Search found 1437 matches

by gorcee
Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:21 pm UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: Tulpas
Replies: 4
Views: 1933

Re: Tulpas

thoughtfully wrote:There exists a definition of "odd corner" such that these xkcd fora do not meet it. Whether this is the intended definition is an exercise left for the reader.


According to TimeCube guy, there should be 4 odd corners.
by gorcee
Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:24 pm UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: Tulpas
Replies: 4
Views: 1933

Re: Tulpas

This is somehow not an odd corner of the internet?
by gorcee
Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:26 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Questions For The World
Replies: 2216
Views: 457515

Re: Questions For The World

Pennsylvania. North-Eastern (I pretty much group New England, New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Delaware, and both Virginias into the same 'bloc' when I think of US geography). Heavy industry, coal mining and steelmaking, some big cities (Pittsburg/Philly), and isn't Penn State quite a ...
by gorcee
Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:24 am UTC
Forum: School
Topic: Back to School after several years (military)--help?
Replies: 5
Views: 3322

Re: Back to School after several years (military)

It's going to depend on the university. If you attempt to go back to Maryland, your old grades will almost certainly be part of your record. In most cases, when you transfer, your old grades do not transfer with you. You can sometimes transfer over credits earned to eliminate some (typically low-lev...
by gorcee
Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:14 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Hype your ripe snipes 'n' gripes
Replies: 28619
Views: 3574277

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

My sex ed class wasn't pro-abstinence, but we didn't really go into any detail... I remember going to Wikipedia to learn about the biological aspects, and I had Reddit/etc for the social aspects. On that note: epididymis is a cool word. I always imagine a Greek myth about a guy who gets hit in the ...
by gorcee
Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:46 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Questions For The World
Replies: 2216
Views: 457515

Re: Questions For The World

My perception of Michigan is probably pretty close to what it is: lots of urban centers with substantial urban depression surrounded by fairly standard suburbs and exurbs, with large pockets of rural and woodsy areas in between. I figure the people range from urban thugs to lake-shore snobbery to br...
by gorcee
Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:32 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Questions For The World
Replies: 2216
Views: 457515

Re: Questions For The World

ITT: The Rest of the World thinks that Americans are nothing but a bunch of criminals looking for ways to break into houses.
by gorcee
Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:54 pm UTC
Forum: Mathematics
Topic: Is there a name for a general principle behind this pattern?
Replies: 1
Views: 734

Re: Is there a name for a general principle behind this patt

If you just look at the positive odd numbers, {1,3,5,...}, then for any adjacent a, b, P = (a+b)/4. This is pretty easy to see, since if b>a, and a, b are adjacent, then b = a + 2, and P = (a+a+2)/4 = (2a+2)/4 = (a+1)/2. Then, ab = a(a+2), so ab+1 = a(a+2)+1 = a(a+1+1) + 1 = a(a+1)+a+1 = (a+1)(a+1)....
by gorcee
Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:31 pm UTC
Forum: Mathematics
Topic: Complex analysis homework help
Replies: 8
Views: 2028

Re: Complex analysis homework help

Are you familiar with how operations in the complex plane -- and their analog on the Riemann spehere -- behave? For instance, what does adding z1+z2 give you? What does multiplying them give you? What happens if you multiply two things of equal modulus? This might help you with the notion of polynom...
by gorcee
Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:17 am UTC
Forum: Mathematics
Topic: Complex analysis homework help
Replies: 8
Views: 2028

Re: Complex analysis homework help

For the first one, every term in your polynomial is a_n z^n = a_n (a+bi)^n. How can we get the imaginary part of this term? What do you expect it will look like? (Hint: C is commutative, so try the binomial theorem). That's my first guess. Wait sorry, I misread what you're trying to do on my phone. ...
by gorcee
Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:02 pm UTC
Forum: Mathematics
Topic: Mathematical statistics; transformation of error
Replies: 7
Views: 1781

