[RESOLVED] Quick hex editing question.

A place to discuss the implementation and style of computer programs.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

King Author

[RESOLVED] Quick hex editing question.

Postby King Author » Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:11 am UTC

EDIT3: Found out and fixed everything myself. I dunno, I guess Snes9x is just weird, and the sram didn't copy properly the first time. Re-copied the saveram (it's on another device) and rom, loaded it up in ZSNES, created a save state, opened it in Cygnus, go'd to 61F0, collumn E was 08 like it shoulda been, changed it and it worked :)

Now to start seeing if I can FIND offsets :) 'cause I forgot you're supposed to let one villager die in the Ray/Well scenario so you get Cure2 instead of the less-useful Renew, so I'm gonna have to find the offsets for Nina's spells so I can change the Renew I gave her to Cure2.

Also I want to do some hacking myself, down the line. I wanna find the code that determines how many battles Kay and Back's bonuses last and skyrocket it from the utterly-useless one battle to maybe 50 battles, which would make them viable tenants for single-tenant, un-hacked games.

(Also ultimately I want to make a variable-width-font re-translation hack, 'cause the sole existing fan re-translation sucks hard.)

(BTW does anyone know of a SNES emulator with change monitors? It'd make finding the offsets for those bonuses...possible, since it's effectively impossible just by observing in-game effects.)

EDIT4: To whatever bored soul is reading this and was curious, I figured out how to hack spells and replaced Nina's Renew with Cure 2. Happy day!

I'm trying to hack my Breath of Fire II save state using this guide...
http://db.gamefaqs.com/console/snes/fil ... acking.txt

I cracked open my BoF2 save state using a utility called Cygnus I just downloaded, and there is no address "61F3" or "61FE" or whatever. There's 61F0, followed by...
72 D1 72 D1 32 31 C2 AD-2A AB 69 27 1C B8 03 A7

Logically, I figured the final character in 61F* corresponds to the collumn, however, the wrong data is showing up. I have Poo in House 1 (check the guide) so the "E" or 15th collumn there should be 08. Instead it's 03, which would theoretically correspond to a combination of Hekeller and Kay. Not only is that an incompatible combination, there's no way to obtain it in game, and I've been playing legit up 'til this point.

I'm gonna troubleshoot this as much as I can from my end (I'm using Snes9x -- the guide doesn't explicitly state it had to be a ZSNES save state, though in practice, most people use ZSNES -- I'm gonna copy my save file over to ZSNES, save a state there, crack IT open and see if it's different) but wanted to post this topic just in case I'm making some basic, stupid error. I've heard things about reading or writing bytes backwards, or doing some conversions or some such.

If I've made such a basic error, lemme know. If I find out what's the dilly-o, I'll post back and say so.

Thanks ^_^

(P.S. Hex editing is super neat! I've never done it before!)

EDIT: Okay, googling I found out Snes9x compresses its save states. I decompressed it, but still no luck. Now 61F0 shows up as...
FB FF 99 FF B7 FF FF FF-FA FF CC FF F1 FF A7 F7
Still no 08 in 61FE. I'll go try the ZSNES switch now, see if that's different.

EDIT2: Sighhh, okay. For some reason, neither the BoF2 rom nor saveram are loading in ZSNES. I...can't imagine why. Saveram should be saveram should be saveram, there's not supposed to be a such thing as "Snes9x saveram" vs "ZSNES saveram." And all save state conversion guides are going from ZSNES to Snes9x, not the other way around. My quest continues...
I have signitures disabled. If you do, too...you can't read this, so nevermind >_>

You, sir, name?

Re: [RESOLVED] Quick hex editing question.

Postby You, sir, name? » Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:34 pm UTC

This thread reads like a moebius strip.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

King Author

Re: [RESOLVED] Quick hex editing question.

Postby King Author » Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:45 pm UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:This thread reads like a moebius strip.

lol, that was unintentional.
I have signitures disabled. If you do, too...you can't read this, so nevermind >_>

Return to “Coding”