The Great Programming Language Survey, poll #2: like

A place to discuss the implementation and style of computer programs.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

What programming language(s) do you like most?

assembly
1%
Basic (any flavour)
1%
C
9%
C#
5%
C++
12%
D
1%
Fortran
1%
Haskell
8%
Java
6%
Javascript
4%
Lisp: Common Lisp
3%
Lisp: Scheme
4%
Lua
2%
MATLAB
1%
ML
1%
Pascal (any flavour)
1%
Perl
1%
PHP
2%
Prolog
0%
Python
21%
R
1%
Ruby
5%
Scala
2%
SQL
1%
other
6%

Total votes: 283

Jplus

The Great Programming Language Survey, poll #2: like

Postby Jplus » Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:28 pm UTC

Please also vote in poll #1 which you can find here.

Thread rules:
  • Please do not read the spoiler in the thread of poll #1 until you have voted in both polls.
  • Please do not reply to either thread until you have read the spoiler in thread #1.
  • Poll results are not significant until we have at least 100 votes. Do not interpret the results unless both polls have at least 100 votes.
  • You may discuss the setup of the survey in thread #1 in a spoiler.
  • You may post in this thread to name what "other" programming language(s) you like most iff you voted "other".
  • You may post in the other thread to name what "other" programming language(s) you use most iff you voted "other".
  • You may post in this thread to explain why you like these particular languages most, but keep it personal.
  • You may post in the other thread to explain why you are using those particular languages most, but keep it personal.
  • Please do not compare your most-used or most-liked language(s) at the expense of other languages.
  • Please do not react to somebody else's reasons for using or liking a language.

You have ultimate freedom to discuss what you love or hate about a programming language here.
You have ultimate freedom to enter any argumentative discussion about programming languages here.

Edit: For general interest I'll keep track of what people name as "other".
Mathematica (2) -- Erlang (2) -- AutoLisp (1) -- OCaml (1) -- J (1)
Last edited by Jplus on Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:44 pm UTC, edited 4 times in total.

Diadem

Re: The Great Programming Language Survey, poll #2: like

Postby Diadem » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:36 pm UTC

My 'other' vote goes to Mathematica.

It's very powerful for doing mathematics, and I know it well. The syntax ain't perfect, but it's good enough, and it's just too darn powerful to not be fond of.
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

scarecrovv
It's pronounced 'double u'

Postby scarecrovv » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:30 pm UTC

My 'other' vote goes to Erlang.

I haven't had a chance to use it for anything big yet, but I really like the distributed programming model, and I'm keeping an eye out for a fun project to tackle with it.

Cleverbeans

Postby Cleverbeans » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:32 pm UTC

My other vote goes to AutoLisp, a lisp dialect used as an API for AutoCAD.
"Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." - Abraham Lincoln

Link

Postby Link » Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:03 am UTC

Voted C (clean, quite low-level, and much more portable and easier to learn and use than assembly) and Python (very useful for doing things quickly), but I'd like to add that I like C++11 as well, or older versions with heavy use of Boost -- I don't particularly like vanilla C++03 or earlier, however, so I didn't vote C++.

b.i.o
Green is the loneliest number

Postby b.i.o » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:57 am UTC

other: OCaml, when used with the alternate Core/Async standard libraries.

Clojure gets an honorable mention: it's the first language I've seen that does not have big obvious warts. It loses out to OCaml because I haven't used it enough, and also because it's not statically typed.

alessandro95

Postby alessandro95 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:21 am UTC

Other:J. I love is extremely concise syntax
The primary reason Bourbaki stopped writing books was the realization that Lang was one single person.

troyp

Postby troyp » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:37 am UTC

Shouldn't O'Caml go under ML? It doesn't say SML so I interpret it as including both. And possibly F# for that matter (it's not "branded" as an ML, but then would anyone not include Racket as "Lisp: Scheme"?)

b.i.o
Green is the loneliest number

Postby b.i.o » Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:02 pm UTC

Oh, I didn't notice 'ML'.

I'm going to say no, though. OCaml and SML and F# are in the same family of languages, but they're quite different in their specifics.

Jplus

Postby Jplus » Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:36 pm UTC

This poll seems to get significantly fewer votes than the other. Is that because people like fewer languages than they use? Or because some people miss this topic despite all the hints in the other topic?
"There are only two hard problems in computer science: cache coherence, naming things, and off-by-one errors." (Phil Karlton and Leon Bambrick)

coding and xkcd combined

(Julian/Julian's)

Xenomortis
Not actually a special flower.

Postby Xenomortis » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:05 pm UTC

The difference is only about 10%.
Also, it's not unreasonable to think that a person might use two or three languages frequently, but only really like one of them. I voted for two languages in this thread, whereas I voted for three in the other.

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:19 am UTC

Jplus wrote:This poll seems to get significantly fewer votes than the other. Is that because people like fewer languages than they use? Or because some people miss this topic despite all the hints in the other topic?

I think it's a combination of the two. I use SQL on a daily basis at work, but I don't like it. I'm good at it, but it's ugly and a pain in the ass to use for anything more than basic stuff; when it gets complicated, which the projects I have worked on get really complicated, it's messy and horrid. It seems to be like there could be something that is a bit more of a functional set-based language rather than something designed to do everything under the sun in one statement. Other than that, I use C (hobby) and C# (sometimes professionally) and like them both.
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

ahammel
My Little Cabbage

Postby ahammel » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:32 am UTC

It's kind of strange how few people will admit to liking Perl. It used to be the language of choice in my field (biology), and I still run into people all the time who fucking love it.
He/Him/His/Alex
God damn these electric sex pants!

