Linux C++ IDE Recommendations

A place to discuss the implementation and style of computer programs.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

GourdCaptain

Linux C++ IDE Recommendations

Postby GourdCaptain » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:36 pm UTC

I recently started the third computer programming course here at Wright State University, and while in the previous two classes we programmed in Java in NetBeans, this class has switched to Visual Studio 2008 and C++. (At least we get free VS2008 copies through the department. Unfortunately, its a free download so I got to have fun downloading a 3.1GB file over the slow dorm ethernet). While VS is... adequate, I dislike having to use my VirtualBox install of Windows XP every time I want to get programming for class. We're allowed to use different IDE's (they won't support them of course, but they're allowed). Does anyone know of a Linux IDE that supports C++ with relatively NetBeans-ish like hilighting/pre-compile error detection features?

Yeah, I know, I'm probably a lousy programmer for liking Netbeans, but at this point I'm willing to take it to get into this class (the professor seems to think we all already know C++, which none of us do. I finally today a week into the class figured out header files on my own after a few bad misconceptions I got). This class is mostly algorithms with no GUI coding, by the way. (And I know the code will run on linux because the professor wrote it all there. For some reason VS is required for the class by the department. :? )

transient

Re: Linux C++ IDE Recommendations

Postby transient » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:39 pm UTC

I'm not completely sure about "NetBeans-ish like highlighting", but Eclipse has a C++ "mode / plugin" that works very well. In fact, the only thing that I like in Visual Studio over Eclipse is the debugger. (Both VS2010 and Eclipse have "pre-compile" error detection).

insom

Postby insom » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:44 pm UTC

There will always be some annoying dude recommending vim even if it's not all what the OP is requesting. ...ummm...hi...
Normal cynics think they are realists. Hardcore cynics know they are optimists.
Woo I draw stuff - how incredibly awesome

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:47 pm UTC

GourdCaptain wrote:Does anyone know of a Linux IDE that supports C++ with relatively NetBeans-ish like hilighting/pre-compile error detection features?
Um... Netbeans?

GourdCaptain

Postby GourdCaptain » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:52 pm UTC

Xeio wrote:
GourdCaptain wrote:Does anyone know of a Linux IDE that supports C++ with relatively NetBeans-ish like hilighting/pre-compile error detection features?
Um... Netbeans?

The problem is (at least as far as I can tell), Netbeans C++ plugin isn't nearly as functional as their Java support. It doesn't do the same level of hi-lighting and code lookup, and when you run code it does it in an external xterm window (which one, looks really ugly).

GourdCaptain

Postby GourdCaptain » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:53 pm UTC

transient wrote:I'm not completely sure about "NetBeans-ish like highlighting", but Eclipse has a C++ "mode / plugin" that works very well. In fact, the only thing that I like in Visual Studio over Eclipse is the debugger. (Both VS2010 and Eclipse have "pre-compile" error detection).

I'll have to check out Eclipse some more. Plus, I haven't looked at MonoDevelop yet.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:10 pm UTC

GourdCaptain wrote:
Xeio wrote:
Um... Netbeans?

The problem is (at least as far as I can tell), Netbeans C++ plugin isn't nearly as functional as their Java support. It doesn't do the same level of hi-lighting and code lookup, and when you run code it does it in an external xterm window (which one, looks really ugly).

Lolwut? What does aesthetics have to do with anything? Anyway, Eclipse's C/C++ environment isn't much better. It's got some pretty serious bugs, and is in lack of a better words a pain in the nether regions to work with,... as has been previously discussed in CFT.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

RoadieRich
The Black Hand

Postby RoadieRich » Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:52 pm UTC

73, de KE8BSL loc EN26.

0xBADFEED

Postby 0xBADFEED » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:03 pm UTC

QtCreator is supposed to be good. I haven't used it. For something this small a new IDE you're unfamiliar with will probably complicate your life more than it helps you.

Just use a programmer's text editor (Kate, gEdit, Emacs, vim, whatever), the command line, and make files. If you don't already know how to do that, learning how will probably be the most valuable experience you get out of the class.

kashey

Postby kashey » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:30 pm UTC

- Eclipce CDT
- MonoDevelop
- Anjuta

Briareos

Postby Briareos » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:49 pm UTC

insom wrote:There will always be some annoying dude recommending vim even if it's not all what the OP is requesting. ...ummm...hi...
I am that annoying dude.

I have a friend who uses Eclipse, though. That's as much as I know about IDEs.
Sandry wrote:Bless you, Briareos.

Blriaraisghaasghoasufdpt.
Oregonaut wrote:Briareos is my new bestest friend.

