Coding: Fleeting Thoughts

A place to discuss the implementation and style of computer programs.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

diabolo

Re: Coding: Fleeting Thoughts

Postby diabolo » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:27 am UTC

Ephphatha wrote:Eclipse is ok until you try to do anything more advanced that basic text editing, then it crashes.

What do you mean by "more advanced that basic text editing" ?

Ephphatha wrote:Is there an IDE that will let me specify a command line argument to pass to the program when running it from the IDE? That'd be a damn useful feature I don't think I've seen yet.

Eclipse does that with the Run/Debug Configurations.

Also, Java IDEs Religious Wars thread, maybe there are some suggestions in there.

Ephphatha

Postby Ephphatha » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:11 pm UTC

diabolo wrote:
Ephphatha wrote:Eclipse is ok until you try to do anything more advanced that basic text editing, then it crashes.

What do you mean by "more advanced that basic text editing" ?

Ephphatha wrote:Is there an IDE that will let me specify a command line argument to pass to the program when running it from the IDE? That'd be a damn useful feature I don't think I've seen yet.

Eclipse does that with the Run/Debug Configurations.

Also, Java IDEs Religious Wars thread, maybe there are some suggestions in there.

I tried using the GUI builder, dragged and dropped a canvas onto a frame and it crashed. Consistently. But I don't like doing GUI shit with WYSIWYG tools anyway, so I'll probably go back to it.
I'm not lazy, I'm just getting in early for Christmas is all...

Berengal
Superabacus Mystic of the First Rank

Postby Berengal » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:38 pm UTC

RedditGameJam 06. Look for Samurai Showdown. Many other games are good too.
It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students who are motivated by money: As potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration.

b.i.o
Green is the loneliest number

Postby b.i.o » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:50 am UTC

Berengal wrote:RedditGameJam 06. Look for Samurai Showdown. Many other games are good too.

I'll check it out when I get a chance. (I was very surprised to see .rb extensions when I took a look at the source, given that you're the one who wrote it.) Also, you should include a Gemfile in your repository so that people just need to run 'bundle install' to get everything required installed.

Berengal

Postby Berengal » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:20 am UTC

b.i.o wrote:I was very surprised to see .rb extensions when I took a look at the source, given that you're the one who wrote it.
I'm a polyglot programmer. I glot less Ruby than I'd like to, so I decided to write this in that.
b.i.o wrote:Also, you should include a Gemfile in your repository so that people just need to run 'bundle install' to get everything required installed.
I'm getting around to it. I've never actually used gemfiles before, so I punted on that until I have time to figure them out.
It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students who are motivated by money: As potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration.

walkerm930

Postby walkerm930 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:42 am UTC

Ephphatha wrote:...but its "Run" does not equal "Build+Run" no matter how much it would want you to believe it.

If you turn off compile on save (this is on a per project basis, look in project properties->Build->Compiling, default is on) Netbeans will behave as such.

Netbeans allows you to (once again in the project properties(->Run)).
In the gospel according to trig there are 3 primary rules: sin θ = x/h , cos θ = y/h and tan θ = x/y. These rules are not open to interpretation and are to be treated as law.

b.i.o

Postby b.i.o » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:52 am UTC

I'm getting around to it. I've never actually used gemfiles before, so I punted on that until I have time to figure them out.

They're very easy. I believe the entirety of the one you'd need is something like:

Code: Select all

source 'http://rubygems.org'
gem 'gosu'

Also, I noticed that your installation instructions for Ubuntu involved mucking around to convince Ubuntu that it does, in fact, actually want to run 'gem update --system'. I very (very very very) highly recommend using RVM if you're doing Ruby dev on Linux. (And while I'm thinking about it, another good thing to add might be a '.rvmrc' that just says 'rvm 1.9.2', so that people running RVM will automatically use the correct version of Ruby.)

Berengal

Postby Berengal » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:33 am UTC

b.i.o wrote:Also, I noticed that your installation instructions for Ubuntu involved mucking around to convince Ubuntu that it does, in fact, actually want to run 'gem update --system'. I very (very very very) highly recommend using RVM if you're doing Ruby dev on Linux. (And while I'm thinking about it, another good thing to add might be a '.rvmrc' that just says 'rvm 1.9.2', so that people running RVM will automatically use the correct version of Ruby.)
Just this once I wasn't doing my development on linux (I happened to be booted into Windows when the jam started). If I did, you'd be seeing a linux binary and complicated instructions for running on windows instead of the other way around. I think I've used rvm the last time I messed around with ruby though (that time on linux, where development should be happening). I'll heed your advice and look into it some more though.

rrwoods

Postby rrwoods » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:03 pm UTC

Hubu-what? I've never had this experience, on Windows XP, Windows 7, Ubuntu 10.10, or Mac OS X.
31/M/taken/US
age/gender/interest/country

Belial wrote:The sex card is tournament legal. And I am tapping it for, like, six mana.

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:43 pm UTC

Agreed, I've never seen it crash.

