Search found 6504 matches

by Thesh
Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:18 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: 2016 US Presidential Election
Replies: 8482
Views: 809268

Re: 2016 US Presidential Election

Kevin Drum notes that Trump's primary trait he looks for in a candidate is that they are people that he sees as enemies of his enemies. If that is going to be his main objective for his Presidency, I am fucking scared for this country.

http://m.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/201 ... mp-roundup
by Thesh
Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:03 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: 2016 US Presidential Election
Replies: 8482
Views: 809268

Re: 2016 US Presidential Election

My most immediate concern is that Trump's top priority is going to be to seek vengeance on the media outlets and journalists that gave him unfavorable coverage, as well as political opponents. This fucking scares me when combined with what Izawwlgood mentioned.
by Thesh
Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:18 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: 2016 US Presidential Election
Replies: 8482
Views: 809268

Re: 2016 US Presidential Election

Yeah, honestly, if you're looking for a silver lining in the Trump presidency, the fact that he isn't a religious nutjob is certainly one of the things you could be taking away from it. He's happy to pander to them for votes, but it seems fairly clear he's not personally invested in religious cause...
by Thesh
Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:38 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: 2016 US Presidential Election
Replies: 8482
Views: 809268

Re: 2016 US Presidential Election

I know a foreign born, brownish guy (i.e., someone likely to be targeted by racists) that voted Trump, because he was convinced that Hillary was too much in bed with the ruling elite, and that we'd benefit more from the system being destroyed than from the system continuing to oppress us. Yes, some...
by Thesh
Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:27 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: 2016 US Presidential Election
Replies: 8482
Views: 809268

Re: 2016 US Presidential Election

What reasons YOU see are not the same as the reasons THEY see. They might see a candidate that, as repugnant as he is, is not "owned" by the wall street elite, that the ruling members of society despise, that doesn't like about who he is; he might be a complete asshole, but there is no su...
by Thesh
Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:18 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: 2016 US Presidential Election
Replies: 8482
Views: 809268

Re: 2016 US Presidential Election

It's funny that "empathy" is being used to describe this. I might disagree with someone, even quite strongly, and still empathize with them. Let's use a less divisive example than Trump for this. Ben Carson...dude has some whacked out beliefs. Some of which could likely cause a great deal...
by Thesh
Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:55 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: 2016 US Presidential Election
Replies: 8482
Views: 809268

Re: 2016 US Presidential Election

And yet, who are you going to call on to lobby President Trump to support Transgender rights? Peter Thiel, the only openly gay billionare who is in the inner circle. The libertarian who thinks the government should stay out of it? Yeah, good luck with that. Better than relying on A Wet Rag Stuffed ...
by Thesh
Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:50 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: 2016 US Presidential Election
Replies: 8482
Views: 809268

Re: 2016 US Presidential Election

KnightExemplar wrote:And yet, who are you going to call on to lobby President Trump to support Transgender rights?

Peter Thiel, the only openly gay billionare who is in the inner circle.


The libertarian who thinks the government should stay out of it? Yeah, good luck with that.
by Thesh
Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:47 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: 2016 US Presidential Election
Replies: 8482
Views: 809268

Re: 2016 US Presidential Election

I think a better example was the backlash against Peter Thiel. (EDIT: Used to say "censorship", but that was definitely the wrong word to use) The executives at YCombinator took a lot of flack for saying "I disagree with Peter Thiel, but he's still my friend". Because simple ass...
by Thesh
Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:40 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: 2016 US Presidential Election
Replies: 8482
Views: 809268

Re: 2016 US Presidential Election

Edit #2: As a concrete example, "trigger warnings" are much mocked. The left describes them as a way to avoid PTSD, etc, but the right, who actually has a disproportionate amount of combat vets and the like, doesn't see them as that at all, but merely as a way to avoid topics they dislike...
by Thesh
Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:34 pm UTC
Forum: Gaming
Topic: Gaming fleeting thoughts
Replies: 623
Views: 80006

Re: Gaming fleeting thoughts

Well, now Civ 6 started crashing in this save whenever a unit is damaged. I think I'll wait for the next patch.
by Thesh
Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:04 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: 2016 US Presidential Election
Replies: 8482
Views: 809268

Re: 2016 US Presidential Election

My first post was poorly worded. I probably should have said "That's not an example of him running a business well from any meaningful standpoint."
by Thesh
Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:47 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: 2016 US Presidential Election
Replies: 8482
Views: 809268

Re: 2016 US Presidential Election

I think I know what you mean, but it isn't what you said. You made an assertion that he didn't run his business well. I was responding to this: An example of a terrible businessman would be someone who didn't come back from all of those bankruptcies and defaults. "He didn't run his business we...
by Thesh
Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:00 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: 2016 US Presidential Election
Replies: 8482
Views: 809268

