Java Programming Question

A place to discuss the implementation and style of computer programs.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

themandotcom

Java Programming Question

Postby themandotcom » Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:33 pm UTC

Hey guys,
I've been looking around and can't seem to find the answer to this: is it possible to create a Java applet which will allow the user to use a "paint" like program, and then save it as an image file?
e^pi*i=WHAT??

sourmìlk
If I can't complain, can I at least express my fear?

Re: Java Programming Question

Postby sourmìlk » Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:47 pm UTC

Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

kmatzen

Postby kmatzen » Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:48 pm UTC

Not a Java applet! Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

The answer to your question is yes. But please choose a better technology. Java applets are so 90's. I've only ever written one and that was after someone explicitly asked me to write it in Java.

Berengal
Superabacus Mystic of the First Rank

Postby Berengal » Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:11 pm UTC

kmatzen wrote:But please choose a better technology. Java applets are so 90's. I've only ever written one and that was after someone explicitly asked me to write it in Java.

Let me link you to a good java applet, and the equally good making off of said applet.

Although yes, java applets are probably not the best way to go if you want something on the web. It's good enough if you want to make something for yourself though, although why you wouldn't just simply use regular Swing for that I don't know.
It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students who are motivated by money: As potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration.

kmatzen

Postby kmatzen » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:32 pm UTC

Berengal wrote:Let me link you to a good java applet

How long is this supposed to take to load? All I get is the coffee cup loading icon (which might be a Mac thing since I thought it used to be a SUN logo with some animation.)

Return to “Coding”