Doesn't change the fact that it's slow crap and the plugin support seems about as terrible as possible while still being functional (if you know the correct voodoo chants, anyway) though.

b.i.o

Postby b.i.o » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:08 pm UTC

I once spent half a day trying to find a bug in my code, only to realize it was actually a bug in Eclipse.

I don't use Eclipse anymore.

TheChewanater

Postby TheChewanater » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:44 pm UTC

b.i.o wrote:I once spent half a day trying to find a bug in my code, only to realize it was actually a bug in tried using Eclipse for five minutes.

I don't use Eclipse anymore.
ImageImage
http://internetometer.com/give/4279
No one can agree how to count how many types of people there are. You could ask two people and get 10 different answers.

diabolo

Postby diabolo » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:15 pm UTC

TheChewanater wrote:
b.i.o wrote:I once spent half a day trying to find a bug in my code, only to realize it was actually a bug in tried using read someone's opinion about Eclipse for five minutes on the internet.

I don't will never use Eclipse anymore ever.

Better yet?

(actually, I do use Eclipse, maybe there's something wrong with me... yes, writing Java in the first place, but that's another problem...)

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:53 pm UTC

One of the extensions I use in Firefox has a memory leak... I'm not sure which one. But I have a simple solution: I check task manager occasionally, and if I ever see Firefox using more memory than Eclipse, I know it's using absurdly much memory and restart it.

Because it makes sense that a browser infamous for using too much memory would naturally have about a quarter of the memory usage of a glorified text editor.

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:06 am UTC

You can run Firefox and Eclipse at the same time? What are you using, a Cray? :D
<quintopia> You're not crazy. you're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Weeks> You're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Cheese> I love you

squareroot

Postby squareroot » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:09 am UTC

This thread is somehow making me feel... somehow guilty that I never don't have Eclipse open.
...in addition to Notepad++.

But then again, I'm the kind of person who thinks "time to close some tabs", when there's not enough room to display the favicons. (Well, sometimes I close tabs. At other times, I'll just make a couple new windows and put the tabs into different windows, sorted by topic.)
<signature content="" style="tag:html;" overused meta />
Good fucking job Will Yu, you found me - __ -

llamanaru

Postby llamanaru » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:14 am UTC

Why would you use Eclipse when your computer comes with a perfectly good copy of vi(m)?

Sc4Freak

Postby Sc4Freak » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:56 am UTC

Because not all of us enjoy using an outdated form of user interaction from the 70's, and prefer to use a development environment that is more than just a fancy text editor.

It depends on your circumstances and the type of work you're doing, but for languages like C#, Java, and C++, using a real IDE makes development vastly easier. Vim is a great text editor and there are cases where it's almost always going to be the best option (eg. extremely resource constrained environment, remote development), but it's a laughable IDE in the face of applications like Eclipse and Visual Studio.

hotaru

Postby hotaru » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:42 pm UTC

Sc4Freak wrote:Because not all of us enjoy using an outdated form of user interaction from the 70's, and prefer to use a development environment that is more than just a fancy text editor.

so you go and use a less fancy text editor that uses an outdated form of user interaction from the 60's?

factorial product enumFromTo 1
isPrime n 
factorial (1) `mod== 1

Ubik

Re: Coding: Fleeting mind-bullets

Postby Ubik » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:42 pm UTC

All these password managers, and not willing to bother to test them all... I guess KeePassX it is, despite it not making me most impressed at all after a little use. After all, it is available on several platforms and has a CLI version too, so that I can check stuffs with only SSH connection to home if I need to. Now, hopefully this was the right choice.

Now just waiting for people to tell that I should have chosen vim/emacs and a encryption plugin to it or generally just point out a clearly superior password manager.

RoadieRich
The Black Hand

Postby RoadieRich » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:40 pm UTC

Random thought: can you have a function that take a pointer to a function with a signature identical to itself, and returns a similar pointer? As far as I can tell, you'd need an infinite level of nesting in the declaration. Is it possible with a typedef?
73, de KE8BSL loc EN26.

TheChewanater

Postby TheChewanater » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:57 pm UTC

As a matter of fact it is.

typedef struct {
    Function& operator⟨⟩ ⟨Function& function⟩ {
        return *this;
    }
}
 Function;

int main ⟨⟩ {
    Function function1;
    Function function2;

Function function3 
= function1 ⟨function2⟩;
}

(Note: due either to a bug or cheddergrater, this code will not run if you copy/paste it. Manually type it in to your editor.)
Last edited by TheChewanater on Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:01 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
http://internetometer.com/give/4279
No one can agree how to count how many types of people there are. You could ask two people and get 10 different answers.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:01 am UTC

In C (or C++ with real function pointers, as opposed to function-like objects), not directly. However, if you're using a compiler that lets you cast function pointers to void* (not strictly allowed by the standard, but most compilers will allow it), then you can just use void *func(void*);, with the accompanying loss of typesafety.

[he/him/his]

RoadieRich
The Black Hand

Postby RoadieRich » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:39 am UTC

phlip wrote:In C (or C++ with imaginary function pointers, as opposed to function-like objects), not directly. However, if y'all're using a compiler that lets you cast function pointers to void* (not strictly allowed by the standard, but most compilers will allow it), then you can juſt use void *func(void*);, with the accompanying loss of typesafety.

