Search found 387 matches

by Trebla
Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:48 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Creationism sub-thread
Replies: 354
Views: 55065

Re: Creationism sub-thread

If belief in god always triumphed over experience with science, science would not now exist. It doesn't really bear on the discussion, but it's fun to note that science (as the method we know today focusing on verifiable results) barely does exist (in terms of human history)...
by Trebla
Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:39 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Ethics of AdBlock
Replies: 639
Views: 129526

Re: Ethics of AdBlock

One could certainly argue that the current state of the music industry is a correction (like the housing market after the bubble) from content being locked behind what was essentially monopolies in the distribution chain. Music was over-priced artificially with massive profits going to the labels. ...
by Trebla
Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:06 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Ethics of AdBlock
Replies: 639
Views: 129526

Re: Ethics of AdBlock

Uh, the music industry never recovered from the advent of file sharing and iTunes. Revenues have been steadily falling for the past 15 years and are apparently down over 60% in inflation adjusted dollars since 2000 and revenues are at their lowest point since the 70s. That said, yes, if you believe...
by Trebla
Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:32 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Won't advanced AI inherit humanity's social flaws?
Replies: 131
Views: 30889

Re: Won't advanced AI inherit humanity's social flaws?

Fallible or not, I don't want to be removed from the equation, and don't understand those that do. I would dispute this statement... this is an argument of scope. There are all sorts of "menial" tasks that you want to be removed from... keeping your food cold in the fridge, injecting fuel...
by Trebla
Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:21 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Won't advanced AI inherit humanity's social flaws?
Replies: 131
Views: 30889

Re: Won't advanced AI inherit humanity's social flaws?

Fallible or not, I don't want to be removed from the equation, and don't understand those that do. I would dispute this statement... this is an argument of scope. There are all sorts of "menial" tasks that you want to be removed from... keeping your food cold in the fridge, injecting fuel...
by Trebla
Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:54 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Won't advanced AI inherit humanity's social flaws?
Replies: 131
Views: 30889

Re: Won't advanced AI inherit humanity's social flaws?

It's the same reasons we wouldn't want to be ruled by a "benevolent dictator". At least for me. I'm not sure why "robots running things" is being equated to "unquestioned authority"... I wouldn't want a human running things like a benevolent dictator either... but I'm ...
by Trebla
Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:36 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Won't advanced AI inherit humanity's social flaws?
Replies: 131
Views: 30889

Re: Won't advanced AI inherit humanity's social flaws?

Tyndmyr wrote:
Trebla wrote: Replacing humanity with robots is not a goal anyone (as far as I know) is pursuing...


*shrug* I don't know why not.


That's probably our eventual end-state... but I don't think people are consciously pursuing in a mad-scientist kind of way.
by Trebla
Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:10 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Won't advanced AI inherit humanity's social flaws?
Replies: 131
Views: 30889

Re: Won't advanced AI inherit humanity's social flaws?

Isn't that EXACTLY what we do when raising children? No. Not EXACTLY. And not even really close. First, raising children is time tested for hundreds of thousands of years. Billions of years if you go back to the first organisms that chose to have sex (FSVO "chose"). Toolmaking goes back n...
by Trebla
Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:44 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Won't advanced AI inherit humanity's social flaws?
Replies: 131
Views: 30889

Re: Won't advanced AI inherit humanity's social flaws?

Robots are good when you are the master. However, we are actively trying to make them so good that they no longer need a master, expecting that they will still serve us. If they don't, it's Bad for one reason, and if they do, it's Bad for another. Isn't that EXACTLY what we do when raising children...
by Trebla
Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:23 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: A "Lukewarmer's" thoughts on climate change
Replies: 131
Views: 26059

Re: A "Lukewarmer's" thoughts on climate change

Great, so what are we building instead? Nukes? No? Shit, this is just going to increase the cost of power, isn't it, which'll mostly be felt by the poor. In the states that don't utterly ignore it, of course. Weeee. I don't know if that's necessarily true. The Clean Power Act provides incentives fo...
by Trebla
Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:02 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Disparate Impact and Fair Housing Act (1968)
Replies: 43
Views: 24686

Re: Disparate Impact and Fair Housing Act (1968)

Simply put, I don't understand the cultural background that explains these two laws, and when transplanted to my own experience, they appear absolutely ridiculous and unworkable (not to mention unenforceable). They're very difficult to enforce, and enforcement usually (seems) to only happen when so...
by Trebla
Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:46 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Cars discussion, split from 'other news'
Replies: 448
Views: 46942

Re: Cars discussion, split from 'other news'

For me a lot of the fun in life is about trying new stuff, but targeted advertising seems determined to keep me doing and buying the same things I often do or buy. I want targeted advertising that sometimes says things like "you go to a lot of Turkish restaurants, why not try this well-reviewe...
by Trebla
Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:27 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: 2016 US Presidential Election
Replies: 8482
Views: 1146977

