Work safe

Need the mods or admins to do something for you? Post here. Read the "About" post first.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

UltramaticOrange

Work safe

Postby UltramaticOrange » Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:03 pm UTC

At the risk of a flood of people saying, "well, just read it at home, then." I thought I'd suggest a "work.xkcd.com" sub-domain (and/or SSL) for those of use who read XKCD at work and don't want to get XKCD blocked by a corporate firewall only to find themselves facing management answering questions like, "What, exactly, are those stick figures doing?" shortly after said blocking occurs.

MFHodge

Re: Work safe

Postby MFHodge » Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:21 pm UTC

So you would like someone to reveiw all xkcd content, determine what portion of the content is safe for your particular work place, and set it up on a different sub domain? I guess all the comics that say "fuck" would be out, but what about the ones that say "ass". What if a comic features a non-sexual nude stick figure? Is that safe? Do you want the forums on work.xkcd.com, or just the comic?

In summary:
  • Creating a new sub-domain would be a lot of effort for a small audience.
  • Tagging some things as work-safe implies that there is a universal standard, which there isn't.
  • If you work somewhere that would be offended by a drawing of two stick figures in bed, you shouldn't be on the internet at work.
  • No.

hyperion
"I'll show ye...."

Postby hyperion » Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:24 pm UTC

Well, just read it at home, then.

Are you seriously asking for a work safe version of every comic? This would sound ludicrous with any webcomic, but this one?
Peshmerga wrote:A blow job would probably get you a LOT of cheeseburgers.
But I digress.

UltramaticOrange

Postby UltramaticOrange » Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:27 pm UTC

MFHodge wrote:So you would like someone to reveiw all xkcd content, determine what portion of the content is safe for your particular work place, and set it up on a different sub domain? I guess all the comics that say "fuck" would be out, but what about the ones that say "ass". What if a comic features a non-sexual nude stick figure? Is that safe? Do you want the forums on work.xkcd.com, or just the comic?

In summary:
  • Creating a new sub-domain would be a lot of effort for a small audience.
  • Tagging some things as work-safe implies that there is a universal standard, which there isn't.
  • If you work somewhere that would be offended by a drawing of two stick figures in bed, you shouldn't be on the internet at work.
  • No.

Yea, I hadn't thought of all the work involved with creating data for the backlog of comics. Good point.

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:37 am UTC

a work friendly version would have no banner at the top (XKCD picture) and no avatars. Just saying...

also putting all images in some kind of expandable tags rather than just shown would also be more work friendly
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

MFHodge

Postby MFHodge » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:32 am UTC

All of those could be accomplished with a phpBB style. If you find one that you think would be a good addition to the boards, give us a link and we will have a look.

jyripyy

Postby jyripyy » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:10 am UTC

mosc wrote:a work friendly version would have no banner at the top (XKCD picture) and no avatars. Just saying...

also putting all images in some kind of expandable tags rather than just shown would also be more work friendly

Most of that could be done with the UCP (Board Preferences->Display options). I just tested setting "Display images within posts" to "No". It replaces images with links, which isn't exactly what you wanted, but still something. I think that the other settings are self-explanatory.
The xkcd logo can't be removed using the user control panel, though.

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:16 pm UTC

of course I don't ONLY view from work though so It'd be nice if it were easy to switch back and forth IE: a style.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

Return to “Site/Forum issues”