Search found 1437 matches

by gorcee
Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:35 pm UTC
Forum: School
Topic: Some general academia rant
Replies: 74
Views: 48990

Re: Some general academia rant

Get a PhD for two reasons, and two reasons only: you have a good sense of what academia is like, and you really, really want to be a professor This is a terrible reason- its like learning to play the guitar because you want to be a rockstar. Yes, but if you really, really, really want to be a rocks...
by gorcee
Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:04 am UTC
Forum: School
Topic: Some general academia rant
Replies: 74
Views: 48990

Re: Some general academia rant

Looking through the papers listed on my honours project supervisor's site, there's only two written exclusively by him in the past dozen years, and the rest are coauthored by grads and former grads. Is this typical? The only atypical thing is that he has two papers written exclusively. Most profess...
by gorcee
Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:27 pm UTC
Forum: School
Topic: Some general academia rant
Replies: 74
Views: 48990

Re: Some general academia rant

Maybe you've been out in the real world before entering grad school. But I'm here right now, literally dealing with these issues at the momen That's adorable! I trust your venerable experience gives you ALL the answers, yes? What's even your point here, that the job security and lack of requirement...
by gorcee
Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:22 pm UTC
Forum: School
Topic: Some general academia rant
Replies: 74
Views: 48990

Re: Some general academia rant

If you think 10 papers in a low impact factor journal is better than one in nature or cell or science, you have a lot of real world exposure to brush up on. You must have imagined the part where I said anything about raising academic impact scores, because I didn't. Reputation as a researcher means...
by gorcee
Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:57 pm UTC
Forum: School
Topic: Some general academia rant
Replies: 74
Views: 48990

Re: Some general academia rant

Ah, yes I agree with you - academics should produce something! My main problem is that it's often based on the number, not quality of papers. Also, professors have other duties than just research. They also have to teach. This is often overlooked so professors that have higher teaching loads will b...
by gorcee
Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:41 pm UTC
Forum: School
Topic: Some general academia rant
Replies: 74
Views: 48990

Re: Some general academia rant

$300-400 is about right for a professor working a subcontract to a private research project. A lot of government research projects have small business and university requirements. For instance, NIH R21 grants and STTR contracts must have a university (or, technically, non-profit research institution...
by gorcee
Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:09 pm UTC
Forum: School
Topic: Some general academia rant
Replies: 74
Views: 48990

Re: Some general academia rant

[...] The publish or perish concept is bullshit. The ivory tower concept is bullshit. Faculty research what they get funded for. Sure, sometimes funding comes for ideas that don't have immediate application. But that's still a long way off of "research for research's sake". Trace back whe...
by gorcee
Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:43 pm UTC
Forum: School
Topic: Some general academia rant
Replies: 74
Views: 48990

Re: Some general academia rant

The thing you have to understand with academia, that you don't really have exposure to as a student, is where funding comes from. Sometimes, there are conditions or expectations with funding to publish a paper. Sometimes, a professor has funding from three different sources to study things that are ...
by gorcee
Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:00 pm UTC
Forum: School
Topic: Getting the most out of your undergraduate education
Replies: 6
Views: 4355

Re: Getting the most out of your undergraduate education

Also keep in mind that students in other countries start university around two years later than here in the US.

So, their "university" is basically two years advanced. It doesn't change a whole lot.
by gorcee
Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:26 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: [SAFESPACE] LGBTIQQA Thread - Queer Support!
Replies: 8248
Views: 1493448

Re: [SAFESPACE] LGBTIQQA Thread - Queer Support!

I feel like I am dying of lack of stress. I have a lot of things to do and instead I just sort of want to lay back and relax. I think a bear or an axe murderer could wander into the room right now and it wouldn't compel me to action. Does anyone have experience with this? I think I genuinely need s...
by gorcee
Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:02 pm UTC
Forum: School
Topic: Student Trolling
Replies: 39
Views: 8674

Re: Student Trolling

You don't feel bad for the kid that loses 20 bucks buying a bag of oregano instead of pot, do you? Do you not? Oh, no. You don't. Because you're an asshole. And cute job picking a flatly illegal transaction as your example of somewhere we're "obviously" not supposed to feel bad about the ...
by gorcee
Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:12 pm UTC
Forum: School
Topic: Student Trolling
Replies: 39
Views: 8674

Re: Student Trolling

fraudsters seek out marks. They intend to victimize their mark. The current discussion is *also* about someone with intent to fuck with someone, it just wasn't premeditated. And fraud is a crime even if it's not premeditated, "seeking out" a mark isn't a necessary part of the concept or o...
by gorcee
Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:19 pm UTC
Forum: School
Topic: Student Trolling
Replies: 39
Views: 8674

Re: Student Trolling

Did you know that at NAVAIR, if you are the engineer that signs off on a program decision, that they hold you criminally liable for any accidents that happen as a result of that decision? That's right. If you sign off on, say, the decision to use a smaller pump for the on-board oxygen system on an ...
by gorcee
Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:49 pm UTC
Forum: School
Topic: Student Trolling
Replies: 39
Views: 8674

