PHP Project Ideas

A place to discuss the implementation and style of computer programs.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

free-bee

PHP Project Ideas

Postby free-bee » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:31 am UTC

I am bored and would like a project to work on. I am looking for something not too hard to accomplish. I have made a braille quiz and morse code quiz before, the latter being heavily based on the former. I've made a project that takes MIDI files and converts them to WAVE. I'm currently working on a file download page that asks for a file's "Download Code". You enter a code and, if a file is associated with the code, the file is downloaded. It's to help reduce automated downloads. I got a script working, but haven't implemented it yet.

Anyways, what would you like to suggest for a PHP project? I would prefer the project to be purely PHP based (ie, no javascript, no databases).
my sister wrote:[the sun] can go to Hell and brighten that place up a while.

mwkennedy54

Re: PHP Project Ideas

Postby mwkennedy54 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:01 pm UTC

How about creating a small forum like this? That would give you great exposure to several PHP concepts ($_SESSION, $_COOKIES) along with PHP-MySQL integration to store member information/posts.
"'Remembering that you are going to die one day is the best way to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose." -- Steve Jobs

Here, you may find stylish bow ties & pocket squares.

free-bee

Postby free-bee » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:51 pm UTC

I wrote a member login once. It worked up to the point where I uploaded the files. Then it went all to Hell and never came back. I trashed the files to start from scratch. But that plan went a foot and stopped. I may try again soon now that I have more experience with sessions and stuff.
my sister wrote:[the sun] can go to Hell and brighten that place up a while.

korona

Postby korona » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:00 am UTC

If you like video games you could try to build a small browser game.

Jplus

Postby Jplus » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:16 pm UTC

PHP is normally used for server side web scripting, which makes it unfit for video games and also makes it hard to avoid Javascript (which is normally used to deal with the client side) and databases (which are normally used to handle persistent memory). However, you can also run standalone PHP scripts. Perhaps a submission to Programming Wars round 9? Or perhaps you'd like to work on the adventure browser once started by zed0?
"There are only two hard problems in computer science: cache coherence, naming things, and off-by-one errors." (Phil Karlton and Leon Bambrick)

coding and xkcd combined

(Julian/Julian's)

korona

Postby korona » Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:06 pm UTC

When I said browser game I meant "text based browser game" not "fancy WebGL game". Avoiding a database will be hard, but that will be hard for any server application.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:28 pm UTC

I am just getting back into the open source browser based RPG world. There used to be quite a few php rpg games being developed. It looks like many of them have died out in the past few years as the original developers lose interest and the modding community is not large enough to keep it going.

That said, there is one I have tentatively started work on, ezRPG. It might be worth investigating. Their philosophy is simplicity. They aim at making a very simple rpg engine that has many hooks and plugin points, so that it can be easily modified to suit any need. The community is pretty small, but it does seem to have a few promising coders.

Here is a list ofgames you could start developing/modding, though, as I said, a few of them have gone stale.

http://freevps.us/thread-7746.html

Other than that, modding for something like Wordpress, phpbBB, or some other popular CMS would be a great way to learn and find interesting challenges.

Return to “Coding”