Best Threading and IPC books? (java / cpp)

A place to discuss the implementation and style of computer programs.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

L4nce0

Best Threading and IPC books? (java / cpp)

Postby L4nce0 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:35 am UTC

He guys! I'm in a senior level CS class on computer operating systems. I need some good reference books for Java and C++ Threads. I'm also in the market for reference books for IPC / Socket programming ( C++ specifically, but if one covers Java too I wont complain). I have a bit of time till our next heavily threaded assignment is. I've used this book before ( in the Jr level OS class), threads is less then one page >_> not enough!
Thanks guys!

PS thoughts of reference books + kindle? I'm leaning that way as I hate forgetting my books and as far as I know I can access them on my computer too. ( don't own a kindle yet..)

kmatzen

Re: Best Threading and IPC books? (java / cpp)

Postby kmatzen » Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:43 am UTC

What kind of C++ threads? Is this on Linux? Do you plan on using pthreads or do you have some toolkit like Qt available? Same goes for sockets.

I found this useful for Linux, but if you are on a different platform, then it's not so useful. The book is free as pdfs in the downloads section. You could put them on a Kindle if you would like.
http://advancedlinuxprogramming.com/

Hockeypuck

Postby Hockeypuck » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:13 pm UTC

I've found Java Concurrency in Practice to be pretty good.

Lots of examples, pretty clearly written.

snoose

Postby snoose » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:01 am UTC

I found The Little Book of Semaphores by Downey to be my most useful resource while learning concurrent programming. It mainly focuses on python (and a little C) but the patterns can be easily implemented in most languages. Best of all it's free.

http://greenteapress.com/semaphores/

L4nce0

Postby L4nce0 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:40 pm UTC

kmatzen wrote:What kind of C++ threads? Is this on Linux? Do you plan on using pthreads or do you have some toolkit like Qt available? Same goes for sockets.

I found this useful for Linux, but if you are on a different platform, then it's not so useful. The book is free as pdfs in the downloads section. You could put them on a Kindle if you would like.
http://advancedlinuxprogramming.com/

It looks like it's my choice. The program has to run on linux machines. Though I personally don't care to specialize in Linux programming. ooo free, and I own a kindle ( with no books yet =P)

naschilling

Postby naschilling » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:18 pm UTC

*THE* standard for network and thread programming is "Unix Network Programming," volumes 1 and 2, by W. Richard Stevens. These are strictly C books, but it's one of those books that every programmer should have. B&N and Amazon both have these readily available.

ISBN
Volume 1: 978-0131411555
Volume 2: 978-0130810816
If you don't have walls, why would you need Windows?

L4nce0

Postby L4nce0 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:35 am UTC

naschilling wrote:*THE* standard for network and thread programming is "Unix Network Programming," volumes 1 and 2, by W. Richard Stevens. These are strictly C books, but it's one of those books that every programmer should have. B&N and Amazon both have these readily available.

ISBN
Volume 1: 978-0131411555
Volume 2: 978-0130810816

buying now!

Edit
Price tag is youch! but a drop in the bucket, CSU just upped tuition 1k! Go 50th state for higher ed funding!

naschilling

Postby naschilling » Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:09 pm UTC

L4nce0 wrote:buying now!

Edit
Price tag is youch! but a drop in the bucket, CSU just upped tuition 1k! Go 50th state for higher ed funding!

If you need any help learning the material, I could give you a few pointers.
If you don't have walls, why would you need Windows?

Return to “Coding”