Re: Student Trolling

Did you know that at NAVAIR, if you are the engineer that signs off on a program decision, that they hold you criminally liable for any accidents that happen as a result of that decision? That's right. Did you know that as a college student, you do not sign anything like that? Do you know that as a...
by gorcee
Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:40 pm UTC
Forum: School
Topic: Student Trolling
Replies: 39
Views: 8674

Re: Student Trolling

I hope you take the same cavalier attitude toward mistakes when I make an error in some flight control software, and three hundred souls go missing at sea. Or when an investment banker makes a mistake when computing some market trends, and then oops, $2 billion dollars disappear. Or when a retail c...
by gorcee
Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:01 pm UTC
Forum: School
Topic: Student Trolling
Replies: 39
Views: 8674

Re: Student Trolling

The target in question is a college student, so it's time they learn how to act like an adult . And that means doing the due diligence, and that also means verifying the end result. If they look at that email and take it seriously, they honestly are too irresponsible to hold whatever job their even...
by gorcee
Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:01 am UTC
Forum: School
Topic: Student Trolling
Replies: 39
Views: 8674

Re: Student Trolling

The being an asshole part doesn't come so much from the original action, which could have been performed in ignorance, but from the insistence thereafter that no reasonable student would have been fooled, and therefore anyone who was fooled deserved it for being so unreasonable. No reasonable stude...
by gorcee
Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:28 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: [SAFESPACE] LGBTIQQA Thread - Queer Support!
Replies: 8248
Views: 1493448

Re: [SAFESPACE] LGBTIQQA Thread - Queer Support!

UVA woot Okay, listen. Are you veg*n? If you're veg*n I can't help you. But if you're not, then follow these steps closely: 1. Go to Sticks Kebab Shop on Preston Ave. 2. Get the chili spiked beef sirloin platter with creamy lime sauce. 3. Eat it. 4. If there is any space in you, skip to step 6. If ...
by gorcee
Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:10 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: UVa Fires President, Has Impact for Colleges Nationwide
Replies: 12
Views: 4781

Re: UVa Fires President, Has Impact for Colleges Nationwide

The office of the state attorney general declined to comment for this story, citing attorney-client privilege with its client, the board. I do love the smell of corruption in the morning. Mind you, the state Attorney General is Ken Cuccinelli, the same Ken Cuccinelli that tried to a.) inform the st...
by gorcee
Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:30 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: UVa Fires President, Has Impact for Colleges Nationwide
Replies: 12
Views: 4781

Re: UVa Fires President, Has Impact for Colleges Nationwide

If this really an action taken by those with wealth and power to exert their influence as hard as possible, changing University by-laws isn't likely to have much of an effect. Whatever the rules are, the powerful can position themselves however necessary to follow them by the letter while obliterat...
by gorcee
Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:50 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: UVa Fires President, Has Impact for Colleges Nationwide
Replies: 12
Views: 4781

Re: UVa Fires President, Has Impact for Colleges Nationwide

The BoV called an emergency session last weekend at the behest of Rector Helen Dragas. Apparently, only four of sixteen members could attend; critically, the meeting was called when two key members were definitely unable to attend. The action had apparently been in the works for weeks, but three me...
by gorcee
Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:52 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: UVa Fires President, Has Impact for Colleges Nationwide
Replies: 12
Views: 4781

UVa Fires President, Has Impact for Colleges Nationwide

The University of Virginia effectively fired it's recently-hired president, Teresa Sullivan, last weekend. Here is the latest article: http://www2.dailyprogress.com/news/2012/jun/16/sullivan-saga-heads-likely-equally-dramatic-second-ar-1993067/ Why does this matter? UVa is a very good public school ...
by gorcee
Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:57 pm UTC
Forum: Mathematics
Topic: what is the name of this matrix product
Replies: 3
Views: 1407

Re: what is the name of this matrix product

odulwa wrote:Thanks! Also Schur product, big surprise as A is a Schur matrix in my case. (trying to bound solutions to the discrete time Lyapunov equation). Back to the original paper by Schur it is.


Heh, I had to deal with all that whatnot a few years ago. If you get trapped, I might be able to help.
by gorcee
Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:03 am UTC
Forum: School
Topic: Moral Issues with Saving for College
Replies: 23
Views: 9515

Re: Moral Issues with Saving for College

If you've had a recent loss of employment, then I should think that perchance there are other more pressing things that the savings might need to go towards. The reason for throwing out the highest year of income is because higher outlying years are typically farther from the earned income average t...
by gorcee
Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:15 pm UTC
Forum: School
Topic: Moral Issues with Saving for College
Replies: 23
Views: 9515

Re: Moral Issues with Saving for College

Federal loans are based on expected family contribution (EFC). Right, I was under the impression that EFC applied towards loans, where as income alone (and not assets) were used for Grants. But it appears I'm remembering wrong. As far as I understand, everything's based off the estimated family con...
by gorcee
Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:01 pm UTC
Forum: School
Topic: Moral Issues with Saving for College
Replies: 23
Views: 9515

Re: Moral Issues with Saving for College

Federal loans are based on expected family contribution (EFC). EFC is computed as the sum of a percentage of net income and a percentage of net assets (minus a fixed offset). So, a family that saves has higher assets that spends their money on hookers and blow, and therefore has a higher EFC, which ...
by gorcee
Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:19 pm UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: ScienceDirect Down?
Replies: 5
Views: 1817

Re: ScienceDirect Down?

