Running C# visual 2010 Express on a mac?

A place to discuss the implementation and style of computer programs.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

karanod

Running C# visual 2010 Express on a mac?

Postby karanod » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:54 am UTC

My school wants me to download and run the program Visual C# 2010 Express. unfortunatly I have a mac and it is a windows program, I tried to download and runn it normally but when it opened in textedit all I got was garbage. do I need an emulator of some sort? I have bootcamp instaled and I tried to open it with Microsoft word but I still just got garbage. Is there some other program I should be opening it with?

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Re: Running C# visual 2010 Express on a mac?

Postby phlip » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:27 am UTC

... what exactly are you trying to open in Textedit or Word? The Visual Studio installer? Because that's... not going to work. It's a program, not a document.

Just run the installer, in Windows (either through Bootcamp or a VM of some kind) and work from there.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

karanod

Postby karanod » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:38 am UTC

when I downloaded it the program Textedit came up saying it was the the default program for this file type, im not used to trying to run windows programs on a mac so how do I run it as an .exe? I have a windows partition on my hard drive but the macintosh computer wont let me store things on that partition unless I boot into mac mode. I would just redownload the file but my windows partition cant seem to find my wifi.

so I guess my main goals are to (A) find a way to run this program in Mac OS X Version 10.6.4 or (B) find a way to move files from my mac partition to my windows partition. I don't have a flash drive available.

letterX

Postby letterX » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:40 am UTC

karanod wrote:when I downloaded it the program Textedit came up saying it was the the default program for this file type, im not used to trying to run windows programs on a mac so how do I run it as an .exe? I have a windows partition on my hard drive but the macintosh computer wont let me store things on that partition unless I boot into mac mode. I would just redownload the file but my windows partition cant seem to find my wifi.

so I guess my main goals are to (A) find a way to run this program in Mac OS X Version 10.6.4 or (B) find a way to move files from my mac partition to my windows partition. I don't have a flash drive available.

Choose (B). Find a friend who has one. I'm pretty confident this will be miles easier than trying to get Visual Studio working in OS X.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:16 pm UTC

I agree. Someone around you will definitely have a removable drive of some sort. If you still have your windows CD, you can also just install it on a VM, and that has easier methods of transfer both ways.
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

sourmìlk
If I can't complain, can I at least express my fear?

Postby sourmìlk » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:30 pm UTC

You can compile C# programs in mono.
Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

kmatzen

Postby kmatzen » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:22 pm UTC

karanod wrote: find a way to move files from my mac partition to my windows partition

Dropbox?

Sc4Freak

Postby Sc4Freak » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:17 pm UTC

Dropbox isn't going to help much if he can't access the internet from Windows. :P

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:23 pm UTC

But.. wait

karanod wrote:I have bootcamp instaled and I tried to open it with Microsoft word but I still just got garbage.

... Doesn't that imply it's already available on the windows partition? Unless I'm making a bad mistake here.
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

_Axle_

Postby _Axle_ » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:17 pm UTC

Bootcamp still has a OS X component, as well and MS Office suite has a OS X compatible version, so what they said never mentioned anything works.

Though, the problem at hand. Both Vista/7 and OS X should both be able to read from NTFS ( Windows File system ) and I think HFS or UFS ( The Apple OS file systems ). If you can't read from them, your partitions might not be setup correctly. I would suggest just wiping the old partition of Windows and reinstalling it or resizing/reinstalling the partition.
Yakk wrote:Computer Science is to Programming as Materials Physics is to Structural Engineering.

TheChewanater

Postby TheChewanater » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:19 pm UTC

sourmìlk wrote:You can compile C# programs in mono.

I second this.
ImageImage
http://internetometer.com/give/4279
No one can agree how to count how many types of people there are. You could ask two people and get 10 different answers.

Return to “Coding”