Re: 2016 US Presidential Election

I can't stand the Democrats, and I'm voting for left wing moderate Republicans like Pataki or Christie in the hopes that the rest of the Republicans wake up and say "hey, maybe if we stop making such a stink about abortion and gay rights and mandating Christianity everywhere, and instead be th...
by Trebla
Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:02 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Cars discussion, split from 'other news'
Replies: 448
Views: 46942

Re: Cars discussion, split from 'other news'

There will also be more incentive and ability to keep the mapping up to date when it plays a more vital role. Not necessarily (in regards to incentive), the car can never make the blanket assumption that it's accurate. Mapping must be treated as "general" guidance only, so it only needs t...
by Trebla
Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:55 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Cars discussion, split from 'other news'
Replies: 448
Views: 46942

Re: autodrive cars as spies

How far I drive to work and what grade of gas I use is not public information . In an adversarial transaction such as negotiating the price of a car, I do not want them to have anything that gives them an advantage over me. How is that not public information? Anyone who wants that information could...
by Trebla
Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:09 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Cars discussion, split from 'other news'
Replies: 448
Views: 46942

Re: Cars discussion, split from 'other news'

No, it really isn't. Mountains of garbage evidence are still mountains of garbage. Prosecutors 'sell' evidence to juries for a living, Juries are at best amateurs in evaluating the validity of evidence. Again I reference Frontline: The Real CSI . "Experts" brought in to testify as to the ...
by Trebla
Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:09 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Cars discussion, split from 'other news'
Replies: 448
Views: 46942

Re: Cars discussion, split from 'other news'

It only reduces the number of false positives if the data that's being gathered is actually being analyzed in a valid fashion. It's fine if the data is actually being used correctly, but I have concerns that prosecutors will bring potentially flawed 'evidence' to a jury, and convince the jury that ...
by Trebla
Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:57 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Cars discussion, split from 'other news'
Replies: 448
Views: 46942

Re: Cars discussion, split from 'other news'

Edit: Some of the talk about government use of that data assumes a certain degree of competency. Now i'm not one to claim the government -completely- lacks competency, but we should recall the "do Not Fly" lists that included a four year-old and a rather prominent U.S. representative . Wh...
by Trebla
Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:11 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Cars discussion, split from 'other news'
Replies: 448
Views: 46942

Re: Cars discussion, split from 'other news'

I would imagine metered parking would be a thing of the past. After all, the parking space is only there because people don't want to walk a long distance between their car and the enterance to the building. Instead I see these places becoming pick up and drop off zones. Oh yeah, but in the meantim...
by Trebla
Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:03 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Cars discussion, split from 'other news'
Replies: 448
Views: 46942

Re: Cars discussion, split from 'other news'

Although, there is no reason your car has to be parked particularly near your destination. You can get out and your auto-auto can drive to the nearest public parking lot and park there. Then, when you are ready to go, you simply call your car from your phone and it comes to pick you up. No more tig...
by Trebla
Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:36 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Cars discussion, split from 'other news'
Replies: 448
Views: 46942

Re: Cars discussion, split from 'other news'

commodorejohn wrote:
morriswalters wrote:Suggest a metric defining how good directions have to be to meet your standard.

Easy: it doesn't take me to where the place I want to go isn't.


What single source gives you more correct and accurate directions more consistently than does any automated navigation software?
by Trebla
Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:15 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Cars discussion, split from 'other news'
Replies: 448
Views: 46942

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

I'm not against technology; I'm not even against this technology. I just think folks are jumping the gun a bit. There are still some pretty significant problems to work out, and it seems like folks are just blindly assuming these problems will be worked out because they'd really like it to be that ...
by Trebla
Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:00 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Cars discussion, split from 'other news'
Replies: 448
Views: 46942

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

It is important. The fact that these cars fail to complete a simple test course if you make the surface slippery is pretty important. The fact that they aren't anywhere close to recognizing, much less following, external orders given by police officers, construction crew, and so forth is pretty imp...
by Trebla
Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:00 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Police misbehavior thread
Replies: 6884
Views: 1111004

Re: Police misbehavior thread

I'd say the mafia and mob would definitely count as a gang. I mean, it's kind of typical of the problem that we've got a different word for the black/latino equivalent. Isn't the "Mafia" the name of a specific gang (which eventually came to be a generic term for any "organized crime ...
by Trebla
Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:20 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Police misbehavior thread
Replies: 6884
Views: 1111004

Re: Police misbehavior thread

Unrelated to its current use... the term (probably? I can't back this up with peer-reviewed research) rose to popularity in no small part thanks to Tupac Shakur and his glorification of Thug Life . At the time (and this is fuzzy memories of high school), it was a term of "respect," particu...
by Trebla
Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:02 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Police misbehavior thread
Replies: 6884
Views: 1111004

Re: Police misbehavior thread

A quick google news search for "violent robbery thug" yielded the following top 5 hits in order: * 1 article about the Venezuelan "Court of Thugs", (unrelated so not linking) * Article mentioning white criminals as thugs * Article claiming the murdered victim is not a thug (I cou...
by Trebla
Mon May 04, 2015 3:59 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Orthodox Judaism & Sexism [Title Change]
Replies: 233
Views: 55493

Re: How can I express my vary logical arguments?

