Chrome OS download should = upload to online storage

A place to discuss the implementation and style of computer programs.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

spartahawk

Chrome OS download should = upload to online storage

Postby spartahawk » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:19 pm UTC

I've been looking all over for this and it's nowhere to be found. An ideal Chrome OS extension would be one that makes any downloading automatically just upload the file to an online storage like Google Docs or maybe Dropbox. Whoever does this will make one of the most popular Chrome OS extensions out there. Until it's done it won't be truly working in the cloud. Sure you could do it manually everytime but what a pain. Anyone up to the challenge? :shock:

kmatzen

Re: Chrome OS download should = upload to online storage

Postby kmatzen » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:22 pm UTC

Open IT Online
Ultimate Google Docs Viewer

There's also Microsoft Live which gives you free online versions of the Office products and 25 GB of storage on Skydrive. Most people using Chrome OS would probably turn their noses up at something Microsoft makes though and so no one would probably make the necessary extension. 2.5 GB on Dropbox isn't exactly much if you want many of your documents to live there.

spartahawk

Postby spartahawk » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:14 pm UTC

kmatzen: We're all very aware that online storage is available, including online storage that syncs with folders on your hard drive. That's not what I'm getting at. I'm talking about eliminating personal hard drive storage. In other words, when the browser "downloads" anything, it doesn't need to stay on your hard drive but gets copied to online storage and hopefully deleted from the hard drive directly afterward.
Last edited by spartahawk on Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:19 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Ankit1010

Postby Ankit1010 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:53 pm UTC

Just make a partition on your computer linked as a network drive to the online storage, and save it to that partition.

kmatzen

Postby kmatzen » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:37 pm UTC

If you click a link to download a document, you probably want it on the local machine for that moment anyway. Just map a network drive like Ankit1010 mentioned. If you don't want the local copy to take up local storage after the download, I know there is a Windows Azure program that just acts like a drive, but is connected to your cloud storage. It's similar in feel to sshfs.

Otherwise, a client-side extension isn't going to help you. You would either need the source and destination services to agree to transfer the data directly between them or you would need a third party to do so. This makes sense if the source and destination are both Google which is what they do now when you click on a Google Docs compatible doc in Google Search. That doesn't really have anything to do with your OS or browser though. However, they are going to have to be careful to avoid antitrust if they start shipping an OS with only one possible browser and all of their own products tie directly into it.

Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

Postby Yakk » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:05 am UTC

Moving it from one website to another is challenging.

Web connections are no longer usually stateless. So the website that does the snarfing for you needs to "own" enough of your state. How much? Not sure, but in theory it could go as high as IP address, or further (they own the end of your https sessions!)

The easy solution of having the file download to your tablet, then back up before it even touches your drive (note: it might use your drive as buffer space) is easier.
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

diabolo

Postby diabolo » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:53 am UTC

I just came across a link to a Chrome extension name Cloud Save.

I didn't test it but from the little I read it seems like it does the "download to local then upload to cloud" thing

spartahawk

Postby spartahawk » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:40 pm UTC

Rad man! Yeah actually it does work! With photos as well as download links, at least so far with Dropbox as well as Google Docs. Saweet!

Return to “Coding”