Blargh.

Dammit all, today is a day that I really need it to be the opposite of down.
by gorcee
Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:57 pm UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: ScienceDirect Down?
Replies: 5
Views: 1817

ScienceDirect Down?

Just checking if ScienceDirect is down for everyone, or if it might just be my particular access mode.
by gorcee
Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:36 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Business Casual/Other dress codes
Replies: 25
Views: 14357

Re: Business Casual/Other dress codes

I did link to the page, as good advice, didn't I? I complained about it, yes, but because I, personally, always like to highlight gender assumptions and expectations that people have. This doesn't have anything to do with this forum in particular: I do the same thing in person, and whenever I write...
by gorcee
Fri May 25, 2012 7:38 pm UTC
Forum: Mathematics
Topic: Mathematics and Difficulty
Replies: 5
Views: 1580

Re: Mathematics and Difficulty

Any problem that is just computation is essentially equally easy. Things become hard to people because the human mind can only contain a limited number of things in short-term memory, so the difficulty is not mathematical, but psychological. Beyond that, computational problems are just rules applied...
by gorcee
Fri May 25, 2012 4:15 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Business Casual/Other dress codes
Replies: 25
Views: 14357

Re: Business Casual/Other dress codes

I've seen some advice about business clothing, especially for formal business interviews, for women to wear skirts instead of pants. But that advice always looks seriously out of date: in any business situation I can imagine, a fantastic suit with dress trousers is as good as a skirt.* Maybe the wo...
by gorcee
Thu May 24, 2012 11:13 pm UTC
Forum: Mathematics
Topic: Linear-time arithmetic prime test yields factors
Replies: 13
Views: 4606

Re: Linear-time arithmetic prime test yields factors

Without any further analysis, I wonder if the OP has checked his coding using some fundamental techniques. The OP says it craps out around 10 digits. I'm assuming he doesn't mean 10 bits, but rather 10 decimal digits. 2^32 has 10 decimal digits. An int on most platforms takes up 32 bits -- 10 digits...
by gorcee
Thu May 24, 2012 9:03 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Hype your ripe snipes 'n' gripes
Replies: 28619
Views: 3572975

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

setzer777 wrote:
gorcee wrote:Wow, this thread has turned into Moralizing Asshole Central.


Hm, acronym for that is MAC. Coincidence?


Almost certainly, since I have no idea what the link would be...
by gorcee
Thu May 24, 2012 8:37 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Hype your ripe snipes 'n' gripes
Replies: 28619
Views: 3572975

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Wow, this thread has turned into Moralizing Asshole Central.
by gorcee
Wed May 16, 2012 1:28 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Hype your ripe snipes 'n' gripes
Replies: 28619
Views: 3572975

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

This. Note the not-at-all-reasonable number of those shows that are marked 'Viewed', and yet still apparently cannot be deleted. My fiancèe does the same thing with our netflix queue. She adds hundreds of things at a times, and then will hold onto one disk for 6 months because she's convinced she'l...
by gorcee
Mon May 14, 2012 1:53 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Hype your ripe snipes 'n' gripes
Replies: 28619
Views: 3572975

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

There are non-vegetarian options for supporting animal welfare. As much as I hate to say it, if you source locally, you can usually visit the farms and see how their animals are being treated. I agree that force feeding and some of the other techniques out there are barbaric. At the same time, the &...
by gorcee
Sat May 12, 2012 5:40 pm UTC
Forum: Mathematics
Topic: Macro Machines
Replies: 16
Views: 3542

Re: Macro Machines

Most are probably in papers than have only been read by a handful of people. That describes every paper I've ever written :( I'm in the same boat. Then again, my area is a pretty small area. Pretty much every paper really only gets read by a handful of people. The most wide-read papers are either g...
by gorcee
Sat May 12, 2012 3:33 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Hype your ripe snipes 'n' gripes
Replies: 28619
Views: 3572975

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

It could also be because I've mostly given up in terms of good storytelling in movies - I just don't expect them anymore. =/ When I expect action, I like to get action. When I expect good storytelling, I want good storytelling. If I've had a long couple of weeks of work, and I want to sit down and ...
by gorcee
Sat May 12, 2012 2:25 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Hype your ripe snipes 'n' gripes
Replies: 28619
Views: 3572975

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Movies these days are ticking me off. There have also been bad movies, but why are they all of sudden blockbusters and #1 films? Why do we have to make a new, special effects riddled movie on every marvel hero imagined? How is it that if you drop a few hundo mill in special effects on "Blue Sp...
by gorcee
Wed May 09, 2012 3:25 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Hype your ripe snipes 'n' gripes
Replies: 28619
Views: 3572975

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

SecondTalon wrote:Sort them by date created?


emceng wrote:I have a folder of two years worth of pictures and photos. I sort them by date.

Go to advanced search