Re: Mathematical statistics; transformation of error

Just remove to covariance terms due to asymptotic normality. Whoops. :oops: I'll be in the corner of the room, if you need me. (And, in retrospect, I don't know how I missed that.) No worries. You probably know a lot more about this stuff than I do, actually. I know enough to more or less follow th...
by gorcee
Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:12 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Questions For The World
Replies: 2216
Views: 457515

Re: Questions For The World

Ok, so in the US, houses are typically framed using 2x4s. I've heard in Canada, they typically use 2x6s, so there's more space for insulation. What about the rest of the world, with your crazy metric system and varied temperatures? As far as I'm aware, you've heard wrong. All the framing I've seen ...
by gorcee
Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:10 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Living alone: anecdotes and such
Replies: 69
Views: 13743

Re: Living alone: anecdotes and such

#1 pro for living alone: not having to close the door when you pee.
by gorcee
Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:03 am UTC
Forum: Mathematics
Topic: Mathematical statistics; transformation of error
Replies: 7
Views: 1781

Re: Mathematical statistics; transformation of error

A good explanation is found in the Wikipedia page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delta_method Essentially, the covariances disappear when the distribution is asymptotically normal. My problem with the Wikipedia page is that I can't extract the formula I gave from what they give me on that page. They...
by gorcee
Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:21 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Questions For The World
Replies: 2216
Views: 457515

Re: Questions For The World

Ok, so in the US, houses are typically framed using 2x4s. I've heard in Canada, they typically use 2x6s, so there's more space for insulation. What about the rest of the world, with your crazy metric system and varied temperatures? As far as I'm aware, you've heard wrong. All the framing I've seen ...
by gorcee
Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:17 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Hype your ripe snipes 'n' gripes
Replies: 28619
Views: 3574277

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Giant Speck wrote:
gorcee wrote:I'm posting from a drive thru line behind some fuckass that ordered 87 things with coupons, so yeah. Go inside if you have that much shit, ffs.

I just went through a drive-thru where someone walked up and started begging for money from each car in line.


Now that is some serious efficiency.
by gorcee
Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:16 am UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: Worst thing you've seen in a lab
Replies: 256
Views: 233168

Re: Worst thing you've seen in a lab

I had an incident in my 9'th grade 'geo-science' class where the teacher was showing us how sodium burned in water. She had a huge 2lb block of it and would shave off a little bit to drop it in a big clear pot. She got called outside by campus security, and some dumb student desided to go up and dr...
by gorcee
Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:14 am UTC
Forum: Mathematics
Topic: Mathematical statistics; transformation of error
Replies: 7
Views: 1781

Re: Mathematical statistics; transformation of error

A good explanation is found in the Wikipedia page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delta_method

Essentially, the covariances disappear when the distribution is asymptotically normal.
by gorcee
Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:37 am UTC
Forum: School
Topic: High School bathroom graffiti: intellectualized
Replies: 246
Views: 96925

Re: High School bathroom graffiti: intellectualized

Chaoszerom wrote:
Monika wrote:What does it mean?


All for 1 and 1 for all, I think, but the first bit's not making much sense to me.


It actually reads "for all negative four, four, one and one for all".
by gorcee
Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:11 am UTC
Forum: Mathematics
Topic: Infinite-digit 'integers'
Replies: 43
Views: 7249

Re: Infinite-digit 'integers'

Since you're doing this work on your own without any formal training, it might be worthwhile to explain some concepts that might be unfamiliar to you. First, you have designed a system of numbers, which is great. And you've made a bit of an attempt to describe operations on those numbers, which you ...
by gorcee
Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:31 am UTC
Forum: Mathematics
Topic: Binomial Theorem over arbitrary field
Replies: 10
Views: 3040

Re: Binomial Theorem over arbitrary field

I wrote my professor to clarify, and he reminded me that a field must have characteristic 0 or p, with p prime. So the issue of a composite characteristic is moot, because it is impossible.
by gorcee
Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:19 am UTC
Forum: Mathematics
Topic: Infinite-digit 'integers'
Replies: 43
Views: 7249

Re: Infinite-digit 'integers'

