XKCD Book - ever?

Need the mods or admins to do something for you? Post here. Read the "About" post first.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Re: Is there ever going to be an XKCD book?

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:37 am UTC

Foldouts cost money, something that if in-house published would drive up the cost of the book, and if published by an outside publisher would likely be a no-go, as the publisher is probably not going to front the cash needed for that on a webcomic artist.

/just sayin'
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

kaitou

Postby kaitou » Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:41 am UTC

The problem with doing an xkcd book is getting the page to do something when you hover your mouse over it...

I guess it would have to be a pop-up book.

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:41 am UTC

ST: Yarly. They're going to have to do something non-traditional, and non-traditional equals expensive, so they're either going to have to find a really enthusiastic, rich publisher who happens to fall in love with them, or raise a lot o' monies. Neither of these things are easy.

Baza210

Postby Baza210 » Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:24 am UTC

And fold out pages are so.. clunky.
Here I'm allowed everything all of the time

RealGrouchy
Nobody Misses Me As Much As Meaux.

Postby RealGrouchy » Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:03 am UTC

sje46 wrote:I would love the book too, and I think it would be a smart business decision as well, but I'm pretty sure Randall said something about it.
EDIT:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18054&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=book
It's lovely people like you who make moderation so much easier.

Merg'd.

Edit: didn't realize this was in S/FI. Meh.

- RG>
Jack Saladin wrote:etc., lock'd
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:At least he has the decency to REMOVE THE GAP BETWEEN HIS QUOTES....
Sungura wrote:I don't really miss him. At all. He was pretty grouchy.

Gojoe

Re: XKCD Book - ever?

Postby Gojoe » Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:22 am UTC

Are fold out pages really that expensive? I do not know anything about publishing AT ALL. But i know magazines do it all the time. I figure they must of figured out a cheap way of doing it... Maybe that is the difference between a magazine and a book.
michaelandjimi wrote:Oh Mr Gojoe
I won't make fun of your mojo.
Though in this fora I serenade you
I really only do it to aid you.
*Various positive comments on your masculinity
That continue on into infinity*

Feeble accompanying guitar.

b.i.o
Green is the loneliest number

Postby b.i.o » Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:22 am UTC

Gojoe wrote:Are fold out pages really that expensive? I do not know anything about publishing AT ALL. But i know magazines do it all the time. I figure they must of figured out a cheap way of doing it... Maybe that is the difference between a magazine and a book.

As you said, it's something that magazines do all of the time, and so something I expect magazine publishers are more well-equipped to deal with more economically. I don't know the specifics, but I do know that the costs can get very large very quickly.

Ross,

Postby Ross, » Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:31 pm UTC

roc314 wrote:You could always have fold out pages for comics like 'Height'; you would have to, unless you wanted to split it across several pages.

That made me think: pop-up xkcd :)
Spoiler:
This spoiler is empty.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:57 pm UTC

Gojoe wrote:Are fold out pages really that expensive? I do not know anything about publishing AT ALL. But i know magazines do it all the time. I figure they must of figured out a cheap way of doing it... Maybe that is the difference between a magazine and a book.

Magazines use a cheaper quality of paper for one. It's quite a bit more flexible than book paper.. I mean, your usual magazine should last a couple of months via regular use before it starts to fall to pieces. A book is supposed to stick together for a lifetime. Now, I'll grant you that you usually don't flip through a book as much as you do a magazine... but that's assuming a standard narrative start-at-the-front-read-to-the-back kinda deal. A cartoon book, like this would be, is something that's meant to be flipped to any random page at any moment, so they need even more specialized paper and binding to keep them together.

Slapping a fold out - especially a vertical fold out - in that just skyrockets the cost.

Most magazines that do fold outs do horizontal fold outs and you rotate the magazine. Books usually don't want you rotating them as, due to the size, it's often harder to do so.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Baza210

Postby Baza210 » Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:37 pm UTC

A fold-out xkcd calendar might work though.
Here I'm allowed everything all of the time

Gojoe

Postby Gojoe » Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:21 pm UTC

Or maybe a page a day one. And on special days (like randals birthday) something bad ass happens. Like maybe he sneaks in a new xkcd comic or something.

There is already a thread about an xkcd calendar. This is a thread about an xkcd book.
michaelandjimi wrote:Oh Mr Gojoe
I won't make fun of your mojo.
Though in this fora I serenade you
I really only do it to aid you.
*Various positive comments on your masculinity
That continue on into infinity*

Feeble accompanying guitar.

Alder

Postby Alder » Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:22 pm UTC

roc314 wrote:You could always have fold out pages for comics like 'Height'; you would have to, unless you wanted to split it across several pages.

I thought this reminded me of something, so I poked through my Far Side books, and Cows of Our Planet has a double foldout in the middle - full-colour with glossy paper. I'm pretty sure one or two of the other books have something similar as well.

There are 159 cartoons in that book. So...you don't necessarily need hundreds to fill a book - they're mostly two to a page, but some are a full page.
Plasma Man wrote:I might have to get rid of some of my breadbins.

Kulantan wrote:I feel a great disturbance in the Fora, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and then kinda trailed off to a grumble.

rdent90

Postby rdent90 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:49 am UTC

im pretty new to xkcd, only found out about it a few months ago. ive read all the comics at least once and many more than that and i still crack up whenever i read them. i am seriously condiering going through all 500 of them and copying them into word and printing it out just so i can read them whenever and give them to people i know. if there was an xkcd book id buy 10 or 20 copies give 8 or 18 to friends and raise the other two as my children.

if they called for donations to help get it out the ground id do that too. oh god i want an xkcd book.

Meowgan
<3 Everyone [...] Especially Gordon

Postby Meowgan » Fri May 01, 2009 5:40 am UTC

<L> dude. she made a motherfucking stargate.
<L> you need to keep this girl. do whatever it takes.

joshz

Postby joshz » Fri May 01, 2009 10:48 am UTC

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAHWOOOOOOOOO!
/me goes to reserve a copy, and is disappointed when he sees you can't pre-order yet.
You, sir, name? wrote:If you have over 26 levels of nesting, you've got bigger problems ... than variable naming.
suffer-cait wrote:it might also be interesting to note here that i don't like 5 fingers. they feel too bulky.

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Red Hal » Tue May 05, 2009 2:02 pm UTC

So who's the fan who's got the lucky job of selecting the comics? Count me in for two BTW. I wouldn't want to seem cheap ...
Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."

lu6cifer

Postby lu6cifer » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:01 am UTC

It's June! Been waiting for the book to come out...
lu6cifer wrote:"Derive" in place of "differentiate" is even worse.

doogly wrote:I'm partial to "throw some d's on that bitch."

Jedifreak

Postby Jedifreak » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:28 am UTC

I have one thing to say.

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!
http://www.improbableisland.com/home.php?r=Jedifreak
http://www.geist-panik.com
Jin_Asias wrote:I still think Jedifreak runs off of a vast macro library

Sarda

Postby Sarda » Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:01 pm UTC

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/20/busin ... 0link.html , for those who either don't happen to have an account with nytimes or don't want to bother logging in.
If P AND NOT P then the lotto numbers will be 4, 19, 23, 194, the fine structure constant, and Birmingham.

Return to “Site/Forum issues”