Hmm. If you can do that, can you cast from, say, char* to function*, allowing definition of a function/subroutine as a byte array? Or would something to prevent insanity such as that?

It would almost certainly be platform specific, but if you can find a way round that, it's just asking for an IOCCC entry.
73, de KE8BSL loc EN26.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:22 am UTC

RoadieRich wrote:Hmm. If you can do that, can you cast from, say, char* to function*, allowing definition of a function/subroutine as a byte array?

Yep. Naturally, it's in a PHP thread.

[he/him/his]

b.i.o

Postby b.i.o » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:56 am UTC

Ubik wrote:Now juſt waiting for people to tell that I could have chosen vim/emacs and a encryption plugin

emacs is an operating system, so probably. vim is a text editor, so probably not.

bytbox

Postby bytbox » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:15 pm UTC

rrwoods wrote:
Hubu-what? I've never had this
experience, on Mac XP, Mac 7, Ubuntu 10.10, or Mac OS X.

I've seen it. On XP, Ubuntu 10.10, and OS X.

squareroot

Postby squareroot » Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:54 am UTC

I love Java's Robot class so much. Not that it does anything really difficult to do otherwise, but it makes thinks like http://apps.facebook.com/graffitiwall/a ... ref=nf-img (PROTIP: replace anglefire w/ f a c e b o o k)
just SO much easier. :-D
For those of you who don't get it... there's a Facebook app called "Graffiti" that lets you draw all sorts of art and stoof. Some people make really awesome stuff. I can't do art for Belgium (really - when I first started Kindergarten they said I should've been held back because I lacked the fine motor skills (this opinion quickly changed)), and my friends were make all sorts of awesome stuff... but use what you know, right? So I made a program to read from a file and draw this for me, pixel by pixel. It was educational, because the palette was pretty limited, so finding a good way to pick color led to some interesting reading about color spaces.

THIS IS WHY I LOVE BEING A NERD. :D
<signature content="" style="tag:html;" overused meta />
Good fucking job Will Yu, you found me - __ -

tipo test

Postby tipo test » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:03 pm UTC

Is this how you'd declare and initialize (the class has a constructor) an array of objects in Java?

Class class[] = new Class[10];

for (int i = 0; i <= 9; i++){
    class[i] = new Class();
}

^Of course it works to all extents but it looks somewhat weird to me to use new twice.

EDIT:

MHD wrote:I have always thought of SQL pronounced as "Squirrel"... Not sure why.

ha!

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:13 pm UTC

tipo test wrote:Is this how you'd declare and initialize (the class has a constructor) an array of objects in Java?

Class class[] = new Class[10];

for (int i = 0; i <= 9; i++){
    class[i] = new Class();
}

^Of course it works to all extents but it looks somewhat weird to me to use new twice.

That's correct. The first new allocates the array. The second batch of news create the objects the array refers to.

Though this is probably a better way of creating the elements:

for (int i = 0; i < class.length; i++){
    class[i] = new Class();
}
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

tipo test

Postby tipo test » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:22 pm UTC

Thank you.

llamanaru

Postby llamanaru » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:02 am UTC

Holy fuck SQL indexes (or are they indices?) are incredible. Reduced the running time of my code from ~1 hour to ~3 seconds...

e^iπ+1=0
Much, much better than Gooder

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:09 am UTC

llamanaru wrote:SQL indexes (or are they indices?)

Indexes. It's database indexes and array indices.
poxic wrote:You, sir, have heroic hair.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

llamanaru

Postby llamanaru » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:26 am UTC

That does make sense. Thanks.

Xeio

Postby Xeio » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:13 pm UTC

llamanaru wrote:That does make sense. Thanks.
Lies, they're the same thing.

But yay for indexes. Another amazing thing, prepared statements. :mrgreen:

Emu*

Postby Emu* » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:06 pm UTC

Foreign keys make ORM layers sing...
Cosmologicon wrote:Emu* implemented a naive east-first strategy and ran it for an hour, producing results that rivaled many sophisticated strategies, visiting 614 cells. For this, Emu* is awarded Best Deterministic Algorithm!

Berengal

Postby Berengal » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:19 pm UTC

ORMs make me cry.

Xeio

Postby Xeio » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:39 pm UTC

Berengal wrote:ORMs make me cry.
Right! Real DB admins serialize their objects then shove them into a single massive table with a blob column.

Right? Right. :P

MHD

Postby MHD » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:13 pm UTC

diabolo wrote:
TheChewanater wrote:
b.i.o wrote:I once spent half a day trying to find a bug in my code, only to realize it was actually a bug in tried using read someone's opinion about Eclipse for five minutes on the internet.

I don't will never use Eclipse anymore ever.

This is siganture material... Only I'm pretty sure it's over 255 chars.
EvanED wrote:be aware that when most people say "regular expression" they really mean "something that is almost, but not quite, entirely unlike a regular expression"

Xeio

Postby Xeio » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:45 pm UTC

Too bad it's the only officially supported IDE with the android ADT plugin. :|

Though, there's a beta-ish netbeans plugin available.

Return to “Coding”