Trebla, that was not my question. The therapist is not prescribing medicine. The patient is going to receive is psychological treatment. To restate the question: Should the therapist take the patient's gender into account when deciding what psychological treatments the patient will receive? To be f...
by Trebla
Mon May 04, 2015 12:47 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Orthodox Judaism & Sexism [Title Change]
Replies: 233
Views: 55493

Re: How can I express my vary logical arguments?

Do you agree with me that in terms of mental health, men and women are different? E.g. a therapist should take the patient's gender into account when deciding what techniques and therapies are appropriate. Sure (at least taking your statement purely at face value that there are physiological differ...
by Trebla
Mon May 04, 2015 11:44 am UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Orthodox Judaism & Sexism [Title Change]
Replies: 233
Views: 55493

Re: How can I express my vary logical arguments?

However I assume you'd never try to deny that Orthodox Judaism per say is sexist though, right? For example women aren't allowed to be ordained as Rabbis, correct? I assume as a practising Orthodox Jew you'd argue that there are 'good reasons' for that, but it's sexist purely by definition. I think...
by Trebla
Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:38 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: 2016 US Presidential Election
Replies: 8482
Views: 1146977

Re: 2016 US Presidential Election

mathmannix wrote:Awwon Buww... :(


Too much peanut butter, not enough milk.
by Trebla
Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:06 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: 2016 US Presidential Election
Replies: 8482
Views: 1146977

Re: 2016 US Presidential Election

The runner up thing doesn't work very well so long as you have primary elections. Without primaries, if you use approval or ranked voting, then the Vice President could easily be the runner-up without an issue, although I don't really see the position as necessary in the first place. But what if th...
by Trebla
Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:01 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Self Perception of Gender and Sexuality
Replies: 60
Views: 18825

Re: Self Perception of Gender and Sexuality

The phrase "so intuitive" connected to a claim of untestability makes me twitchy. Sure, it may be that a thought experiment has limitations on the data it can produce, but surely studying identity has other methods of testability besides thought experiments, yes? And surely we can notice ...
by Trebla
Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:06 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Scientific argumentation strategy
Replies: 33
Views: 5181

Re: Scientific argumentation strategy

Personal Experience: I find it tends to work with rational people who take an irrational position. It's a learning experience. Telling someone "You're wrong, here's why" is seen in a negative light... you're looking down on them or some such so they get defensive and justify. Prodding them...
by Trebla
Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:39 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Why is there a need to be labeled? (gender, sexuality, etc)
Replies: 237
Views: 56233

Re: Why is there a need to be labeled? (gender, sexuality, e

gmalivuk wrote:Sai works.


Thankee, sai.
by Trebla
Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:55 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Leonard Nimoy, 1931–2015
Replies: 28
Views: 7505

Re: Leonard Nimoy, 1931–2015

i'm not sure what "before my time" is intended to mean, in the context of recorded media. i mean, woodstock was bmt, but metropolis was shot in the 20's and i've still seen it. I think the accepted use would be something along the lines of "The cultural relevance of the event waned b...
by Trebla
Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:36 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: What is (social) tolerance?
Replies: 39
Views: 15046

Re: What is (social) tolerance?

When most people say "tolerance is good" or "you should be tolerant" for the most part it's a simplification to avoid ridiculously specific definitions which are difficult or impossible to describe perfectly. Just like people say "it's wrong to kill." It isn't really wr...
by Trebla
Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:08 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Police misbehavior thread
Replies: 6884
Views: 1111004

Re: Police misbehavior thread

14 other teens had been killed by cops since Mike Brown . Summarizing the 14 killings based only on information in the article: * 12-year-old male had a BB gun with safety-tip removed. Police were called about "guy with a pistol...probably fake" * 14-year-old male shot opening door. His b...
by Trebla
Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:30 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Raul Rodriguez stand your ground thread
Replies: 29
Views: 7638

Re: Stand your ground thread

Nobody is attacking him. Someone walked into the street and laughed. That's not an attack. Thus, shooting in response to it is not self defense. It isn't regardless of SYG laws. If we're talking about the same paragraph in the linked article... I read it the same way and had to re-read. Someone &qu...
by Trebla
Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:13 pm UTC
Forum: Gaming
Topic: Hearthstone
Replies: 590
Views: 148018

Re: Hearthstone

It's pretty difficult to avoid the power creep without either stagnating or adding too much complexity. And complexity is already growing with all the new special text (spare parts, recombobulation, piloted golems, oh my). Too much of that and the barrier for entry becomes too high. With power creep...
by Trebla
Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:25 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Police misbehavior thread
Replies: 6884
Views: 1111004

Re: Police misbehavior thread

The only evidence we have of Wilson's racism is that he's as much a racist as practically anyone in america is. That is to say, he lives in a society that has pervasive, systemic racism present in it. That systemic racism may have made him more afraid for his life when he shot brown and it may even...

Go to advanced search