Xeio

Postby Xeio » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:24 am UTC

GourdCaptain wrote:The problem is (at least as far as I can tell), Netbeans C++ plugin isn't nearly as functional as their Java support. It doesn't do the same level of hi-lighting and code lookup, and when you run code it does it in an external xterm window (which one, looks really ugly).
Even their recent versions? I thought they improved integration with C a bit, though maybe that didn't extend to C++ as much as I'd have hoped. I think it wasn't until around 6.5 or so they even supported gdb from inside the IDE.

evilbeanfiend

Postby evilbeanfiend » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:27 am UTC

i think the trouble is here that c++ is a lot harder language to parse than c or java. c++ ide tools are much less useful because of this (also why the compiler is much slower). imho you are better off with a rich editor rather than an ide for c++
in ur beanz makin u eveel

BlandSauce

Postby BlandSauce » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:57 pm UTC

0xBADFEED wrote:QtCreator is supposed to be good. I haven't used it.
I just started using this for a project in class. (The teacher actually told us to use KDE3, but there were problems with that).
It's the first IDE I've used other than Visual Basic years ago, and since I can't really compare it to others, I'll say that it's at least usable for somebody that hasn't had much experience with IDEs. Notepad++ was my editor of choice on everything previously (and still will be for most of my work).

Just a bit of annoyance I've run into, the context menu doesn't work that well when I backspace. For example, if I typed "someobject->" a context menu will pop up with member functions and such, so I might start typing "rotate", but decide partway through that I want to use setRotation instead. If I want the context menu back, I have to erase the -> (or . if that's the case) too.
You might also have to mess with the compiler/make configurations. It uses something called qmake by default, which I'd never run into before. (I know you can change this, though)
Now I'm rambling. I hope this helps you form an informed decision or something. :P

TheChewanater

Postby TheChewanater » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:40 pm UTC

cat >

Actually, you're best off just using a (probably graphical) text editor such a Gedit.
ImageImage
http://internetometer.com/give/4279
No one can agree how to count how many types of people there are. You could ask two people and get 10 different answers.

maafy6

Postby maafy6 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:51 am UTC

In my experience, QtCreator is almost passable. It may have been the version I got, but I found it to be very buggy, with occasional highlighting errors. Depending on your version of Linux, Qt itself may be problematic and prone to random question (RHEL 5.2, I'm looking at you.)

|Erasmus|
Branson

Postby |Erasmus| » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:39 am UTC

TheChewanater wrote:cat >

Actually, you're best off just using a (probably graphical) text editor such a Gedit.

or Kate. Plus it's fun to talk about Kate because people who don't know better think you're talking about a person...

Berengal
Superabacus Mystic of the First Rank

Postby Berengal » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:44 am UTC

I doubt there's any official pronunciation of gedit so you can get away with pronunciating it Judith.
It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students who are motivated by money: As potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration.

Xeio

Postby Xeio » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:03 am UTC

Berengal wrote:I doubt there's any official pronunciation of gedit so you can get away with pronunciating it Judith.
G-edit isn't sufficient? Or probably geddit, because people can't stand more than one syllable (one day, I swear, I'll make a time machine and go back and stare angrily at whomever decided dropping a single letter from a word was worth it to save space, here's looking at you elsif).

Briareos

Postby Briareos » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:50 am UTC

Xeio wrote:(one day, I swear, I'll make a time machine and go back and stare angrily at whomever decided dropping a single letter from a word was worth it to save space, here's looking at you elsif).
Brian Kernighan wrote:Ken Thompson was once asked what he would do differently if he were redesigning the UNIX system. His reply: "I'd spell creat with an e."
Sandry wrote:Bless you, Briareos.

Blriaraisghaasghoasufdpt.
Oregonaut wrote:Briareos is my new bestest friend.

TheChewanater

Postby TheChewanater » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:58 pm UTC

Offtopic, but I pronounce it Gee-edit. I also find it hard to believe that GNU is supposed to have one syllable.
ImageImage
No one can agree how to count how many types of people there are. You could ask two people and get 10 different answers.

bieber

Postby bieber » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:47 pm UTC

TheChewanater wrote:Offtopic, but I pronounce it Gee-edit. I also find it hard to believe that GNU is supposed to have one syllable.

It isn't. The proper pronunciation is guh-new. I'd find a reference for you, but my Internet is crap right now: it took me like five refreshes just to get this reply page to load...

