics] An Ethics implant

Related science fiction.

Protecting one's own life could very easily result in a minor trespass or code violation. But in that respect, maybe the merit of this idea is to implant a device into dogs to prevent them from biting people.
by Heisenberg
Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:47 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Taliban Releases US POW
Replies: 196
Views: 28023

Re: Taliban Releases US POW

As for 'golden rule', it's less 'rule' and more 'social contract'. So I agree to morals that everyone else will agree to as well. But we, and not some talking plant, get to decide what those morals are. See, I've heard of laws and customs being referred to as a social contract before, but I've neve...
by Heisenberg
Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:31 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: The Darker Side of the News
Replies: 4898
Views: 755511

Re: The Darker Side of the News

It's always best to add in a good lynching joke when discriminating against your black employees. Really helps build morale.
by Heisenberg
Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:21 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Taliban Releases US POW
Replies: 196
Views: 28023

Re: Taliban Releases US POW

I understand your position, but it doesn't seem that you do when you go on to make claims about murder being wrong when there's a population shortage. Your argument is that statements like that are meaningless, so why do you keep making them? You think that we as a society shouldn't tolerate the mur...
by Heisenberg
Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:56 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Taliban Releases US POW
Replies: 196
Views: 28023

Re: Taliban Releases US POW

Because I don't want to be raped/murdered. Surely you're not a societal parasite, so you have nothing to fear from the legal murder of societal parasites. Now, if you're saying that you personally should not murder people because you don't want to be murdered, that's not really moral nihilism. And ...
by Heisenberg
Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:00 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Taliban Releases US POW
Replies: 196
Views: 28023

Re: Taliban Releases US POW

Oh, well, if those are the only two options, then I agree with you.

Just out of curiousity, though, if you truly believe that rape and murder are the best ways to accomplish your goal of propagating the species, why are you so averse to them?
by Heisenberg
Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:37 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Taliban Releases US POW
Replies: 196
Views: 28023

Re: Taliban Releases US POW

If all you see is that everything short of perfection is "evil", then, surely, as you must be imperfect, you too are evil. ALL real world choices have drawbacks. I don't believe that anything imperfect is evil, that's absurd. And don't characterize slavery as a "drawback" unless...
by Heisenberg
Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:30 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: 12-yo girls stab friend 19X to impress Slenderman (meme)
Replies: 44
Views: 17228

Re: 12-yo girls stab friend 19X to impress Slenderman (meme)

While I agree that most middleschoolers don't murder, the things middleschool girls will do to each other are pretty fucking terrifying.

Edit: The only reason this is a story is because whenever a white person engages in a horrific murder the media has to blame someone else.
by Heisenberg
Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:19 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Taliban Releases US POW
Replies: 196
Views: 28023

Re: Taliban Releases US POW

Those of us who base our morality on Utilitarianism or Virtue Ethics though, can take a more nuanced view. Is slavery today impossible to justify morally? Yeah. Slavery in the ancient and classical world? That's another matter, depending on circumstance. Your argument did not support that conclusio...
by Heisenberg
Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:37 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Taliban Releases US POW
Replies: 196
Views: 28023

Re: Taliban Releases US POW

Right. And my standards are better than theirs. thing is, people always said that. if they were true, we'd live in a golden age. yet, the golden age was the first one, not the last. prog*ress [n.] the development of an individual or society in a direction considered more beneficial than and superio...
by Heisenberg
Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:15 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Taliban Releases US POW
Replies: 196
Views: 28023

Re: Taliban Releases US POW

Tyndmyr wrote:How would a society where everyone cares about everyone else equally even work?
Like this.
by Heisenberg
Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:12 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Does traditional debate reinforce White Privilege?
Replies: 96
Views: 22310

Re: Does traditional debate reinforce White Privilege?

Best case scenario - all those engaging in debate in good faith lose out. Building skills in this arena is now impossible - and if you try to start a new league, where rhetorical capability is respected, you get smeared as a racist. Or you could join an already existent league, which doesn't allow ...
by Heisenberg
Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:00 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Taliban Releases US POW
Replies: 196
Views: 28023

Re: Taliban Releases US POW

by Heisenberg
Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:48 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Taliban Releases US POW
Replies: 196
Views: 28023

Re: Taliban Releases US POW

I think Hippo was talking about how people SHOULD treat each other. Not how they DO treat each other.
by Heisenberg
Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:38 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Taliban Releases US POW
Replies: 196
Views: 28023

Re: Taliban Releases US POW

Were the prisoners in Guantanamo Bay uniformed members of a regular military? No? In that case they weren't protected by the articles of war. That's not how the Geneva Conventions work. According to CNN, the soldier was a deserter. Stay classy, CNN. He definitely wandered off into enemy territory w...
by Heisenberg
Fri May 30, 2014 7:21 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Ethics of keeping violent offenders catatonic
Replies: 63
Views: 16486

Re: Ethics of keeping violent offenders catatonic

And perhaps a more reasonable and effective punishment than letting you rot in a rape-happy prison for three decades. I guess that's a separate argument: That incarceration is necessary, and that we as a society have a duty to protect those we incarcerate (I agree on both counts). But then further ...
by Heisenberg
Fri May 30, 2014 7:14 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Isla Vista shooting
Replies: 416
Views: 50479

Re: Isla Vista shooting

People who get reported as "gang-related" -> black.
People who get reported as "troubled youth." -> white.
by Heisenberg
Fri May 30, 2014 7:12 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: The Darker Side of the News
Replies: 4898
Views: 755511

Re: The Darker Side of the News

Pregnant Pakistani woman stoned in honor killing, police accused of standing by. I'm aware this isn't exactly new. If the accusations about police failing to respond are true, however, the situation may become a bit more grave. I don't understand how people consider violently murdering a defenseles...
by Heisenberg
Fri May 30, 2014 7:07 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: In other news... (humorous news items)
Replies: 15205
Views: 2715107

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

~20% of the US population is non-white. Also, ~20% of white people in the US are also lactase non-persistent. 20% + 20% * 80% = 36%. Milk is harmful to all non-white people? That's ridiculous. Milk is an efficient way to deliver fat-soluble vitamins , and is really good for you. Yes, it does have c...
by Heisenberg
Thu May 29, 2014 7:49 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: In other news... (humorous news items)
Replies: 15205
Views: 2715107

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

What's that? Not enough bad science? Cheer up, because PETA is here to make an extremely dubious correlation ! The reason why dairy foods may worsen or even cause autism is being debated. http://cdn.theatlantic.com/newsroom/img/posts/2014/05/BB_got_autism/d178312b7.jpg And now for the good news: Sri...
by Heisenberg
Thu May 29, 2014 1:06 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Ethics of keeping violent offenders catatonic
Replies: 63
Views: 16486

Re: Ethics of keeping violent offenders catatonic

That conclusion would follow only if we all agreed that the ends justify the means, and that the possibility of exoneration, pardon, or parole was non-existent. However, if those two both applied, then the death penalty would be easily interchangeable with life in prison, and it would be ethical to ...

Go to advanced search