After looking more closely, I can't believe I overlooked the fact that when the article says a terminating decimal has a terminating p-adic expansion, they're still allowing the p-adic expansion to go right of the decimal. In that case, my numbers are just (at least a subset of) the p-adics. I gues...
by gorcee
Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:40 am UTC
Forum: Mathematics
Topic: Infinite-digit 'integers'
Replies: 43
Views: 7249

Re: Infinite-digit 'integers'

a non-repeating infinite-digit integer has no equivalent standard decimal representation, at least not using the rules I've figured out so far. But why not just admit you're essentially describing the 10-adics, and use the rules people already figured out for them? Right, in which case many of the ...
by gorcee
Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:35 am UTC
Forum: Mathematics
Topic: Infinite-digit 'integers'
Replies: 43
Views: 7249

Re: Infinite-digit 'integers'

I don't see how you can simultaneously claim that ...999 is not an integer, because it has an infinite representation, and that ...9999 = -1. Either you are claiming that representation by infinite "places" yields something that is not an integer, or representation by infinite places can ...
by gorcee
Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:51 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Most interesting person to have dinner with...
Replies: 28
Views: 5459

Re: Most interesting person to have dinner with...

Churchill. Even with vast records, we often underestimate the gravity of the world situation at that time. The people who lived through that era kind of treat it like it was no big thing, but could you imagine if that was happening in the world today?
by gorcee
Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:39 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Hype your ripe snipes 'n' gripes
Replies: 28619
Views: 3574277

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

I'm posting from a drive thru line behind some fuckass that ordered 87 things with coupons, so yeah. Go inside if you have that much shit, ffs.
by gorcee
Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:22 pm UTC
Forum: Mathematics
Topic: Infinite-digit 'integers'
Replies: 43
Views: 7249

Re: Infinite-digit 'integers'

I don't see how you can simultaneously claim that ...999 is not an integer, because it has an infinite representation, and that ...9999 = -1. Either you are claiming that representation by infinite "places" yields something that is not an integer, or representation by infinite places can y...
by gorcee
Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:59 pm UTC
Forum: Mathematics
Topic: Infinite-digit 'integers'
Replies: 43
Views: 7249

Re: Infinite-digit 'integers'

Edit: to address eta: I got what you're saying for the p-adic numbers from his previous thread. However, I still think there's some inconsistency with how he's choosing to define it. Basically, he's attempting the construction as in the wikipedia article, while simultaneously rejecting the multipli...
by gorcee
Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:36 pm UTC
Forum: Mathematics
Topic: Infinite-digit 'integers'
Replies: 43
Views: 7249

Re: Infinite-digit 'integers'

I think that arbiter is attempting to construct the 10-adic numbers and claim that they are isomorphic to the field domain of integers, or perhaps attempt a "correction" of the 10-adic numbers that attempts to bypass the issue of zero divisors. However, his argument in doing so is "bw...
by gorcee
Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:54 pm UTC
Forum: Mathematics
Topic: Infinite-digit 'integers'
Replies: 43
Views: 7249

Re: Infinite-digit 'integers'

Edit: to address eta: I got what you're saying for the p-adic numbers from his previous thread. However, I still think there's some inconsistency with how he's choosing to define it. Basically, he's attempting the construction as in the wikipedia article, while simultaneously rejecting the multiplic...
by gorcee
Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:27 pm UTC
Forum: Mathematics
Topic: Infinite-digit 'integers'
Replies: 43
Views: 7249

Re: Infinite-digit 'integers'

Hold on, I found the real problem with your objection. But first, let's solve ...99982 = 9k for k. In my system, ...99982 evaluates to -18, so k must be something that evaluates to -2. This would be ...9998. Now let's check the solution. ...9998 * 9 = 72+810+8100+... = ...99982 How do we reconcile ...
by gorcee
Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:16 pm UTC
Forum: Mathematics
Topic: Infinite-digit 'integers'
Replies: 43
Views: 7249

Re: Infinite-digit 'integers'