Jplus

Postby Jplus » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:21 am UTC

Maybe the xkcd community is different because of Randall's panel on the gods, Lisp, Perl and Python? (Sorry, too lazy to look it up right now).
"There are only two hard problems in computer science: cache coherence, naming things, and off-by-one errors." (Phil Karlton and Leon Bambrick)

coding and xkcd combined

(Julian/Julian's)

Nyktos

Postby Nyktos » Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:50 pm UTC

Jplus wrote:Maybe the xkcd community is different because of Randall's panel on the gods, Lisp, Perl and Python? (Sorry, too lazy to look it up right now).
This one or this one?

Jplus

Postby Jplus » Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:03 am UTC

I was thinking of the first one.

coding and xkcd combined

(Julian/Julian's)

benkapparate

Postby benkapparate » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:11 pm UTC

Still no votes for SQL. Not surprised that haskell and python do so well in this crowd.

Sheikh al-Majaneen
Name Checks Out On Time, Tips Chambermaid

Postby Sheikh al-Majaneen » Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:24 am UTC

Another other for erlang, though like scarecrovv I haven't had an opportunity to use it for anything big yet.

mousewiz

Postby mousewiz » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:48 pm UTC

benkapparate wrote:Still no votes for SQL. Not surprised that haskell and python do so well in this crowd.

I just started a job where SQL is used like a real language. I've discovered that it's actually kind of cool to work with.

I went with C despite doing more C++ in this poll due to the simplicity of C... I think I like C++ more in principle, but bad C++ code from other people has a tendency to just spoil my day.

korona

Postby korona » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:50 pm UTC

I think the poll shows that programming language "like" is highly subjective and unsurprisingly correlates with programming language "use".
Lua and Ruby only get a small number of votes while Python gets extremely many votes. Those languages follow the roughly the same paradigm. The related JavaScript doesn't get many votes, maybe because of the ugliness of JavaScript code that is used to automate HTML pages.
Haskell gets many votes but its close relative ML (and other functional languages) only got two votes despite the popularity of OCaml in the functional quarter. I'm fairly sure that Haskell is over-represented in this poll. If you'd ask in a functional programming forum ML (aka OCaml) would probably receive many more votes.

ahammel
My Little Cabbage

Postby ahammel » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:49 pm UTC

korona wrote:Lua and Ruby only get a small number of votes while Python gets extremely many votes. Those languages follow the roughly the same paradigm.
Lua is completely different from either Ruby of Python, as far as I can tell.
He/Him/His/Alex
God damn these electric sex pants!

jestingrabbit
Factoids are just Datas that haven't grown up yet

Postby jestingrabbit » Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:25 pm UTC

ahammel wrote:
korona wrote:Lua and Ruby only get a small number of votes while Python gets extremely many votes. Those languages follow the roughly the same paradigm.
Lua is completely different from either Ruby of Python, as far as I can tell.

The big difference between Lua and Python, I would say, is that Lua has no official library. Its all roll your own. Aside from that, language design wise, there is a lot of same.
ameretrifle wrote:Magic space feudalism is therefore a viable idea.

Jplus

Postby Jplus » Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:20 pm UTC

No. Lua is prototype-based, like Javascript. Python and Ruby are class-based. Javascript and Lua are also both very small, lean languages while Python and Ruby are much more extensive. Finally, some syntactic constructs may look very similar, like for-in, but actually work very differently under the hood.

coding and xkcd combined

(Julian/Julian's)

Ptolom

Postby Ptolom » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:35 pm UTC

I chose Scheme and C. I think I may have a split personality.

strake

Postby strake » Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:10 pm UTC

Mathematica: It can be a little cumbersome, but when I have a nasty integral or some messy elementary algebra to do, it's a great ease to have my computer do it, and then FullSimplify.

C: Despite its flaws, notably ¬tuples and (char = byte), it has a spare beauty, which took me a while to appreciate.

Haskell: It just feels so natural. I tell it what to do and if it makes sense, it does it, else the type checker tells me that I'm being a moron.

ucim

Postby ucim » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:09 am UTC

(See also my reply in the other thread)... I "liked" C. It's my fave among the few languages I know, and part of the reason is that I got good at it. I'm not really all that much of a programmer, so am not familiar with many other languages. I notice that Python seems to have a following; perhaps I should look into it. Is it really as simple as "import(competence)"?

Drat! C sin tax again.

Spoiler:
Perhaps a similar poll could be done, but with the question "which languages do you DISlike the most (select up to three)". This could help cancel the Oscars bias (people picking from the languages they know, rather than from the full set). I think like/dislike would be a better metric.
Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

LucasBrown

Postby LucasBrown » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:32 am UTC

ucim wrote:
Spoiler:
Perhaps a similar poll could be done, but with the question "which languages do you DISlike the most (select up to three)". This could help cancel the Oscars bias (people picking from the languages they know, rather than from the full set). I think like/dislike would be a better metric.
Jose
Done: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=107112

Return to “Coding”