Good tutorial for learning Hibernate (and H2)?

A place to discuss the implementation and style of computer programs.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

douglasm

Good tutorial for learning Hibernate (and H2)?

Postby douglasm » Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:38 am UTC

I have a hobby project in Java where I want to use Hibernate to handle my database interactions, but I've never used it before and I'm having a hard time finding good beginner information about it. All of the official documentation I've found, even the supposed "getting started" and "tutorial" type stuff, is extremely heavy on reference and light on explanation, which makes it nearly useless to a beginner like me.

What I've read of this one so far is pretty much perfect with regard to explaining things, and I have high hopes of understanding most of the core concepts when I finish it, but I'm not sure it covers everything I need yet and, more importantly, it's old and out of date. I've even gotten a deprecation warning trying to use one snippet of its example code.

Does anyone know of a good guide with a similar manner and depth of explanation to that one that's more recent and up to date?

Miscellaneous other details:
My IDE is IntelliJ.
My database engine is H2 in embedded mode. Some of what I want to do might involve this more than Hibernate, but I don't know yet.
I want to be able to create a new database file and load my Hibernate-defined schema into it at run time.
I want to be able to load an existing database file instead if appropriate, with that file specified at run time.
I want to have a number of database files preloaded with data for automated tests. Many of the tests will change the database contents, but I will of course want to discard those changes on test completion.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Return to “Coding”