Hold on, I found the real problem with your objection. But first, let's solve ...99982 = 9k for k. In my system, ...99982 evaluates to -18, so k must be something that evaluates to -2. This would be ...9998. Now let's check the solution. ...9998 * 9 = 72+810+8100+... = ...99982 How do we reconcile ...
by gorcee
Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:05 pm UTC
Forum: Mathematics
Topic: Infinite-digit 'integers'
Replies: 43
Views: 7249

Re: Infinite-digit 'integers'

Or, horror of horrors, you've discovered the mysterious number 82/9. This number is not particularly relevant to the property of modular arithmetic you're discussing, because the property you're discussing deals with integers, but that doesn't make 82/9 some sort of false result, it just makes 82/9...
by gorcee
Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:51 pm UTC
Forum: Mathematics
Topic: Infinite-digit 'integers'
Replies: 43
Views: 7249

Re: Infinite-digit 'integers'

You seriously need to spend more time studying actual number theory, and less time spending inventing new number theory. The statement that 82 must be divisible by 9 comes from modular arithmetic identities, which presuppose integer relations. ...99990 \equiv 8 mod 9 implies that ...99990 = 9k + 8 ...
by gorcee
Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:45 pm UTC
Forum: Mathematics
Topic: Kleene's Second Recursion Theorem and more general advice
Replies: 3
Views: 2795

Re: Kleene's Second Recursion Theorem and more general advic

As a western New Yorker, I'd temper gorcee's comments a little. Winters in both Chicago and Ithaca cap out at the freezing point throughout January and February and are milder in December and March. You'll have a winter coat and a hat and gloves and you'll make it. Both cities are going to tend to ...
by gorcee
Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:41 pm UTC
Forum: Mathematics
Topic: Infinite-digit 'integers'
Replies: 43
Views: 7249

Re: Infinite-digit 'integers'

No, I'm really not saying that. What I'm saying is that your "conclusions" are equivalent to that. I'm demonstrating by contradiction that you're wrong. If you think that ...999 = -1, then -9 = 9 * -1 = 9 * (...9999) = ...9991 = (...9999 * 10) + 1 Since -9 \equiv 0 mod 9 and 1 \equiv 1 mo...
by gorcee
Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:29 pm UTC
Forum: Mathematics
Topic: Binomial Theorem over arbitrary field
Replies: 10
Views: 3040

Re: Binomial Theorem over arbitrary field

Yeh, it's probably just an oversight - it seems intuitive that something with k! in the numerator must be divisible by k. The pitful is in forgetting to check whether that divisibility is 'killed' by the denominator. The proof I know for the Freshman's dream uses the one you mentioned as the base c...
by gorcee
Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:24 pm UTC
Forum: Mathematics
Topic: Infinite-digit 'integers'
Replies: 43
Views: 7249

Re: Infinite-digit 'integers'

The thing you're doing with 1- 0.999... isn't a proof that 1 = 0.999.... In fact, it's a commonly used misconception that 1 =/= 0.999.... The argument typically goes just like yours, and then says "since we can never terminate this process, there will always be a 1 in the n+1th decimal place, ...
by gorcee
Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:04 pm UTC
Forum: Mathematics
Topic: Binomial Theorem over arbitrary field
Replies: 10
Views: 3040

Re: Binomial Theorem over arbitrary field

You need p to be prime, as otherwise Binom(p,k)=p!/k!(k-p)! may not be divisible by p for all 0<k<p. As an example, if p=4, and k=2, then Binom(4,2)=6. Right, I see that now. Hm, the book doesn't specify that this must be the case. I wonder if perhaps this is an omission on the author's part. It se...
by gorcee
Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:57 pm UTC
Forum: Mathematics
Topic: Infinite-digit 'integers'
Replies: 43
Views: 7249

Re: Infinite-digit 'integers'

No, it's not. Because we don't add the .1 starting from the left and go right. In your ..99999 example, we're starting from the right and going left. Let's compute ...9999 + 1 step by step. First we get ...9990 with a carried 10. Carrying the 10 gives us ...9900 with a carried 100. Carrying against...

Go to advanced search