Mother...

A place to discuss the implementation and style of computer programs.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

pepsi

Mother...

Postby pepsi » Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:54 pm UTC

This is upsetting me.

I want to make a bunch of objects travel in random directions. You'd think that y_velocity=Math.sqrt(1-Math.pow(x_velocity,2)), right? But squaring and square rooting numbers leads to the loss of some really important information and I end up with a not so uniform distribution:

Is there any way that I can a uniform distribution? So far I have this, were sign(double a) just gives a random sign and object is an array list of objects:

Code: Select all

void ring()
   {
      for(int a=0;a<1000;a++)
      {
         object b=new object(width/2,height/2);
         object.add(b);
         b.yv=sign(Math.sqrt(1-Math.pow(b.xv=sign(random.nextDouble()),2)));
      }
   }

fazzone

Re: Mother...

Postby fazzone » Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:08 pm UTC

pepsi wrote:

void ring()
   {
      for(int a=0;a<1000;a++)
      {
         object.add(b);
      }
   }

So "object" is an instantiable type that either inherits from or contains an ArrayList<object> of all its instances? What? First, why would you want to do this, ever, and second, if you have to do it, why not just add stuff to the ArrayList automatically in the constructor? Maybe it's just a typo...

Getting back to the point, you could always blame the PRNG. I know that the java.util.Random class is just a simple LCM PRNG, so that could easily be the cause of your problems. You could try using Xorshift, a simple-to-implement and significantly more 'random' PRNG, but I'm sure that there are approximately six million Java serious PRNG projects that use the Mersenne Twister or what-have-you. I doubt that your math is to blame for the non-random distribution.
*/

jaap

Postby jaap » Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:10 pm UTC

Try randomly choosing an angle z between 0 and 2*pi, and then let xv=cos(z), yv=sin(z).

At the moment you are uniformly choosing xv, which means the near vertical parts of the circle have fewer points since they span a smaller range of xv.

pepsi

Postby pepsi » Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:14 pm UTC

fazzone wrote:
pepsi wrote:

void ring()
   {
      for(int a=0;a<1000;a++)
      {
         object.add(b);
      }
   }

So "object" is an instantiable type that either inherits from or contains an ArrayList<object> of all its instances? What? First, why would you want to do this, ever, and second, if you have to do it, why not just add stuff to the ArrayList automatically in the constructor? Maybe it's just a typo...

Getting back to the point, you could always blame the PRNG. I know that the java.util.Random class is just a simple LCM PRNG, so that could easily be the cause of your problems. You could try using Xorshift, a simple-to-implement and significantly more 'random' PRNG, but I'm sure that there are approximately six million Java serious PRNG projects that use the Mersenne Twister or what-have-you. I doubt that your math is to blame for the non-random distribution.

Object is simply an ArrayList of objects. An object is just a class I created to stores a few doubles.

pepsi

Postby pepsi » Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:19 pm UTC

Jaap, I love you! It works perfectly! :)

Cosmologicon

Postby Cosmologicon » Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:48 pm UTC

Another technique that works for 3 dimensions as well as 2 is to choose a random point in the unit circle (or sphere), then normalize it. You can choose a random point uniformly from the unit circle by choosing vx and vy uniformly from [-1, 1], and repeating until vx^2 + vy^2 <= 1.

For 2-D I usually go with jaap's solution, though.

notzeb
Without Warning

Postby notzeb » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:24 pm UTC

Choose x and y independently from a Gaussian normal distribution. Then normalize the resulting vector.

This works because the probability density of being at point (x,y) is e^(-x^2)*e^(-y^2) = e^(-x^2-y^2) = e^(-r^2), which is rotationally invariant.

This trick works in any number of dimensions.

Edit: coincidentally, in three dimensions any individual coordinate will end up uniformly distributed between -1 and 1, so you can choose a random point on the sphere by first choosing the z coordinate uniformly at random and then choosing a random angle to determine the x and y coordinates. This doesn't work in any number of dimensions other than three, though.
Zµ«V­jÕ«ZµjÖ­Zµ«VµjÕ­ZµkV­ZÕ«VµjÖ­Zµ«V­jÕ«ZµjÖ­ZÕ«VµjÕ­ZµkV­ZÕ«VµjÖ­Zµ«V­jÕ«ZµjÖ­ZÕ«VµjÕ­ZµkV­ZÕ«ZµjÖ­Zµ«V­jÕ«ZµjÖ­ZÕ«VµjÕ­Z

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:14 am UTC

Cosmologicon wrote:Another technique that works for 3 dimensions as well as 2 is to choose a random point in the unit circle (or sphere), then normalize it. You can choose a random point uniformly from the unit circle by choosing vx and vy uniformly from [-1, 1], and repeating until vx^2 + vy^2 <= 1.

Is there any particular reason not to use

phi = rand(): 0 < phi < 2pi
theta = rand() : 0 < theta < pi

x = sin(theta)cos(phi)
y = sin(theta)sin(phi)
z = cos(theta)

For 3D?
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

notzeb
Without Warning

Postby notzeb » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:27 am UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:
Cosmologicon wrote:Another technique that works for 3 dimensions as well as 2 is to choose a random point in the unit circle (or sphere), then normalize it. You can choose a random point uniformly from the unit circle by choosing vx and vy uniformly from [-1, 1], and repeating until vx^2 + vy^2 <= 1.

Is there any particular reason not to use

phi = rand(): 0 < phi < 2pi
theta = rand() : 0 < theta < pi

x = sin(theta)cos(phi)
y = sin(theta)sin(phi)
z = cos(theta)

For 3D?
Yes.

It doesn't work.

In my post above I wrote what actually does work in 3d. (Why doesn't what you wrote work? Think about the rule for integrating in spherical coordinates - you have to multiply the integrand by rsin(theta), not r.)
Zµ«V­jÕ«ZµjÖ­Zµ«VµjÕ­ZµkV­ZÕ«VµjÖ­Zµ«V­jÕ«ZµjÖ­ZÕ«VµjÕ­ZµkV­ZÕ«VµjÖ­Zµ«V­jÕ«ZµjÖ­ZÕ«VµjÕ­ZµkV­ZÕ«ZµjÖ­Zµ«V­jÕ«ZµjÖ­ZÕ«VµjÕ­Z

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:32 am UTC

Hmm, I guess that makes sense.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Return to “Coding”