IRC not working

Need the mods or admins to do something for you? Post here. Read the "About" post first.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Jb791

IRC not working

Postby Jb791 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:10 pm UTC

As it says on the tin. IRC is flat out refusing to connect. I’m using irc.foonetic.net as the address, it won’t even connect. What am I doing wrong?

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Re: IRC not working

Postby SecondTalon » Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:37 pm UTC

Foonetic.net is currently down.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Antior

Postby Antior » Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:56 pm UTC

IRC regular here -

Foonetic has been very very unstable for months, and the people in charge of the network don't seem able or willing to do anything about it. The current spambot attack only has made things worse.

You can still connect to Foonetic right now by going directly to /server tamarin.foonetic.net:6667 or rhesus.foonetic.net:6667 but we don't know how long it'll hold.

The operators of the main #xkcd channel have set up a backup channel #xkcd on irc.slashnet.org, as described on wiki.xkcd.com. If Foonetic stays this unstable or goes down entirely we have to consider moving the chat there permanently, although this is easier said than done because we'd need to reach Randall to get him to change the links on the site and such.

Jb791

Postby Jb791 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:29 pm UTC

Ok, thanks all for your replies :)

Antior

Postby Antior » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:34 pm UTC

We have now fully moved the channel to irc.slashnet.org.

Randall supported the move, we just have to find a way to reach him now and ask him to update the links on xkcd.com/about (and perhaps in unixkcd). wiki.xkcd.com already links to the new network.

Return to “Site/Forum issues”