Re: 2016 US Presidential Election

No one says it, but then they come back and say "Well, he must not be too bad if he can come back from bankruptcy." - and then people assume I must be saying he's a horrible businessman - I'm just saying that it means absolutely nothing (which of course, means I have to give a detailed fi...
by Thesh
Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:30 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: 2016 US Presidential Election
Replies: 8482
Views: 809268

Re: 2016 US Presidential Election

No one says it, but then they come back and say "Well, he must not be too bad if he can come back from bankruptcy." - and then people assume I must be saying he's a horrible businessman - I'm just saying that it means absolutely nothing (which of course, means I have to give a detailed fin...
by Thesh
Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:41 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: 2016 US Presidential Election
Replies: 8482
Views: 809268

Re: 2016 US Presidential Election

At that level, everyone exploits "tax loopholes". It's normal and legal, they do it. As an aside, the greater difficulty the non-rich have in benefitting from certain tax laws is a good reason for cleaning up the tax code, but if we're talking about how well the rich run businesses, it's ...
by Thesh
Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:30 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: 2016 US Presidential Election
Replies: 8482
Views: 809268

Re: 2016 US Presidential Election

But again, he came back from those Bankruptcies and defaults only because he had the money to afford the lawyers that could exploit the tax loophole. Exactly how much of Trump's financial activity are you privy to? This is a known fact - when his casino's failed, he didn't take a loss, other people...
by Thesh
Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:53 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: 2016 US Presidential Election
Replies: 8482
Views: 809268

Re: 2016 US Presidential Election

But again, he came back from those Bankruptcies and defaults only because he had the money to afford the lawyers that could exploit the tax loophole. He didn't run his business well from any meaningful standpoint, but he was, in fact, still rich so he didn't have to suffer any consequences. Again, t...
by Thesh
Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:29 am UTC
Forum: Gaming
Topic: Gaming fleeting thoughts
Replies: 623
Views: 80006

Re: Gaming fleeting thoughts

So giving gifts in civ6 seems to have no effect. The bonus goes away next round, and I can never seem to get any sort of more favorable relationship no matter how generous and friendly I am.
by Thesh
Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:04 pm UTC
Forum: Forum Games
Topic: The "Thread Necromancy" Game
Replies: 17115
Views: 1353929

Re: The "Thread Necromancy" Game

srykt
by Thesh
Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:21 pm UTC
Forum: Gaming
Topic: Gaming fleeting thoughts
Replies: 623
Views: 80006

Re: Gaming fleeting thoughts

So a Civ 6 patch came out a couple days ago, huge number of balancing/AI updates, as well as various new features and bug fixes: https://civilization.com/news/entries/civilization-vi-fall-2016-update-now-live Changes: [NEW] ⋅ Maps ⋅  Added a balanced six player map. ⋅  ...
by Thesh
Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:13 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: 2016 US Presidential Election
Replies: 8482
Views: 809268

Re: 2016 US Presidential Election

Fixated on that link? Seriously? I've been asking you to clarify this statement, where you were saying this, specifically, using the number you got from the piece of the article that I quoted: The Washington Post article was about Latino turn out. They estimated Trump only got 18%. Again, I stand by...
by Thesh
Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:54 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: 2016 US Presidential Election
Replies: 8482
Views: 809268

Re: 2016 US Presidential Election

Now I know you are just arguing for the sake of arguing. You've even forgotten what you were arguing before; let me remind you: Even the exits, however, find that the Latino electorate gave a supermajority of its vote to Clinton. Figuring in the increase in Latino voters, Donald Trump received only ...
by Thesh
Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:48 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: 2016 US Presidential Election
Replies: 8482
Views: 809268

Re: 2016 US Presidential Election

Lucrece wrote:Um, yes. They can be both. They turned out for Hillary in record proportions because Hillary got more total votes than Obama did in his elections from Hispanics


Huh? Okay, you have no fucking clue what the word "proportion" means.
by Thesh
Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:32 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: 2016 US Presidential Election
Replies: 8482
Views: 809268

Re: 2016 US Presidential Election

Does the other article make your comment not nonsense? You seem to be arguing that Latinos turned out for Hillary in record proportions but voted for Trump in record proportions. I don't know why you make the distinction between "turnout" and "votes" because in this context they ...
by Thesh
Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:21 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: 2016 US Presidential Election
Replies: 8482
Views: 809268

Re: 2016 US Presidential Election

Lucrece wrote:The Washington Post article was about Latino turn out. They estimated Trump only got 18%. The other articles did differently.


What does that even mean? That's a complete nonsense statement.
by Thesh
Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:09 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: 2016 US Presidential Election
Replies: 8482
Views: 809268

Re: 2016 US Presidential Election

Even the exits, however, find that the Latino electorate gave a supermajority of its vote to Clinton. Figuring in the increase in Latino voters, Donald Trump received only 18 percent of the Latino vote, the lowest level on record for any presidential candidate . Hillary got a larger Latino turnout ...
by Thesh
Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:36 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: 2016 US Presidential Election
Replies: 8482
Views: 809268

Re: 2016 US Presidential Election

gmalivuk wrote:(But then, I guess the whole of reality drank that Twitter Kool-Aid, so whatever the actual numbers have to say is probably bullshit, right?)


