FAO ExplainXKCD wiki

Need the mods or admins to do something for you? Post here. Read the "About" post first.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

FAO ExplainXKCD wiki

Postby Soupspoon » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:48 am UTC

(My excuse us that this subforum seems to handle a wide variety of XKCDish things… At the very least, there's readers here who are registered writers there, I know, so could get around the problem to tell others of the problem, if it hasn't yet been reported.)

Just found myself (without registration, and not getting one just for this) stymied by the ReCaptcha authentication box.

The 'image' word is basically text telling me that something in the Captcha is changing on 31/Mar. It then won't accept this text as authentication (as I presumed it wouldn't, but it was worth a go anyway for a moment or two of mild amusement) and therefore won't accept my attempted edit.

(And if someone could put one or more </marquee> tags as a final closing comment/header at the end of the 1965 page comments section, with "just for completion's sake… ~~~~" to justify it , that'd basically be what I was going to add. Now it's up to someone else whether it was worth it. :P )

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Re: FAO ExplainXKCD wiki

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:08 pm UTC

Yeah. This is basically for www.xkcd.com and forums.xkcd.com problems. Services for fora.xkcd.com isn’t assured, and that simply redirects to forums.xkcd.com

We really can’t help you with a ReCaptcha problem on ExplainXKCD wiki.

You would need to contact ReCaptcha for assistance. The problem is on their end.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

flicky1991
Like in Cinderella?

Postby flicky1991 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:49 pm UTC

I've seen this problem in other places that use ReCaptcha, so it's definitely not the wiki's fault.
any pronouns
----
Forum Games Discord
(tell me if link doesn't work)

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:59 pm UTC

The problem is clearly for the 'clients' of ReCaptcha, because they may not be aware of the service change by ReCaptcha (which is RC"s fault, if the only way they are promulgating the information is the thing I saw, which is only visible to people who are as far from being the people who could deal with the problem as you could imagine1...) Very few Administrator-level people on such a service will ever voluntarily retain a habitual "CAPTCHA-needed" access-level on a spare browser, and will probably have to dig up a spare machine/less-used browsing client install to even follow my breadcrumb to check the current situation, see the URL mentioned and follow it to resolve the issue.

I'm assuming that there was also a mail-out sent to administrators registered to use the service, but we all know that such an infrequent communication on a possibly mostly unmonitored contact address (or, worse, burying itself within piles and piles of mostly useless newsletters, digests and traffic analysis reports, provoking a manual or automatic filingaway into a (semi-)Spam mail folder).

SecondTalon wrote:Yeah. This is basically for http://www.xkcd.com and forums.xkcd.com problems. Services for fora.xkcd.com isn’t assured, and that simply redirects to forums.xkcd.com

Soupspoon wrote:(My excuse us that this subforum seems to handle a wide variety of XKCDish things… At the very least, there's readers here who are registered writers there, I know, so could get around the problem to tell others of the problem, if it hasn't yet been reported.)

I consider the job that I intended t do to be done, using the most direct method I could think of2. If you want to shuffle it elsewhere, please do. I had thought maybe to try the Helpdesk subforum, among others, except that I'm not seeking the help myself, just trying to get those who should do to work it out themselves. On balance, I think I'm happier to have 'misposted' here than to not have tried anything, and acknowledge that I've transgressed slightly but all in good faith and full awareness and with the mea culpa prepared in advance. Not the best practice, maybe, but already keyed into my own moral compass.

Having commended this information to the wide open space of the infosphere (at least until someone else above my paygrade considers hiding it into a /dev/null location) I leave its future to fate and various flavours of TPTB, yourselves and your various kin elsewhere. I've now written far more about it than I had intended.

1 Ironic that the message "this won't work after 31st of March" makes the very same thing not work now.
2 Creating a new Wiki-login, additional to the more ancient one that I haven't used for ages and can't remember the password/contact-email details for, would have taken me past a ReCaptcha test of its own, so not worth trying when I know this would work.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:35 pm UTC

If there is overlap that you wanted to inform, do it in General, as it's not an xkcd site/forum issue.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:42 pm UTC

I understand this is the most direct method you can think of...

But you’re still putting a poster of your complaints on Yum! Center about FedEx deliveries to a Kroger regarding their Taco Bell related items.

(Yum! being the corporate entity that owns Taco Bell, KFC, and others; the Yum! Center being the event arena that really really should have been called The Bucket)

There’s..... really not a lot we can do. The problem is with ReCaptcha. It’s happening on ExplainXKCD. davean has nothing to do with that site. Like, I get that you’re trying, but....

What you should do is send a tweet to https://mobile.twitter.com/jeff_underscore

As that’s the guy who actually runs ExplainXKCD.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Return to “Site/Forum issues”