Mod Madness 2014 SFI Question Compliation Thread

Need the mods or admins to do something for you? Post here. Read the "About" post first.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

BlackSails

Mod Madness 2014 SFI Question Compliation Thread

Postby BlackSails » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:50 pm UTC

All three Mod Madness 2014 SFI question threads condensed and locked for being obsolete.

- Az

Just wondering, how do you make sure the word filters are invertible?

Like a filter that maps A->B, when you undo it, how do you distinguish between things that were originally A, and things that were originally B?

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Re: Word sieve dem

Postby poxic » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:58 pm UTC

The site has a copy of what was posted. I suspect the filters are applied at display time, so when the filters are removed the original posts will return to the way they were entered.

Except for the sieves that the mods really like. Those might become permanent.
In everyone's life, at some time, our inner fire goes out. It is then burst into flame by an encounter with another human being. We should all be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner spirit.
- Albert Schweitzer, philosopher, physician, musician, Nobel laureate (14 Jan 1875-1965)

LE4dGOLEM
is unique......wait, no!!!!

Postby LE4dGOLEM » Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:50 pm UTC

That's correct. As a consequence, quoted posts will remain screwy after filters are removed.
Image Une See Fights - crayon super-ish hero webcomic!
doogly wrote:It would just be much better if it were not shitty.

Viglen

Postby Viglen » Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:24 pm UTC

Is there no way to turn the damn thing off? English is hard enough as it is without this stupid artificial accent stuck over the top of it.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:28 pm UTC

Post while avoiding listed phrases.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Viglen

Postby Viglen » Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:33 pm UTC

Is there a list of them? I have looked but see nothing obviously marked "phrases to avoid if you have enough trouble reading English already"

Edit: "Although based on my line above, can I just put quotes around everything and be done with it?"

apricity
almost grown-up but not quite

Postby apricity » Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:43 pm UTC

No. This only lasts for a few days and it will be back to normal. Either you can live with it or you can leave for a few days. There is an announcement at the top of every forum saying this is happening. If you complain any more you'll just be banned until it's over. The point of this is for the mods to have a little fun because we volunteer our time the rest of the year to keep this forum running.

This is also not a Site or Forum Issue, because it is planned, so there's no need to discuss it in here.
LE4d wrote:have you considered becoming an electron

it takes just a little practice to learn to be
(she/her/hers)

Viglen

Postby Viglen » Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:59 pm UTC

deh be an announcement at de top ah every forum a say dis be happening.

Do you mean the one about "Furious Doodlings"? I had a look at it and had no idea what it was talking about, and when I realised I'd have to translate it into English myself, I gave up on it.

I'll leave, like you suggest (although it hardly seems fair to threaten to ban people when the warnings about it are themselves subject to the ridiculous changes; I assumed some script kiddie had broken in and done it all until you explained it was meant to be like this).

apricity
almost grown-up but not quite

Postby apricity » Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:21 pm UTC

We aren't banning people for not knowing about it, we're banning people for complaining once they do know about it and have been told to quit complaining. And that's officially the last comment I'll make about it. Adios.
LE4d wrote:have you considered becoming an electron

it takes just a little practice to learn to be
(she/her/hers)

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:03 pm UTC

Viglen wrote:
deh be an announcement at de top ah every forum a say dis be happening.

Do you mean de one about "Furious Doodlings"? I had a look at it an' had no idea wa it was talking about, an' when I realised I'd have to translate it into English myself, I gave up pon it.

Me goin leave, like you suggest (although it hardly seems fair to threaten to ban people dem when de warnings about it be themselves subject to de ridiculous changes; I assumed some script kiddie had broken in an' done it all till you explained it was meant a be like dis).

See, that was your cue to say "Whoa, I'm new, what's going on? Madness? Gibberish? Help?"

Since you didn't, I have no pity for your predicament.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

"Fluff" thread closed? Accident?

Postby Giant Speck » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:43 am UTC

Unless this some part of all the madness that I don't understand, I think the Fluff (general shit) thread in the General forum accidentally got closed by a moderator.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Re: "Fluff" tread closed? Accident?

Postby poxic » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:49 am UTC

The Time thread was closed for four hours, so this might be continued shenanigans. The fact that the closing post was made by the same (long-banned) userid is one clue.

I'm debating whether to start a "Fluff 2" thread.
In everyone's life, at some time, our inner fire goes out. It is then burst into flame by an encounter with another human being. We should all be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner spirit.
- Albert Schweitzer, philosopher, physician, musician, Nobel laureate (14 Jan 1875-1965)

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:55 am UTC

The most active threads on the site are getting closed for a bit at a time.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:57 am UTC

gmalivuk wrote:de most active tread dem pon de site be a get closed for a bit at a time.

Thanks. I've only been on the fora long enough today to see that it had been closed and not a lot else.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

Jonathan589

Caribbean English

Postby Jonathan589 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:04 am UTC

I am an egg and do not understand why the entire forum--since Sunday--has suddenly been translated into a sort of Jamaican English. Accessing it from different computers gets me the same result, accessing anywhere else does not. I see no other puzzled comments about it. I didn't do nuthin'. It wasn't April Fool's Day until today so I doubt a clever Randall thing. Can you tell me has my computer a problem or has XKCD?

For example:
Dis ting wa ahbe all talkin' about Forum Rules - Updated Nov. 13th 2012
Postby hermaj » Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:46 am UTC
dese be de forum rules in dey most simple format. Explanations ah each rule kyan be found in de following post. Some forums have additional specific rules dat kyan be found in stickies an' announcements in de appropriate areas.

(Previewing this post shows me it happening live)

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Re: Caribbean English

Postby Red Hal » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:07 am UTC

Around this time of year on these forums, the moderating staff get to have a little fun for a week or so. The changes to the text you are seeing are custom wordfilters applied as part of these high-jinks. Relax, things will go back to normal soon; though the odd nose may remain out of joint.
Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."

eSOANEM
:D

Postby eSOANEM » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:10 am UTC

The announcement "Very Model Of A big man ting General Furious Doodling 2014 : de Announcement" at the top of each forum includes a print-screened (and so de-filtered) explanation of the furious doodling.
my pronouns are they

Magnanimous wrote:(fuck the macrons)

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:13 pm UTC

If it bothers you because it's unreadable, wait a few days and it'll be over. If it bothers you for some other reason, feel free to discuss why.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Jonathan589

Postby Jonathan589 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:41 pm UTC

Whew. It does give me great relief, bothers me not at all now I know the reason, and my dose is not in the slightest out of joint. Thank you all for the reassurance that I haven't let something wicked in without realising.

Jonathan

Return to “Site/Forum issues”