Selling software on eBay

A place to discuss the implementation and style of computer programs.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

Iv

Selling software on eBay

Postby Iv » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:15 am UTC

Hello,
I recently worked as a freelance developer for a company that I wrongly decided to trust and that never payed me for 3 months of work. The contract is now void (I will maybe litigate but it is hard : I am in France and they are in Japan) but I am now left with a software I have no use for. I stumbled on this strange idea : why not sell it on eBay ? Or on a more appropriate auction web site. Does anyone here had experience with such a thing ?

The software I have is a Collada 3D renderer for Android phones. Notably it can render skinned mesh models and animate them. It is written in C/C++ and interfaces with an Android app through JNI. It is a bit of a niche market but I think it might interest some people.

I checked the rules of the forum, knowing that some don't like business-oriented requests, but I didn't see anything against it in the rules, it looks like the good place to ask about that, sorry if it is inappropriate.

thoughtfully

Re: Selling software on eBay

Postby thoughtfully » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:24 am UTC

As you say, it is a bit of a niche market. You'd be better off asking in a forum of Android developers.
Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
-- Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Emu*

Postby Emu* » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:06 am UTC

Or developers of 3D apps.
Cosmologicon wrote:Emu* implemented a naive east-first strategy and ran it for an hour, producing results that rivaled many sophisticated strategies, visiting 614 cells. For this, Emu* is awarded Best Deterministic Algorithm!

kmatzen

Postby kmatzen » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:06 pm UTC

Is it something that someone will actually buy? There already exist 3D engines for Android and there might already be some with collada loaders. I'm not sure where OGRE 3D is in its port for Android or if PowerVR provides the tools in their SDK. The barrier to using those is the licensing though.

Return to “Coding”