Agent_Irons

Postby Agent_Irons » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:40 am UTC

I'm making a point to learn vim mostly because it's essentially guaranteed to be on the host machine, and isn't half bad.

alecbenzer

Postby alecbenzer » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:43 pm UTC

Another vote for a text editor/command line tools over an ide. I haven't really played around with too many ides on linux for C++. I used Eclispe CDT very briefly, and wasn't terribly thrilled with it (don't remember specifics, but I think there were a few bugs, and it being slow kinda ticked me off). The only real ide experience I have was back in my windoze days playing around with DirectX in VC++. I was pretty impressed by it, as much as I wouldn't like to admit it. :P But anyhoo, on linux I pretty much just stick to using a text editor. All my excursions into IDE land, especially for C++, have ended rather quickly.

Specifically, I use kate when I have access to an X session, vim otherwise. At least right now though, I've gone from gedit to geany (which someone actually did mistake for a person once) to emacs to gedit again to vim for everything to my current setup, probably with some other things in between that I've forgotten. I'm rather in love with kate at the moment (lol, very easily mistaken to refer to a person), though I'm sure my tastes will change at one point, as they tend to. That's the thing I love about using plain text editors though. You can switch between them freely without messing up your projects in any way. There's no ide specific build system or project management getting in the way. Honestly, the concept of an ide seems very anti-unixy to begin with (though I can definitely see the appeal).

P.S. Worth noting that I do have QtCreator's page open on another tab at this very moment.... might be trying that soon. :/
"This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time." - Chuck Palahniuk
Think globally, work in local variable scope.
Spoiler:
The Game. You just lost it.

bieber

Postby bieber » Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:05 am UTC

Personally, I love using Emacs for C (zomg, the auto-indent is AMAZING), and I'd use it for everything if it had autocomplete, but of course it doesn't. So, when it comes to Java or C++, I've been using Eclipse (although I've switched the past couple of weeks to QT Creator for C++. It's not as complete as I'd like, but it is really promising, and I at least prefer it to Eclipse's CDT crap). Of course, I've also been too much of a sissy to properly learn to use the GNU autotools thus far, so having an IDE take care of build stuff is handy as well...

evilbeanfiend

Postby evilbeanfiend » Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:11 pm UTC

bieber wrote:Personally, I love using Emacs for C (zomg, the auto-indent is AMAZING), and I'd use it for everything if it had autocomplete, but of course it doesn't.

er emacs has several auto-complete modes dabbrev-expand (M-/ by default iirc), hippie-expand, tags etc.

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/CategoryCompletion

bieber

Postby bieber » Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:08 pm UTC

evilbeanfiend wrote:
bieber wrote:Personally, I love using Emacs for C (zomg, the auto-indent is AMAZING), and I'd use it for everything if it had autocomplete, but of course it doesn't.

er emacs has several auto-complete modes dabbrev-expand (M-/ by default iirc), hippie-expand, tags etc.

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/CategoryCompletion

Do any of these scan through include files and such the way an IDE does, or are we just talking about closing HTML tags and such (sorry, I don't have time to look over the page just yet)? If so, you may very well have just made my day :D

evilbeanfiend

Postby evilbeanfiend » Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:27 pm UTC

yes some of them do, but may take some setting up iirc. personally i just stick with dabbrev-expand which is very simple but will complete from tests and comments

also http://freshmeat.net/projects/gccsense

v1nsai

Postby v1nsai » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:01 pm UTC

I just started using eclipse-cdt and I'm really liking it, it catches a lot of errors in logic and syntax before you even compile, and the autocomplete context menu gives great refresher explanations on whatever function your using.

Also, gedit + yakuake have been my main tools for years.

0rm

Postby 0rm » Sun May 02, 2010 6:56 pm UTC

I personally don't like Eclipse very much. It is good for Java work because that is what it is made for, but after a few days of using it, I could feel myself becoming very lazy. I prefer Code::Blocks for my C++ work on both windows and linux because it allows me to maintain a consistent workflow across platforms. Not only that, but I would imagine that one could use Code::Blocksa project file (made in XML, of all things) to write a Makefile. I haven't taken the time to learn very many command line tools (anyone wanna pop my command line build cherry properly?)

As for using other build methods, there's always CMake.
They say it's unhackable; I think it can be hacked.
They say it's fast; I think it could be faster.
They say it's the best; I think it can be done better.

TheChewanater

Postby TheChewanater » Mon May 03, 2010 12:45 am UTC

0rm wrote:As for using other build methods, there's always CMake.

I don't really like how some projects use CMake. It's not installed by default on any platform I've ever used, it's more complicated to use, and I'd hate to have another dependency. Just use a ./configure script and make.
ImageImage

Return to “Coding”