Reality is so 2014.
by Thesh
Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:38 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: 2016 US Presidential Election
Replies: 8482
Views: 809268

Re: 2016 US Presidential Election

Ehh... A thirty (plus) year propaganda campaign, convincing people the mainstream media was lying to them, and then getting them to only believe them, combined with a complacent mainstream media who didn't counter because they didn't want to seem biased, and whose idea of being balanced is treating ...
by Thesh
Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:38 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: 2016 US Presidential Election
Replies: 8482
Views: 809268

Re: 2016 US Presidential Election

I find it baffling that anyone might think all of this is just the sign of a mediocre business person; what on earth does a terrible business person look like, then? Well, if you assume we live in a meritocracy where wealth is dependent primarily on good decision making, and thus wealth is a proxy ...
by Thesh
Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:39 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: 2016 US Presidential Election
Replies: 8482
Views: 809268

Re: 2016 US Presidential Election

Putting money in such a fund isn't "luck". Most people don't even know such a fund exists. I didn't say that was luck, but it's not skill. It's purely about expected returns, so knowing whether a fund exists or not is irrelevant - you google investment advice and you get it. You invest, w...
by Thesh
Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:58 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: 2016 US Presidential Election
Replies: 8482
Views: 809268

Re: 2016 US Presidential Election

You're the one who brought up the index? If you want to make a broader point, then sure, there are conservative approaches to investment that allow rich people to stay rich with little skill or effort. But Trump didn't take those approaches, so how is it relevant? If he had a cautious and calculati...
by Thesh
Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:40 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: 2016 US Presidential Election
Replies: 8482
Views: 809268

Re: 2016 US Presidential Election

Now I'm just confused; do you have a point to make or is this being pedantic for the sake of being pedantic? I am saying what you are proposing for Trump's alternative to investing in real estate, "investing in an index fund" wasn't really an option. I see the problem. The forum software ...
by Thesh
Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:16 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: 2016 US Presidential Election
Replies: 8482
Views: 809268

Re: 2016 US Presidential Election

Trump probably has too much money to invest in an index fund without pretty adversely affecting that fund. That's not what I said - I said if you started out investing in an index fund, you'd probably be richer. The point is that staying rich doesn't necessarily imply anything. So index funds weren...
by Thesh
Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:07 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: 2016 US Presidential Election
Replies: 8482
Views: 809268

Re: 2016 US Presidential Election

Trump probably has too much money to invest in an index fund without pretty adversely affecting that fund. That's not what I said - I said if you started out investing in an index fund, you'd probably be richer. The point is that staying rich doesn't necessarily imply anything. As much as he might ...
by Thesh
Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:49 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: 2016 US Presidential Election
Replies: 8482
Views: 809268

Re: 2016 US Presidential Election

It can be down to luck that you hit it really big in business ala Silicon Valley, but top businessmen with consistent records of getting and staying rich for decades doesn't happen by mere good luck. Considering how many people inherited their wealth and stayed rich forever, I think that's probably...
by Thesh
Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:31 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: 2016 US Presidential Election
Replies: 8482
Views: 809268

Re: 2016 US Presidential Election

Tyndmyr wrote:And what, exactly, does your "chance is mostly responsible" theory tell us that's useful about Trump?

Do you honestly believe that it's mostly a matter of chance if he'll be a good leader or not?


Jesus Fucking Christ. How the hell are you posting here if you can't read?
by Thesh
Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:26 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: 2016 US Presidential Election
Replies: 8482
Views: 809268

Re: 2016 US Presidential Election

Believing that success is a result of chance, rather than your own efforts, is strongly correlated with a lack of success. I did not say that it was entirely chance, I said that chance is just as important as anything; you are the one who is saying that success is based primarily on a single thing ...
by Thesh
Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:47 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: 2016 US Presidential Election
Replies: 8482
Views: 809268

Re: 2016 US Presidential Election

Business is usually a matter of who makes the least errors, rather than a litany of stunning ideas or whatever Hollywood portrays it as. In focusing on failed businesses, there is naturally some cherry picking to get the instances with more failure, since...that's why they failed. That's not even a...
by Thesh
Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:00 pm UTC
Forum: Coding
Topic: Coding: Fleeting Thoughts
Replies: 9841
Views: 1641756

Re: Coding: Fleeting Thoughts

You can gain a hell of a lot of that kind of knowledge on stack overflow, reading through all the answers and comments, following the links to various blogs, etc. as well as just googling for solutions to problems, and you can find all sorts of forum posts (I believe this site qualifies), blog posts...

Go to advanced search