(or, Java as a second language)

A place to discuss the implementation and style of computer programs.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

andqso

(or, Java as a second language)

Postby andqso » Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:58 am UTC

I'm curious if native English speakers have any noticeable advantage over others when learning to program.

Initially, I would imagine that there's no advantage, since programming languages (with the notable exception of COBOL and friends) don't really resemble any spoken language, being exclusively declarative and mostly symbols.

On the other hand, enough standard keywords (e.g. goto, for, while, if) and library classes are given English names that I can see how it might be problematic to keep all of the words straight, particularly for people coming from pictographic languages.

Obviously it's not a real hindrance, but I would be curious to hear what people's experiences have been.

*edit* my inner pedant compels me to move an apostrophe before anyone else notices my mistake

photosinensis

Re: (or, Java as a second language)

Postby photosinensis » Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:14 am UTC

Generally, I've found that having a working knowledge of the written English language does help with writing code in most languages. This is mostly due to the fact that computer science (hence code) was mostly an American/British enterprise in its infancy. The other fact is that code documentation is generally more widely available in English than it is in any other language.

That said, the native language benefits disappear in a large number of esoteric languages (think Brainfuck and friends, with a mention for var'aq for you Klingon enthusiasts), where the programming language is based entirely on symbols (or in the case of var'aq, an artificially constructed language that cannot be learned natively). Here, you can remove yourself to the more abstract parts of programming. The same can at least nominally apply to any OISC, where the programming construct can be changed to pretty much any human-readable set of symbols with nominal changes to the interpreter/compiler/assembler (if you were to make a metal OISC). Of course, with these languages, one still has the problem of having English dominant documentation.
While I clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning,
And my heart was filled with mournng, mourning for my dear amour.
"'Tis not possible!" I uttered, "Give me back my free hardcore!"
Quoth the server: 404.

Pathway
Leon Sumbitches...?

Postby Pathway » Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:12 am UTC

Java is very conducive to writing expressions that almost make sense in English, so I'd agree that English gives one an advantage. Which isn't to say that nonnative speakers can't become more fluent than most native speakers, given talent and time.
For example:

Code: Select all

if (this.isEmpty())
     this.fill();

I'll try to find something better.

Code: Select all

if (!inFile.exists() || !inFile.canRead()) {
            System.err.println("Problem with input file!");
            System.exit(1);
         }

Yeah, this works. It's really easy to understand if you know English and understand what ! means. It can almost be transcribed as an English-language sentence. I'd imagine that the meanings of each of those first two method calls are a bit more opaque if English isn't your first language.
SargeZT wrote:Oh dear no, I love penguins. They're my favorite animal ever besides cows.

The reason I would kill penguins would be, no one ever, ever fucking kills penguins.

Hurduser

Postby Hurduser » Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:20 pm UTC

It makes a difference. I started as Pascalian, but I used mostly German function names. I found those easier to remember than the English ones. Also the fact that most documentation is only in English is suboptimal...
Frag mal nach im IRC
'zum Kotzen' das heisst dort XP.
Win2k, nur so zum staunen,
hat mehr Bugs als nur zweitausend.

enk

Postby enk » Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:29 am UTC

Hurduser wrote:It makes a difference. I started as Pascalian, but I used mostly German function names. I found those easier to remember than the English ones. Also the fact that most documentation is only in English is suboptimal...

Non-english variable and function names also make it easier to avoid conflicts with reserved words.
phlip wrote:Ha HA! Recycled emacs jokes.

Hurduser

Postby Hurduser » Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:43 am UTC

Well, if I look at something I read it in my head... and then it's a bit weird if the language switches too often.
Frag mal nach im IRC
'zum Kotzen' das heisst dort XP.
Win2k, nur so zum staunen,
hat mehr Bugs als nur zweitausend.

Return to “Coding”